Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They're also one of the corps who will meet runners messing with their poo poo with lots and lots of bullets and hurting and terrible things. Like, you might run against Ares, they might notice, and you might get away with it because they decide you haven't done enough harm to make tracking you down cost effective. Aztechs want you dead and won't be shy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, like always it depends. You probably won't see a cybered up kill team going after the guys that knocked over a Stuffer Shack. :v:

They also have a charming reputation for murdering teams that fail, or just did something during the run they didn't like, or for being mildly inconvenient. It's one thing to know the people you're dealing with are evil murderers, it's another to know that they likely participated/ orchestrated in literally cutting out someone's actual still beating heart.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GunnerJ posted:

The only thing the authors knew about the historical Aztecs is that they practiced blood sacrifice, so now all of Mexico is the domain of a corporation that's also a neo-Aztec cult that kills people for magic power.

Don't forget that the Azzies basically started out as a front company for three major drug cartels going "legit" just as Mexico collapsed due to VITAS (basically the magical Black Plague) killing off like half the population. They effectively took over the country, started providing all essential services and rebuilding it, renamed it Aztlan, and then used the reorganized forces of that country to promptly take back a lot of what used to be the southern US (like, they're in Austin right now staring daggers at the Texas Rangers and the CAS Army after Texas tried going independent after the US was breaking up and it didn't work out too well for them; San Diego is one of their major military bases as is Roswell; and they only missed out on claiming LA because Horizon became a megacorp after a big earthquake and invited Pueblo in first) and the entirety of Central America plus Columbia, and recently fought Amazonia (magical Brazil ruled by three feathered serpents, the Amerindian version of Great Dragons) at the end of last edition over the remains of Venezuela, nominally coming out on top. Said cartel owners (or their family members) still have seats on the board, or control major subsidiaries. Oh, and as part of the whole "reviving Aztec culture" thing Aztlan has going on, the Roman Catholic Church is effectively banned in the country as a rebel group.

The Azzies are super bad news in the Shadows, but they've got great PR, so most Joe Wageslaves think they're pretty alright because they supply most of the food they eat.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 14, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

As a TTRPG guy, it is a real shame Shadowrun's system is kind of infamous for sucking, because the setting sounds like fun.

I've been working on a bastard fusion of Shadowrun and Genesys rules with intent to run a game for some interested friends. Genesys is the generic rebranded version of what Fantasy Flight came up with for their Star Wars RPG; after several months of playing that I really like it, and it already has a lot in common with 4th edition SR.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GhostStalker posted:

VITAS (basically the magical Black Plague)

That's actually kind of an understatement. Virally-Induced Toxic Allergy Syndrome. Basically you become immediately and fatally allergic to everything. Airborne, incredibly virulent, possessing multiple strains and insanely fast acting (average time from infection to fatal anaphylactic shock was under twelve hours) VITAS killed off a full quarter of the Earth's population in less than two years. And that's the low estimate.

Also lead to a lot of hate for non-humans since humans, and elves, have by far the least robust health of the races. Meaning that it was far more likely to kill them than orks, troll or dwarves. Admittedly, it still killed just about anyone that got infected, but about 1 in 36 survivors for trolls and dwarves and 1 in 72 for orks is still much better odds than the 1 in 216 chance humans and elves got.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

VITAS killed, like, a third of the world.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
If you like the setting for Shadowrun but don't like the system, I recommend using D20 Modern*. It's not a perfect system, but it's an EASY system and it already comes packaged with rules for sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

It's also piss easy to transfer ideas over, like make a half-ogre and call it a troll for instance.

The only thing you'd have to heavily home-brew is the cyberware/essence system, and honestly that's not that hard.

I've actually done this before and it works great.

*If you don't like the class system for D20 modern (and many don't) you can always just use D&D classes in it's place so you can start out as a mage instead of having to prestige into it.

As for the infamous class balance, fighter/rogue types get leagues better when they have Fully automatic guns and flashbangs. Whowouldathunk? :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 14, 2017

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Phew. Got through DMS and am caught up on this thread.

I only ever played Returns, and didn't even know there were two more games in the modern series now. Heck yeah! Just installed Dragonfall. Really looking forward to this.

Side question: I've seen folks say a few times that you shouldn't make a deal with a dragon. Why?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Heir03 posted:

Side question: I've seen folks say a few times that you shouldn't make a deal with a dragon. Why?

