Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

what are the hot new clickers that people play now? i tired of cookie clicker and clicker heroes. im doing realm grinder and idle champions via steam. any suggestions for fun and neat ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Aurora posted:

i kind of got bored of antimatter after breaking infinity since doing anything after that just felt slow still

Yo if all of these games are boring then maybe this isn't the genre for you.

Anyways, the 2nd infinity in AD is considerably faster than the first but the first one took quite a while so depending on your expectations the second one might feel slow. They speed up noticeably for every infinity though, rapidly approaching the 10 minute mark, then 5 minutes, then 1 minute, then 10 seconds, then their frequency is only limited by how madly you can mash the buttons.
After this there is a lull where you do longer and longer runs for a while, work on challenges, etc all the while continuing to upgrade your autobuyers.
Once all you autobuyers are at 0.1 sec frequency you "break infinity" and the next set of paradigm shifts open up. You do this until e308 IP (ie infinity ip, or infinity^3) then you "eternity" which is another layer of paradigm shifts.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

Yo if all of these games are boring then maybe this isn't the genre for you.

Anyways, the 2nd infinity in AD is considerably faster than the first but the first one took quite a while so depending on your expectations the second one might feel slow. They speed up noticeably for every infinity though, rapidly approaching the 10 minute mark, then 5 minutes, then 1 minute, then 10 seconds, then their frequency is only limited by how madly you can mash the buttons.
After this there is a lull where you do longer and longer runs for a while, work on challenges, etc all the while continuing to upgrade your autobuyers.
Once all you autobuyers are at 0.1 sec frequency you "break infinity" and the next set of paradigm shifts open up. You do this until e308 IP (ie infinity ip, or infinity^3) then you "eternity" which is another layer of paradigm shifts.

they're not all boring lol, it's just that AD felt so long the first time that doing it the second time just kind of killed my motivation

for reference i've played trimps for like 2 years or whatever now and have taken huge breaks so i haven't even cleared spire 1 yet, though i still like the game a lot my interest just gets killed a lot of the time if i feel like tasks are being too repetitive.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ramadu posted:

what are the hot new clickers that people play now? i tired of cookie clicker and clicker heroes. im doing realm grinder and idle champions via steam. any suggestions for fun and neat ones?
man you've got all the good ones

the paperclip one is finite but reasonable
as is loot box or whatever it's called

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Honestly, I thought getting bored of a game was part of the cycle of idle games. Every so often I will be doing a new prestige in whatever game I'm playing and just think "wait what the gently caress this is a waste of time" and stop for a couple of weeks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

as is loot box or whatever it's called

You are thinking of the poorly named Succubox which sounds like it would be a really bad game involving succubus. It's a really fun game with an actual ending involving a parody of loot boxes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That's the one, yeah.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GrossMurpel posted:

Honestly, I thought getting bored of a game was part of the cycle of idle games. Every so often I will be doing a new prestige in whatever game I'm playing and just think "wait what the gently caress this is a waste of time" and stop for a couple of weeks.

I can't get into any of the ones that don't end. People talk up Realm Grinder like it's candybox but at the end of the day you're still just making a number get big with no real changes.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

Infinity Dimensions is fun, I think.

It got some discussion a while back as a slightly advanced version of Derivative Clicker. It doesn't have much in the way of major paradigm shifts, but the optimal strategy for maximizing gains shifts a lot, so it doesn't ever feel too boring. It also has some challenge runs that are sorta puzzles.

It got an update a while back that allows you to reset your prestige for a new type of prestige. There's a ton of content with that. For anyone that might be picking up an old save to check out the new stuff DO NOT spend your first eternity point on a time thereom. I did this by accident and it will severely lengthen the time it takes to eternity again.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I feel like I've hit a wall in NGU where nothing I spend exp on seems to advance me very far. For about a week I've been getting to the Friday boss, then slowly going backwards as I rebirth throughout the day. I've got the magitech gear about 80% upgraded but I can't yet idle HSB.

Stats:
energy speed: 50.2
energy bars: 26
energy cap: 500k
energy power 29.2

magic bar speed 22
magic bars 2
magic cap 20k
magic power 1.8

Magic is still pretty expensive to upgrade as I'm seeing ~120xp per run or so. A typical run sees me put 20k magic into the first level of blood magic, and all 500k into the time machine until I get to level 4 or so, then dumping all 500k into augments as adv. training/wandoos take way to long for a typical run. I will occasionally move 10k over to the 2nd tier of blood magic if I remember before rebirthing. Is there some strategy I'm missing here?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Throw some points into adventure stats, take out the titan that I believe you have unlocked, to do this you are going to want to run most of your energy into advanced training. Titans don't respawn, but he does drop ~4e6 gold. He doesn't have crazy high stats you only need ~2200 in power and toughness to take him out. Which isn't that bad wen you are getting nice multipliers from the advanced training.

