Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
How does Radarr do with quality. My initial grab on most movies is whatever the @ 1.5gb quality is, then if I’m archiving getting the 4-6gb copy. Right now I never want anything larger than that. I can do this manually. When I tried Couchpotato I had to guess a quality that was fuzzy at best. Every niw and then I’d wind up with a low quality 384mb movie or a supre sized 12gb movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

my download apparatus is quite complicated, with custom applications that I built over the years that do all kinds of crap.

The problem in that scenario isn't Sonarr, and it probably isn't Radarr either.

astral fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 28, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

porktree posted:

How does Radarr do with quality. My initial grab on most movies is whatever the @ 1.5gb quality is, then if I’m archiving getting the 4-6gb copy. Right now I never want anything larger than that. I can do this manually. When I tried Couchpotato I had to guess a quality that was fuzzy at best. Every niw and then I’d wind up with a low quality 384mb movie or a supre sized 12gb movie.

You tell it what quality profiles you're after (it sounds like based on those sizes, 720/1080p WEB-DL or 720p BLU-RAY is for you) and then it only grabs stuff that comes under those headings. You can adjust the wanted sizes, but to be honest I've always left them alone as they're generally fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

The problem in that scenario isn't Sonarr, and it probably isn't Radarr either.

Except that those were the processes that were trashing the hdds/mount point at that time. My tools are not doing any folder scanning and except one, the others are not even touching the mounted NAS. What's with the Sonarr defending bandwagon: "need more powerful NAS, need to put everything in one place or else, definitely isn't sonarr, you're doing it wrong" when I caught the culprit with its pants down?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

Except that those were the processes that were trashing the hdds/mount point at that time. My tools are not doing any folder scanning and except one, the others are not even touching the mounted NAS. What's with the Sonarr defending bandwagon: "need more powerful NAS, need to put everything in one place or else, definitely isn't sonarr, you're doing it wrong" when I caught the culprit with its pants down?

It's simply far more likely you had (or still have, if you're still using them) something grossly misconfigured or merely misinterpreted what was causing the thrashing, that's all. What you described was by no means normal behavior, as several posters attested to.

astral fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

It's simply way more likely you had (or still have, if you're still using them) something grossly misconfigured or merely misinterpreted what was causing the thrashing, that's all. What you described was by no means normal behavior, as several posters attested to.

From my investigation through its source code (quite a mess, and if you're not familiar with Owin ... good luck) it was one of the tasks that were run very often (Downloaded Episodes Scan maybe?) the cause for everything. As for configuration, i guess, it could be misconfigured:

- nzbhydra as indexer
- nzbget as download client (with now completed download handling disabled and Failed Download Handling set to No)
- and nothing else really, profiles, quality are just defaults, connect is empty, metadata is disabled,
- Media management does not rename anything, does not import extra files and ignores deleted episodes

All i need from a program like sonarr is to watch for the show when it appears, grab the nzb and send it to the download client. That's all there is to it, nothing less and definitely nothing more. What mine was also doing was moving from the TV folder to it's show folder in its appropriate season folder after it has been downloaded. Of course, since it gets the information from nzbget on where the show has been downloaded and since the mount path to the NAS is identical on both computers, it shouldn't have to scan anything, just a simple move over NFS (which should be fast as is just a parent change). And yet, it doesn't seem to be.

For now though, a crippled sonarr (I unmounted the download path, it's running blind at the moment) still does what i need it to do, so all is good until i find or make a replacement.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

From my investigation through its source code (quite a mess, and if you're not familiar with Owin ... good luck) it was one of the tasks that were run very often (Downloaded Episodes Scan maybe?) the cause for everything. As for configuration, i guess, it could be misconfigured:

- nzbhydra as indexer
- nzbget as download client (with now completed download handling disabled and Failed Download Handling set to No)
- and nothing else really, profiles, quality are just defaults, connect is empty, metadata is disabled,
- Media management does not rename anything, does not import extra files and ignores deleted episodes

All i need from a program like sonarr is to watch for the show when it appears, grab the nzb and send it to the download client. That's all there is to it, nothing less and definitely nothing more. What mine was also doing was moving from the TV folder to it's show folder in its appropriate season folder after it has been downloaded. Of course, since it gets the information from nzbget on where the show has been downloaded and since the mount path to the NAS is identical on both computers, it shouldn't have to scan anything, just a simple move over NFS (which should be fast as is just a parent change). And yet, it doesn't seem to be.

For now though, a crippled sonarr (I unmounted the download path, it's running blind at the moment) still does what i need it to do, so all is good until i find or make a replacement.

Downloaded Episodes Scan was a task that ran if you were using the drone factory folder, which wasn't recommended (and is deprecated nowadays anyway). You should make sure the drone factory setting is empty and set to an interval of zero to make sure it's disabled. The better way is to link Sonarr to your download client with "Completed Download Handling" so it can pick new downloads up directly from the download client and file them away, but even that is an optional thing that can be turned off if you don't want it.

