Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Another information dense video. Several key points have been conveyed in just 93 seconds. Lets try to unpack that a bit.

1) Mars First Martian Terrorists have blown up a civilian colony vessel.
Boo. Hiss. Usually terrorists only have support when the economy is doing poorly or the government is being excessively dickish. Neither is the case here, Mars has more jobs than workers so there aren't any idle hands to stir up trouble. I'm going to put this down to Jumpmadness spreading. Not sure what to do to counter that.

2) TFS exploration ship that met mechanical uncle is MIA by 4 days.
We should offer to send a last gen fleet scout or two along with a jump tender to help look for it.

3) Civilians don't know why fleets are being redeployed.
This means our Martian government hasn't yet released news of the Fartcrabs. So much for the progressive left!

Serpentis posted:

He realised he’d let his zeal get ahead of him again, and not thought out what he was going to actually say. He weighed up the risk for a moment. Here, at least, he could close the bathroom door in a pinch, but his personal prayer-holo was in the main room desk, and if one of the officers came in with urgent news while he was preparing in there and reading … Hm. Best not to chance it. He tutted at his own recklessness before taking a breath. Perhaps a classic would serve in times like these.

“O Martis, hallowed be thy dunes,

Oh look. A cult. A secret cult. A secret cult in a culture that has no prior references to being a theological state or persecuting weird religions.
This is so loving bad. A new religion popping up right now just about has to be the result of jumpmadness influence.

That they're hiding knowledge of even the existence of the cult pretty much confirms it. If the religion was all sweetness and light they wouldn't be hiding it in our society.

Worse, they have spaceship captains on their side. Spaceship captains with access to next generation better-than-nuke warheads. If the broadcast hadn't been so specific about the small size of the explosion, It'd be a slam dunk that this is where they got the nuke from. As is, it could still be one of our AMMs or even a last generation size 1 missile.

Hey, remember how one of UT's captains nuked the surface of Earth after going jump crazy? Our captains might start doing it just because they belong to a crazy cult. No magic number of too many jumps needed first. Best of all, we can't even do anything about it since its a secret cult we don't officially know about. Happy holidays everyone! :toot:

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Nevets posted:

Plan: Red Scare

Now this, this is a plan I can get behind. A vote for Red Scare.

LLSix posted:

Oh look. A cult. A secret cult. A secret cult in a culture that has no prior references to being a theological state or persecuting weird religions.
This is so loving bad. A new religion popping up right now just about has to be the result of jumpmadness influence.

That they're hiding knowledge of even the existence of the cult pretty much confirms. If the religion was all sweetness and light they wouldn't be hiding it in our society.

Worse, they have spaceship captains on their side. Spaceship captains with access to next generation better-than-nuke warheads. If the broadcast hadn't been so specific about the small size of the explosion, It'd be a slam dunk that this is where they got the nuke from. As is, it could still be one of our AMMs or even a last generation size 1 missile.

Hey, remember how one of UTs captains nuked the surface of Earth after going jump crazy? Our captains might start doing it just because they belong to a crazy cult. No magic number of too many jumps needed first. Best of all, we can't even do anything about it since its a secret cult we don't officially know about. Happy holidays everyone! :toot:

You may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
There is an excellent chance Mars First is funded by Terra. It's run by Putin's daughter, for God's sake!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The SETI plan will help with stymying Mars First influence. Something just cracking down will never do. (Crack down on hardliners and give the moderates what they want is what we need to do)

It will also take care of the IC issue smoothly and help with relations with earth.

Plus imagine not having to dedicate slipways and research towards terraforming! We can go on a war footing while keeping our population happy!

Mars First is a result of our actions! Let's take responsibility in ending it!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

LLSix posted:

Boo. Hiss. Usually terrorists only have support when the economy is doing poorly or the government is being excessively dickish. Neither is the case here, Mars has more jobs than workers so there aren't any idle hands to stir up trouble. I'm going to put this down to Jumpmadness spreading. Not sure what to do to counter that.

[...]

That they're hiding knowledge of even the existence of the cult pretty much confirms it. If the religion was all sweetness and light they wouldn't be hiding it in our society.