Do several quicker runs to get more XP, magic is expensive and not super useful early on. You might also want to be shoving energy into the time machine you can probably increase your speed multiplier with as little as 100-200k in a reasonable amount of time. If it's too long (longer than 30minutes for level 1) only do it over night. It helps a ton and you'll see the advantages.

Basically you are going to gain a massive amount of power during an overnight run, especially if you can knock out Gordon before you go to bed so you get all that sweet sweet gold to come back to. It can actually be beneficial to adjust your augments when you get up and let all the gold be spent, you can probably get another boss or two down from that alone.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Ramadu posted:

Idling to Rule the Gods, hideous UI and art but has so many different things that it makes Realm Grinder look straightforward.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Oh yeah for this build i was gonna make Titans respawnable, and then reduce their exp reward a bit. y/n to that idea?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Len posted:

I can't get into any of the ones that don't end. People talk up Realm Grinder like it's candybox but at the end of the day you're still just making a number get big with no real changes.

Realm Grinder doesn't end? :(

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

AnimalChin posted:

The developer just continually adds more stuff every now and then.

To be honest the main thing that makes me value Realm Grinder over something like ItRtG is that it feels like I'm actually making some optimization choices as I go along, especially as I get into research. I've not looked at any guides for it, which makes it a lot of fun to just pore over my choices for research and trying to piece out a new build. ItRtG has some decent paradigm shifts but it's a lot more just 'make number go up' to me, since you're generally not really having to think about what you're doing at all.

I also really like all the various challenges and research requirements, forces you to think outside the box and make weird builds a lot of the time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AnimalChin posted:

I'm at the current endgame, which is about R103+

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Welp, new itrtg patch came out and it's kinda underwhelming compared what was talked about leading up to it. but it's s a thing I guess. TBS bonus will be really nice to have!

something fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 22, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, the altered rewards for the clone challenge still seem underwhelming. Any idea how long does it take to do them?

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I'mdoing one right now, with 2 hours banked 300% cs speed,and tossing godly liquids at it. looks to be at least a day, maybe 2. I'm not a fan of the 50 completion either. Past 20 feels like a slog no matter the challenge.

Edit: In other news i just uploaded a new build .315. Gutted perks, added the different challenge system, and also trying out respawnign titans.

I had an issue on FF where it kept giving me a crash and console error, but chrome was fine. It might just be me on my end as a user. if anyone else also gets a crash, please let me know!

something fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 22, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I feel like irtrg would be more fun in endgame if I could script the whole process.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
In my opinion, the fun in the super late game has been trying for the top time of the high scores, and of course, chasing that elusive Black Hole speedrun. At this point in the game the extra gp/hour isnt even that beneficial, it's more for the achievement itself.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

something posted:

Oh yeah for this build i was gonna make Titans respawnable, and then reduce their exp reward a bit. y/n to that idea?

Are you still trying to make 1 hour runs the best progression? Speedruns are really buffed between -120xp for titan kills, 24 hour challenge bonus, and the greatly reduced cost for blood magic (meaning fewer time machine levels needed to support production).

Boost conversion doesn't seem to work, is it functional? (Or maybe it didn't pick up that I already have 100 levels challenges done in the savegame?)

In general, I think the blood magic gold cost reductions make the game a lot more boring (at least for me). The whole 'slight increase in magic efficiency vs. significant decrease in gold efficiency' is now just 'what's the highest tier of blood magic I have unlocked and have magic power to complete in the run time').

ITRTG: Am I missing something or could a new player jump into a UBC after the first Baal kill (maybe get a planet first for clone killing) and then... not actually kill Baal, just build up to early speedruns inside the challenge for a while (getting refunded all the GP spent on divinity boosts when they finally complete it)?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I guess you could, but it only saves you one GP per run and after you finish that UBC I doubt going back and doing it again would ever be worth it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

something posted:

Considering Titan Loot Filter toggle still doesn't work and I keep losing items to it, yes please. *refreshes game*
... cool my save is gone. :/

Edit: Boy am I lucky I mis-clicked and hit the save button last night and didn't delete the file automatically downloaded!
Edit 2: My stat boost for rich jerks got reset. :(
Edit 3: Welp, may as well warn people.

:siren:IF YOU'RE READING THIS, MANUALLY SAVE YOUR NGU GAME NOW!:siren:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 22, 2017

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
oh loving hell mine is gone too and my most recent save is like a week old

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Did the latest patch eat your saves? I don't understand. Of course this happens the day I leave for the holidays and cant fix it.

Ohhhh, I think i know what happened. I just recently found out that the way i was organizing my files to submit to kong's site, and the way i connected to their API, was based on a super outdated guide and i found the "proper" way to do it. I suspect this change also shuffled around where the local save is saved and so it's lost it. I'm very, very sorry to those who may have lost/had to revert to an older save. Once the game gets going publicly I'm definitely gonna try to get online saves going.

Edit: At least I can finally make titan loot filter work before i go holidaying. New build is up for that.

something fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 22, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DaveKap posted:

[Auto Save doesn't carry to the new version]

Edit 2: My stat boost for rich jerks got reset. :(
Edit 3: Welp, may as well warn people.

