Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Other than the money, how do you maintain any dignity after going 1-15, potentially going 0-16, and then having a good chance of becoming the coach with the worst win percentage (with more than 50 games coached) in the history of the NFL?

If he doesn’t get a win between now and the end of the third game of the 2018 season, the record is his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What the Browns need is someone like John McKay, who can lose almost every game and provide hilarious quotes like "Those of you who need a shower, take one" and "Based on today, none of our guys is going to go to the Hall of Fame... but then again, neither am I" while doing it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

got any sevens posted:

They were poo poo before he bought them too

Because I had free time:

Haslam got the Browns in 2012.

The worst record for the Cleveland Browns between coming back and the 2011 season was the year they came back, where they went 2-14

As of December 13, they will have not gotten 2 wins in 2 full calendar years (a win Dec 13, 2015 against the 49ers, and a win last Xmas Eve against the Chargers)

Were they poo poo before? Yes. Are they shittier since? Yes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/938953239994748929

Announced in the middle of the TNF game. They news-dumped their own GM hire.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Well....they could have done worse I think? :shrug: If he has to keep Hue as has been reported then uh, have fun

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Well....they could have done worse I think? :shrug: If he has to keep Hue as has been reported then uh, have fun
They will suck rear end regardless, so Hue can be the fall guy.

A great move by the Browns for once.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Could have hired Ken Dorsey for a lot less SMH

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Does the Rooney rule somehow not apply if the guy you fired was black?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Adun posted:

Does the Rooney rule somehow not apply if the guy you fired was black?

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/938954781376335872

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Benne posted:

Hue is going to coach forever lol. Dorsey lost to Andy Reid.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Edit: wrong thread

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He's sticking with Hue

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

He's sticking with Hue

Hue "you lost a struggle with fat Andy. I own you"

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Lmao who did they possibly interview? Sashi Brown?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Adun posted:

The exit interview, obviously.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guy who lost a power struggle to Andy Reid inherits a notorious politicker as his head coach. I'm sure this will end well.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Adun posted:

The hillbilly has been interviewing potential GMs for weeks. Supposedly dating back to Sushi realizing what a loving stupid idea trading two high picks to the loving Bengals for AJ was despite Hue wanting him so badly and not properly closing out the trade.

Sushi lost his job for overruling his idiot inbred crook owner and the backstabbing bullshit artist coach he loves.

Browns.

Also i really think the blame for 1 and 27 is on Hue by a mile, they have drafted a lot of contributors already under Sushi. Hue is such a terrible gameday coach and OC its unreal. He hasnt developed poo poo on offense and until today has refused to get an OC so he can stop being so terribly and obviously overwhelmed.

E: Yeah Sushi passed up Wentz and then Watson directly trading out of the spots they were taken but would either of them have looked as good on the Browns with the many issues they have?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Adun posted:

They've been doing a search for 5-6 weeks apparently

The confidence they have in Hue knowing the time wouldn't be enough to change their mind

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LiquidFriend posted:

They will suck rear end regardless, so Hue can be the fall guy.

A great move by the Browns for once.

Sure he can be the fall guy but they're almost 100% drafting a new QB so why gently caress around with a season that everyone know is gonna suck? Going into a season with a coach who's wearing a 'lame duck' sign around his neck doesn't seem productive for anyone.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Hue signed Gregg Williams to be his DC.

So the lovely defense is on him, too.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Moneyball will continue.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/938959925321109505

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
As loathesome of a person as Gregg Williams is, I actually don't think the Browns' defense is that bad.

There's definitely scheme issues (like why the gently caress is Peppers playing single-high safety when he's mainly suited for in the box work) and their LBs suck, but their d-line is decent on the whole - Garrett is gonna be an excellent player as soon as next year, Shelton is a solid run defender and Ogbah is a decent pass rusher. They went up against a Chargers offense that's been hot the last couple of weeks and basically held them to one TD drive and a bunch of FG attempts when they got into the red zone. They're very raw and inexperienced (and in retrospect letting Tayshaun Gipson leave for the Jags was an egregious blunder even for this organization), but there's something decent on that side of the ball.

