Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of my students transitioned between semesters and fortunately she came up to me before class and was like "hey, just so you know, i'm going by $name now" and i was glad that she did that before i took roll instead of me accidentally calling her what i was used to.

thinking of how to handle that in the future. i found a very angry article from the lgbt center complaining that taking roll was inherently trans-exclusionary and should not be done at all*, but i don't think it has to be. maybe i'll pass around a sheet at the beginning with the names that i have on the roster, and people can put down their preferred name and pronoun beside each one? but then i think about that and like, if the sheet goes around and someone's listed as "mark" but they put down "maria" then that's outing them so noooope. also probably they don't even want to be exposed to their dead name. i could use student ID numbers, but technically showing those to other students is a FERPA violation, though enough professors ignore FERPA that i could probably get away with it no problem, but i would still like to stay within the law which exists for very good reasons.

on the other hand, if someone still has their old name on the school register for any reason, but they're going by something else, i need to be able to reconcile those two points in order to know who is actually in my class and assign grades etc. this is complicated by there being like four different names that the student might have depending on what system you're accessing -- some can be arbitrarily set while others are tied to their legal name and sometimes one will be incomplete or have extra middle names and sometimes the chinese students use their legal name and sometimes the english name they go by and on and on...

to the trans posters: how would you prefer this be/have been handled in your education?

*i have sat in committees with professors whose attitude is "why do the students even get to set their names on these things? it should be their legal name and nothing else, that's what matters!" and the like, stuff that i'm sure everyone here is real sick of hearing so in those cases yeah the professor should probably just not take roll at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
implant rfid chips in kids to record their classroom entries and exits

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thats literally the first time ive heard of taking roll post highschool

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
could you just say "starting next time i'm going to be doing roll calling, if your name/pronoun is different from your legal one please send me an email at sagebrush@whatever.edu"? that way they could contact you without being outed.

alternatively you could ask everyone to write down their student id and name/pronouns and hand in those sheets

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

thats literally the first time ive heard of taking roll post highschool

Most of my classes are under 20 students and studio format, so it matters a lot if you don't show up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

Most of my classes are under 20 students and studio format, so it matters a lot if you don't show up

huh

i guess some kind of dumb computer signin then

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

you could use something like TopHat I guess? it’s like ~<$30 for a student for 1 class and handles attendance sign ins through an app, clicker style multiple choice questions in class, homework submissions, grading etc. it’s...not great, but better than previous alternatives and is much cheaper than a standard text or something assuming the class doesn’t need one. not sure if appropriate for that sort of class

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For the record I will excuse students from class for any reason as long as they tell me beforehand (need a doctor's note if they're missing a deadline) and so far that hasn't been abused. Just want to encourage people to show up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

with class size that small i kinda think after a week the perfessor should be able to figure out who's missing just by looking at the room instead of calling role

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Probably wouldn't be able to that hard to make nfc tags associated with each ID and give it to the students to put on their cards or whatever, then use that with some sort of app

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo barcode tattoos, theyre cyberpunk as hell

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

atomicthumbs posted:

Probably wouldn't be able to that hard to make nfc tags associated with each ID and give it to the students to put on their cards or whatever, then use that with some sort of app

where I went to school they had just switched over to rfid badges and decided to try something similar for a few classes (badge in at the door for attendance tracking) and turns out that lazy students will give their is card to a friend to check them into a class.

would it be possible to do an email before the first class with a "if you go by or prefer a name other than what is listed in your student records please email me before the first day of class"? or perhaps not take roll on the first day and make a similar statement on the first day?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Shifty Pony posted:

where I went to school they had just switched over to rfid badges and decided to try something similar for a few classes (badge in at the door for attendance tracking) and turns out that lazy students will give their is card to a friend to check them into a class.

how did they not forsee this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Everyone is over complicating this. Don't take roll on the first day. Instead announce that you will take roll from then on and that if someone's preferred name (use that language) differs from their registration to let you know before the next class.

This way you are asking if the Christophers in the room want to go by Chris too and you're not singling out just trans students. Send out an email after class with the same statement for the dipshits who skip the first day of class.

