Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that in Ancient roman times that it wasn't an insult to gently caress dudes as long as you were the one that did the loving. Could be a similar case here.

Calling someone gay was one of the biggest insults in the norse culture and something that could cost you your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bit of a lull in the thread, still couple of days until new episode, so i was wondering if we still have some Deadwood people ITT for something offtopic? The slang/dialect of the old west has me really confused on a plotpoint and i don't want to google cause i'll find like 10+ year old spoilers.

I'm at the last episode of season one and i can't understand: Why is Sveringer so eager and HAPPY to have Montana be sheriff? He could control the previous guy i imagine, Montana he doesn't like and is honorable to the point of mental illness.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Al loving hates the Pinkertons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Al wants Deadwood to be a real town with respectable and experienced people in leadership positions so that the loving cocksucking government doesn't come in and gently caress everything up when they come in to annex the whole thing.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 26, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Cocksuckers!!!!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I decided to rewatch from the beginning in between episodes. I’m astounded by what I missed my first time through, like in S2 when Ragnar shows Bjorn a coin from England before Rollo’s judgment, and when the Law Giver lets Rollo live, he walks away with that same coin. Such an important part of why Rollo got to live and I completely missed that before.

The show is still pretty entertaining even on the second watch.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh and one of my favorite Floki moments in S3, his melancholia over being a happy family with a wife who is so horribly good.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lagertha is the Sting of our times. Everyone betrays her and she continues to trust new people. I’m just waiting for Ric Flair to show up and stab her in the back.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo, even Edge betrayed Lagertha!

You think you know him. You think you know him. You think you know him.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, even Edge betrayed Lagertha!

You think you know him. You think you know him. You think you know him.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw Edge there :haw:

Also yeah having Bullock as law in Deadwood keeps the lovely US government from loving up everyone's claims and lives because they didn't have anything resembling order and poo poo so it's like oh well poo poo it's not Indian land out here I guess we can't treat you like rogue Sioux and murder you to bits after all

I kinda hoped the captain Astrid was talking to would be a decent dude and not go with the obvious "but more :heysexy:" poo poo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Well that whole Mediterranean trip was kinda dumb and pointless.

I guess Hirst has too much budget and not enough story.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Constant posted:

Well that whole Mediterranean trip was kinda dumb and pointless.

I guess Hirst has too much budget and not enough story.

They still have to hit up Italy.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It'd be nice if Hirst could commit to the Mediterranean side of the story finally.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Viridiant posted:

It'd be nice if Hirst could commit to the Mediterranean side of the story finally.

Yeah, that was super disappointing. One scene they are fleeing across the desert and i'm going "woah, this will be interesting!", then the next time we see them they are in Kattegat :sad:

Bishop Hegmund and Ivar were interesting this episode, but other than that i was kinda bored.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah what the hell is going on with Bjorn's story? They just abandoned it because they want him in Kattegat?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah what the hell is going on with Bjorn's story? They just abandoned it because they want him in Kattegat?

Seems like it yeah.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Catching up on this now, looking good so far. Is there a thread for Knightfall?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

-Blackadder- posted:

Catching up on this now, looking good so far. Is there a thread for Knightfall?

Nope! I'll probably start watching it in a couple of days and if i like it (discover things i have questions about) i might make a thread about it.

Anyone can just go ahead and make a thread tho, a tv-show thread doesn't have to be a big chore. Knightfall - Season 1 "dumb quote", bare minimums op with pictures of the main characters and info about where you can watch it. Nobody reads the op anyway.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched the first episode of Knightfall and it will be my last

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah has it gotten better the last few episodes? Watched the first and it was very meh

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So what do these Saami bring to the table? Reindeer cavalry?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

Hawt daughters duh :pervert:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So did anyone else think that Knightfall ad gave a shitload of plot away, or?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I want Ubbe's girl to die. gently caress her lizard tongue.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dalael posted:

I want Ubbe's girl to die. gently caress her lizard tongue.

Yeah also something about her face looks weird. Like, I dunno what it is, but something somewhere on there is off in proportion and it sets a bell off. It's killing me.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I don't even care that the timelines are all fucky, Eyvind Lambi and Kettil Flatnose on a boat with Floki Three-Ravens is pretty cool.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Dvsilverwing posted:

Yeah also something about her face looks weird. Like, I dunno what it is, but something somewhere on there is off in proportion and it sets a bell off. It's killing me.