Hey, remember how one of UT's captains nuked the surface of Earth after going jump crazy? Our captains might start doing it just because they belong to a crazy cult. No magic number of too many jumps needed first. Best of all, we can't even do anything about it since its a secret cult we don't officially know about. Happy holidays everyone! :toot:

Oh poo poo, is jump madness contagious or something? Unless Mars First are all military personnel who have jumped.... well, apparently the civilians are going jump mad somehow? We, uh, we might be kinda hosed. What the hell is causing this? Is it getting worse? Is it affecting the other factions?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It doesn't necessarily have to be contagious. More and more people getting it increases the chances of someone who's influential or charismatic getting it and persuading others to his or her weird space madness born ideas.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Only a miniscule portion of humanity has ever actually jumped anywhere (with a drive at least, millions have used gates), and those few thousand who have are all active duty military personnel, not big influential figures.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Lots of cult leaders aren't big deals until they get the cult going. It just takes one being charismatic. Also I think in a +/- Fantatics ultra-nationalist society the military might actually have a fair degree of prestige and its personal some social capital.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

So, ready to pass jump tax legislation yet, or are we still too squeamish?

We should definitely pass Red Scare, just for the Mars First bit. Can we vote in multiple plans?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 22, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here's the text of the bulletin, for easy reference.

quote:

Deidrick Galen, Mars Federal News, at the top of the hour, December 22nd, 2054.  And leading the news tonight, a shocking attack by terrorists on the Cryonic Princess, a slabship holding more than fifty thousand brave Terran immigrants on their way to take the Red Pledge.  Eyewitnesses from Tycho Central report a bright flash visible from Mars surface, and security forces have provided preliminary reports of a megaton level detonation consistent with nuclear warhead.  Terrorist group Mars First have claimed responsibility, with a rambling recorded statement that denounces ‘Terran bloodsuckers and spies’ and claims attacks will continue until Mars is safe for Martians.  Investigations are ongoing.

Adding to the developing tensions, sources, who have asked to remain confidential because they want their identity kept secret, report that Titan Free State interstellar exploration ship the Internationale is four days overdue.

As well, amateur astronomers are reporting significant unheralded fleet movements by both Martian and terran naval forces.  We have asked Mars Command for an explanation but had not received an answer at time of broadcast.

Up next, Professor Warm Queedle on the Ranginui discoveries, and jus what they might mean for your place, in this ever more complex universe.  Deidrick Galen, Martian Federal News

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Red Scare will probably result in a civil war. Do delegitimize them; do not declare war on them. An amnesty program isn't a bad idea.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Red Scare will probably result in a civil war. Do delegitimize them; do not declare war on them. An amnesty program isn't a bad idea.

They just nuked our citizens. They are already engaged in a civil war with us. It is time to respond in kind.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

They just nuked our citizens. They are already engaged in a civil war with us. It is time to respond in kind.

They committed an act of terrorism. They should be prosecuted according to the law. Civil war only benefits our rivals and enemies, who are legion.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

LLSix posted:

Why do you assume they're new? There's a fine line beween fanatics and zealots, the Rust Cult might well be old news.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh poo poo, is jump madness contagious or something? Unless Mars First are all military personnel who have jumped.... well, apparently the civilians are going jump mad somehow? We, uh, we might be kinda hosed. What the hell is causing this? Is it getting worse? Is it affecting the other factions?
Captain Serpentis might just be weird.

VanSandman posted:

Sounds like a fine way to get a lot more atomic hellfire unleashed than we otherwise would, chief.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Friend Commuter posted:

Why do you assume they're new? There's a fine line beween fanatics and zealots, the Rust Cult might well be old news.

Captain Serpentis might just be weird.

Couldn't comment on either count, naturally.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Serpentis posted:

Couldn't comment on either count, naturally.

Naturally.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

They committed an act of terrorism. They should be prosecuted according to the law. Civil war only benefits our rivals and enemies, who are legion.

