Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm I hope it's not too easy because I didn't find 1.0 ish horizon particularly hard, it's more just a change in the style of what you're doing, it turns it into more resource management where you try to avoid getting shot or spending bullets unhelpfully and I liked that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
It's not too easy. But it's not this unapproachable wall. It reminds me a lot of the difficulty curve of Fallout 2.

EDIT: For those concerned about carryweight, the "Strict Carryweight" option in the mod installer does the following:

quote:

This addon makes carry weight stricter.

- Strong Back is reduced to the vanilla values
- Pocketed and Deep Pocketed mods are reduced to the vanilla values
- The Cargo Bots only gives 20 Carry weight each
(possibly more to come later)

So, yeah, if you want that extra punishment, it's there for you.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 9, 2017

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
There are also plenty of ways to customize the difficulty. Not taking perks like Hunter or Technologist will substantially slow your progress in their associated fields, putting more strain on your other income sources.

And of course there are always good ol' challenge runs. Pick any of a dozen mechanics to ignore (settlements, doctors, vendors, looting, scrapping, crafting, stealing, sneaking, cooking) and you'll be pissing blood all the way to level 15.

source: my piss is currently 97% blood and 3% radiation

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I'm thinking of getting back into the game because ofthis Architect mod, but I have a couple questions. Do Horizon and the Loot Overhaul play nice together? Are there any weapon mods that add in any sort of non-OP additional weapons for more variety that don't break the game, unlike Modern Firearms?

Is the mod list in the OP of the thread in any way updated?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Do Horizon and the Loot Overhaul play nice together?

No, but Horizon massively overhauls loot anyway so you shouldn't need it.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Are there any weapon mods that add in any sort of non-OP additional weapons for more variety that don't break the game, unlike Modern Firearms?

If you're gonna be using Horizon any weapon that hasn't been specifically patched for it is going to be OP. Luckily there are a few of those patches, including the Official Weapon Pack and a patch for Unique Uniques. There are a couple more scattered ones, check Horizon's front page under "Requirement->Mods requiring this file" and/or search the Nexus.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Thanks.

Are things like the Raider Overhaul and Alt Start mods still en vogue, or does Horizon cover just about everything?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Horizon page recommends not to use Raider Overhaul because the new raiders will be excessively bullet-spongey for Horizon combat.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I use Another Life and Horizon with no issues, but I've only tested it with Vault Dweller (in order to skip the intro). Other starts change faction affinity in different ways, but I don't know if any of that interacts with Horizon.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://i.imgur.com/1WyYyMd.jpg

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Some recent shots of mine.

Kellogg

Distress Call

Knock-back

Stormclouds on a Sunny Day

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Are there any mods that get rid of settlements? Maybe with a shared inventory for crafting stations across the wasteland?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Thanks.

Are things like the Raider Overhaul and Alt Start mods still en vogue, or does Horizon cover just about everything?

One of the few things Horizon doesn't have is alt start functionality. I us Start Me Up with success. I have had some trouble getting back into the vault after starting outside, but I dunno if that's Horizon or something else. Just don't pick traits! That causes a CTD. Also starting at higher levels doesn't work properly; it seems to give the experience rather than set your level directly, so telling it start you at 10 will actully only get you most of the way to 5 because of the experience changes. The starting weapons can be a bit wonky, too.

Oh and I wouldn't recommend a non-Vault start for your first try. There are a bunch of starting items in Vault 111 and the Sanctuary root cellar that you really want to make the beginning less painful.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Struensee posted:

Are there any mods that get rid of settlements? Maybe with a shared inventory for crafting stations across the wasteland?

I dunno about getting rid of them in any permanent capacity but Global Workshop lets you move automatically all your junk around from workshop to workshop.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Terrorforge posted:

Just don't pick traits!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that would be a good reason why I can't make it past the character creation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to start a new game with the new horizon and sim settlements stuff but bethesda patching the drat thing and breaking everything is offputting.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

If anyone is having trouble getting their mod load out set up, feel free to email me at horsemansyospos at gmail and I’ll be happy to help you out as much as I can. I’ve been modding bethsoft games since Morrowind and have a pretty solid grasp on things.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Is there a mod that handles permanent companion death in a sane way? e.g. doesn't break the story, and they're either severely buffed for balance or level along with you?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Sim Settlement looks neat, but I want the best mod (or combination of mods) for building more/better settlement poo poo myself. Which one(s) should I use?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Place Everywhere.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/

I also use Old World Containers and Decorations for more junk
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24739/

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Sim Settlement looks neat, but I want the best mod (or combination of mods) for building more/better settlement poo poo myself. Which one(s) should I use?

