Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty on board with the general consensus that it was good, if not great. I have a feeling it's going to be one that will grow on me the more I reflect on it, though.

I kind of see what they were trying for with the First Doctor being a casual sexist, and Twelve's scandalized reactions to same, but it wasn't comedic enough to be played for laughs very well (though the scenes involving Bill were pretty funny) and it wasn't serious enough to make any real point. Besides, it's not really the First Doctor's era that springs to mind when I think of the show's past troubles with sexism.*

Otherwise, I did like Bradley's portrayal even if it wasn't Hartnell's portrayal (and how could it have been). His fear of his future (particularly the skewed version the Testimony showed him) being alleviated by seeing his future self just casually saving someone's life by taking advantage of a historical miracle was wonderfully understated. (And the theme of doing a bit of temporary good in an impossibly, overwhelmingly hostile and evil universe being a potent act is pretty much what I watch this show for.)

And Capaldi. Goddamn am I going to miss his Doctor. And in a break from thread consensus (OH NO) I actually liked his admonitions for the next Doctor, and didn't think they were rambling at all.

Mark Gatiss was fine. I agree that his role probably pretty much existed so that Mark Gatiss could be in it for what may well be the last time. (Heh, I also briefly thought the German soldier in the trench was played by Steve Pemberton so I was super hoping that Reese Shearsmith would turn up in a cameo too so we could have the full League of Gentlemen reunion. Which, you know, he did play Patrick Troughton in An Adventure In Space and Time...eh, never mind)

Loved seeing Bill back, and actually playing a significant role in the thing. Seeing Nardole again too was great. I wish there'd been an appearance or at least an acknowledgement of Missy.

My only complaint about Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor is that now I have to wait til "late 2018" to see more of her.
___
*This is not a Steven Moffat dig. This is a Terrance Dicks dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I did like the little "oh, that's why 1 doesn't look exactly like Hartnell" line

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just noticed on a rewatch that they used the theme from Heaven Sent instead of the normal Twelfth Doctor theme for his regeneration
I'm gonna miss Murray Gold

Cleretic posted:

The way she says it is so good, this is looking like she's the first Doctor who's just loving on board with this new regeneration. No confusion or complaining, she takes in that new face and is just as up for it as the rest of us.

she's so excited her fists are balled up too :3: loved it

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

The Unfetered One posted:

She-Doc never crashed the TARDIS though. If you watch it again the TARDIS ejected her.. maybe even rejected her?

It'd be kind of awesome if they actually did this as a storyline and nod/middle finger to the "Doctors can't have tits" brigade.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I also loved the little tribute to John Hurt. "Doctor of War" and when they're showing 1 his future, the last sphere you see is John Hurt

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mameluke posted:

I am excited by the prospect of Chibnall throwing a bunch of atypical poo poo at us to pull the show's popular narrative away from "is woman doctor bad or good" so I hope 13 being separated from the TARDIS is a thing for more than just her premiere

Doctor is forced to assume another identity as Liz Shaw, ends up forced to work for a patronizing Time Lord for a year.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the first time 13 tries to explain that her name is Doctor John Smith.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

I do hope in the future they're not afraid to cast other actors as earlier doctors. I'd love see the 2nd or 3rd show up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I predict that, if Chibnall gets to be showrunner for two doctors, we'll have a Troughton-esque Whittaker, and then 14 will have a flamboyant Pertwee-ish vibe, at least to the same extent that Capaldi shares more traits with 1 than any others shares with 1. And then each one will have one multidoc special with his/her forebear as Capaldi did.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

This just in - Doctor Who fans in disagreement, film at eleven.

It's at 10! :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Putting the TARDIS in flight through the time vortex helps ease the Regeneration process.

My pet theory is that the regeneration energy gets more devastating the more times it happens, and around 18 it's just going to be a huge atomic blast that levels cities.

Narsham posted:

Doctor is forced to assume another identity as Liz Shaw, ends up forced to work for a patronizing Time Lord for a year.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the first time 13 tries to explain that her name is Doctor John Smith.

While I'm pretty sure she'll introduced herself as Jane Smith it will still be really funny if she kept it and didn't understand what the big deal was at first. Jeanne Smith :haw:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

"It's not an evil plan...I don't know what to do when it's not an evil plan."

Really enjoyed that. I just wish they didn't have this one off, and now we have to wait again for 13's first real episode.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

"It's not an evil plan...I don't know what to do when it's not an evil plan."

Really enjoyed that. I just wish they didn't have this one off, and now we have to wait again for 13's first real episode.