They tend to gently caress you over, badly.

Not universally true, but the head of Saeder-Krupp (A dragon called Lofwyr) has done it so much that it's just a typical Runner/dragon stereotype now.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 14, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

mauman posted:

If you like the setting for Shadowrun but don't like the system, I recommend using D20 Modern*. It's not a perfect system, but it's an EASY system and it already comes packaged with rules for sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Dungeon World is a legit good system to do a Shadowrun game in, as evidenced by how much fun I'm having playing the Regional Head of Residual Humanoid Resources in Atlatl's game. We're robbing a satellite that someone else is crashing right now.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Heir03 posted:

To add on to Mauman's stance: A chessmaster plays many moves in advance. Dragons tend to play *whole games* in advance. The state of a pawn (you) in this game is of no consequence.

Also, long memories. If you do a run against Ares after doing some work for Ares, that's just an occupational hazard; you're an independent contractor, it's in your description. You probably interacted with two completely separate departments of Ares and by the time it gets to Damien Knight, it's a statistic in their accounting report. If you do a run that inconveniences a dragon, they tend to remember and take it a little bit more personally.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Heir03 posted:

Because no matter how well that job pays, it's gonna cost you more in the end.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Stroth posted:

Because no matter how well that job pays, it's gonna cost you more in the end.

I keep seeing this statement, but can anyone provide examples? I love the lore of this setting, but beyond the game I know nothing of SR.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Dragon's harbor grudges/remember favors from people *millenia* ago. Dunkelzahn's will includes things like paying back favors from people's ancestors over the middle ages to them for favors done to them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

As a TTRPG guy, it is a real shame Shadowrun's system is kind of infamous for sucking, because the setting sounds like fun.

Eh, it's not that bad. Palladium's and D&D4e are both much, much worse, for instance.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wedgekree posted:

Dragon's harbor grudges/remember favors from people *millenia* ago. Dunkelzahn's will includes things like paying back favors from people's ancestors over the middle ages to them for favors done to them.

"Your ancestor bought me dinner once and I promised to pay him back someday, so with compound interest it turns out you're a billionaire."

Also, it came up last thread but it bears repeating: Dunkelzahn's Will is amazing and needs to be read.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 14, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Eh, it's not that bad. Palladium's and D&D4e are both much, much worse, for instance.

Actually, D&D 4E would work amazingly well for the sort of campaign that features in DMS, Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Stroth posted:

"Your ancestor bought me dinner once and I promised to pay him back someday, so with compound interest it turns out you're a billionaire."

Also, it came up last thread but it bears repeating: Dunkelzahn's Will is amazing and needs to be read.

Ok that's pretty cool. I'm guessing the reverse is true too. "Hey your ancestor bumped into me at the market and didn't apologize. Time to wipe out your entire family line!"

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Heir03 posted:

I keep seeing this statement, but can anyone provide examples? I love the lore of this setting, but beyond the game I know nothing of SR.

IIRC there's been a short story/blurb in one of the sourcebooks where a team hosed with Lofwyr without even realising it. later on, they got hired for a job by Saeder-Krupp to break into a facility and steal some data. Run turned out way more dangerous than expected (as it happened, the guard detail field-tested some new genetically-modified guard animals) and got most of the team killed. The last survivor decided to gently caress over S-K in retaliation for the bad intel and sold the data to some competitors that had also been after the data according to the S-K Johnson/Brackman. Turns out the facility they raided was owned by a hidden subsidiary of S-K (and all the damage they did was under a generous insurance policy) and the data was set up to be deliberately flawed to gently caress over anyone trying to make use of it. And that last runner got whacked by a killteam a few days later while both the money he got from the competitors and the advance payment from S-K went missing.

The overall best summary is that getting involved in the affairs of a dragon means you're in WAY over your head, and you'll be lucky to get out alive and in one piece. And if you piss off one, you'll spend the rest of your life wondering when the carbomb/cybered-up killteam/angry high-force spirit etc might pop up to turn you into salsa. And given how much of the affairs of dragons are about dealing with each other, chances are you're gonna piss off one of them if you get involved.

