Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Has polyamory ever worked out? Like, even once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Volcott posted:

It's the kind of thing where people always loudly and widely report it as a success while it is "working" and then are never heard from again when it fails.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yes it does work sometimes, if the people are right for it. Why wouldn’t it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Yes it does work sometimes, if the people are right for it. Why wouldn’t it?

Just like communism.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Because we don't want to jinx it. :shh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volcott posted:

Sure as hell not in my case.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Volcott posted:

I have three sets of poly friends. They were poly when they got together, got married, were still poly after getting married, and are poly now. Actually, one from one marriage is dating another from another marriage. They all seem very happy. Sometimes they come over to our monogamous household and ask for advice or vent worries and we're always supportive and non-judgmental because why would we be anything else? I definitely don't "get it" but they all are genuinely well-adjusted, kind people and seem to be doing something right since they've all been together for nearly as long as I've known them. I think it works sometimes, but I think like anything else if you don't have support and aren't honest, then everything just falls the gently caress apart.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Most people have their hands full just neglecting one spouse and kids after work and 6 hours of sleep.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Volcott posted:

What's that joke, theres nothing wrong with polyamory except for the people that are doing it.

In chit's case, it seems that his girlfriend was a bit of a poo poo, so it would probably have fallen apart anyway - he's lucky it was before the wedding.

I dated a bunch of poly girls when I lived in the city, and it was perfectly fine while I was the "bit on the side" (one was married, so it was clear from the outset where the boundary was), but it's when proper emotions and commitments get involved that it invariably turns messy. I think a lot of the time people are using it to deflect from their fear of commitment, and that sucks for everyone involved.

Also anyone who uses the phrase "relationship anarchy" can sod right off.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
When I was a teenager, I remember telling my mom that you can't have sex with someone unless you love them. She responded with "oh, yes you can" a little too quickly.

In a polyamorous relationship, I'd be the one crying / masturbating at home while my spouse hit the town with a dude on each arm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm not gonna get into details because this isn't an E/N thread, but yeah she had a lot of issues. I was willing to work through a lot of it because I loved her, but she wasn't willing to work on herself and was constantly suffering from her money "mysteriously disappearing" and making impulsive, sweeping decisions about what direction to take her life that I could barely talk her out of. Two days before she dumped me, we had an argument because she really wanted to have a boyfriend and a husband simultaneously (and she made it out initially like the only reason was because she was into some terrifying BDSM stuff that I wasn't comfortable with doing to her, but she admitted during the argument to having feelings for him) and I told her that I wasn't at all comfortable with it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not gonna get into details because this isn't an E/N thread, but yeah she had a lot of issues. I was willing to work through a lot of it because I loved her, but she wasn't willing to work on herself and was constantly suffering from her money "mysteriously disappearing" and making impulsive, sweeping decisions about what direction to take her life that I could barely talk her out of. Two days before she dumped me, we had an argument because she really wanted to have a boyfriend and a husband simultaneously (and she made it out initially like the only reason was because she was into some terrifying BDSM stuff that I wasn't comfortable with doing to her, but she admitted during the argument to having feelings for him) and I told her that I wasn't at all comfortable with it.

Not to state the obvious but that whole thing seems like something she should not only have said before you guys got engaged but also when the relationship started.

I don’t know any poly folks, but maybe that is because I’m in Texas and in a monogamous marriage that would end if the monogamy ended, so I’m not exactly seeking to hang out with polyamorous people or understand polyamory better tbh.

Anyway that’s my contribution to the derail, cya

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

life is killing me posted:

I’m in Texas and in a monogamous marriage that would end if the monogamy ended

Username/post combo.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

walrusman posted:

Username/post combo.

Sounds about right. Life would certainly be killing me if my marriage ended.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Volcott posted:

Yes. I know a polyamorous group who have shared a multifamily house for going on twenty years, and they all get along wonderfully. They're also big old hippies.

Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee had a happy open marriage for decades.

So, twice, at least.

If you count swinging as polyamory, I've interviewed a bunch of people in decades-long marriages or relationships who have been swinging the whole time.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Dec 21, 2017

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

youknowthatoneguy posted:

Are there guys still like this? I would loving love for my wife to make a ton of money.

My wife makes roughly $95k/yr. more than I do.

We both work full-time jobs.

I love it.

gently caress insecure morons.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm just choosing to pretend this page didn't happen, Jesus Christ people.

The Iron Rose has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Dec 21, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah what Iron Rose says. Also

Zipperelli. posted:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Zipperelli. posted:

My wife makes roughly $95k/yr. more than I do.

We both work full-time jobs.

I love it.

Would she be open for a poly thing?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Non Serviam posted:

Financial polygamy where she pays for my stuff but I'm not bound by any marital responsibilities.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

I can't even get her to agree to a threesome, much less a romantic relationship with another person.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Katt posted:

Financial polygamy where she pays for my stuff but I'm not bound by any marital responsibilities.

You should look into findom (financial domination, not being a Finn).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Katt posted:

Exactly.

Would this work?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Zipperelli. posted:

I can't even get her to agree to a threesome, much less a romantic relationship with another person.

Even with you? :ohdear:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ilmucche posted:

Especially him.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fathis Munk posted:

You should look into findom

I work with two Fins. I experience Findom whenever it's sauna time and they brandish the spruce twig :negative:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know plenty of couples into swinging that have very succesful relationships, otherwise (including mine). Poly is needlessly complicating stuff, imo. I've seen couples crash and burn when the swinging started to get a bit too personal and they were moving towards poly.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Katt posted:

I work with two fins,
if you catch my drift, babe

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Foglet posted:

if you catch my drift, babe

I swam into that one :v:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Especially him.

especially me :ohdear:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My wife and I both have the dream for either one of us to make enough the other doesn't have to work.

Then the other will still work and those paychecks will be nothing but play around money.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

sixth and maimed posted:

I know plenty of couples into swinging that have very succesful relationships, otherwise (including mine). Poly is needlessly complicating stuff, imo. I've seen couples crash and burn when the swinging started to get a bit too personal and they were moving towards poly.

A lot of cucks itt

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Let's re-rail please.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's re-rail please.

Jokes on them. He was reading it for his African American Culture Studies course. I guess he can just skip to Invisible Man.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's re-rail please.

I need to see comments on this. I just have to know if they double down and add more poo poo that obviously didn't happen to the story.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You really think someone would do that? Just go into a Toy Shop and preach lies?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Let's re-rail please.

Pretty sure this is making fun of what they consider “over sensitive tumblr types” and not sincere

But yeah stdh either way

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

When I was six, I ate a big rear end glob of wasabi not knowing what it was. All the asians just laughed at me.