If they are somehow large enough to actively start a civil war we are F U C K E D no matter what we do. Takes a couple crazy people to either nuke mars or earth. Getting rid of these people asap is important for the safety of both Martian and Terran citizens.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ChaseSP posted:

If they are somehow large enough to actively start a civil war we are F U C K E D no matter what we do. Takes a couple crazy people to either nuke mars or earth. Getting rid of these people asap is important for the safety of both Martian and Terran citizens.

I think declaring them as hostile combatants would legitimize them as a side and encourage some otherwise law abiding Martians to rise up with them in terraphobic and xenophobic solidarity. They are being used as tools to destabilize our society. Declaring war on them will escalate the situation when we should instead be undermining their political position and imprisoning the mass murderers responsible.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I honestly don't see any positions that aren't knee jerk nationalism when everything is going amazing for Mars in the first place. Honestly makes me wonder if this is just a third parties attempt at destabilizing us.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

ChaseSP posted:

I honestly don't see any positions that aren't knee jerk nationalism when everything is going amazing for Mars in the first place. Honestly makes me wonder if this is just a third parties attempt at destabilizing us.

This is exactly the kind of poo poo we've talked about doing to the Terrans and IC, it's definitely possible.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Plan: Nuke Earth

Nuke Earth

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Plan: Nuke Earth

Nuke Earth

I mean I'm totally-not-a Mars cultist and even I think this is a hilariously bad idea

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Friend Commuter posted:

This is exactly the kind of poo poo we've talked about doing to the Terrans and IC, it's definitely possible.

Yes. And that's why I'm advocating the counteragitprop tactic instead of inviting mass acts of idiocy.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

But seriously. A nuclear device goes off killing over 50k people and you think the organization supporting this will have moderates still? gently caress any damned "moderates" still associating with them.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

ChaseSP posted:

But seriously. A nuclear device goes off killing over 50k people and you think the organization supporting this will have moderates still? gently caress any damned "moderates" still associating with them.

Exactly. So we give their moderate former associates an out, get them to grass up everyone they know about, and then the hammer comes down. I reckon Red Scare's about as good a plan as we're going to get.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The real world war on terror hasn't exactly been a boon to the proletariat.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

poo poo the war of terror was instigated by outside sources at the very least. This is, as far as we know, commited by our own citizens against future brothers in arms. An unforgivable act.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Random nuclear fireballs also aren't exactly boons to the proletariat.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The proletariat gets hosed either way. The only time they benefit is during prolonged periods of peace & stability, and that isn't an option for Mars. We've got Crabs to the left of us, Nazis to the right. Here I am...

If we go easy on them the UT will be screaming for our blood. Imagine if a ship full of Martian tourists got nuked by Earth First, how would the majority of Martians react if Putina said she was trying to negotiate with them and that the most of the people at the 'gently caress Mars' rallies weren't terrorists but just trying to get laid?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Friend Commuter posted:

Random nuclear fireballs also aren't exactly boons to the proletariat.

No, but I'm pretty sure a civil war is only going to play into our foes' hands and make things much worse.

Also I'm not sure what part of imprisoning and trying terrorists in court is "going easy on them." It's better to discredit, dismantle, and humiliate these murderers than acknowledge them with a declaration of war.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ignoring terrorists who already pulled off a significant attack due to fears of more attacks is pretty counter productive from my point of view. I understand you don't think ignoring them is a good idea but going after the offenders but leaving the organization as a whole sounds like a great way to get future attacks.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm not sure how the organization would survive after having its membership gutted. That includes going after any puppet masters.

I'm looking at you, Harris.

Declaring that these people are extra judicial targets shows that all of you in support of doing so have no faith in the systems Martians put in place when establishing a nation by and for its people, and that your claims to solidarity and brotherhood are a sham, and that our laws and governance are no better than Terra's or the IC's -- that the law merely exists to perpetuate the law.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not calling for any extra judicial actions. Simply I do not consider this any form of peaceful movement anymore that can be treated by civilian courts.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Declaring that these people are extra judicial targets shows that all of you in support of doing so have no faith in the systems Martians put in place when establishing a nation by and for its people, and that your claims to solidarity and brotherhood are a sham, and that our laws and governance are no better than Terra's or the IC's -- that the law merely exists to perpetuate the law.