I didn't like this, I'm not sure I would want some people copying my memories without my consent.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

socialsecurity posted:

I didn't like this, I'm not sure I would want some people copying my memories without my consent.

Well it sure is better than the last time Moffat went into, "What happens when we die." Getting captured, put into a weird after life (so long as you're not cremated, where you can apparently feel your body being burned?), made into a Cyberman.

...I really didn't like 12's first season finale. Like, the general concept was loving disturbing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

socialsecurity posted:

well, the episode barely addresses the topic of a copy not accepting their existence via the lens of the Doctor being standoff-ish to Bill, but I highly recommend the game SOMA for a more expansive exploration of said concept.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thrawn527 posted:

Well it sure is better than the last time Moffat went into, "What happens when we die." Getting captured, put into a weird after life (so long as you're not cremated, where you can apparently feel your body being burned?), made into a Cyberman.

"Getting stuffed into the Matrix and then a Cyberman by The Master" wasn't on my list of expected afterlifes, that's for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

While I'm pretty sure she'll introduced herself as Jane Smith it will still be really funny if she kept it and didn't understand what the big deal was at first. Jeanne Smith :haw:

I feel like they'll have her use an old companion's name if she needs an alias. Hell, even have her use Jamie McCrimmon again. Or whatever Jessica Hynes' character was called in Family Of Blood.

Davros1 posted:

I wonder if the transition was like the David/Matt and RTD/Moff one in End of Time where the moment the new Doctor arrived, everything was written by the new show runner.

The reviewer at the AV Club made what I thought was a good point, that the speech before the regeneration played like Moffat's version of the note in the Oval Office desk, like his advice to Chibnall on how to treat the character.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We'll probably just have a low effort exchange like this:

Person: "Oh, and you're a doctor? Doctor Who?"
13: "Doctor Smith... uh John Smith." [13 makes a "whoops," cringe expression]
Person: "Well Dr. Joan Smith, I'm quite pleased to make your acquaintance"
[13 makes a "that was close" expression as Person turns his/her back]

And unless I'm horribly mistaken (not being entirely in tune with regional accents in the British isles), the Yorkshire accent might help that play out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like they'll have her use an old companion's name if she needs an alias. Hell, even have her use Jamie McCrimmon again. Or whatever Jessica Hynes' character was called in Family Of Blood.

The reviewer at the AV Club made what I thought was a good point, that the speech before the regeneration played like Moffat's version of the note in the Oval Office desk, like his advice to Chibnall on how to treat the character.

What's also interesting is that Moffat had originally penciled in the regeneration to happen at the end of The Doctor Falls, with Chibs and Jodie making their debut with the X-Mas special. But because of Broadchurch, there was no way Chibs could do it, so Moffat pushed the regeneration back, because he knew that if Doctor Who skipped this X-Mas, there was a good chance that the show might not get another X-Mas special again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How long until we get a real episode with 13 in it?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

CommonShore posted:

We'll probably just have a low effort exchange like this:

Person: "Oh, and you're a doctor? Doctor Who?"
13: "Doctor Smith... uh John Smith." [13 makes a "whoops," cringe expression]
Person: "Well Dr. Joan Smith, I'm quite pleased to make your acquaintance"
[13 makes a "that was close" expression as Person turns his/her back]

And unless I'm horribly mistaken (not being entirely in tune with regional accents in the British isles), the Yorkshire accent might help that play out.

Yeah speaking of is there any way to inoculate myself to that horrible accent in the next year or so, short of stabbing my eardrums out

twistedmentat posted:

How long until we get a real episode with 13 in it?

fall 18 I believe

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah speaking of is there any way to inoculate myself to that horrible accent in the next year or so, short of stabbing my eardrums out

Imagine I photoshopped Sonic Shades onto Thirteen with the caption "Deal With It." :smugdog:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Imagine I photoshopped Sonic Shades onto Thirteen with the caption "Deal With It." :smugdog:

lol, that's fair

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Timby posted:

Chibnall wrote Whittaker's scene, yes.

I'm watching an interview with The Moff now where he's asked why the TARDIS blows up and says "Because Chris told me to. He's the boss now."

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can stop being wrong, that might help :mad:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I'm watching an interview with The Moff now where he's asked why the TARDIS blows up and says "Because Chris told me to. He's the boss now."

