Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

A coffee machine for a large (300+) corporate office is not that egregious usually. Lots of large companies do it (although they would get something in $1000-2000 range at most). The reason goons made fun of it so much was because it was for the LA office which has less than 20 people in it. That's just an insulting waste of backer money. Lots of indie kickstarter games want that kind of cash as their full funding target. Instead Croberts spent that money so his wife in LA can have the most expensive coffee in the world.

Well like I was saying, of course they will, because the whole point is to embezzle as much of that 160 million dollars as they can without actually looking like they're embezzling it. Which means paying themselves extremely fat paychecks and bonuses, taking 1st class flights on unnecessary trips around the world, expensive meals for as many "business meetings" as possible, expensive company parties, and yes, buying the most luxurious office equipment available.

I would be shocked if there's a single one of those things Chris Roberts and other higher-ups in the scheme haven't been doing to waste money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
just lol if you arent typing your posts on the top of a wing from a war salvaged P-51D

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Sucrose posted:

Well like I was saying, of course they will, because the whole point is to embezzle as much of that 160 million dollars as they can without actually looking like they're embezzling it. Which means paying themselves extremely fat paychecks and bonuses, taking 1st class flights on unnecessary trips around the world, expensive meals for as many "business meetings" as possible, expensive company parties, and yes, buying the most luxurious office equipment available.

I would be shocked if there's a single one of those things Chris Roberts and other higher-ups in the scheme haven't been doing to waste money.

The big hydraulic space door is still great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The big hydraulic space door is still great.

uh lol i think if you check their forums you'll find that beautiful professionally made door complete with an automatic door company logo was actually slapped together by some interns with plywood and bubblegum

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Citizens will poo poo a brick when they find out lesnick and most of the staff in LA were all making over 150k a piece per year to produce a documentary on the life and times of Chris Roberts - visionary game designer

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

food court bailiff posted:

uh lol i think if you check their forums you'll find that beautiful professionally made door complete with an automatic door company logo was actually slapped together by some interns with plywood and bubblegum

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > STARCITIZEN: actually slapped together by some interns with plywood and bubblegum

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

How many different company names do you need to develop one lovely MMO and a Cryengine movie?

1 but you need 16 more to hide all of the money you embezzle while making them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Boberts is somehow a less hip version of Notch

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

roberts looks like a medieval peasant who should be wearing a potato sack

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

roberts looks like a medieval peasant who should be wearing a potato sack
What kind of project would star citizen be if it were made in the medieval period?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

veiled boner fuel posted:

I'm fascinated by Clifford aka Miku. It looks like the guy lives in a 70s double wide in the sticks and spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on SC ships and collectors edition video games and anime weirdness. I get that everyone has different priorities and interests but his situation is just so over the top to me that it makes me want to get a psychology degree and do a masters thesis on him.

I think some of them live in Alaska where there isn't a drat thing to do for 9 months a year and the state sends you money just for living there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Moxxis Endowment posted:

What kind of project would star citizen be if it were made in the medieval period?

ATTEND YE ALL TO THE PRESENTATION OF THE ROBERTS PLOUGH!

Forsooth, it shall till ye field entire at once, and, as it does so will plant thy crops behind it. It will also ward off crows by way of a likeness of a man or woman atop it.

"WILL WE BE ABLE TO gently caress THE MAN?"

Yes good sir, certainly! It shall also contain ample living quarters, ample goose-down blanketry, and a stove with a complementary cast iron pot.

"WHAT KIND OF HORSE WILL BE ABLE TO PULL SUCH A GARGANTUAN CONTRIVANCE?"

We have partnered with a german stable to breed a special variety of titanic horse, capable of pulling any load, no matter how large or unwieldy.

"DO YE EVEN HAVE THE MATERIALS TO BUILD THIS MONSTROSITY?"

We have also partnered with a local lumberyard, despite the conflict of interest this poses with the stables. A madman I am good friends with has told me this will be fine.

"TAKETH MY MONEY AND MY HOUSE SIR ROBERTS, FOR I SHALL HAVE NEED OF NAUGHT BUT THE ROBERTS PLOUGH FOR THE REMAINDER OF MY LIFE!"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Fartbox posted:

Game development isn't magic. It's not a wizards school full of mages doing arcane rituals to create cool new game systems never before seen

You can take a look at where gaming is today and easily be able to determine which of the claims Star Citizen is making are realistic or complete bullshit. They're not even making their own revolutionary unique game engine, they're just cannibalizing other mediocre engines... They're not bringing anything amazingly cool or new to the table.

