Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hold off on the amicus brief until this case gets to the sup. Ct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al
21 DAY Summons Issued re Complaint (Attorney Civil Case Opening)1 as to Defendant Roberts Space Industries Corp.
21 DAY Summons Issued re Complaint (Attorney Civil Case Opening)1 as to Defendant Cloud Imperium Games Corp.

Three Weeks!

Truga posted:

I considered doing the same for spectrum, but :effort: setting up a logging bot for something that's dying anyway prevented me from doing it, but I really wonder what the stats there look like right now.

Star Citizen will never die.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Mr Fronts posted:

Looks like Skadden's crowdfunding website is up and running!

http://www.skadden.com/pledge/

Remember, your pledge is a donation, and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP choose to eviscerate CIG as a gift.

They owe you nothing. You have the right to demand nothing. It's a privilege and a blessing to give Skadden your cash.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really cannot wait to read CIG's Answer

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I maintain my theory that it's subs that are accounting for that baseline. There is no other explanation, and there is no way that they will continue to fudge this, now that there is an active lawsuit filed, and which has the potential to throw all of this into discovery, seeing as the lawsuit is about money.

There is no way they have enough subs to maintain 30k/day. That would mean 1500 subscribers/day for their 20$ sub, that's 45 000 subs for a month. There is nowhere a presence of that many engaged citizens.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Are there any decent space sandboxes

ED kinda bores me

I just got X3

I highly suggest giving evochron a spin. It's not the best game ever, but it works well, has some cool gimmicks and secrets going on, and there's a demo to try before you buy.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Zzr posted:

There is no way they have enough subs to maintain 30k/day. That would mean 1500 subscribers/day for their 20$ sub, that's 45 000 subs for a month. There is nowhere a presence of that many engaged citizens.

But have you considered the appeal of hangar flair?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

I highly suggest giving evochron a spin. It's not the best game ever, but it works well, has some cool gimmicks and secrets going on, and there's a demo to try before you buy.

I got Evochron legacy on sale years ago and dunno what to do in it

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

How bad is the new Star Wars?

If you're a star wars fan it seems to be 50/50 whether you'll love it to the point of audible orgasmic delight like the stereotypical nerds sat behind us in the cinema, or detest it so much you'll post frothy mouthed 1/2 star reviews on rotten tomatoes about how a hipster has ruined the Saga.

If you're not fussed about star wars it's a perfectly okay but slightly too long Disney Industries Blockbuster Product(TM) with a couple of nice action scenes and some awkward toy advertisements masquerading as movie scenes.

My favourite thing about it was the the ginger Harry Potter guy's character whose name sounds like General Hugs, that was funny every time they said it.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Phi230 posted:

I got Evochron legacy on sale years ago and dunno what to do in it

Sounds like open world do your own thing isnt up your alley, play some freepsace2 instead. There are nice mods out for it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As I got older i started to appreciate trek a lot more. Like when I was young I couldn't stand to even think about star trek but now I'd rather watch dumb poo poo like a Data episode than spend 50 bux to see the new Star Wars

Paaaarp

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Sounds like open world do your own thing isnt up your alley, play some freepsace2 instead. There are nice mods out for it.

No I love open worlds. And RPGs. Besides grog games those are the only games I enjoy. I just need a to be shown a step in the right direction

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

wait seriously?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

Someone call how much the Christmas / ELE / Couttes Interest Repayment / Crytek Lawsuit / Year End - Sale Livestream Extravaganza is going to reap!

Next to nothing. Anything they show will count as income in their court case.

Let's say, $500k.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Still the the most compelling exchange in this whole saga and really ground zero for the anti-SC v SC people and the reason why I really got interested in this whole story. It was all to incredible. Here you have a paying customer (backer) laying out his arguments as to why he feels there are huge issues with how long the game is taking and why so little has been done and your #1 marketing person can't answer them at all except to get personal and defense. Utterly incredible and completely unprofessional. How could one customer service exchange cause them to get so unhinged? Because the insights Beer provides hit too close to home I think.

For someone claiming to be "the best salesperson in the world" (another incredible line and hilarious) she certainly did a terrible job of it in those emails. Instead of trying to sell it basically personally attacked a guy for having a different opinion. And for people wondering why the SC is toxic and insular it's because the top people leading the project (Sandi and Chris) are themselves as we just saw. Beer asking legit questions and she takes it all personal and basically tells him to f off.

Skadden will have a heyday with these people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I want some random company to develop a Freespace-like game (so not Elite) with procedurally generated universe in a time frame that took RSI to develop the next 0.1 improvement of Space JPEGS and steal their thunder.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Phi230 posted:

No I love open worlds. And RPGs. Besides grog games those are the only games I enjoy. I just need a to be shown a step in the right direction

Pick a minor (or even player) faction in ED and support it by doing whatever missions you fancy that are on offer from a central station where you can stash your ships and bits, that works for me.

