Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

akadajet posted:

hahaha no. they went into some menu and said the battery was fine. I was pretty angry.

that sucks. an authorized service center will probably replace it for $50 or something, still cheaper than a new phone. i have been lucky with the apple store and free stuff, but it is up to the genius you get and whether they take pity on you. try making puppy dog eyes next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Apple getting a years-long PR fiasco for this secret-slowdown thing is entirely deserved and the fact that they apparently didn't see this coming is classic Apple reality-distortion-field hubris. The spirit of Steve is alive and well!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pram posted:

you aren’t even credentialed enough to disagree with the diagnosis of a genius

as an apple certified ios technician, i...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Linguica posted:

Apple getting a years-long PR fiasco for this secret-slowdown thing is entirely deserved and the fact that they apparently didn't see this coming is classic Apple reality-distortion-field hubris. The spirit of Steve is alive and well!!

yeah, it’s loving dumb

just drain the battery percentage faster and then people can go “oh yeah battery is lasting much less I should go change it, instead of the whole phone”

it’s really stupid, I mean their solution works but I can’t believe they thought it was ok

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah how terrible of them to prioritize core communications functionality of the phone working for longer and not abruptly turning off while indicating remaining charge instead of synthetic benchmark scores good point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
these people are seriously mad about their silently shrinking e-peen

never mind that it kept the phone actually usable as a phone for far longer than it otherwise would, it wasn't as fast. in a way that took the correlation of dozens of benchmarks to quantify

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

yeah, it’s loving dumb

just drain the battery percentage faster and then people can go “oh yeah battery is lasting much less I should go change it, instead of the whole phone”

it’s really stupid, I mean their solution works but I can’t believe they thought it was ok

then you get the "apple's battery meter is fake news because my 1% battery is lasting a day or two" complaint because the shutdown is mainly apparent during high voltage drain, otherwise the discharge characteristic is similar albeit @ a slightly lower voltage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if only my phone were allowed to suddenly heat up like a hand warmer and then shut off mid-use, further damaging the battery, like the good lord intended

curse you apple, why have you meddled in god's domain?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

these people are seriously mad about their silently shrinking e-peen

never mind that it kept the phone actually usable as a phone for far longer than it otherwise would, it wasn't as fast. in a way that took the correlation of dozens of benchmarks to quantify

nah the fun part about it is that most of the people who are mad about Apple slowing down the iPhone 6 are people who haven't owned an iPhone 6 in 3 years because the moment the 6s came out they jumped on it

meanwhile the 99.5% of people who would get mad about their 2-year-old phones randomly shutting off are oblivious to everything

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
they don’t make them like they used to.

*performs third battery-pull of the day on my blackberry*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

seriously, i had my old 5s for over three years, the only time it started getting annoying was at the end when the battery finally started really making GBS threads itself and the charge indicator would randomly jump around and it would die if i was out in the cold for any length of time

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe do your life cycle management, explain why and be transparent about it in order to avoid a PR circus?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe do your life cycle management, explain why and be transparent about it in order to avoid a PR circus?

that’s what I’m saying

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, sure. at the same time i'm trying to understand what part of this is lawsuit worthy. did apple misrepresent the product in some way?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s lawsuit worthy because settling for nuisance value is still a net win for the plaintiff’s lawyer

ufarn
May 30, 2009
and it's not just that "this was obvious and makes the most sense in terms of decision-making", since you often have to rely on third parties to replace your batteries in the first place. there was no help and recourse short of giving users a really lovely experience they couldn't figure out the cause of

apple don't want users to replace their batteries, they just want them to buy new devices

https://twitter.com/Padraig/status/943610771094642688

it's just amazing what gruber will defend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the battery life is pathetic (fair enough, this needs to be addressed)

the geekbench score is half what it should be (lol)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the reason any modern hardware works is because there’s a ton of software doing silent background error correction and degradation management.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually, i think you'll find it's just planned obsolescence

sure, it appears to be literally the opposite, but we know better

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 22, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I just remembered how a couple of people at work started complaining about their slow phones this year and I figured it was just the latest iOS or indexing or something

like literally typing text in a field takes a half second and it’s extremely annoying but hey it’s what happens with technology

I might look into battery replacement now, but that was a lot of troubleshooting for nothing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
my first brush with battery issues on an apple product was when i noticed my macbook air was literally expanding from the inside, since it started wobbling, and the trackpad stopped working properly

there was a "service battery" when you clicked the battery icon, apparently, but no warnings nor alerts that prompted me

even my thinkpad t500 was easier to troubleshoot, and of course replace the battery for

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ufarn posted:

my first brush with battery issues on an apple product was when i noticed my macbook air was literally expanding from the inside, since it started wobbling, and the trackpad stopped working properly

there was a "service battery" when you clicked the battery icon, apparently, but no warnings nor alerts that prompted me

even my thinkpad t500 was easier to troubleshoot, and of course replace the battery for

so your battery was literally engorging and your mac told you to service the battery and it was hard to troubleshoot what was happening?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

APRIL: Apple denies that they intentionally crippled Qualcomm LTE modems on some iPhone 7s
DECEMBER: Apple reluctantly admits that they intentionally crippled CPUs on some iPhone 7s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linguica posted:

