Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

having an easily replaceable battery would reduce capacity by like 2/3. the phone being almost all battery was the innovation behind the original iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

option 4 if you had good design with a replaceable battery and told users their battery was getting old, everyone would buy battery replacements and swap them out themselves and nobody would buy new iphones.

shaggar was right

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

having an easily replaceable battery would reduce capacity by like 2/3. the phone being almost all battery was the innovation behind the original iPhone

no, the innovation was the ui and touch screen. the battery design might have been a compromise then, but there's no reason to keep it other than coercing users to buy new and fill up the landfills with the old.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Alternate reality 2008:

ah yes this iPhone is amazing. the battery seamlessly merges with the back of the case. excellent web browser function. my penis has grown 3 inches. *phone dies in 2 hours*

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
shut up, nerds

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah just buy a battery case already

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

shaggar was right

shaggar knows dick-all about industrial design. to make the battery user replaceable the phone has to be bigger or the battery smaller

if you're used to some brick-looking piece of poo poo like the lumia 940 this probably sounds like a reasonable option

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Yeah just buy a battery case already

lmao.

this was the moment i knew for sure timb was going to destroy apple

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

shaggar knows dick-all about industrial design. to make the battery user replaceable the phone has to be bigger or the battery smaller

if you're used to some brick-looking piece of poo poo like the lumia 940 this probably sounds like a reasonable option
The phones are too loving thin anyway who cares

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fabricated posted:

The phones are too loving thin anyway who cares

:wrong:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

a few mm isn't going to kill anyone and I don't really give a poo poo what that hack jonny ives thinks about design. hes never made something that's worked.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

imageine useing a 5+ year old iPhone

my iphone 5s is like 4 years old, runs the latest ios... and I dont have issues with apps

wtf apple?

Shaggar posted:

a few mm isn't going to kill anyone and I don't really give a poo poo what that hack jonny ives thinks about design. hes never made something that's worked.
aspple makes like a cool million phones a day

at 2 extra millimters per phones thats an extra 2 kilomters of phones every day! the worls isn't big enough for 700km EXTRA phones every year

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
nah i am fine with not having a removable battery, as long as it lasts ~2 years and i can get it replaced for 50-100 bucks.

external battery packs work fine and i have one big enough to charge my laptop while i am traveling, i don't need replaceable batteries or battery cases.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

just make an info panel like this for your phone and no one will care

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

counterpoint: no one cares now, so why make the panel?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

i hope you like getting 20 people a day asking for a free battery replacement because theirs has negative amperage so it must be broken

just add a third state to wherever the "please replace battery" prompt shows up:
- healthy
- degraded performance
- needs service

poty fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 23, 2017

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my MIL's 2-year-old iphone 6 started shutting off randomly and holding like 45 min of charge and only then did the message pop up saying the battery needed service. who even knows how long it had been hiding this by throttling the phone before giving up and admitting defeat. thanks tim for hiding the problem until it rendered the phone completely unusable

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my MIL's 2-year-old iphone 6 started shutting off randomly and holding like 45 min of charge and only then did the message pop up saying the battery needed service. who even knows how long it had been hiding this by throttling the phone before giving up and admitting defeat. thanks tim for hiding the problem until it rendered the phone completely unusable

actually, this is better than notifying the user earlier, because otherwise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

counterpoint: no one cares now, so why make the panel?

this entire mess is because people do care

altho the way people make it sound is as if it’s massive slowdown

poty posted:

i hope you like getting 20 people a day asking for a free battery replacement because theirs has negative amperage so it must be broken

just add a third state to wherever the "please replace battery" prompt shows up:
- healthy
- degraded performance
- needs service

there seems to be discrepancies

tales of people at 83% health, 30% slowdown but apple saying at the bar that the battery is green and doesn’t need to be replaced. now that’s an issue [if true]

they should maybe make the battery easier to replace, while not making it easily user serviceable

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
most people didn’t care until someone made a big deal about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most people do care but apple employees have been telling people the phone was just old and they needed a new one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

this entire mess is because people do care

this "entire mess" is some xda forums ricers wailing about their epeen

absolutely no one who isn't a massive waste of oxygen has ever even heard of geekbench, let alone run it, correlated the scores, and then gotten mad about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's pretty much exactly how the phone would behave if lifecycle management weren't enabled

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

that's pretty much exactly how the phone would behave if lifecycle management weren't enabled

wouldn't it be a slow decline in battery life at first? my point is that if they told the user as soon as "lifecycle management" becomes necessary then the user could have the battery replaced before it gets to the point where the phone is unusable b/c it only holds 45 min of charge. why hide it from the user until it completely shits the bed?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

wouldn't it be a slow decline in battery life at first? my point is that if they told the user as soon as "lifecycle management" becomes necessary then the user could have the battery replaced before it gets to the point where the phone is unusable b/c it only holds 45 min of charge. why hide it from the user until it completely shits the bed?