The offense? Yeah it's a hot mess. Kizer has a gun, some mobility and basically nothing else going for him, so all that poo poo's on Hue.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Adun posted:

mike singletary. no really

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Sure he can be the fall guy but they're almost 100% drafting a new QB so why gently caress around with a season that everyone know is gonna suck? Going into a season with a coach who's wearing a 'lame duck' sign around his neck doesn't seem productive for anyone.
They may not draft a QB. Dorsey might opt to give Kirk Cousins a contract the Redskins can't match.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Blitz7x posted:

Remember that time Mike Singletary pulled out his dick and started yelling at players that he was a man

Lol

I don't want mike singletarys dick in my search history but im pretty sure he actually just mooned the team saying that's what they're playing like.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

the_american_dream posted:

I don't want mike singletarys dick in my search history but im pretty sure he actually just mooned the team saying that's what they're playing like.

IIRC he only pulled down his pants and kept the underwear on, at worst ending any debate about whether he's a boxers or briefs guy. Still a weird and funny story, but it's not like he was waving his dick around in the locker room.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welp we're due for an update now

WEEK 14

We finally got our first firing of the season as the Giants pulled the plug on McAdoo. Don't be surprised if the dominoes fall quickly now -- nobody wants to be "the first" to make a move, but now that the cat's out of the bag, teams that made up their mind probably won't wait until Black Monday to start their coaching search. Buckle up -- the coaching carousel has officially started turning.

ZERO DANGER

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Todd Bowles, New York Jets
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Mularkey, Tennessee Titans
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys
Jay Gruden, Washington
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals

Bowles has certainly earned respect points this year, flipping the Jets' narrative from tanking losers to scrappy overachievers playing spoiler and fighting for their coach. In other words, nobody should feel safe playing them down the stretch. I have yet to be impressed with BOB or Gruden, but they can play injury cards right now. The AFC West is a total clusterfuck, to the point that Del Rio's underwhelming Raiders are still in the hunt. Aaron Rodgers will come back and save Fat Mike's sorry rear end, as per tradition.

FIRST-YEAR GRACE PERIOD

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

McDermott is back here after getting his senses back, and if Tyrod misses time with the knee injury, he at least has a convenient excuse for going to Peterman.

MILD

Adam Gase, Miami Dolphins: I got nothing left to say about the Dolphins at this point. The white noise of mediocre, uninspiring teams. Will be interesting to see who Gase blames next when he has a healthy Tannehill next year.

Hue Jackson, Cleveland Browns: The Browns fired their GM and hired a new one in less than 12 hours, with the stipulation that he keeps Hue for now. I don't know what sweet nothings Hue whispered into Jimmy Haslam's ear, but going 1-27 and still having job security is a hell of a political win.

Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals: Cincy kinda sorta crawled back in the playoff picture after an 0-3 start, but they're still out of it after a sloppy loss to the Steelers, and Lewis' future is open to speculation once again.

Jim Caldwell, Detroit Lions: Man, how many mediocre-rear end coaches do I have to write about in the Mild space? The Lions are 6-6, dropped plenty of winnable games, and will all be all but eliminated with one more loss. Caldwell is the day-old opened beer you know is skunked, but keep sipping in the faded hopes of a slight buzz. Can we just move on already?

MODERATE

Vance Joseph, Denver Broncos: The more I hear about the Broncos, the more I'm convinced that Joseph is a one-and-done. Elway keeps puffing his chest about "evaluation," and I'm ever more suspicious that firing OC Mike McCoy wasn't Joseph's call. With no QB, and plenty of big egos on both the roster and front office, this has the potential to get really ugly.

Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Is it already time to go back to the drawing board? The Bucs entered the year as trendy contenders, but find themselves out of the playoff race already. Jameis Winston has plateaued instead of taking a leap forward, the defense fell apart, and it's yet another lost season. I'm really not sure where they go from here.

SPICY HOT

Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts: You're still here?

John Fox, Chicago Bears: I can't remember the last time I saw an aging coach so clearly checked out on what he knows is his final HC gig, and just ready for it to end. Would it surprise anyone if Fox already has tickets booked for the Bahamas on Black Monday?

Ben McAdoo, New York Giants: So Ben broke Eli's starting games streak for no good reason, got fired, and Eli gets his job back. Good poo poo, Giants. Really living up to your "classy" self-image.

I've seen some noise about the Giants going after Josh McDaniels or Jim Harbaugh or some other flashy hire, but I don't see it. They already went off-brand by promoting an unproven McAdoo, and after he embarrassed them, they're going the opposite direction into full risk-averse. Get ready for Mike Smith and all sorts of PR puff about him "knowing The Giants Way." Don't say I didn't warn you.