These are the ones I swear by.

- Scrap Everything
- Build High: Expanded Settlements (not just for building upwards, but for increasing settlement perimeters)
- Brighter Settlement Lights
- Longer Power Lines
- Move That Workbench
- Quieter Settlements
- Dialogue Settlers Fix
- Settlement Keywords Expanded
- Stackable Concrete Foundations
- Workshop Rearranged (adds countless stairs, ramps, half walls, half floors, and all kinds of concrete blocks, as well as countless other things, while still being "lore-friendly" and not overwhelming. I can't recommend this one enough; once you realize the flexibility it enables you'll never uninstall it.)

Also keep in mind that Sim Settlements can fit nicely alongside your own creations: build a bad-rear end castle for yourself and put the small residential settlements outside of it.

If you want to start getting a little crazy, or build insane poo poo, then you can add these to taste. I don't have anything bad to say about these, but I use them sparingly.

- Auto Doors
- Craftable Institute Elevators (includes elevators that can go up six stories)
- Do It Yourshelf
- Vault Tec Workshop Overhaul
- Nuka-Cola and Vim Display Racks

A lot of people swear by Homemaker, but I found a lot of its pieces have snapping issues. It gives you a ton of new set pieces to work with, which can turn out very nicely, or ...

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 10, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How well do settlement object mods (like Homemaker) work with the new Horizon?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

How well do settlement object mods (like Homemaker) work with the new Horizon?

Homemaker specifically has a Horizon patch so its beds, crafting stations etc. use the correct perks and materials. Other, non-patched settlement mods shouldn't break anything, but their costs and requirements might be out of line.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

Homemaker specifically has a Horizon patch so its beds, crafting stations etc. use the correct perks and materials. Other, non-patched settlement mods shouldn't break anything, but their costs and requirements might be out of line.

I haven't been able to find the patch.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I want to start a new game with the new horizon and sim settlements stuff but bethesda patching the drat thing and breaking everything is offputting.
Have steam set to not auto-update the game and always boot the game via F4SE.
Alternatively: Make a copy of FO4's install folder. Uninstall the game via steam. Then in the copy of the game folder you made next to the game's executable, create a text file called "steam_appid.txt", containing the number "377160".

Either way should make it so you don't have to worry about patches breaking your mod setup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never actually used F4SE because I don't think I've ever used any mods that require it.

I'll stick an executable shortcut somewhere and move it out of favorites.

The Lone Badger posted:

I haven't been able to find the patch.

I believe it's an option when you install horizon via a mod manager.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raygereio posted:

Have steam set to not auto-update the game

You can't do that anymore, Valve removed the option.

These are the only options you can choose now. If you haven't already chosen at least the second option, it's too late. You MIGHT be able to get around that with FO4 specifically by launching with F4SE though because that technically doesn't count as launching the game via Steam (even though you still need Steam running to launch it).

edit: vvv Yeah I figured that might work

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 10, 2017

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Make it only update when you launch the game, and launch the game via script extender

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do the settlement build area expanders also break the precombination thing that kills your framerate or is that just scrap everything?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Do the settlement build area expanders also break the precombination thing that kills your framerate or is that just scrap everything?

It depends on the mod and how lazy the author is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fair enough.

I figured maybe they'd have to given that they expand the scrappable area. Do you know any in particular that wouldn't?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Fair enough.

I figured maybe they'd have to given that they expand the scrappable area. Do you know any in particular that wouldn't?

I've never tried any settlement expansion mods, so I'm not sure which, if any, work well. Ideally a settlement expansion mod should just disable the precombined objects/previs in the cells that include actual build areas, but knowing the Nexus most of them will just disable it globally.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Fair enough.

