Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

I saw that MASH episode when I was like 12 and I didn't react to it even half as bad then as some of you are now. I'd hate to think of what would happen if you watched something like Dear Zachary.

I saw it when I was 12-ish and it haunted me for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

At least one of them went on to create the same show for the WB and made it darker, which at least made some twisted sort of sense and explains why that show hasn't been seen for nearly twenty years.

I had completely forgotten about Unhappily After After.

I haven't watched that show in drat near twenty years ( :v: ) but I'm certain it hasn't aged well at all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dexie posted:

I had completely forgotten about Unhappily After After.

I haven't watched that show in drat near twenty years ( :v: ) but I'm certain it hasn't aged well at all.

quote:

Jack Malloy (Geoff Pierson): An alcoholic with schizophrenia, cynical and depressed man who hates his wholly unsatisfying job as a used-car salesman and his unhappy marriage. He gets little respect from his family, who think that he is insane or senile. He converses with a stuffed bunny (Mr. Floppy) that only he can hear. His daughter Tiffany is his only real hope in his otherwise depressing life, though he is unaware of how Tiffany often uses him to her own advantage. He and his wife tend to bicker over trivial things and she appears to dominate him. He doesn't really care about his family (except for Tiffany), despite the fact they are the cause of most of his woes. He is the sole source of income for the family and often tries to manage the money he makes, though it never gets to him as he has to pay for bills, food, expenses, allowances, and presents for Tiffany. He is similar to Al Bundy from Married With Children.

:aaaaa:

How the gently caress was this a thing?! 5 seasons, 100 episodes!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have literally never even heard of this show. It's amazing how long things can run sometimes when execs are probably focused on other things

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:aaaaa:

How the gently caress was this a thing?! 5 seasons, 100 episodes!

Just imagine, 100 episodes of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP3jksgr_V0

:suicide:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dexie posted:

:magical:

I'm... extremely happy that this never made it to Israel. I am a better person not having grown up on this, also.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly blown away that this was a thing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm honestly blown away that this was a thing

Five seasons! Five American seasons!

Edit: Also, I knew he was familiar - he played that corrupt rear end in a top hat top-cop in Dexter.

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Dec 9, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How the gently caress was this a thing?!

Nikki Cox was on it, is how.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Basically this, yeah. She became the breakout character pretty early (for obvious reasons), and the show shifted it's focus to be more about her.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So it was literally a ripoff version of married with children with a rabbit puppet

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

So it was literally a ripoff version of married with children with a rabbit puppet

And a pretty girl busting out of pretty much whatever they put her in, yup. I think at some point they started giving her equally-cute friends of the week to supplement the cheesecake.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

quote:

By the show's third season, Tiffany (Nikki Cox) was becoming a breakout character and the de facto co-star of the show along with Pierson. Stories began focusing on Tiffany and Ryan's high school (and later community college) escapades, and the producers attempted to kill-off the increasingly unnecessary character of Jennie, who returned as a ghost. After doing so, however, they quickly reversed their decision because of negative audience reaction. The character was brought back to life in a deliberately bizarre sequence in which a network executive wandered on to the set and announced Jennie's character was no longer dead. Nevertheless, Jennie was soon gone again, as several episodes later, the character abandoned her family for a lesbian lover (Hodge choosing to leave the show) and was never seen again.
The show looks awful, but this part is amazing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was something of a cliche for sitcoms of a certain era to have a talking puppet. (I think it's one of the zillion things that Too Many Cooks mocks) Alf was the populariser?

I'm reminded of Australian kids show The Ferals which has a bunch of college students living with four of talking feral animals played by puppets in their shed. I think focus varied, with one of the humans being clearly a budding mad scientist, but the Ferals themselves eventually got their own shorter-format show, and at least two of them became hosts for other ones.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Dec 9, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Ok that's kind of great

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I vaguely remember watching Unhappily Ever After back when it aired and thinking it was the dumbest show I'd ever seen, perhaps because I'd temporarily managed to block America's Funniest People out of my memory.

If you've never seen America's Funniest People, I dare you to even make it through the Wikipedia article without recoiling.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Laugh-track chat made me think of one of my favourite shows maybe ever: Sports Night.

Thing is, I can’t really comment on how well it’s held up because apart from people I’ve directly exposed to it, I’ve never met anyone else who likes it or even knows what it is. It did have a laugh track though. I’ve just never given that critical thought.

Also, I’ve never seen any of Sorkin’s other stuff, so I’m not qualified on that front either.

It just, hm. The characters really felt like a family to me, if a dysfunctional one. There was a warmth there.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I rewatched all of Sports Night a year or two ago and I don't even remember it having a laugh track. I guess it just felt natural enough that I don't remember it being egregious :shrug:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I always forget the title of Unhappily Ever After. I'd only catch a few minutes here and there, but I keep hearing more and more incredibad things about it that the dial spins back around to something I feel like I have to see to believe.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It's an exceptionally forgettable title. Every time I've seen someone mention the show Greg the Bunny I thought they were referring to this show.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

The best part is how the show was at its best when it was mocking the gently caress out of Al for rightfully being a loser, only to switch around Season Six because the audience somehow identified with him and his trials. I think that's when the creators finally just realized they were getting paid either way and just walked and let the audiences enjoy whatever hell they had created for themselves.

