Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a shame Conor's such a chump because the Tony fight would be sick and winnable for either man with a slight edge to Conor (imo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^ Agreed

MassRafTer posted:

I agree without seeing evidence I find it hard to believe at that gym that a lack of hard work would be the problem. If anything it just contributed to his body breaking down quicker. Combine that with an obvious hole in his game and you get what we see now.

Do you people not understand that you can work really hard at the wrong thing? He obviously hadn't been working on his footwork or getting off the cage. He did improve his punching form but he was always squared up against the cage so it didn't matter.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you people?!?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ8Vq4DS8mY

i apologize

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

^^^ Agreed

Do you people not understand that you can work really hard at the wrong thing? He obviously hadn't been working on his footwork or getting off the cage. He did improve his punching form but he was always squared up against the cage so it didn't matter.

Hmm

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Maybe you should be his coach or mentor

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I am Otis posted:

Maybe you should be his coach or mentor

He should have gone to Jackson/Wink earlier. The same thing happened to Benson. He's basically the same fighter he was 5 years ago.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Conor being afraid of Tony is amusing.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

mewse posted:

The anal cavity expert in this very thread let us know that the rear end disease that GSP has is pretty serious, and even more serious when it presents itself in someone on the younger side like GSP is. Most likely we won't see him fight again.

to be clear that is just a personal opinion. his rear end problems as they stand could run the gamut between being episodic and relatively mild all the way up to needing to have his rear end removed and then it turning out he was misdiagnosed with a different, more aggressive rear end disease which could then affect his neo-rear end. all he's said on the matter is that whatever medication he's taking has made his rear end bleed less. two other ufc guys have had autoimmune rear end diseases, it completely derailed john hathaway's career but drew mcfedries fared better.

mewse
May 2, 2006

As always your expert opinion on bleeding from the rear end in a top hat is appreciated

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He should have gone to Jackson/Wink earlier. The same thing happened to Benson. He's basically the same fighter he was 5 years ago.

i don't think the answer to every fighter's problems is to go to a different camp. without duke roufus encouraging pettis to become a wacky longpants kicker except with shorts maybe he never would've gotten as good as he did. maybe without the chemistry he had with roufus he never would've gotten anywhere in mma at all.

basically i don't think mma is an rpg where you go to the +footwork camp to level up your footwork. maybe he did work really, really hard on his footwork but just couldn't pull it off in a fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I didn't say that was the answer to every fighter's problem. I'm talking about Anthony Pettis who did improve all of those things as soon as he went to a different gym. He's also old and beat up so he isn't as dangerous as he used to be (Duke Roufus sparring). I'm also not saying Roufus didn't teach him anything but sometimes fighters just aren't gaining anything new. That's probably why RDA had Parillo in his corner instead of Cordeiro.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah rda said he went to parillo specifically to work on his hands

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I didn't say that was the answer to every fighter's problem. I'm talking about Anthony Pettis who did improve all of those things as soon as he went to a different gym. He's also old and beat up so he isn't as dangerous as he used to be (Duke Roufus sparring). I'm also not saying Roufus didn't teach him anything but sometimes fighters just aren't gaining anything new. That's probably why RDA had Parillo in his corner instead of Cordeiro.

did he actually go to a different gym and get better? i thought he was still at rufous. my bad.

e: i didn't read your post properly, didn't see the 'earlier' in 'he should have gone to jackson-wink earlier'. sorry man.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 21, 2017

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Bisping tried to tell us GSP was a bleeding arsehole we should've listened

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Triticum Guzzler posted:

to be clear that is just a personal opinion. his rear end problems as they stand could run the gamut between being episodic and relatively mild all the way up to needing to have his rear end removed and then it turning out he was misdiagnosed with a different, more aggressive rear end disease which could then affect his neo-rear end. all he's said on the matter is that whatever medication he's taking has made his rear end bleed less. two other ufc guys have had autoimmune rear end diseases, it completely derailed john hathaway's career but drew mcfedries fared better.

Is there something about combat sports that makes people at higher risk for this stuff? Like, trauma to the GI tract or because of weight cutting or something?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

i dunno, what's the evidence for that? i'm not convinced that he was this unbeatable guy who coasted on pure talent. i think he just wasn't the world beater he looked like, especially once the entire division figured out how to beat him.

He doesn't have to be an unbeatable guy to coast on talent. He coasted and was good. A better work ethic and a more diverse skillset and an ability to gameplan would have made him a shitload better.