They're building all these elaborate systems before they've even figured out how to get more than 15 people in the same instance. :psyduck:

IF they want to make an MMO where thousands of people can create space civilizations and live their space-lives... then they gotta get that specific backbone of the game made first. But I think they know it's not possible and will probably just instance the game to hell so you'll only ever have like 20 people in an area... which means fleet battles of 10vs10...which isn't exactly the dramatic space fleet encounter the nerds are hoping for.

Nerds want super elaborate boarding animations and helmets with 4000 moving parts, fully destructible ships with 10 active people in them and always fully rendered ship interiors and poo poo and that will just not work in a big multiplayer game, certainly not an MMO.

Maybe in another 10 years???

Seriously, if all they had was an empty room that 100 people could connect to and move around in, they would be closer to a finished Star Citizen than they are right now, or will ever be.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

food court bailiff posted:

like, i know that that's what we actually use computers for, so it's counterintuitive, but if you just add .1 + .1 + .1 to itself a few times over you'll end up with weird poo poo like .3000000000000004 instead of .3 unless you go out of your way to avoid it because binary is absolutely godawful at representing decimal places. loving with the scale that something is generally assumed to be working under is going to make weird stuff like that show up way more often

For this reason "a equals b?" is not really a question you should ever ask of floating point numbers; instead you want "|a-b| < epsilon?" Unfortunately you have to figure out a good value for epsilon, accounting for the different precisions of a and b...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

new phone who dis posted:

I think some of them live in Alaska where there isn't a drat thing to do for 9 months a year and the state sends you money just for living there.

I'm pretty sure he's in Texas but you're right in that a lot of the weirdest ones are Alaskan (including the chomo).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Leonard J Crabs, Cloud Imperium Gaming Attorney on Retainer posted:

Yes, my clients did enter this contract with Crytek, this is not a point Cloud Imperium Gaming is refuting. However in order for the Plaintiff to have a valid breach of contract to contest they must prove that my clients are developing ANY game, let alone two.

To date we have seen no such evidence presented in this Space Court. :smuggo:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So is the networking limit that they would run into a hard limit for the forseeable future? In 25 yrs or 50 would it be possible or would that require a completely different infastructure? Like if the government poured a billion dollars into researching it for some reason would they be able to theoretically do it or would they just eventually hit like max effeciency and never get any further.

I dont know about this stuff other than a lightspeed limit but it seems to me we are closer to having ai being good enough to fool you than 1,000 player 4k space battles or shooters. Hell i think some sports games ai already could fool you initially.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

One of the org leaders at [H] lives in his sisters basement and works odd jobs (I believe mowing his uncles lawn was mentioned). When people were like "Jesus dude why are you spending so much money on this game" he pulled the typical "It's all disposable income :smug: " despite the fact that all his income is disposable since he doesn't provide for his own care. He also accused job having grown ups of being jealous of his disposable income.

The other org leader IIRC works in some medical field and is one of the most insufferable idiots I've ever come across on the internet.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Does anyone have any screen caps handy of the bird guy? The guy that'd make 12 paragraph posts exploring every aspect of procedural bird related gameplay? I loved that guy.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Alchemy: Once we hit the our 5000 Goat goal, all backers will receive one bar of transmutated gold

Or backing an expedition to find the fountain of youth (we have a map, and deadlines we promise to keep)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

veiled boner fuel posted:

Does anyone have any screen caps handy of the bird guy? The guy that'd make 12 paragraph posts exploring every aspect of procedural bird related gameplay? I loved that guy.

He became a goon. I remember him joining when i was following the thread.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

More like Star Shitizens

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
One of my friends posted a video about Star Citizen on Facebook. It was clear from the post that they didn't know anything about it and were just posting it in a "hey this looks like it will be a cool game" kinda way. So I told them what was up, and some guy came in to defend it. It was bizarre, he actually said that the game has been made and is in alpha, and said that everything is on schedule. These people are genuinely delusional, to the point of seriously considering if they might be ill in some way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DogonCrook posted:

He became a goon. I remember him joining when i was following the thread.