If you perchance accidentally had drone factory enabled and also for some reason set it to the same folder that housed the rest of your media library, that is a misconfiguration that would have resulted in a comical periodic scan of your entire media library (rather than just a newly-downloaded-but-not-yet-filed-away-items folder, which was what the drone factory was for) in search of new items it hadn't seen before.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

astral posted:

Downloaded Episodes Scan was a task that ran if you were using the drone factory folder, which wasn't recommended (and is deprecated nowadays anyway). You should make sure the drone factory setting is empty and set to an interval of zero to make sure it's disabled. The better way is to link Sonarr to your download client with "Completed Download Handling" so it can pick new downloads up directly from the download client and file them away, but even that is an optional thing that can be turned off if you don't want it.

If you perchance accidentally had drone factory enabled and also for some reason set it to the same folder that housed the rest of your media library, that is a misconfiguration that would have resulted in a comical periodic scan of your entire media library (rather than just a newly-downloaded-but-not-yet-filed-away-items folder, which was what the drone factory was for) in search of new items it hadn't seen before.

Are the nzbToMedia scripts still a thing? They were pretty useful at one point for bridging the gap between a completed download in NZBGet and having that download processed by Radarr/Sonarr/etc. without the latter needing to constantly poll a completed downloads directory.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

That's the way it was (drone factory still is empty and set to 0) and i had it set to Yes on completed download handling (which now is set to no). I found it safer to just remove sonarr's access completely to the media files. Now it can do whatever crap it wants, in its own little box VM without any chance of trashing the NAS until the day i'll put it to rest definitively. It does complain that "OMG, cannot see episode files", but it can suck a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have my content on a NAS, Sonarr/Radarr/SAB running on my mac, and do not experience the problem you are having with disk usage on the NAS.

I think Sonarr is checking folders like every 10min or something, but it takes about 2 seconds to scan my entire TV directory (which is like 2TB of 3TB).

Sonarr is annoying when it adds the download to SAB, it completes, but Sonarr thinks its still in progress and therefore its stuck in some weird limbo where you cant manually manage that download as it doesnt believe it is finished yet, but also wont identify that the complete file is there and do it itself. I since configured Prowl to only send me completed (moved/renamed) notifications which has helped but there is still a lot of contact required for Sonarr in comparison to Sickbeard.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yes, maybe that's what it wants, to be on the same machine with the download client . I have sonarr and radarr on an ubuntu vm, whle the download client is on a different machine (fedora), both having had the NAS mounted under the same folder (/mnt/nas) . It could be linux, it could be the separation, it could be ... well anything really.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm think somewhere Sonarr specifically recommends not having your storage on a separate machine, but I'm not positive where or if that's right.

Really it sounds like Sonarr isn't the tool you want and you're shoehorning it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
:question:

quote:

If Sonarr and your download client are on different machines you will need to use Remote Path Mapping to link the remote path to a local one so Sonarr knows where to find the files.

quote:

Completed Download Handling vs Drone Factory

Pros:
Doesn't scan your hard drive every minute for new downloads to complete

Cons:
Requires Sonarr and your download client to be on the same machine or the remote file system mounted locally and remapped in Sonarr with Remote Path Mapping.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

welp

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Isn’t that moot though if you just have it monitor nzbget/transmission? I thought they deprecated Drone directories for just talking to the APIs of the fetchers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hughlander posted:

Isn’t that moot though if you just have it monitor nzbget/transmission? I thought they deprecated Drone directories for just talking to the APIs of the fetchers.

It needs to know where the hell T:\NZBs\Complete is. If you map the SMB share folder exactly the same on both machines, it behaves, but if you don't, then it needs the Remote Path mapping stuff turned on.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 28, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Which is why they were both mapped exactly the same "/mnt/nas/Downloads/complete". Yes, I've read that part of the wiki, yes, it should just work. It probably has to do with it being a network mount and Sonarr (probably being written with windows in mind) doesn't know that, therefore it probably thinks everything is on the local hard-drive. Maybe in windows is easy to tell if a drive is a network drive or not from C#. In linux is probably not that trivial.

Thermopyle posted:

I'm think somewhere Sonarr specifically recommends not having your storage on a separate machine, but I'm not positive where or if that's right.

Really it sounds like Sonarr isn't the tool you want and you're shoehorning it.

It definitely isn't the tool that I want, but the drat sickbeard stopped working many moons ago. It was almost perfect, as it did only what i needed it to do, nothing more. Maybe I'll have to check to see what went wrong with it and maybe fix it if it isn't too difficult. All i need are the basics to automate that crap for me, in the quietest, easiest, fastest way possible. Sonarr does too many things, and does them badly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sonarr does the things it does pretty well.

Really, you're the only one having the problems you're talking about. I'd consider you have other problems that aren't sonarrs fault.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
"The only thing all your problems seem to have in common is you. Maybe you should fix that?"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"The only thing all your problems seem to have in common is you. Maybe you should fix that?"

FWIW, that is not analogous to my post.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, that is not analogous to my post.

Yeah, I know, I was being a jerk there. Helpful hint time instead to make up for it.