I remember from RTD's "The Writer's Tale" where he published a email from Moff asking to make sure Ten is wearing his tie when he regenerates, because he needs it for a gag he's writing. Then Moff added "You going to tell me he saves the universe by blowing up his tie, aren't you?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

Well, if you dislike it that much, the best I can suggest is to repeat to yourself, "At least she's not from Belfast."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

thrawn527 posted:

...I really didn't like 12's first season finale. Like, the general concept was loving disturbing.

The burning thing was a lie. In a bizzare twist, missy lied to people to get what she wantsd

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The burning thing was a lie. In a bizzare twist, missy lied to people to get what she wantsd

The Master.... used deception... in her evil plot?! :aaa:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Oh, sure, I'm just saying, when it's mentioned, it's really disturbing, and probably shouldn't have been mentioned at all.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Enjoyable episode, if a bit rambling. They were just kind of stumbling around a glorified quarry for most of the runtime. I guess that's tradition by now. While the whole Christmas plot twist was transparent as hell, it still worked for me.

It's also nice that we can now alternate between discussing how Hartnell's Doctor wasn't terribly sexist and how Doctor Who fans are annoyingly sexist on twitter.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, sure, I'm just saying, when it's mentioned, it's really disturbing, and probably shouldn't have been mentioned at all.

Yeah, both concepts, the one from this episode and the one from series 8, are utterly disturbing. I'd love to see the concepts explored in a future episode, though. They're just kind of casually brushed aside when Moffat writes about them.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Gaz-L posted:

It was also a nod back to Terrance Dicks' famous description of the Doctor in "The Making Of Doctor Who" all those years ago.

"Much has changed about the Doctor over the years, but… he is still impulsive, idealistic, ready to risk his life for a worthy cause. He still hates tyranny and oppression, and anything that is anti-life. He never gives in, and he never gives up, however overwhelming the odds against him. The Doctor believes in good and fights evil. Though often caught up in violent situations, he is a man of peace. He is never cruel or cowardly. In fact, to put it simply, the Doctor is a hero. These days there aren’t so many of them around…"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maelstache posted:

It was also a nod back to Terrance Dicks' famous description of the Doctor in "The Making Of Doctor Who" all those years ago.

He never gives in, and he never gives up ... He is never cruel or cowardly.

That also gets repeated in The Day of the Doctor, when Clara asks what the promise was that the Doctor made when he chose his name. Ten says "Never cruel or cowardly," to which War continues, "Never give up, never give in."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maelstache posted:

He still hates tyranny and oppression, and anything that is anti-life.

Never knew I needed a New Gods/Doctor Who crossover before this.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Outside of Gatiss, the old control room, and Whitaker that was pretty poo poo. The antagonists were needlessly confrontational, the First Doctor was a sexist punchline and all of the big speeches were felt like retreads. "One more lifetime won't kill anyone...except me" would have been great but it was surrounded by waffle.

This is pretty much my take on it too, although I'm so sick of seeing Gatiss that I'm not prepared to include him in the 'good' column, even though he was perfectly fine. I really, really wish the First Doctor wasn't in this. Bradley's version is nothing like Hartnell, and the 'lol grandad is sexist' parts were appalling. The one part with One that I did like was when he explained his motivation for running away to Bill. It was exactly the right mixture of slightly aloof and cold scientific curiosity and tentative moral awakening. Playing up the inherent whiff of superiority in essentially saying 'I wanted to see why you primitives try to be moral when the outside universe is so clearly merciless' would've done a much better job than the bullshit sexism.

Other than that, Whitaker smashed it. Just the way her face slowly turned from astonishment to glee was so goddamn Doctor-y, and it reminded me of Smith's first scene (surrounding explosions notwithstanding). Also, I didn't realise she was keeping her Yorkshire accent. For purely personal reasons, that set my heart aflutter.

Anyway, what's up DW thread, been awhile. Here are my other general thoughts - the new 10th Doctor adventures reminded me how much I hate Tennant's Doctor, and Big Finish in general has become very formulaic and unadventurous. Which is a shame.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ah get the gently caress out :jerkbag:

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 26, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I remember Troughton's Doctor being sexist at the beginning. "Go make the tea, Polly"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

I remember Troughton's Doctor being sexist at the beginning. "Go make the tea, Polly"

The First Doctor did that as well, but only when Richard Hurndall was playing him.

("I sometimes used to get a bit tetchy; fortunately one mellows with age.")

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

I'm sure we got a 'Polly, put the kettle on' gag at some point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

fall 18 I believe

There's a decent TV series set there called All Creatures Great and Small that's probably worth watching. It's all on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I haven't regularly watched Doctor Who since Series 8's end, how has the show held up since then and how was this episode?

• Locked thread