Or there's X3TC which got an update about 6 months ago, also grab the bonus plugin so you can automate trade ships and fit afterburners and other fun things.

https://www.egosoft.com/download/x3tc/bonus_en.php

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Zzr posted:

I'm not sure, I've met my share of skeleton clothe's wearer, and all of them felt weirds, like there is something unnatural about them.

Taken as a complete compliment

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

D_Smart posted:

I know, right? It's so loving hilarious to me when I look back and remember when sources told me, and I wrote that, it DID NOT loving EXIST.

And backers were all like "gently caress him, he doesn't know poo poo! Oh, and croberts didn't promise anything for Dec 2016"

Good times :grin:

You know what really kills me? Is 3.0 hits the test servers almost a year after you said that and mouth-breathing motherfuckers tripped over themselves here and elsewhere to go "AHA DERKLE SMERT OUTWHEATED AGAIN!" as though something taking about 10 or so months to even loving materialise in a patchy, lovely, incomplete form was somehow indicative of anything but the last few months being an attempt to scrounge up whatever pieces of crap in their broken house of dreams they could and poop out something to keep people going as quick as they could and still not managing to put out something worth releasing to their backers.

Bayonnefrog posted:

For someone claiming to be "the best salesperson in the world" (another incredible line and hilarious) she certainly did a terrible job of it in those emails. Instead of trying to sell it basically personally attacked a guy for having a different opinion. And for people wondering why the SC is toxic and insular it's because the top people leading the project (Sandi and Chris) are themselves as we just saw. Beer asking legit questions and she takes it all personal and basically tells him to f off.

Honestly the biggest and most glaringly obvious sign Sandi was terrible at her job was that the Star Citizen official twitter just routinely asks backers to supply content while her twitter is a mess-load of pictures clearly taken by someone else on her behalf and often had little windows into how hosed up things were posted in them.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

I try not to dive too deeply into the CIG meta, but I'll offer a counterpoint here for you to consider. It's rather obvious that Ben has mental damage. We don't know whether or not that is his fault, so I can't automatically condemn him for it. There is ample evidence that his mind doesn't work properly, I don't need to go digging for it.

Many of the other players at CIG are deliberate liars, thieves, and predators, who don't care who is harmed as long as they keep getting money/attention/adulation/confirmation. They smile as the people around them die because the resources then go to themselves.

Ben does not strike me that way. He's just quite literally defective on a fundamental level. Something (or a great many somethings) are violently misfiring in his brain. I think a true victory is Ben snapping out of it, turning on CIG, and burying the true villains.

It totally won't happen. But in my private alternate universe I can imagine this ending any way I like.

Fair points. I am forced to consider the rule of comedy to not punch down. But I will not simply forgive a heel turn to bring down the beast.

Not that any of this matters, Ben will be spared space court I assume.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Necatus posted:

While this is true, even if the code shown in the newest Bugsmashers was from Lumberyard, they'd be in breach of contract with Amazon as well.

https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/#57._Amazon_Lumberyard_Engine

They do not identify the source as required, and they include far more than 50 lines (not to mention them giving up the rights to any modified code shown).

Jeff Bezos will save us! Wait why's he suing CIG too? Oh noooooo

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

lol can I request an emote creation from a king goon? I'd love to see this emote but the chips are just thrown to one side and then just spin jankily before disappearing?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I have always admired & respected SidAlpha for his usual neutral stance on Star Citizen; even 2yrs ago when most people thought I was insane (they didn't get the memo I guess) for suggesting the project was doomed. His latest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guz4I6mHO1I

Now this is how you make a bragpost. I mean this sincerely, this is the most proper way to revel in one's own victories.

It's like you just quietly walked into a meeting, turned off the lights, turned on the projector, and reveald your victory in a classy fashion.

Good show.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

veiled boner fuel posted:

How's this going? I haven't checked in for a while.

Not so well my friend.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Stating they implemented 64 bit positioning as fact is stupid. There's no evidence of it outside their stupid claim.
Like are you really going to believe they managed this while the 3.0 that just needed some more polish last December you don't?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sabreseven posted:

As much flak as we give your long blogs and general knack of producing a lot of words, I would definitely buy your book (hardback of course) and send it to you for a signature (generous and nice offer tbh), and I would read it and enjoy it. :)

I bet MoMa would too tbh. :)

No need. Just re-read every blog and twitlonger he's ever written. BAM: book done.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

has MoMA figured out his talking points yet

- Game is still in development
- 400+ people can't all be wrong
- It was a pledge God drat-it.

- :negative:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

No need. Just re-read every blog and twitlonger he's ever written. BAM: book done.

