Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lord Packinham posted:

I think someone hit it on the nose when they said it was the triple dipping of full price game, season pass, and bright engrams, that pushed everyone over the edge along with a ton of new stuff behind the bright engrams so it's not a surprise to see people angry.

I still like the game but it's not hard to see why people are tearing them a new one.

Especially since solutions to many of these problems were in the first game.

Which is entirely dumb too because people who spend money on lootboxes in games like Overwatch blow way more than 20 bucks every 3 months and 20 bucks on Eververse is gonna give you way less value than if it was spent on CoO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Anyone mad about bright engrams is pretty dumb considering that the game shits 9 of them at you per week with little effort if you have three characters. The XP thing only affected the most broken brained people who feel compelled to play D2 like a 60 hour per week job.

Sure, but loot boxes are still for sale. IMO there's no acceptable reason to sell cosemtics unless you're a f2p game or you're using it to fund gameplay updates like Overwatch does.

Also, I can't imagine everyone has 3 maxed characters / has the time to grind out all 9 each week either. There's still going to be that emote or ghost or whatever it refuses to drop because it's completely random and not everything is buyable for dust.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oxyclean posted:

Sure, but loot boxes are still for sale. IMO there's no acceptable reason to sell cosemtics unless you're a f2p game or you're using it to fund gameplay updates like Overwatch does.

Also, I can't imagine everyone has 3 maxed characters / has the time to grind out all 9 each week either. There's still going to be that emote or ghost or whatever it refuses to drop because it's completely random and not everything is buyable for dust.

I mean sure, but I just... get over it? Like, cosmetics can have a negative effect on poo poo, but that's only if the core gameplay loop isn't doing it for me (like Overwatch). Destiny 2 is enjoyable enough that, yeah, while I'm sad I didn't get the salt emote, I'll get over it because playing the game in and of itself is fun enough.

Maybe I'm just weird, I dunno. :shrug:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I honestly don't mind cosmetic MTX, but cosmetic appearances are a huge part of Destiny and there's a bigger emphasis on eververse than is reasonable in the eyes of a lot of players. There need to be more sparrows, ghosts and emotes dropping from ingame activities that you can specifically target. At the moment you can get those items from simply playing the game (which is good!) but no way of targetting specific ones.

MTX are here to stay though - 30 years ago games on the Amiga or Commodore were often made by two or three guys in a shed and sold by a distributor for £30. Today games are sold for £50~ which is basically the same amount adjusting for inflation, and now that has to take care of a company like Bungie that employs 800+ people! Even with millions of games sold, something has to give way unfortunately. Selling cosmetics is an elegant solution that's handled a bit wrongly in Destiny's case.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah, see, I solve that problem by playing the Competitive playlist because Supremacy and Control suck poo poo.

That works wonders until you get survival with the teammate who thinks he's playing Clash and just lemmings into the other team's deathball over and over and over.

Or the Countdown teammate who insists on always trying to flank around the other team at a dead sprint and is always gunned down less than 20 seconds into the match.

Plus I dislike limited-respawn type maps, Supremacy/Control may not be perfect but it's more enjoyable than dying and getting sidelined.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Looks like it's 2/4/6/8/10 turn-ins engram opens from that vendor for the class item/boots/gloves/chest/helm and gun respectively. And yeah, it's all retroactive, I can buy all the stuff off of Shaxx right now. 25 shards and 10 relevant tokens per piece.

Also if you don't have one, Savala is selling Origin Story right now.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 12, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kyrosiris posted:

Looks like it's 2/4/6/8/10 turn-ins for the class item/boots/gloves/chest/helm and gun respectively.

I don't follow - rephrase?

Is a "turn-in" a token? Is a turn-in the "Enough Tokens to Get an Engram"?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

khy posted:

If you compare only PvP, Overwatch is light years ahead of Destiny. It is on an entirely different level, one so much better and higher than Destiny 2 will forever be in Overwatch's shadow.

BUT.

PvE is a huge thing. The raids are fun as hell. Heroic Strikes and the Nightfalls are seriously great. I have a blast when playing the PvE, I enjoy the stories, I enjoy the random lore tidbits we're fed, the customization for weapons/armor is much more satisfying than Overwatch's skins, etc. So when you look at the game as a whole, yeah, I feel like it's on par with or better than Overwatch.