something to do with the apple philosophy of the user never loving with their phone probably

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it might be, but not necessarily, it depends on how the battery degrades. you can get big voltage drops under high load, which will cause the phone to freeze or shut off

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

something to do with the apple philosophy of the user never loving with their phone probably

or the apple philosophy of "make it last past the AppleCare+ warranty period then who gives a gently caress buy a new device loser"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you have to admit that's still better than the android philosophy of "don't offer a warranty, what are you nuts? this thing was poo poo when we built it, it's not going to last two years"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tim probably wakes up each morning an recites a mantra of "I will never let another upgrade killer like the unibody and retina mbps happen again"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

you have to admit that's still better than the android philosophy of "don't offer a warranty, what are you nuts? this thing was poo poo when we built it, it's not going to last two years"

I mean, yes. but "better than android" is not exactly a high bar to clear.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the problem i think is that, of course it could be better, but like, half the criticism comes from people who seem to actively prefer android

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

true, but also by default means you're "best in class" and "industry leading"

apple, not particularly good, but technically the best

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Of course Apple phones and laptops are increasingly becoming seamless orbs in the pursuit of thin-n-light, and the iMac Pro is kind of a special case since it's using an existing enclosure and no one really expects to be upgrading all-in ones, but if the 2018 Mac Pro is significantly user-upgradeable is the real bellwether for if Apple's plan is just to squeeze every last drop of blood from every stone forever

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

it might be, but not necessarily, it depends on how the battery degrades. you can get big voltage drops under high load, which will cause the phone to freeze or shut off

either way, there's no reason not to warn the user when the battery is on its way out if you're already checking for this condition. they offer a convenient battery swap in-store, they should tell ppl when they need it

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

absolutely no one who isn't a massive waste of oxygen has ever even heard of geekbench, let alone run it, correlated the scores, and then gotten mad about it

can I be the guy who wails about the guy who wails about the guy wailing about his slow phone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my children saw it on the new zealand national news and told me my iphone is getting slow. realise this : that’s all they know about iphones now, that they get slow

who knows how long it’ll be before it becomes old news but right now everyone is hearing about (whether or not they care idk)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

either way, there's no reason not to warn the user when the battery is on its way out if you're already checking for this condition. they offer a convenient battery swap in-store, they should tell ppl when they need it

exactly. they should make it easier and quicker for someone to replace it (not user replaceable) and just have the world accept that batteries wear our way before the rest of the phone does

also you’re ignorant as gently caress if you also don’t realise there is definitely an aspect of planned obsolescence in the sense that they definitely put more resources into getting people to buy new phones over maintaining old ones. end of the day apple are in the business of making money thru selling the best products, and fixing old products doesn’t mesh well with that

who knows is the world reaching a point where phones are just good enough to not replace all the time? i’m virtually never annoyed at my 4 year old 5s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

my children saw it on the new zealand national news and told me my iphone is getting slow. realise this : that’s all they know about iphones now, that they get slow

who knows how long it’ll be before it becomes old news but right now everyone is hearing about (whether or not they care idk)

well, tbf, your 4-year-old iphone is probably getting slow. that is 100% correct

and also, tbf, your 4-year-old iphone still runs without making GBS threads itself every time the cpu ramps up for something because it doesn't over drain the battery

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmbo

a pack of raging morons v. apple posted:

1. BREACH OF IMPLIED CONTRACT
2. TRESPASS TO CHATTEL

NATURE OF THE ACTION
1.Plaintiffs and Class Members have owned iPhone 7, and iPhone 7s,
or have owned older iPhone models for the past years.

2. Plaintiffs and Class Members have notice that their older iPhone
models slows down when new models come out.

3. On December 20, 2017, Defendant admitted to purposefully
slowing down older iPhone models.

4. Plaintiffs and Class Members never consented to allow Defendants to slow their iPhones.

5. As a result of Defendant’s wrongful actions, Plaintiffs and Class Members had their phone slowed down, and thereby it interfered with Plaintiffs’ and Class Members’ use or possession of their iPhones, Plaintiffs and Class Members have otherwise suffered damages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
the lifecycle management sounds cool and good to me, it seems like the best way for a device with technical constraints and trade offs like batter chemistry should degrade. but apple’s pr department should have been prepared for this. seems like they get caught in these “good design decision has downsides?!” news cycle a lot