APRIL: Apple denies that they intentionally crippled Qualcomm LTE modems on some iPhone 7s
DECEMBER: Apple reluctantly admits that they intentionally crippled CPUs on some iPhone 7s

“crippling” the cpu is usually marketed as a feature.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

as for Qualcomm if you want to see a cell modem meet its specs you need one of these https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-2372474-pn-E7515A/uxm-wireless-test-set?pm=PL&nid=-33762.1078013&cc=US&lc=eng

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the idea is sound, just like a limp mode in a car. they deserve every single word of bad PR and every penny of legal expenses for quite possibly the most user-hostile and inconsiderate implementation possible. I sincerely hope discovery turns up an email chain where someone nixes a notification because it would force them to cover battery replacements under AppleCare just to really round out the loving.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The more I think about it, it's a stupid loving idea

If I buy a laptop, I don't want it to get throttled because the battery has to last 8hours, just let me know when the battery's hosed

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Shifty Pony posted:

the idea is sound, just like a limp mode in a car. they deserve every single word of bad PR and every penny of legal expenses for quite possibly the most user-hostile and inconsiderate implementation possible. I sincerely hope discovery turns up an email chain where someone nixes a notification because it would force them to cover battery replacements under AppleCare just to really round out the loving.

What

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gruber shared this article smearing Apple Maps, which is surprising but I guess at this point it's undeniable how much better Google Maps is

https://www.justinobeirne.com/google-maps-moat

I particularly like Apple Maps placing the location of SalesForce Tower, the largest building in San Francisco, across the street

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ufarn posted:

and it's not just that "this was obvious and makes the most sense in terms of decision-making", since you often have to rely on third parties to replace your batteries in the first place. there was no help and recourse short of giving users a really lovely experience they couldn't figure out the cause of

apple don't want users to replace their batteries, they just want them to buy new devices

https://twitter.com/Padraig/status/943610771094642688

it's just amazing what gruber will defend

they want them to buy new devices. by making the devices they have last longer without unexpectedly shutting down. yes, this makes sense.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If I buy a laptop, I don't want it to get throttled because the battery has to last 8hours, just let me know when the battery's hosed

its a phone that people use for their primary means of communication even in emergencies, not a loving laptop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in this case though the battery supposedly could no longer safely supply enough current for the processor. this is possible - the internal resistance of a lithium battery increases with age http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/rising_internal_resistance

it’s odd that they didn’t notify the user about it, maybe the “don’t want to cover it under AppleCare thing is true however this should mainly happen outside the 2 year period.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
options:
1) manage the battery lifecycle and sacrifice some performance for a few more years of usability and longer battery life. bunch of nerds lose their poo poo about apple stealing their megahurts.
2) don’t manage the battery and let the device brown out when power consumption spikes, have it drain rapidly, and die mysteriously at some percentage greater than zero. everyone complains about how iPhones are unreliable, can’t hold a charge, randomly die.
3) tell customers their still functional battery is aging and needs to be replaced. everyone complains about apple forcing people into paying for upgrades or repairs to batteries that aren’t even dead yet and punishing people that don’t pay the battery tax. they probably intentionally put in batteries that wear out faster to get that sweet repair money.

there’s a correct engineering solution, which was done. the PR solution is to tell nerds to shut up because customers shouldn’t be required to pay for repairs to continue using their 3 year old phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, no one cares but the kind of rear end in a top hat who runs comparative benchmarks on their telephone

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah i got a brand new 6s plus thanks to applecare a month before i bought the x and the new 6s plus was still slow compared to the x because it is a 3 year old device. any slowdown you get on a 2-3 year old phone is probably like 5%-10% due to your battery, or some other small number

still, more transparency would be better, everyone knows lithium ion batteries wear out. my macbook pro for example tells you how many times the battery has been fully discharged. just make battery degradation visible to the user and no one will complain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Management posted:

options:
1) manage the battery lifecycle and sacrifice some performance for a few more years of usability and longer battery life. bunch of nerds lose their poo poo about apple stealing their megahurts.
2) don’t manage the battery and let the device brown out when power consumption spikes, have it drain rapidly, and die mysteriously at some percentage greater than zero. everyone complains about how iPhones are unreliable, can’t hold a charge, randomly die.
3) tell customers their still functional battery is aging and needs to be replaced. everyone complains about apple forcing people into paying for upgrades or repairs to batteries that aren’t even dead yet and punishing people that don’t pay the battery tax. they probably intentionally put in batteries that wear out faster to get that sweet repair money.

there’s a correct engineering solution, which was done. the PR solution is to tell nerds to shut up because customers shouldn’t be required to pay for repairs to continue using their 3 year old phone.

h...hey... I’m not a nerd... I’m cool...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

options:

lmao no. w/ option 3 everyone bitches that the hack jonny ives lovely design means they have to pay a lot to fix apples bad batteries.

option 4 if you had good design with a replaceable battery and told users their battery was getting old, everyone would buy battery replacements and swap them out themselves and nobody would buy new iphones.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 23, 2017

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The Management posted:

options:

they wouldn’t have to pay for battery surgery if there was just a goddamn battery door :rant: :frog:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

“shaggar was right” I guess but I’m playing DA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

imageine useing a 5+ year old iPhone