You can still see shades of it. In the Poirier fight, he could still slip out of tricky positions amazingly easily and quickly. He just couldn't keep it up. When he gets set, he can hit really hard, but if you put his back on the fence, he hasn't got poo poo. Someone, probably Jack Slack, pointed out that a key component of how badly RDA beat him was that RDA never gave him quite enough room for his long stance that set up his kicks.

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think the answer to every fighter's problems is to go to a different camp. without duke roufus encouraging pettis to become a wacky longpants kicker except with shorts maybe he never would've gotten as good as he did. maybe without the chemistry he had with roufus he never would've gotten anywhere in mma at all.

basically i don't think mma is an rpg where you go to the +footwork camp to level up your footwork. maybe he did work really, really hard on his footwork but just couldn't pull it off in a fight.

This is a good point. Chemistry is a pretty big component of training well, this is true even at the low level I trained at. I mean, everyone gets better when they train with Hume, for instance, but most people don't stick around.

In whiny chump news, Bisping is complaining about how GSP handled the belt. Which, given the last year, is the bitterest irony.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is there something about combat sports that makes people at higher risk for this stuff? Like, trauma to the GI tract or because of weight cutting or something?

its not specific to combat sports but stress contributes to all kinds of ailments and chronic injuries

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

did he actually go to a different gym and get better? i thought he was still at rufous. my bad.

e: i didn't read your post properly, didn't see the 'earlier' in 'he should have gone to jackson-wink earlier'. sorry man.

He hasn't gotten drastically better because it's hard to develop new skills so far into a career while also being injured all the time. That's why guys like RDA are so cool. He is steadily improving to cover up his weaknesses. His head movement and combos were better against Lawler than Alvarez.

There are also a ton of people who stay in one place and keep growing. It's always going to be a crap shoot to change gyms so it's understandable that Pettis didn't especially with his relationship to Roufus.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 22, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

lol i thought he was referring to tony

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Conor McGregor calling Floyd Mayweather a pussy on instagram for not fighting in MMA has a special kind of irony to it at this point.

The picture was of himself. Conor knows he's a pussy for not defending his belts. It was a label.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowman_McK posted:

In whiny chump news, Bisping is complaining about how GSP handled the belt. Which, given the last year, is the bitterest irony.

"Can dish it out but can't take it" is basically the default Bisping setting. He'd be pretty poo poo to banter with I think. Nothing worse than someone who can't take getting dunked on with good grace.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

hmm, i guess antibiotic use possibly? of the "complex" diseases autoimmune rear end diseases have the most known genes involved (last time i checked 163 had been identified) and even though we reduce it down to 2 named diseases realistically it's lots of different ones that present similarly. there's a network of genetic factors, environmental factors, and immune factors, as well as lots of stuff that isn't understood yet, so i really couldn't say because the pathogenesis isn't fully understood

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Duncan just say its extremely common in mma fighters due to lack of formal information technology training thank you

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It’s because of steroids

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

"Can dish it out but can't take it" is basically the default Bisping setting. He'd be pretty poo poo to banter with I think. Nothing worse than someone who can't take getting dunked on with good grace.

I think my favourite was him having a go at Yoel for cheating, while he's the guy who landed the most blatantly illegal knee in the UFC's history and did his best to gouge Alan Belcher's eye out.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
One of the most common reasons to get rear end disease is abuse of steroids.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I am going to get steroids now

mewse
May 2, 2006

I am Otis posted:

I am going to get steroids now

"Don't Do Steroids Unless You're Brock Lesnar" -- Dana White

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Brock Lesnar has never done steroids in his life.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
someone is just jealous he wasn’t born with the body of a black man

mewse
May 2, 2006

Haha yeah the man who CRIMINALLY ASSAULTED Mark Hunt doesn't do steroids :rolleyes:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Work Friend Keven posted:

Brock Lesnar has never done steroids in his life.

You're probably right

HGH is more his game

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik4Y3epi0nY

I just watched this video which highlights your point, although Dom does a pretty good job of dunking on him. The "one eye" line is savage.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mewse posted:

Haha yeah the man who CRIMINALLY ASSAULTED Mark Hunt doesn't do steroids :rolleyes:

You don’t need steroids to beat up Mark Hunt.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
but it helps!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Can you get rear end disease if a bunch of gay men come in your rear end hole?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You're saying GSP has rear end warts?

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

my rear end bled a lot for like 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Been meaning to apologize for that. We really should have came up with a safe word.

• Locked thread