Yeah I noticed that. I can't quite pinpoint it, but there's definitely something offsetting about her. She's still a good looking girl tho, but i want her character dead. Lagertha's given her freedom and something like 3 chances to stop her plotting? Especially that time she caught her, "I didn't know you were listening"

Like it loving matters!!!!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

jfood posted:

I don't even care that the timelines are all fucky, Eyvind Lambi and Kettil Flatnose on a boat with Floki Three-Ravens is pretty cool.

So these 2 are real historical figures?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Dalael posted:

I thought basically every "named" character was supposed to be at least roughly based on some historical figure? I know details and timelines are all sorts of iffy in this show but I thought History were still making somewhat of an effort to not just be making "Game of Thrones in Scandinavia".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I really like what they are doing with Ubbe. In his mannerisms, apperance and speech he means/they write him to appear to be Ragnar. But it's all a lie. He seems to be weak, stupid and easily manipulated, nothing like the great cunning warlord that was his father.

It's just extremely interesting to me to watch his character unfold and wonder if he will realise it himself and grow or be swallowed whole, or if he has even me fooled.

Athelsten's son (Alfred?) is shaping up to be really loving cool. Did someone say that he historically becomes a king? English history before 1600 is pretty unknown to me.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Dongattack posted:

I really like what they are doing with Ubbe. In his mannerisms, apperance and speech he means/they write him to appear to be Ragnar. But it's all a lie. He seems to be weak, stupid and easily manipulated, nothing like the great cunning warlord that was his father.

It's just extremely interesting to me to watch his character unfold and wonder if he will realise it himself and grow or be swallowed whole, or if he has even me fooled.

Athelsten's son (Alfred?) is shaping up to be really loving cool. Did someone say that he historically becomes a king? English history before 1600 is pretty unknown to me.

Alfred the Great

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_the_Great

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

:aaaaa:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Dalael posted:

Maybe, sorta kinda. All three actually. Floki Three-Ravens discovered Iceland, possibly. Kettil Flatnose supposedly carved a kingdom out of Argyll in Scotland, the Isle of Mann and most of south-east Ireland from around the Dublin area and along the coast. Could have been father in law to Olafr the White and grand-dad of Thorsteinn the Red, both also cool dudes. Eyvind could have been an amazing poet and singer who spent most of his life sticking his finger in King Haraldr's eye, until the King eventually had him murdered.

Real? No clue, but they're part of history none the less.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dongattack posted:

The scene with the priest was interesting and I love how he basically told the priest that its time for them to give up Latin and adapt.

jfood posted:

Maybe, sorta kinda. All three actually. Floki Three-Ravens discovered Iceland, possibly. Kettil Flatnose supposedly carved a kingdom out of Argyll in Scotland, the Isle of Mann and most of south-east Ireland from around the Dublin area and along the coast. Could have been father in law to Olafr the White and grand-dad of Thorsteinn the Red, both also cool dudes. Eyvind could have been an amazing poet and singer who spent most of his life sticking his finger in King Haraldr's eye, until the King eventually had him murdered.

Real? No clue, but they're part of history none the less.

So its possible that they're either myths, or real historical figures. That's cool. Are they part of the Viking Saga or is that from elsewhere?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Floki and Eyvind are only in the sagas. Kettil (or a bunch of people with really similar names) shows up in a lot of other 'historical' texts from the period, but whether Kettil, Caitil and Catol are all the same person is up for debate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's another vikings show called The Last Kingdom that's all about Alfred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4enGL-yPiI

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

There's another vikings show called The Last Kingdom that's all about Alfred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4enGL-yPiI

Wonder how far they will go with him here. He's extremely intersting, but i guess a lot of what he did is outside the scope of what Vikings is all about.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Alfred%27s_Tower

Oh man I love follies.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
getting caught up

the battle of yorvik is soooo goooood

bless ivar, may he make limitless pyramids of the monotheists' skulls

e: i know the historical bishop Henry VIII died in battle against the norse, and oh do i hope it's Ivar who holds that particular axe

ee: ugh, ubbe talking peace, after a fight like that?! peace comes when the last saxon king is forced to drink his own melted crown, in the burning ruins of whatever old roman infrastructure that particular cretin appropriated as his petty seat

the Great Army would've achieved nothing without the boneless as its strategist, ubbe's dumb as poo poo

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

apparently they can do things in forests

• Locked thread