But god drat, the crucible is just so incredibly mediocre.

It’s alright, but like a lot of things these days, needs PVP variety. Like Capture the Flag.

It may just be that I’m not a fan of MOBAs though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Waffle House posted:

It’s alright, but like a lot of things these days, needs PVP variety. Like Capture the Flag.

They eventually caved on this demand for a limited time to show people how bad it sucked.

My buddies' main complaints when Overwatch launched were,

1. No Campaign
2. No CTF

both would be aids, but bad

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anything but OW CTF, please

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

"fund gameplay updates" is a strange differentiator, Eververse is funding Destiny 2 updates in the same way that Overwatch's lootboxes do (brokebrains spend money, money goes to executives, executives demand that the process repeats)

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It sounds kinda like Overwatch caps out for entertainment value at LucioBall and unboxing crates

JorgeHWB
Jan 15, 2016

Aww, ugly duckling...
bawk-bawk

Waffle House posted:

i miss mayhem :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't follow - rephrase?

Is a "turn-in" a token? Is a turn-in the "Enough Tokens to Get an Engram"?

Enough for an engram, sorry. 10 engrams from that vendor means you can buy all their stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think it's retroactive as well, so if you've turned in ten engrams before the update, you'll have all the items available to buy.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
So I'm seeing Mercury as the Flashpoint this week. Wonder if it's different for vanilla folks. If not... *meme of Bungie riding a bike, then jamming a stick into a wheel*

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

JorgeHWB posted:

i miss mayhem :colbert:

God same. And Rift; it was nice having a fuller Crucible menu.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think it's retroactive as well, so if you've turned in ten engrams before the update, you'll have all the items available to buy.

gently caress yeah!

It's probably character-based though, right? My Titan has handed in 30x FWC and Iron Banner engrams, but my Hunter probably can't direct purchase any FWC or IB poo poo?

I bet we don't have any way of knowing yet, but just wondering.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh no one week every six where people can’t get cayde’s glorified welfare engram whatever will the two-hour-a-week players who only get cayde engrams do???

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean sure, but I just... get over it? Like, cosmetics can have a negative effect on poo poo, but that's only if the core gameplay loop isn't doing it for me (like Overwatch). Destiny 2 is enjoyable enough that, yeah, while I'm sad I didn't get the salt emote, I'll get over it because playing the game in and of itself is fun enough.

I mean, I find Destiny 2 fun and I'm not particularly ruffled by MTX cosmetics. It's just a matter of comparing it to other stuff in the industry. Usually MTX funds free updates - it's how F2P games work, it's how some games get away from season pass / paid DLC so they don't split player bases. The few games I've seen do MTX and paid updates usually only do really big paid updates.

It just seems kind of dumb, poorly thought out, and consumer-unfriendly? Like MTX usually works by having a low barrier to entry so you can capture as many players as possible. If you're gating a majority of your game through paid DLC people are going to fall off and be less likely to spend on the MTX.

With Overwatch, free updates bring me back to the game and I usually end up spending money because I want some of the new poo poo or whatever. Destiny 2 I thought about buying the eververse starter and went "oh wait I just spend 40$ on the season pass, gently caress that."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

oh no one week every six where people can’t get cayde’s glorified welfare engram whatever will the two-hour-a-week players who only get cayde engrams do???

considering how the prestige raids went, complain on reddit until bungie changes it

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i really, truly hate to break it to you, but bungie does not give an iota of a poo poo about a consumer like you or your interactions with mtx. they will take them if they can but they care about hosed up idiots who p2w all the lootboxes the first day of an event so they can have all of the cool armor 3x over and then do it all again in three months when the next lootboxes come out.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

lol

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

considering how the prestige raids went, complain on reddit until bungie changes it
Bungie changed it because it locked people out of cheevos so the consoles were issuing refunds, they're not gonna cave if it doesn't cause refunds

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

He didnt shave his head and glue the hair to his face either

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i really, truly hate to break it to you, but bungie does not give an iota of a poo poo about a consumer like you or your interactions with mtx. they will take them if they can but they care about hosed up idiots who p2w all the lootboxes the first day of an event so they can have all of the cool armor 3x over and then do it all again in three months when the next lootboxes come out.

are you talking to me?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

gamers are the worst

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

are you talking to me?

no, i am talking to the mtx poster above you, but i suppose bungie does also does not really care about how YOU interact with mtx either

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Control Volume posted:

He didnt shave his head and glue the hair to his face either

What a goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

no, i am talking to the mtx poster above you, but i suppose bungie does also does not really care about how YOU interact with mtx either

ah that makes a hell of a lot more sense

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress yeah!