This is a really complicated topic. At the moment I'm still using Scrap Everything and Build High with expanded borders, and that seems to do the job without any performance issues, for most of the settlements. Some settlements have weirdly custom parts that aren't subject to precombination, such as Jamaica Plain's church pews and the bus right next to the workshop. Hangman's Alley is also a pain, since its entire riverside area is mostly unscrappable, even though you'd think it should be (tire piles, trucks, desks and chairs). My setup is fairly stable, but if you're interested in trying something different and reporting back, All Settlements Extended looks promising.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've got Scrap Everything & All Settlements Extended installed, haven't noticed any slowdown yet. Scrapped practically everything in & around Hangman's alley, made a nice waterfront development with Sim Settlements. ASE really makes some of the settlements alot bigger. Hangman's alley should be renamed to Back Bay Estates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I currently use both scrap everything and all settlements extended and I admit I haven't had any obvious immediate performance degradation? It also comes with a version that disables the changes to hangman's and bunker hill owing to, i assume, density.

It's possible I've only ever used mods that handle it decently and the slowdown is more severe with other ones, I just don't want it to become a thing late in the game.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Does anyone know how exactly the income from buildable settlement stores is supposed to work? I'm trying to figure out but it's extremely inconsistent. Sometimes just Waiting works, sometimes it doesn't.

(I'm playing Horizon but afaik that just replaces the caps with another item called Vendor Credits. also my findings so far are consistent with other tests I've seen of this system)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Nevets posted:

I've got Scrap Everything & All Settlements Extended installed, haven't noticed any slowdown yet. Scrapped practically everything in & around Hangman's alley, made a nice waterfront development with Sim Settlements. ASE really makes some of the settlements alot bigger. Hangman's alley should be renamed to Back Bay Estates.

Could you share a screenshot of your Hangman's Alley exterior near the bridge going north, and the north entrance to the Alley?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Not everything is done yet. I'm using the original alley for farming & industrial plots, and the waterfront for housing / rec / commercial.

Here are the original & new borders with ASE:

I haven't tried to build on the rooftops yet, but probably will expand there when I need more space for farms, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrorforge posted:

Does anyone know how exactly the income from buildable settlement stores is supposed to work? I'm trying to figure out but it's extremely inconsistent. Sometimes just Waiting works, sometimes it doesn't.

(I'm playing Horizon but afaik that just replaces the caps with another item called Vendor Credits. also my findings so far are consistent with other tests I've seen of this system)

It ends up in your workbench occasionally, but :bethsoft: so it's anyone's guess as to how it works on the backend. I will say sim settlements is much better about it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nevets posted:

Not everything is done yet. I'm using the original alley for farming & industrial plots, and the waterfront for housing / rec / commercial.

Here are the original & new borders with ASE:

I haven't tried to build on the rooftops yet, but probably will expand there when I need more space for farms, etc.

Holy poo poo, Architect will finally let me turn Hangman's Alley into an honest-to-god settlement. Even with ASE I couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo, Architect will finally let me turn Hangman's Alley into an honest-to-god settlement. Even with ASE I couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

I'm pretty happy with my old Hangman's Alley.

From the main Fallout 4 thread.

7c Nickel posted:

Settlements are fun. I started out with the Red Rocket but I found that it was a little too far from the action.

The lower level is reserved for my stuff and the upper levels for the settlers.

So I cleared out Hangman's Alley since it's more centrally located. Someone earlier said that it was basically impossible to do a nice settlement there but I'm pretty happy right now. Here's an overview.

You can see the metal prefab shack I use as my house, the main settler house, the small Razorgrain farm (for noodles) and the generator array on the upper level.

I walled off all the entrances except the alley that leads out to the riverfront. It's pretty much murder for anyone trying to approach and can reach all the way out to the water. Also you can see the main farm off to the left. That's pretty much the only sizable patch of farmable dirt in the location and it provides all I need for making adhesives.

Here's the lower levels. I kind of wish you could scrap that building on the left since it's at kind of an awkward angle, but since you can't I just made it the salvage workshop.

Here's part of the lower level of the settler house. I love the mounted Mirelurk Claw. The upper level is pretty much bunks.

Shame the AI sometimes has trouble pathing around the multiple levels.

The key is building vertically.

And here's a shot of the bar using goon Amstrad's Convenient Stores mod.

And the Doctor.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 11, 2017