How goes the paper shredding, ToastMoMA

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BeigeJacket posted:

How bad is the new Star Wars?

Uh, honest answer here- I'd like to say I'm not a fanboy because I don't have any great love for the franchise. But I've been consuming Star Wars related junk for the better part of my adult life, when I think about it. I've seen all the movies and played most of the games from Dark Forces through to that Kotor MMO. I've even read a few of the expanded universe books, to my regret. I don't have a single piece of SW branded merchandise in my house and I don't think I've ever been particularly thrilled by any of it, so- take from that what you will.

The new movie is bad in the same way that most modern blockbusters are bad. It's a lot of money and talent poured into what is, in the end, a soulless corporate product. For all of George Lucas' faults, there was some glimmer of authorial intent in the originals that just isn't present here. You can feel the demographic marketing in every scene this movie. The porgs, the little nun-aliens, the moment at the end where the little boy holds up a broom handle and it reflects just like a lightsaber. See, kids? Star Wars is for you too! Hey look, R2 is playing the princess Leia tape to Luke again! Remember that, olds? Please keep it relevant for another 20 years or so, we need a return on our investment!

It is cluttered with contradictory morals that don't go anywhere- forget your past, remember the past, don't be a hero, heroism is actually saving other people not killing your enemies, it doesn't matter who your parents were, it absolutely matters who your parents were, the rebellion is dead, the rebellion is alive, etc. etc. Most of the cast run around with little to no effect on the outcome of the movie. The stakes are muddled and unclear- despite winning in the last movie, the rebels are on the run and losing badly in this one- more or less exactly how the original episode 2 was set up, but for no particular reason this time. None of the tactical decisions make any sense, new technologies and weapons are introduced that completely upend the established history of the universe (hyperspace tracking? hyperspace attacks? Why didn't they hyperspace a ship into every other Imperial fleet ever?). There's a bit of handwave to a bunch of fan theories about why the Force is such a crapsack deal for everyone, but then the movie forgets about that and everyone goes back to using it. Luke is rewritten in a way that irritated a lot of fans but didn't bother me all that much- apparently he took 10 years off because he tried to murder a kid and failed, so the best thing to do was go hide instead of fix his mistake or apologize I guess?

Anyway it's perfectly serviceable if you just want to see a few spaceships get blowed up real good. And it'll make a billion dollars and propel the franchise forward by another few years. But much like the big super hero tent pole movies, I think I'm just burned out on the whole thing. Give me something with a little heart, you know? Give me something that feels like an entire self contained story instead of just the latest installment in a serial franchise that feels like we've seen it all before.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 18, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

How goes the paper shredding, ToastMoMA

I'm not allowed to shred paper at my client. IronMountain collects it and carts it away.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not allowed to shred paper at my client. IronMountain collects it and carts it away.

:rip:

Do you think CIG should release Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 to Live this year?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Tophat posted:

Fair points. I am forced to consider the rule of comedy to not punch down. But I will not simply forgive a heel turn to bring down the beast.

Not that any of this matters, Ben will be spared space court I assume.

Your vitriol towards him is fine.
Until he steps up and apologizes for his past, he's just hiding behind some facade of lovable fat guy. And it works, example being that feller who replied to you. The guy is trash. Being broken in the brain doesn't change anything.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star wars is overrated,there are better sci-fi franhises out there guys,i mean look at wing co-

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also, Yoda shows up and uses force lightning at one point and that was pretty fuckin' weird.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

:rip:

Do you think CIG should release Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 to Live this year?

Sure.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

ManofManyAliases posted:

- Game is still in development
- 400+ people can't all be wrong
- It was a pledge God drat-it.

- :negative:

Preorder...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I agree, I can't wait to make people refund as I grief the living poo poo out of everyone in the verse

give me 3.0 before I go on vacation robbo

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Man this is gonna be really weird to context if they quote the poo poo out of it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

The new movie is bad in the same way that most modern blockbusters are bad. It's a lot of money and talent poured into what is, in the end, a soulless corporate product. For all of George Lucas' faults, there was some glimmer of authorial intent in the originals that just isn't present here. You can feel the demographic marketing in every scene this movie. The porgs, the little nun-aliens, the moment at the end where the little boy holds up a broom handle and it reflects just like a lightsaber. See, kids? Star Wars is for you too! Hey look, R2 is playing the princess Leia tape to Luke again! Remember that, olds? Please keep it relevant for another 20 years or so, we need a return on our investment!
Oh gently caress me yes.

Saw it last night. It's not that it's bad, it's perfectly entertaining (it goes on for loving ages though). It just feels a little hollow and contrived.

Or maybe it's me. Maybe I grew up without noticing. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

To be considered that your game is epic at least one character should be in Ready Player One.

Let me check...

Wing commander..... Nope
Star citizen.... Nope