At least one of them went on to create the same show for the WB and made it darker, which at least made some twisted sort of sense and explains why that show hasn't been seen for nearly twenty years.

Edit: also, removing the laugh track from Big Bang Theory (which they couldn't completely do without cutting into lines) really just shows that nobody is really a character, they're all a setup for lovely jokes. How long is one of their scripts, really? About 13-15 pages?

I've clocked certain episodes in at 19 minutes and 24 seconds, and that's WITH theme song and before/after commercial stingers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Rollersnake posted:

If you've never seen America's Funniest People, I dare you to even make it through the Wikipedia article without recoiling.

It just sounds so sad. There was some real potential there, I think, just from the premise. Not from anyone involved.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Olive! posted:

I rewatched all of Sports Night a year or two ago and I don't even remember it having a laugh track. I guess it just felt natural enough that I don't remember it being egregious :shrug:

ABC execs and Sorkin were constantly fighting about it. The show started out with a laugh track and it kept getting quieter until it was completely gone in the first season. Also it wasn't technically a laugh track since the show was insanely filmed in front of a live audience. Another insane thing is that Sorkin wrote the first season of West Wing and the second season of Sports Night at the same time. He needed a ton of drugs to do it though.

Here's some of that painful sitcom stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFKDJPdhMYU

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Dec 9, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The best part is how the show was at its best when it was mocking the gently caress out of Al for rightfully being a loser, only to switch around Season Six because the audience somehow identified with him and his trials. I think that's when the creators finally just realized they were getting paid either way and just walked and let the audiences enjoy whatever hell they had created for themselves.

The creators had gotten a fan letter from a man who said that no matter how crappy his life was at any given point, he knew he could turn on MWC and Al's life would be much worse.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rollersnake posted:

*in stupid throaty voice* "Fast as fast can be! You'll never catch me!!"

Dave Coulier was a cancerous tumor on comedy, even though I was a dumb kid and watched this, Full House, and Out of Control regularly. I started suspecting he sucked back when The Real Ghostbusters ditched Lorenzo Music for him as Peter Venkman. Peter is supposed to sound like Garfield, dagnabbit!

I know what you're thinking, though - *with hand gestures* "Cut. It. Ouuuuut."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Have mercy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dexie posted:

christ - voiced by Bobcat Golthwaite is basically a punchline in itself. How the poo poo could you leave that out?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Mash is like the complete opposite of TV series that didn't age well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYjy7uUn7fc

lmao metal gear solid 4 was less hammy than this when it did the same idea. I'm not American or old so I've never seen Mash but it looks bad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was only bad when it was trying to be serious. When it was trying to be funny it was actually funny.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Good grief.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Haschel Cedricson posted:

In the last season of the show "Til Death", the son-in-law of the main characters had a subplot where he began to realize that their whole existence was a sitcom.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

In the last season of the show "Til Death", the son-in-law of the main characters had a subplot where he began to realize that their whole existence was a sitcom.

Sitcoms do tend to get weird at the end if they've get a proper ending rather than just not being picked up for another season. Roseanne, ALF, Dinosaurs... how many others?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't Dinosaurs end with them causing their own extinction?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think I did, yeah. I remember a pretty traumatic scene with the newscaster dinosaur (without checking I wanna say Howard Handupme) finishing a news broadcast as the snow swirled around him and the ice age was setting in with "Goodnight" like usual, then he added "And Goodbye."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

thankfully, yes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a sitcom I heard about on these forums years ago and apparently the last season was absolutely insane.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Sunswipe posted:

Sitcoms do tend to get weird at the end if they've get a proper ending rather than just not being picked up for another season. Roseanne, ALF, Dinosaurs... how many others?

3rd Rock from the Sun ends with John Lithgow meeting an alien from the same planet as him, and he plans to turn the population of earth into chimps to make earth a theme park. John Lithgow steals his device and turns him into a chimp, so the family is sent home as punishment. I'll be honest, though, I don't actually remember if that's weirder than the show already was.

Did 3rd Rock age well? I hope so.

ThePlague-Daemon has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Dec 9, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

How do you get a baby to be quiet without smothering it, presumably because there are Charlies in the trees?

Asking for a friend.

Considering it's a baby and she's the mother I can think of one really easy way to make the baby stop crying, but that would have probably gotten more angry letters than killing the child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

There was a sitcom I heard about on these forums years ago and apparently the last season was absolutely insane.

Roseanne? There's a few candidates.

How I Met Your Mother kinda notoriously went out on a wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

One Foot in the Grave killed off the main character and implied his wife murdered the person responsible.