In other news, holy poo poo Trakt lists in Radarr are literally the bestest things ever. You can enable them by going to Settings->Lists, then adding a Trakt List. Like magic tons of movies I wouldn't have thought to ever download decide to show up in my queue, some of which I genuinely want to actually watch, the rest of which will be worth checking out.

Fair warning, the first time the list hits it'll make Radarr positively poo poo itself as it adds and searches for 100 movies more or less simultaneously.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FWIW a lot of my issues with Sonarr did clear up when I moved SABZBD+'s completed download location to same local machine Sonarr and Radarr were installed on. It still isnt perfect, neither was Sickbeard, but Sickbeard was at least reliable in its function.

If sickbeard still worked I would still be using that. There was nothing else about Sonarr that had any appeal to me at all.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

In other news, holy poo poo Trakt lists in Radarr are literally the bestest things ever.

Echoing this. I set up something similar using the weekly list someone mentioned before. Capped it to movies with "quality" above 75, though. Had to jump on SABnzbd to stop a bunch of holiday stuff from piling up, but I can definitely see it being very helpful in the future.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Laserface posted:

FWIW a lot of my issues with Sonarr did clear up when I moved SABZBD+'s completed download location to same local machine Sonarr and Radarr were installed on. It still isnt perfect, neither was Sickbeard, but Sickbeard was at least reliable in its function.

If sickbeard still worked I would still be using that. There was nothing else about Sonarr that had any appeal to me at all.

Sickbeard had only one issue: it didn't do pagination when listing the episodes of a series. So you have a tv show that has gotten to season 25 with 20+ episodes per season, well better don't click there. Other than that it was perfect.
The main reason I have sonarr and radarr on a separate machine is because I have that ubuntuvm running for other things, ubuntu apparently gets a bit more love than , say , fedora and the installation was faster and easier and they have a repo available for updates. The VM host however is running fedora and that's where I have a ton of HDD space (2TB hdd) so nzbget is staying there.

But, I also admit that I hated sonarr the first time i laid my eyes on it (that UI, ughhh), before even trying it out, so outside of an amazing performance that thing doesn't get any praise from me. I will replace it the first chance i get.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I still miss nzbDrone's interface - that was what Sonarr was called before the UI change and rebranding. Much cleaner.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, I know, I was being a jerk there. Helpful hint time instead to make up for it.

In other news, holy poo poo Trakt lists in Radarr are literally the bestest things ever. You can enable them by going to Settings->Lists, then adding a Trakt List. Like magic tons of movies I wouldn't have thought to ever download decide to show up in my queue, some of which I genuinely want to actually watch, the rest of which will be worth checking out.

Fair warning, the first time the list hits it'll make Radarr positively poo poo itself as it adds and searches for 100 movies more or less simultaneously.

I change the limit to 25 because I started getting some really weird poo poo that would get popular for a week and then die

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My main problem with lists is just not trusting other people’s tastes. I’m about 3/4 through watching Brawl on Cell Block 99 and ready to attack everyone who gave that thing above a ** rating.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Never "trending." Never IMDB.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

I've set my Trakt list stuff as follows:
PreDB, HD Profile, TopWatchedByMonth, Limit 10, Rating 70-100

Seems to be the sweet spot before stuff gets weird.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Some of the really weird stuff is the gems you would have never found otherwise.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Is there a good nzb plugin for Firefox? I quite like nzbget-chrome for Chrome but I could only find NZB Unity for Firefox.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bigis posted:

Is there a good nzb plugin for Firefox? I quite like nzbget-chrome for Chrome but I could only find NZB Unity for Firefox.

Sometimes Chrome addons work fine when foxified. Have you tried installing it and seeing what happens?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Just a heads up, nzb.su seems to be down due to a database issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I think it was this thread where I was talking with a couple people with Charter (Spectrum) in the midwest and the hilariously slow upload speeds their packages have.

I just called about an upgrade and they now have 300/20 in my area near STL. The best I used to be able to get was 120/5.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thermopyle posted:

I think it was this thread where I was talking with a couple people with Charter (Spectrum) in the midwest and the hilariously slow upload speeds their packages have.

I just called about an upgrade and they now have 300/20 in my area near STL. The best I used to be able to get was 120/5.

Yeah, the best (and only) non business plan Charter offers here is 100/7. I've been pretty happy with my service, but I sure would like some more upload

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Hot dang. Is that a business account? I’ve been thinking about upgrading but just haven’t pulled the trigger. But 3x the speed would be super nice. How much is 300/20 if you don’t mind me asking?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

It's not a business account.

I went from 65/month to 90/month.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone else get a Windows update today that broke your SABnzbd settings? I got a error something like "SABnzbd.ini is not a valid config file, error in line 1, please delete the file" so i did and am setting it all up again now. The update also removed all my custom profiles/macros on my Logitech mouse too, extremely annoying and highly fucky.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The round of Windows Updates from the end of last year are absolute garbage and seem to break different things on every machine I've encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

The round of Windows Updates from the end of last year are absolute garbage and seem to break different things on every machine I've encountered.

They really do seem to be getting more and more unstable.