Benne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 8, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Good post.

Almost twice as good as expected.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Post so nice you made it twice.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think a lot of on the fence guys will get fired based on whether or not there's some hot trendy new coaches out there to replace them. As far as I read so far the coaching pool is pretty thin to pull from this year and if 8+ guys get fired there could be a lot of teams settling for their 3rd or 4th choices.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Vance Joseph should be Spicy Hot. He's on track to coach the Broncos to their worst regular season record in franchise history.

And Elway just may very well be a cancer to the organization, yet a bunch of dumb yokel homers will continue to worship him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Imagine the dump truck full of cash that it would take to get John Dorsey in at the Browns.

In retrospect, heh.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What the Browns need is someone like John McKay, who can lose almost every game and provide hilarious quotes like "Those of you who need a shower, take one" and "Based on today, none of our guys is going to go to the Hall of Fame... but then again, neither am I" while doing it

For anyone familiar with him this is like the go to quote from McKay, but it's good enough to repeat. Reporter: “What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” McKay: “I’m all for it.”

...and after looking it up maybe he never actually said that. But it's like McNabb throwing up in the Super Bowl, it's just accepted as fact and if it ain't true it oughtta be.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eli Wiggum posted:

Vance Joseph should be Spicy Hot. He's on track to coach the Broncos to their worst regular season record in franchise history.

And Elway just may very well be a cancer to the organization, yet a bunch of dumb yokel homers will continue to worship him.

What are the cliffs on Elway? I was rooting for him as the old guy back then but it sounds like he has gone off his rocker.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

What are the cliffs on Elway? I was rooting for him as the old guy back then but it sounds like he has gone off his rocker.
AFAIK he has yet to accept responsibility for the fact that they don't have a competent QB and an offensive line worth a drat, all because his ego is too big.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Elway thing is real tough because he's not good at his job but he's also a franchise legend. If he wasn't named John Elway he would probably be seeing the door sometime soon but have fun explaining that move to the fans.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah the Elway thing is real tough because he's not good at his job but he's also a franchise legend. If he wasn't named John Elway he would probably be seeing the door sometime soon but have fun explaining that move to the fans.

he lucked into Peyton Manning but the Broncos went to 2 Super Bowls in the last 5 years & missed the playoffs once (arguably because the head coach stroked out on the sidelines again, they were 9-7 & one more win would've put them past the Dolphins into the wildcard via tiebreaker), he's fine for quite a while unless his post-Joseph coaching hire also shits the bed.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

In retrospect, heh.

For anyone familiar with him this is like the go to quote from McKay, but it's good enough to repeat. Reporter: “What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” McKay: “I’m all for it.”

...and after looking it up maybe he never actually said that. But it's like McNabb throwing up in the Super Bowl, it's just accepted as fact and if it ain't true it oughtta be.

I can't wait to see the details of that contract. It's weird that he would go to Cleveland of all places, unless he just really missed the rust belt.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

No Butt Stuff posted:

I can't wait to see the details of that contract. It's weird that he would go to Cleveland of all places, unless he just really missed the rust belt.

Not that weird. They are the Cubs of football. Imagine being the guy who turned that organization around. Plus, you have a bunch of extra picks waiting for you and a lot of young talent and cap room.

The downside is you only get a week to fix it. :v:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

oldskool posted:

he lucked into Peyton Manning but the Broncos went to 2 Super Bowls in the last 5 years & missed the playoffs once (arguably because the head coach stroked out on the sidelines again, they were 9-7 & one more win would've put them past the Dolphins into the wildcard via tiebreaker), he's fine for quite a while unless his post-Joseph coaching hire also shits the bed.

He also basically turned the 2013 Offensive juggernaut Broncos who couldn't stop anyone into the 2015 defensive juggernaut team in two seasons. It was drat impressive.

He's just not good at QB evaluation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

a neat cape posted:

He also basically turned the 2013 Offensive juggernaut Broncos who couldn't stop anyone into the 2015 defensive juggernaut team in two seasons. It was drat impressive.

He's just not good at QB evaluation

He brought in an insane class of FA agents like Talib, Ward, Ware, Emmanuel Sanders, Wade Phillips and some others I'm forgetting. The main and only good thing Elway has done is that FA haul of 2013/2014. His drafts, handling of coaches, all that other stuff leaves a lot to be desired

• Locked thread