Don't make it about trans students. Just make it generally about getting the name people go by.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we have quite a few trans folk on our goon discord server and I always feel bad when I say “LETS GO BOYYYSSSS” or call someone dude even though I know they’re trans :(

always make sure to correct myself and apologize and thankfully dude has become relatively agender but it’s definitely something I need to more actively think about so I don’t make someone sad while playing video games

edit:

oh also speaking of video games a big YouTube Overwatch person has come out as transgender and is closing their channel because they actually have to make money and avoid abuse

https://youtu.be/reiZfgWgHjY

:(

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 10, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we have quite a few trans folk on our goon discord server and I always feel bad when I say “LETS GO BOYYYSSSS” or call someone dude even though I know they’re trans :(

always make sure to correct myself and apologize and thankfully dude has become relatively agender but it’s definitely something I need to more actively think about so I don’t make someone sad while playing video games

"y'all" is always correct

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
are people actually offended by "dude" or "guys"? idgaf about that poo poo and I assumed outrage about it was just a conservative strawman.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

are people actually offended by "dude" or "guys"? idgaf about that poo poo and I assumed outrage about it was just a conservative strawman.

i've heard from plenty of cis women that those bug them, and if someone said "what's up ladies" to a group i'm been part of i'd probably feel it was intentionally insulting so it's just easier to always say "y'all" or "people"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i've heard from plenty of cis women that those bug them, and if someone said "what's up ladies" to a group i'm been part of i'd probably feel it was intentionally insulting so it's just easier to always say "y'all" or "people"

Well ya men are constitutionally incapable of saying "ladies" in a non creepy way.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cis autodrag posted:

Well ya men are constitutionally incapable of saying "ladies" in a non creepy way.

#notallmen

https://twitter.com/ussoccer_wnt/status/617777453210054656

http://the-toast.net/2015/07/06/annotating-the-rocks-inspirational-workout-video-message-to-the-u-s-womens-soccer-team/

quote:

0:02 – “Hey, what’s up, ladies?” Do you have any idea how difficult it is for a man in a muscle tank to say “Hey, what’s up, ladies” in a manner that is neither suggestive nor condescending? It is very nearly impossible; The Rock achieves it in the first two seconds. This is a man who genuinely wants to know what is up with these ladies. No one ever told The Rock what sexism is, so he has never once committed an act of it. Please do not tell him about it now. He would be absolutely crushed if he knew.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
(keeping in mind that dwayne "the rock" johnson said a lot of really problematic stuff during his wrestling career)

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

he has a daughter now so he's learned that women are people too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

anyone who says "cuss" is a narc

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triglav posted:

"as a father of a daughter" is like my least favorite response to sex harassment scandals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Triglav posted:

also vince mcmahon is a huge misogynist and that definitely bled into the scripts and general culture of tge wwe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cis autodrag posted:

"as a father of a daughter" is like my least favorite response to sex harassment scandals.

anyone who says yhis is a loving rapist. if you need a daughter to realize that raping women is bad ... *extremely foxworthy voice* you might br a rapist

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I call everyone dude and if you don’t like it you can go gently caress yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

saying “you guys” vs “y’all” is just a highly regional thing and ppl who are somehow offended by the former are probably not from that area and/or tightwads

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
aw, the dude i was trying to date this weekend hasn't messaged me back. hope he's just busy and not ghosting me, he was very funny and i liked chatting with him.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

what do you mean by studio format btw? im still perplexed by a college class taking attendance but most of my classes were stem so

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Progressive JPEG posted:

what do you mean by studio format btw? im still perplexed by a college class taking attendance but most of my classes were stem so

in my last year (2013-2014) my cs profs mentioned having to start taking attendance for financial aid reasons but that may have been a state rule (az)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cis autodrag posted:

With girl friends in casual conversation i'll often phrase a sentence like "man what game were you watching that was clearly slashing, the ref is blind" and no one's ever said anything but I've always been vaguely worried I'm doing a Wrong or if that's just nature of the language or what

I think if I ever had a casual conversation with someone I knew to be transgender I would trip on my tongue a ridiculous amount of times and outright die of shame :ohdear:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

aw, the dude i was trying to date this weekend hasn't messaged me back. hope he's just busy and not ghosting me, he was very funny and i liked chatting with him.

i wish u the best inconceivable nephropidae

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

I call everyone dude and if you don’t like it you can go gently caress yourself.

This is not a tone that is appropriate for you to take in this thread.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
yeah i'm another cis dude and when a 9 year old girl politely asked me not to call her dude I complied, if you're such a goon you want to die on that hill you should reconsider

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

spoken like a real management

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I typically refer to people as "they" even when I know their gender and my gaymarried husband hates it lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

maybe cuz west coast + hippie school, but "they" was taught to me and what i heard as a kid

but also "dude" is gender neutral

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

I typically refer to people as "they" even when I know their gender and my gaymarried husband hates it lol

I also tend to do this. Better to be safe than stomp on people's feelings. I just genuinely had no idea guys and dude weren't totally agendered at this point. The only people I've ever irl heard complaints from are a meme from my friend in Facebook who is the definition of white girl woke and my wife's uncle who's a lovely republican who was mocking me for my beard shadow back before the laser started to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Triglav posted:

maybe cuz west coast + hippie school, but "they" was taught to me and what i heard as a kid

but also "dude" is gender neutral

its really not though