Under Red Scare they only become extra judicial targets if they don't submit to a thorough debriefing by the authorities. Anybody who doesn't want to give the police any information that might prevent another attack obviously has it out for Mars.

Plus anybody that blows up people who want to become Martians can't claim to be Martian themselves anymore, so no problem with solidarity, brotherhood, etc. These people renounced their citizenship when they decided that citizenship didn't deserve to be extended to anyone else.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'll reiterate here what I said in the back channel.

If you see me say investigate, imprison, try, and sentence the murderous shitstains that killed those migrants and crewmates and see that as doing nothing, I don't understand how you're reaching that conclusion.

Unless you think Martian justice rings hollow.

In which case what is the difference between Mars and United Terra but where your citizenship papers are stored?

These are not enemy combatants. They are mass murderers. They should not be dignified with such a designation; they don't have Mars' blessing and don't deserve it. Let them and all humanity see the quality of our justice.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Frankly I just feel that the Mars First organization needs a deep and thorough investigation for any potential leaks. Like how did they get their hands on a 1MT nuclear device and snuggle it onto a freighter.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

As previously stated our terraformers on Mars got blown the hell up by IC. It's literally listed as a weakness/vulnerability for us in the OP and we've been ignoring it entirely so far.

Saros posted:

Martian Colonial Federation

"From dust to life"

*snip*

Mars Fleet must protect Mars and her precious terraforming infrastructure in orbit and on the ground as well as trying to maintain a grip on Neptune to allow the flow of fuel to Mars.

*snip*

+ Faster and more capable ships ton for ton than Earth.
+ Better Electronic warfare capabilities and Armor
+ Good stockpile of interplanetary missiles and okay Martian defense grid
+/- Fanatics
- Smaller fleet and Neptune is a [i]very
long way away
- More fragile ships, prone to explosions
- Mars surface/orbital infrastructure is extremely vulnerable and beyond priceless

When Mars First first came into being, Saros explicitly attributed the lack of focus on terraforming / loss of terraforming infrastructure as what spawned them. It's not "definitely outside agitation" and to the people living on Mars who had the terraformers of the planet they call home die in nuclear fire while we focused on jump tech, strengthening our military, and exploring the universe things probably do not think things are "going amazing for Mars in the first place".

Could Harris or someone else have taken advantage of this unrest and helped them to destabilize us? Absolutely, but the idea that it's just foreign meddling is ludicrous and completely against everything we've gotten directly from Saros's mouth.

Some of you guys are probably just having fun roleplaying hardliners and propagandists and that's perfectly fine, but it seems like this post is warranted just to make it clear :shrug:

edit: toned down this post a bit cause judging by the next few posts I'm overreacting, sorry.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 23, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I said blame it on the IC and UT to destabilize the Mars Firsters in return, not because it's necessarily true. But I do think this terrorism is very likely precipitated by the shadowy forces Harris represents. It's not a big leap for other factions to see this weakness and see Mars First form and decide to infiltrate and subvert the movement and use its name to commit heinous crimes against humanity.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mars is still actively being terraformed. You don't loving murder 50000 people over terraforming being slower than usual but still ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Rawkking posted:

This is completely wrong. As previously stated our terraformers on Mars got blown the hell up by IC. It's literally listed as a weakness/vulnerability for us in the OP and we've been ignoring it entirely so far.

When Mars First first came into being, Saros explicitly attributed the lack of focus on terraforming / loss of terraforming infrastructure as what spawned them. It's not "definitely outside agitation" and to the people living on Mars who had the terraformers of the planet they call home die in nuclear fire while we focused on jump tech, strengthening our military, and exploring the universe things probably do not think things are "going amazing for Mars in the first place".

Could Harris or someone else have taken advantage of this unrest and helped them to destabilize us? Absolutely, but the idea that it's just foreign meddling is ludicrous and completely against everything we've gotten directly from Saros's mouth.

Some of you guys are probably just having fun roleplaying hardliners and propagandists and that's perfectly fine, but it seems enough people aren't paying attention enough to warrant this post :shrug:

That's certainly how it started but that's far from saying they aren't now receiving external support.