:siren:IF YOU'RE READING THIS, MANUALLY SAVE YOUR NGU GAME NOW!:siren:

Your jerk stats are fine, the EXP screen doesn't update a section until you spend XP after manually loading, this is a known bug. Press quick save refresh the page and you will have the correct stats displayed. It is a display bug only and it's been reported a few times.

The save being eaten is a real thing so manually save. It's a good idea to do that in any idle game that offers it especially during beta. I have a habit of clicking save then quick save at the end of each session or before I reload to reduce RAM usage.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 22, 2017

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
It's really all my fault. On the build last night I had constant console errors on firefox and it wouldn't load. I panicked, googling a million causes and somehow got it into my head that the way i had set up the files I upload to Kong were done "wrong", so i changed it. That upload is what i think caused the save loss, and to boot i was still getting crashes on firefox. My FF crash issues seems to have randomly resolved itself today, so I'm reverting everything back. so hopefully anyone who just never refeshed or loaded NGU in the last 24-ish hours will miss the entire garbage fire I self-caused.

I need a drink and it's 9:03 AM.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

It's really all my fault. On the build last night I had constant console errors on firefox and it wouldn't load. I panicked, googling a million causes and somehow got it into my head that the way i had set up the files I upload to Kong were done "wrong", so i changed it. That upload is what i think caused the save loss, and to boot i was still getting crashes on firefox. My FF crash issues seems to have randomly resolved itself today, so I'm reverting everything back. so hopefully anyone who just never refeshed or loaded NGU in the last 24-ish hours will miss the entire garbage fire I self-caused.

I think that worked, I did a manual save refreshed and was at my old save. I then loaded my save from the "bad build" and it seems to be working fine. Enjoy the holidays. Live and learn, don't push a build out without time to fix it if stuff goes wrong. It's why many IT departments have no change Fridays.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Thanks for the sage advice, and merry non denominational holiday!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

something posted:

Thanks for the sage advice, and merry non denominational holiday!
Same to you, dude! You're making something fun in the idle genre, you deserve a break! :)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

something posted:

I'd say it's time to write some sort of validation test for saves somehow but it seems like overkill and I'm not even sure how you'd do it. I've also been drinking so this might not be the best advice.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
What level of significance to randomness do you all find acceptable in these sorts of games?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

RVWinkle posted:

Tap Titans 2 dropped another update this week and it was another big one. The devs have been super active recently and they decided to cap off the year with the usual Christmas stuff along with a one year anniversary celebration. There's new gear, an extra 1000 stages, new artifacts, and a whole new ascension mechanic that stacks on top preexisting hero evolution. The goon clan has plenty of space if anyone wants to check it out. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801833

They just dropped another huge content bomb in TT2. This time they added equipment set bonuses and crafting along with a new shop. I get the feeling that the blisters on my tappin finger are never going to heal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RVWinkle posted:

They just dropped another huge content bomb in TT2. This time they added equipment set bonuses and crafting along with a new shop. I get the feeling that the blisters on my tappin finger are never going to heal.

Is there a reason it tells me I can't pick up equipment because a titan interrupted me?

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

What level of significance to randomness do you all find acceptable in these sorts of games?

I dunno, there should be a few random elements otherwise everything will be straightforward and boring af.

But like in ItRtG, my 4th or 5th "free ticket" gave me a pet token, which allowed me to buy that stupid Robot pet, which gives you upwards of a 10,000% bonus to all your stats.

This was really cool, but it got me thinking, what about the people who don't get a free pet (until way the gently caress later). I now have a 100x bonus over all of them "just because".

Also, this is slightly related, but I have a nagging suspicion that you're more likely to get a free pet token early on to incentivize you to spend rl cash on the game. Maybe ItRtG doesn't do this, but I'm absolutely certain all the dog poo poo mobile idle games pull this kind of poo poo non stop...

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Is there a reason it tells me I can't pick up equipment because a titan interrupted me?

That's their silly way of saying there's an issue with communicating with the server. In the past they've had issues with this but it's been pretty stable on the server side for quite a while.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

How much RNG:

It depends on the game. A heavily random one is fun to watch, a game with tons of things to customize set and figure out without any RNG is also fun. It can be fun to try something let it run for a few hours days or weeks then tweak it.

The less RNG the less obvious the correct build should be. Both should have stats buffs and modifiers as clearly spelled out as possible so time isn't wasted figuring out what haste is.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
To the people asking about new idlers, and ones that end: Loot Box Quest came out on Steam recently. It costs a dollar, but it has an ending and several paradigm shifts. Just started and finished it today, and I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Virigoth posted:

I'd say it's time to write some sort of validation test for saves somehow but it seems like overkill and I'm not even sure how you'd do it. I've also been drinking so this might not be the best advice.

I already do save validation for the save itself. The isue in this case was the location jumped ship cause of the way i had uploaded it to kong. No real control over that