Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There were some reports of burn-in but it seems way too soon for that to be happening and I think those ended up being photoshops
or just defective screens (the sort of thing you see in the first wave of the first batch of a new product where they haven't fine tuned the sourcing and manufacturing and qa process)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Linguica posted:

only john fireball would unironically include "joie de vivre" as a bullet point in his iphone x review

gruber is the fart-huffing apple diehard you thought existed only in parody

FMguru posted:

or just defective screens (the sort of thing you see in the first wave of the first batch of a new product where they haven't fine tuned the sourcing and manufacturing and qa process)

yeah if this affected even a fraction of a percent of units sold the amount of bellyaching on reddit would block out the sun

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 27, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Generic Monk posted:

gruber is the fart-huffing apple diehard you thought existed only in parody

well him and cremnob

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

maybe if they integrate touchid into the xi, and if i somehow end up with nothing else to spend my money on

touchid is never coming back

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

infernal machines posted:

well him and cremnob

lol cremnob did it for free

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the SE2 will continue to have touchID and be The Perfect Phone

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I expect they will ruin perfection by dropping the headphone jack for no real reason

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

well him and cremnob

i'm sure there's some miasma about this subforum that brings out the beyond-parody gimmick poster in people; i can't hold that against them

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

poty posted:

touchid is never coming back

nah if they get the under the screen tech working itll come back alongside faceid for edge case authentication of faces being covered or unlocking without looking etc and leverage that into better processing rates for applepay

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i have no idea how Face ID is supposed to work with Apple pay

I’m guessing poorly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

or I guess you’re supposed to buy an Apple Watch? ⌚️

iOS loving recommended the Apple Watch emoji when I typed that :lol:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

i have no idea how Face ID is supposed to work with Apple pay

I’m guessing poorly

it works fine. you authenticate it then tap it to the pad

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
is there any podcast app that works with siri? pocket casts and overcast dont

same for tunein and iplayer radio. hopefully the homepod motivates devs to look into it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

only the stock app does as far as i'm aware. i don't think audio apps can work with siri beyond basic play/pause/skip functionality.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
this tweet thumbnail destroys webkit

https://twitter.com/ladbible/status/944327695814549505

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

looks fine in safari on weed catte :confused:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
actually it’s just a twitter app issue on every platform. gj twitter throwing missing textures at you like it’s a 2007 videogame

https://twitter.com/jackiecambron/status/945918608995074048

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

you can stop reading right there. EDN is basically the Taiwan electronics industry version of fox news. apple doesn’t miss shipments by 40%. some supplier got disqualified and planted a story to gently caress their stock. happens almost every year.

any good trade rags you’d recommend on this stuff? or is it just ‘find out where supply managers like to drink’?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
twitter has been crashing chrome recently for me. what a POS website

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
twitter is insanely good at chugging that RAM yes

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
not sure if it's still a thing, but a while ago web twitter had a spinner at the bottom of the page to tell you it was loading more tweets, and it spun whether or not it was on screen

if you killed the js or used custom css to display:none the spinner, your battery would last significantly longer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

twitter has been crashing chrome recently for me. what a POS website

sounds like your browser is a piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
maybe the truth is in the middle

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

sounds like your browser is a piece of poo poo

no one should use the twitter web app

but i doubt it's chome's fault

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i wonder if the apple board is going to claw back tim's huge bonus now that he's starting to miss sales targets

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I’m really unhappy now with my Apple Watch and the newest watchOS hasn’t fixed anything, it actually made it worse because they changed the navigation yet again and now I have no easy access to controlling my music or podcasts in my phone.

I have it mostly as a notification device, but it’s kind of useless.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

if I stopped using my watch I’d have to type my password into my Mac every time I went to the bathroom

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

any good trade rags you’d recommend on this stuff? or is it just ‘find out where supply managers like to drink’?

hmm, no, not really. I just follow analysts and reporters that I think are good on twitter. most of the insightful long form writing comes from these people, but it’s not in one place.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m really unhappy now with my Apple Watch and the newest watchOS hasn’t fixed anything

how on earth would they fix apple watch with a software update?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

by bricking it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DuckConference posted:

if I stopped using my watch I’d have to type my password into my Mac every time I went to the bathroom

aaactually you can just use the touchid sensor on the touchbar.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m really unhappy now with my Apple Watch

it’s kind of useless.
you don't say

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the SE2 will continue to have touchID and be The Perfect Phone

hey when is that supposed to come out anyways

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Elder Postsman posted:

hey when is that supposed to come out anyways

first half of next year

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

first half of next year

ugh

my wife needs to replace her 5C soon and wants the SE, that might be too long to wait.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

they made it less usable with the latest watchOS redesign imo. Been using one since the first release.

shortcuts to quickly change volume or pause whatever you’re playing on phone are gone and they changed the navigation method AGAIN.

they’ve changed what the side
buttons do like 3 times now with every watchOS release and it’s loving annoying and I’m giving up, this is poo poo and they don’t know what they’re doing. also lol at the apps on the watch, what a waste of time

another annoyance: it’s a freakin Watch first, but I can’t remember how many screens hide the time display which forces me to press the stupid Crown button to go back. the time should always be displayed at least in a corner, but there’s a lot of stuff that hides it

it’s a good silent notification gadget but that’s it

Apple Watch is Apple crap

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

they made it less usable with the latest watchOS redesign imo. Been using one since the first release.

shortcuts to quickly change volume or pause whatever you’re playing on phone are gone and they changed the navigation method AGAIN.

they’ve changed what the side
buttons do like 3 times now with every watchOS release and it’s loving annoying and I’m giving up, this is poo poo and they don’t know what they’re doing. also lol at the apps on the watch, what a waste of time

another annoyance: it’s a freakin Watch first, but I can’t remember how many screens hide the time display which forces me to press the stupid Crown button to go back. the time should always be displayed at least in a corner, but there’s a lot of stuff that hides it

it’s a good silent notification gadget but that’s it

Apple Watch is Apple crap

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i don't have much issue with the watchOS user interface, but by god they've slowed down my apple watch series 2 to irritating levels with the newest watchOS.

when i want to start a workout the workout app always without fail shows the summary from my last workout and takes 5 seconds to start responding to input/aka me scrolling through the summary and starting a new workout

also there's some kind of memory leak that i can visibly detect because raise-to-wake is slower than dogshit until you reboot.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Finally, a way to tell time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ugh don’t get me started on Raise to wake and how often it fails to work, making you look like a stupid idiot

loving piece of poo poo watch

I don’t know, I’ve been using it since they launched it but this past few months have been extra annoying