Yeah now that you mention it I remember that too.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

One of my friends posted a video about Star Citizen on Facebook. It was clear from the post that they didn't know anything about it and were just posting it in a "hey this looks like it will be a cool game" kinda way. So I told them what was up, and some guy came in to defend it. It was bizarre, he actually said that the game has been made and is in alpha, and said that everything is on schedule. These people are genuinely delusional, to the point of seriously considering if they might be ill in some way.

You should link it and see what happens. Like, for science.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
His posts:

quote:

the game is in 3.0 alpha, yes alpha.. i have it and love it, it is better than any full released game i have played the graphics and game play mechanics are to die for, they have made there own engine from scratch, out of the crytek engine. they are doing things that no other game has even considered or could even , do with their engines if you think any other games were built in a week with a few bob your crazy. unless your referring to EA or ubisoft i payed 40 bucks which gives me everything, you don't have to pay out the rear end, if you don't want to, what do you mean by actually made? lol everything is on schedule . squadron 42 episode one for this year and 3.1 is coming very soon

quote:

what do you mean it dont exist im playing it now, you have jumped on the hate train with out even knowing what your talking about...by all means im no fanboy paying $400 for a digital ship that you can earn in game is fckn stupid.. but im a fan of what they are doing at CIG its above and beyond what any other IP can do, they are making ground breaking developments for the gaming industry..

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

:stonk:

Delete your FB. NOW! Do it, don't wait!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

oh my god

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

:stonk:

Delete your FB. NOW! Do it, don't wait!!

It's okay this person is not a friend of mine, I don't know him at all.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's okay this person is not a friend of mine, I don't know him at all.

You're right. He's probably already gotten all of your info.

Good luck.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

His posts:

quote:

they have made there own engine from scratch, out of the crytek engine

:thunk:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

:thunk:

I was gonna quote that as well.

I made my own cake from scratch, I bought it at the store.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

This made me wonder if “dear contracts” from the confused Indian males thread had somehow been paid as a cig facebook shill.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JB50 posted:

I made my own cake from scratch, I bought it at the store.

This is good. Reply to the dude with replies from this thread. Let's see how far the madness goes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DogonCrook posted:

So is the networking limit that they would run into a hard limit for the forseeable future? In 25 yrs or 50 would it be possible or would that require a completely different infastructure? Like if the government poured a billion dollars into researching it for some reason would they be able to theoretically do it or would they just eventually hit like max effeciency and never get any further.

I dont know about this stuff other than a lightspeed limit but it seems to me we are closer to having ai being good enough to fool you than 1,000 player 4k space battles or shooters. Hell i think some sports games ai already could fool you initially.

Every player you add to the game increases the amount of data your have to send and receive by a exponential amount. You aren't just adding one player's worth of data transmission. You also have to send data related to that player to all the other players, so that I can see you and you see me. So it approximately goes up by players squared.

Putting lots of players together, you have to do very clever things and/or make the amount of data per player very small. But it's not impossible and it doesn't need a billion dollars of research.

The main reason nobody does it is, what exactly does a 1000 player 4k space battle get you? If I shoot my space guns at 3 people and then the 4th guy shoots me, what do I get from the other 995 people in the background? Is it cool that they're there? Yeah. But doing things just because it sounds cool is how you get star citizens. Unless it has real impact on the game you get nothing from all that work. Get rid of 980 players and replace them with an animated background of spaceship battles.

Eve online has 1000 player battles. It's worth it for that game because eve is spreadsheets and space politics, and a war between thousands of players actually matters. Making a star wars game where you fight the battle of endor with 1000 other players isn't worth it if you're just going to fight the battle of endor over and over again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So every planet is like Tiny Earth from Rick and Morty?

(I actually figured that's probably not the worst place for a small family to settle; easy to map out, no obstacles that can be too much of a danger to you, while enough room to run around. They should use it as a holiday home)

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Were Eve's 1000-player battles ever not laggy as hell? When I tried it, that was always my experience.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Spending $400 on stuff you can earn in game is fuckin stupid" is the chief defense of guys who have spent $350 on stuff you can earn in game and $200 on subscriptions and physical merch lol

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

eve plays like a spreadsheet and even that chugs like crazy in huge battles

star citizen has always been impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

The only proper response to spending that much on a game is "because im a loving billionaire lol"