It's probably character-based though, right? My Titan has handed in 30x FWC and Iron Banner engrams, but my Hunter probably can't direct purchase any FWC or IB poo poo?

Yeah, I just checked on my Hunter and she can't buy anything from Shaxx, so it looks to be per-character. Unfortunate.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress yeah!

It is character based, yeah. I could have sworn I turned in more with my Warlock but I only had the second bit unlocked. Also, they cost an increasing amount of legendary shards. 10 tokens (after spending enough tokens to unlock it) plus 25 shards to buy a planetary chest piece, for example.

I'm down to like, 20 shards. But I finally have the complete Titan set for my Warlock :buddy:

Shame the weapon sale is garbo. Oh wow, I can eventually unlock the privilege to buy my millionth A Single Clap? So not only is it one direct buy gun on a weekly rotation, but it's not even something to guarantee your missing items :doh:

I only had time to turn the game on for about 10 minutes, and off I go again. So hopefully I simply overlooked some "Now the gunsmith will sell you guns you don't own yet for the low low price of 60 gunsmith parts and 30 legendary shards!" option or somesuch. Which will mostly make me curse the low inventory space yet again even before considering masterwork stuff.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 12, 2017

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I just took out a reverse mortgage to buy more loot boxes. This will make me the best guardian in this p2w game

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Bunge-boozled

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Oxyclean posted:

And then they made it even worse with "seasons" where they rotate everything out, further encouraging you to dump money into Eververse to try and get the ones you want.

Kyrosiris posted:

Like the negative impact on XP they've already had? There's literally no other reason to gently caress over XP like they did except to limit the bright engram earn rate to limit how fast you get cosmetics without spending money.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lol at all you dumb babies caring about horse armor, it's just a cosmetic bonus you don't have to buy if you don't want to, why do you even care how other people spend their money

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The darkness in concrete form, they've been hinted at quite a lot. If you were ever around for Destiny 1, this was on their installation/update screen;

Both the vex and the hive worship them, and I think the cabal does as well if I'm understanding Calus right. The fallen are the odd one out, they actually used to worship the traveler and were guardians back in their day until the traveler abandoned them to flee the darkness (hence 'the fallen')

It may not be the Darkness itself, but merely another group of servants even closer to the Darkness. Though that feels like an asspull given that the Hive, and then the Taken, are already more or less that. Chalk it up to the Darkness being vague. So it's probably the Darkness (until it isn't).

And the Fallen never had Guardians. There were no Ghosts or Guardians of any sort until the Traveler stayed instead of running when the Collapse happened.

Wheeee posted:

Lol at all you dumb babies caring about horse armor, it's just a cosmetic bonus you don't have to buy if you don't want to, why do you even care how other people spend their money

Because we've seen developers completely shitfuck themselves chasing the microtransaction rainbow for the pot of gold at the end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Wheeee posted:

Imagine if you bought the Elder Scrolls Oblivion Expansion for $20, and you fired it up to see what new excitement awaits, and the only new content was "Pay another $5 for Horse Armor"

It's an exaggeration but that's how the internet works

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Magus42 posted:

And then they made it even worse with "seasons" where they rotate everything out, further encouraging you to dump money into Eververse to try and get the ones you want.

Like the negative impact on XP they've already had? There's literally no other reason to gently caress over XP like they did except to limit the bright engram earn rate to limit how fast you get cosmetics without spending money.

XP has literally no use beyond cosmetics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Imagine if you bought the Elder Scrolls Oblivion Expansion for $20, and you fired it up to see what new excitement awaits, and the only new content was "Pay another $5 for Horse Armor"

It's an exaggeration but that's how the internet works

it’s actually literally like if you bought the shivering isles, then noticed they also sold horse armor and deciding you were entitled to that because you bought the expansion

• Locked thread