Edit: Dunkelzahn's Will has a good example:

quote:

For a period of ten days beginning on 14 February 2057, Lars J. Matthews will cease to possess any legal status. He will be stripped of all evidence of legal existence, including SIN, credsticks, DocWagon contract, bank accounts and so on. To the individual or group who ends Lars J. Matthews’ physical existence during those ten days, I leave all of Matthews’ assets and 1 million nuyen for a job well done. If Mr. Matthews survives and can prove his identity, his legal status and all possessions will be restored to him. Haven’t you heard? Never deal with a dragon, Lars.

Magni fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 14, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Imma gonna go on a limb here and say that maybe we should keep Dragon Talk to a minimum in a game called Dragonfall :ohdear:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

mauman posted:

Imma gonna go on a limb here and say that maybe we should keep Dragon Talk to a minimum in a game called Dragonfall :ohdear:

But what about Wyrm Talk?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

But what about Wyrm Talk?

Well, they do say it rots the brain....

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mauman posted:

We just didn't know it would be so sudden and violent. :ohdear:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mauman posted:

It's educational ;)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Never Deal With A Dragon is also one of the Shadowrun novels, and IIRC one of the better ones for being stand alone and having street level people caught up in something big. Though obviously that makes it have nothing to do with things than happen in the RPG. :D Or was it Never Trust An Elf? Don't have it anymore either way.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Night10194 posted:

In addition to the other suggestions I would think that you can play the Shadowrun setting in Fate as well. But I don't know all the rules etc of the setting that one might want and not want to emulate.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CVE posted:

In addition to the other suggestions I would think that you can play the Shadowrun setting in Fate as well. But I don't know all the rules etc of the setting that one might want and not want to emulate.

I've ran it in GURPS pretty easily, adding some of the stuff from GURPS Cthulupunk.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Randaconda posted:

I've ran it in GURPS pretty easily, adding some of the stuff from GURPS Cthulupunk.

That is like banging in nails with a rock because you think a hammer is hard to use.

Shadowrun's rules aren't that hard guys. It's mostly just adding and subtracting d6s from a pool and counting how many fives and sixes roll. The real issue with Shadowrun rules is that the rulebook was edited together by someone with a violent aversion to putting all the relevant bits of information next to each other.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

paragon1 posted:

That is like banging in nails with a rock because you think a hammer is hard to use.

Shadowrun's rules aren't that hard guys. It's mostly just adding and subtracting d6s from a pool and counting how many fives and sixes roll. The real issue with Shadowrun rules is that the rulebook was edited together by someone with a violent aversion to putting all the relevant bits of information next to each other.
As someone who plays 40k, both of these concepts are very familiar to me.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

paragon1 posted:

True. Especially the part that the rulebooks have an awful layout. I guess print design is hard in the world of cyberpunk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Also the rules for hacking were written by someone who hates hackers and doesn't want anyone to play them so they must suffer. Which is actually an improvement over what previous editions thought of them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since we're talking about running Shadowrun the tabletop game in other systems, there is Shadowrun Anarchy, which uses a much more narrative system loosely related to Fate. I haven't played it myself, though.

There's also the Runners in the Dark hack for the excellent Blades in the Dark. I've played vanilla BitD and it's a great system for SR because it's based entirely around playing a group of criminals engaging in heists, smuggling, assassinations, and other unsavory activities.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paragon1 posted:

GURPS is my favorite :saddowns:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Randaconda posted:

GURPS is my favorite :saddowns:

Disadvantages
Favored System (GURPS) [-15p]

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Regarding Dragons, isn't there that saying (I dunno if it's in game or out of) regarding not loving over Lowfyr because "you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"? I think that's one that Shadowrun players probably came up with, because it's true.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GhostStalker posted:

Regarding Dragons, isn't there that saying (I dunno if it's in game or out of) regarding not loving over Lowfyr because "you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"? I think that's one that Shadowrun players probably came up with, because it's true.

He's a particularly ruthless dragon (which really says something), but his employee contracts also include a waiver that if you fail, he gets to eat you.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

OAquinas posted:

He's a particularly ruthless dragon (which really says something), but his employee contracts also include a waiver that if you fail, he gets to eat you.

But seeing as Lowfyr is German, I doubt ketchup would be his sauce of choice.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Fighting Trousers posted:

But seeing as Lowfyr is German, I doubt ketchup would be his sauce of choice.

They really like their fancy mustards and mayos right?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Ketchup topped with Curry is, though.

Comrade Koba posted:

Disadvantages
Favored System (GURPS) [-15p]
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda