Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
AEJK, Y A tea party is exactly how any rational girl would react to a magical talking spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

YOU HAVE UNCOVERED THE ANCIENT BONESABER OF ZUMA'KALIS!

:byodame: One lump or two?!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Can it at least be a coffee party instead?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Slaan posted:

Summoning sounds cool, what kinds of things do summoners summon?

"It depends. Summoners are really a subset of binders, that instead of forcing their will on spirits have specific deals with some of them. Often, mistakenly, Shapers will be confused with Summoners, but shapers create their servants out of Mana and whatever they can find around themselves"

the_steve posted:

Question for Sejin: Were you surprised we chose the spear? Did you think we'd go with a different one?

"There are no wrong choices, but when I saw the Hawk, I suspected that was what you would go for" he smiles "I was wrong, obviously"

There Bias Two posted:

Can it at least be a coffee party instead?
You have never heard of coffee before.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TheCog posted:

You have never heard of coffee before.

Oh god what kind of hellish existence are we living?!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

There Bias Two posted:

The kind of hellish existence where your family and everyone you ever knew and loved died in a fire and horrifying monstrosities roam the earth. No coffee seems pretty minor compared to that.

If there were no tea, on the other hand... ahh, that would indeed be like the deepest depths of the Avici hells.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

There Bias Two posted:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Obviously the Sejin knows about coffee, we just never got involved with it yet because we were born in barbaria.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We are a child. We do yet not have need for the secrets of coffee. Things are not yet so dire. Once we come of age and lose our youthful spunk though it's going to be Magic Spear Lady and the Quest for Caffeine.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blasphemaster posted:

We are a child. We do yet not have need for the secrets of coffee. Things are not yet so dire. Once we come of age and lose our youthful spunk though it's going to be Magic Spear Lady and the Quest for Caffeine.

Tea has caffeine. :colbert:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

Tea has caffeine. :colbert:

COFFEE HAS MORE!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Train at staves with transformed *unpronouncable*

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

.. What's with you guys, coffee sucks. Tea is all you need.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't even imagine what a coffee party must be like.

Talking about roasts over a bear claw?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Questions for the Sejin:
When you said you try not to use Magic you sounded sad. Has it always been dangerous to leave behind traces of Magic?
What sort of dangerous things are attracted to the use of Magic?
Are there ways to obscure or hide the "scent" of Magic after it has been left?
Is there a general name for people who have gone through the ritual? Magician?
Is it rare for Magicians to fight each other? What is a confrontation like that like?

Also gently caress yeah tea party

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Voting is closed, I'm gonna start working on the update, but I predict it'll take a little while.

EDIT: Honestly most likely to be done some time saturday.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 21, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
No other votes for blood magic? You people sicken me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Outrail posted:

No other votes for blood magic? You people sicken me.

Without coffee, we simply don't have the hardy constitution needed for blood magic.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

When you said you try not to use Magic you sounded sad. Has it always been dangerous to leave behind traces of Magic?

"There have always been risks, but the world has not always been as hostile to magic as it is now." he gives you a smile, "I'm afraid its an old person thing, we look at how things have changed, and wonder how they could have been"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What sort of dangerous things are attracted to the use of Magic?
"There are some monsters that are attracted to magic. We will talk about Mana-eaters in due course. The biggest risk are those who would hunt Mages for their own purposes"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Are there ways to obscure or hide the "scent" of Magic after it has been left?
"Yes. Its is rarely worth the effort though. The scent of small spells, and of spells that have an immediate effect fades in a matter of days. The real risk is in using bigger spells or in leaving a trail of smaller spells that someone might follow. For now, you should focus on your training, as your Sight grows, you'll understand more about the scent of magic, Sundar.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Is there a general name for people who have gone through the ritual? Magician?

"If you mean someone who has preformed Shaeira, they are called the Alshurue Fi, or Initiates if you prefer. If you mean someone with active magic circuits, Magician or magic user or Mage are valid terms."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Is it rare for Magicians to fight each other? What is a confrontation like that like?
"It depends on the time, and the place, and the nature of the magicians. When magic users were more common, it was not unusual for them to be part of armies, and magic duels were, if not common-place, at least a thing that happened. How a duel goes really depends on what the Magician knows, a duel between Sejin's for example, would be quite different from a fight between witches. When you're sufficiently trained in magic we'll cover what you must know if you're to ever fight a magician." It seems like this is a topic the Sejin doesn't really want to discuss in depth? Or at least you get that impression

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I am working on the update, but if I don't finish today, the soonest it will happen is the 28th, due to family things.

Happy holidays everyone.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can you teach me how to make colored explosions and make my voice come out of other places? I've got some pranks I want to pull next time we come across a town.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Blasphemaster posted:

Can you teach me how to make colored explosions and make my voice come out of other places? I've got some pranks I want to pull next time we come across a town.

"I can, but you will not risk breaking your promise by pulling pranks with magic" the Sejin frowns slightly at this.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Can I play pranks on monsters I am about to defeat? In order to distract them?

Happy New Year, I hope your family stuff calms down.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Travel with the Sejin continues as it once was, although now your day is more... organized, less freeform. Story time has gotten shorter, although the Sejin still tells you stories, often as a break from your other lessons. Most of your time spent walking is spent learning about magic, and your evenings, after you make camp are spent drilling with the staff, often into the late hours of the night. At night, when you fall to sleep, it is a deep, dreamless thing the fruit of mental and physical exertion.

A few weeks after your initiation, you mention to the Sejin that you would really like to do a tea party with him and Alramh your trusty spear, which now spends most of its time as either a knife or a pendant. He gives you a mysterious smile, and agrees. You don't bring it up again for days, and days. Obviously the Sejin must have forgotten. You don't have time to dwell on this fact, as your muscles ache from drilling and you brain feels like its been *stretched* from all the exercises the Sejin has you do.

It is perhaps two weeks after you asked, having just passed through the town of Solitude, a gray, dower little place, where you barely spent the night before leaving again, that the Sejin points out two large pillars in the distance. "Those are the pillars of Banba" he explains, recounting the story of Banba, an ancient spirit of war that raised a great city from the swamps, and there raised an army of ten thousand spirit-warriors. At the very edge of her domain, she raised these pillars, to show where her kingdom ended. That is apparently where you're going. "Its a bit off the beaten path" the Sejin explains, "but very much worth it"

It takes two weeks of hiking, through miserable, biting brambles, and clouds of stinging beetles, before you make your way to the foot of one of the pillars. It is truly massive. The biggest thing you've ever seen. It towers above you and the Sejin. It would take maybe half a day to walk around? But it is much taller than that would seem to support. "Well, nowhere to go but up" the Sejin says in a dry voice. You're not sure if he's joking. He rummages around in his bag, and draws from it the box you've seen once before. The Travelers Dagger. When he draws it from the box, you feel... strange. Your eyes see the dagger, a perfectly ordinary dagger with a snake hilt, but also, something else. Something beyond, a dark snake, coiled around the blade, part of the blade, inside the blade. The Sejin slashes at the pillar with it, speaking a word, and the air... does something, you don't have an adequate vocabulary to explain it. There is a hole in the pillar that is both there and not there. The Sejin offers you a hand. Clutching your hand tightly, he steps through the not-hole, and you find yourself. for a fragment of an instant surrounded by darkness... and then somewhere else, buffeted by the wind. You are... on top of the pillar it looks like. You can see for a very long distance. The top of the pillar is smooth, its been roughed up by years of wind. It looks like sometimes birds nest here?

"An appropriate place for a tea party, don't you agree Sundar?" he says with a smile. The dagger has vanished, as has the ripple in the air. Back into its box probably? The Sejin starts a fire, as he digs out a small dinky teapot from his bag, and three ceramic cups. "I'm afraid Solitude didn't have much in the way of pastries, or fine china so we have to make do." He draws some herbs from his bag, and begins to brew them in the teapot. "The tea I had been saving for a special occasion, such as this. It comes from a distant place." he brews with a practiced form, almost ritualistic.

The tea is... interesting is how you can best describe it, not quite sweet, not quite bitter, but with a deep layer of intermingling flavors. You're not sure you like it, but it is warm, and you drink it anyway, as you, the Sejin and Alramh watch the sun set. You watch the Sejin sip his tea, the cup tiny in his massive hands. You talk, deep into the night, the Sejin sharing stories about the time of Banba, and you asking questions.

Perhaps its not all you expected it to be, but for a moment, all is right in the world.

In your travels, you usually set camp about two hours before sunset. This leaves some time in the evening to practice your weapon drills. In this, the Sejin is a merciless teacher. "The most you'll get from me, Sundar, is a bruise" he explains, "In a real fight, your opponent won't knock you on your rear end. They'll kill you." he continues, as he smashes through your unsteady guard and wallops you on the head.

Most of your training focuses not on sparring, but on drills and stances. "You want to react instinctively, to not even think about your current move" the Sejin lectures, the thirty fifth time you run through your basic form. "That way your brain is free to do actually important things." Indeed, you are developing pretty keen reflexes and a sharp muscle memory. After a few months, the Sejin begins to test you, randomly through the day, reaching out with his staff to trip you or hit you, and more often than not you are able to parry it and counter attack.

The basics at least, are sticking. The Sejin often praises you on your dedication, as you drill with him into the night, and on days when you don't, officially have to train. You can feel yourself getting stronger. You're fairly confident you could defeat a wild beast or an adult. Against a trained soldier, the Sejin warns, you'd still be greatly outmatched.

Your mornings then, are spent on the subject of Magic. This mostly involves exercises in understanding your mana pool. The Sejin explains that once you have enough training, you'll be able to figure out how many "parts" you have in your well. For now, its more of an estimate of how much using a specific magical ability will expend.

The Sejin also begins to train you in Kinesis. The art of exerting force with magic. "It is a good discipline to begin with, it teaches many valuable fundamentals". You learn that to craft a spell, you need to 'feel out' the path it's going to take, and feed mana at the appropriate points. It is easier to have a prepared spell, held in your mind, one you've cast before, who's "shape" you understand, and then modify it slightly for whatever use you need than to craft it from whole cloth. That is where gestures and incantations play their role, they let the spell traverse the path you're holding in your mind.

It takes you a while to get a feeling for this. It is a very strange thing, involving senses you have not used before. Many of your exercises consist of trying to lift small objects, and fling them. Even lifting an object, at first, takes a great drain on your mana pool, leaving you almost spent, without even lifting the object. Every morning, before practice, the Sejin "refills" your mana pool, he lays a hand on your shoulder, and you feel it refill. Without it, your practice would have been much slower.

Eventually, about six months in, you can reliably lift, and throw objects, although as you quickly learn, it is much more difficult to do so if any distance is involved at all, and the weight of the object has a significant impact on your ability to lift it. Still, you can throw small rocks with significant force, maybe even enough to harm someone if you aimed carefully. You can also now reliably feel when you hit the point of no-return and stop yourself if necessary. While you don't have a good way to measure your pool, hurling a small rock quickly with your magic drains about a tenth of your pool. You can lift bigger object, small logs, the like, for a similar cost to about twice your height, although the process is slow, about a minute. Trying to manipulate even a small object from a distance greater than three or so feet is very draining, which the Sejin explains is one of the principal limitation of Kinesis. "Even a great Kinesist is hampered by distance, although it will get easier for you as you practice."

At some point during your training the Sejin warns you "You may be tempted to use your physical body for mana at some point, when you are in combat and reaching your limit, when you just need one last spell. This is dangerous, not just because it places you at risk of your own spell slaying you to pay the cost, but because it will utterly cripple your ability to continue fighting. The body does not contain much mana beyond the pool of mana itself, if you drain your body, you will be barely able to move, much less fight. You will be tempted, but it will almost guarantee your death."

The Sejin has just started to teach you about limiters, and persisting magic, although you don't know enough about either to apply them yet.

The rest of your time is spent immersed in different languages, Ignian, and the Sejin's native tongue, which you learn is called Eurbaa. It has a strange writing style, unlike what you're used to, but once you internalize that it flows right to left, you make surprisingly fast progress in learning to read it. By the end of the year, you speak it fluently enough that most of your non-magic conversations with the Sejin are in Eurbaa. You delight in hearing familiar stories in their original language.

You also learn that the Sejin's native land is called Eur, and that Eurbaa are People of the Land of Eur. While the Sejin is more than willing to talk about the stories of that land, he's very vague about current events, as if he'd rather not speak of them. No story he tells, as far as you can tell, ties in to the present day at all.

Learning Eurbaa, allows you to read many of the scrolls the Sejin possesses that you could not read before, and most of the Sejin's book of monsters is written in this language as well.

The Sejin is obviously delighted to teach you his language, and seems very pleased to have someone to speak it with? Perhaps it's been a very long time since he's even heard anyone else speak it?

You also try to make headway in learning Ignian, although your progress is not fast, it is very difficult to get your lips to form the right words. Still, when the Sejin speaks very very slowly, you can understand what he is saying, and you can somewhat effectively communicate simple ideas.

Ignian writing, however, is another topic entirely, it is exceedingly difficult and the Sejin does not have much material written in Ignian. The language is mostly symbolic and there are thousands of different, slightly differing symbols to learn, who's meaning varies depending on where they are in the compound symbol, who's meaning in turn changes depending on where it lies in relation to other symbols.

To encourage you, or perhaps because he wants to reward your efforts, the Sejin gifts you one of the scrolls, to keep as your own. "Its an ancient tale, one of my favorites from the Far Realms. This was a gift to me, from my teacher, Sejin Faizullah, it took me many years to be able to read it." It is a truly gorgeous scroll, in an inlaid wooden scroll case. The symbols in it all appear to be written in some kind of gold paint, and in the firelight they ripple.

You will need to spend more time on learning Ignian if you wish to truly master it, although the Sejin insists that you are making good progress. "It is not a language invented by mortals" he explains "it will take time Sundar. Keep applying yourself, and you will grasp it, I promise"

Your magical senses are sharpening. "You will begin to gain a strange sense of the world, Sundar" the Sejin explains "You will have to concentrate to truly use it, but it is one of the greatest blessings of the Djinni, one many magic users would trade a limb for". When you close your eyes and focus, you can feel.... something, about where you are. Its is a feeling like a small stream trickling through your chest, but if you really focus, you can grasp the boundaries of it, feel where the land changes. In some places it is gradual, in others abrupt. You can taste it too, a strange earthy undertaste.

When you ask the Sejin about this, he explains that what you are feeling are laylines. The natural mana pools of the land, where spirits draw their energy, and where life itself originates. It is what keeps a land alive, and not a desert wasteland. Depending on the land, the laylines will have a different feel. Some magic users draw their power from Laylines, although it is a dangerous practice, one that can destroy the magic user and the land as well.

It has been about a year since your initiation, and you have just arrived in the town of Cloister. Winter is looming, but the first snows aren't yet due.

In the last year you have grown a lot. To take stock:

You are a little over 13 years old
You are conversational in Eurbaa, the Sejin’s tongue, and able to read and write it with reasonable proficiency.
You know the basics of Ignian, and can speak it, and understand it spoken, if with difficulty.
You know how to swim, poorly from before the Sejin adopted you
You have decent wilderness survival skills
You know how to set up a camp.
You are quite adept at fighting with a staff. You can be reasonably sure you could fight of an unarmed adult or small animal without much difficulty, and you could probably go toe to toe with an armed adult who didn’t really know what they were doing. Still a trained soldier would likely wallop you.
Your magical circuits have been activated
You have a good sense of your magic pool
You know many old stories about the Sejin's birthplace, including many obscure ones
You know how to haggle and get good deals.
You are of childish strength, but in very good physical condition.
You are capable of basic Kenisis, manipulating objects in close proximity without touching them
Your magic pool has grown, a lot, it is much bigger than when you first got it, although you don't have good measurements for this yet
You have the ability to sense laylines.

Your possessions are: a travel pack, a wooden scrollcase with a single scroll in Ignian, a pendant charm made of wood that the Sejin made for you, and Alnaar Alramh, as well as a few changes of clothes, one good knife, and a wooden walking stick/quarterstaff.

What of *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*?

You have cared for it daily, and looked after it, trying to increase your bond with it.

The spear's name is *unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning*, or if you prefer Alnaar Alramh.

Its full powers will unlock as you master the mystic arts and are less likely to kill yourself with it.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* is restless, and wishes to fight!

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can change from, to almost any melee weapon you can imagine, although its true form is a spear, and that is where the full range of its powers lie. These transformations will cost you magical energy. Not much, but some.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can assume the form of a small pendant or charm. As above, transforming has a cost to you.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can wreathe itself in flame. As you stand right now, this cost is more than half your magic pool but less than two thirds. Sustaining it for more than a minute will incur a further cost, although you should be able to sustain it for a short while.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can protect you from from flames when it is in the form of a spear. How much this costs depends on the nature of the flames it is trying to withstand, but right now trying to resist anything more than minor flames for a short period of time is likely to exhaust your magical energy, and your physical body, and depending on the severity of the flames, kill you outright.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can, when in the form of a spear, project a bolt of fire. This will almost completely empty your pool of mana, and possibly exhaust your physical body. The cost depends on the intensity of the flames. You are not sure how to regulate this.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* can, when in the form of a spear, project a cone of fire, to bathe your enemies in flames, and consume them. Right now the cost to you is such that it is likely to exhaust your magical energy, and your physical body and possibly kill you outright. You are not sure how to regulate the size or intensity of the cone.

*unpronounceable sound of fire crackling and embers burning* never dulls, and does not need any special maintenance, although it appreciates the attention.

Cloister is the biggest town you've ever been in. Ever. It has dozens of streets, and has been built into the side of a hill. Small shrines dot the path leading up to it. You arrive mid-morning, and it appears the town is in the middle of... something. Big colored tents have been set outside the walls, and the sounds of merry-making and drinking can be heard long before you arrive at town. The Sejin sees this, and you see an expression of... something, you're not sure what, cross his face.

He smiles at you. "Well, it looks like we timed this poorly. Cloister is in the middle of its annual Festival of Souls. Its a... religious party of sorts.People come from the neighboring towns to celebrate. I have a man I have to meet up with, but I imagine you've never seen anything like this before." he hesitates for a second, and rummages around in his bag. "Why don't you take this, Sundar, and go explore the festival? It should be safe. We'll meet up at that gate, right before sundown." he says pointing at the main gate leading into the town. He offers you a small leather pouch, that jingles encouragingly with coins.

You:

A.) Don't want to go to the festival! You want to go with the Sejin!
B.) Want to go check out the procession wandering through the tents!
C.) Want to go check out the food! It looks like there are pies, and other street foods being sold!
D.) Want to go talk to the priests at the shrine in the middle of it all
E.) Want to go find other kids to play with.
F.) Want to go check out the different market stalls. Maybe I can buy something neat?
K.) I want to go try to play the different games that are set up!
G.) I go practice my drills by myself.
H.) I go find a quiet secluded spot to practice magic
I.) Free time? I go find a place to nap.
J.) I have a different thing I want to do. Write in.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 29, 2017

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
D

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B

Let's go see what all the fuss is about.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
E

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

forgot an option, added in k

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
E.. We spend all our time with a powerful old man, if we don't get some normal social time we're gonna turn into a goon.

Also I'm really digging this CYOA TheCog, thanks for writing it!

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
K. Got to spend coin to make coin

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
C - check out the local food, it's always interesting to see how different cultures create their own food types

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
E

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TheCog posted:

A.) Don't want to go to the festival! You want to go with the Sejin!
B.) Want to go check out the procession wandering through the tents!
C.) Want to go check out the food! It looks like there are pies, and other street foods being sold!
D.) Want to go talk to the priests at the shrine in the middle of it all
E.) Want to go find other kids to play with.
F.) Want to go check out the different market stalls. Maybe I can buy something neat?
K.) I want to go try to play the different games that are set up!
G.) I go practice my drills by myself.
H.) I go find a quiet secluded spot to practice magic
I.) Free time? I go find a place to nap.
J.) I have a different thing I want to do. Write in.

Elaboration time. Dialogue, calling on our own knowledge and understanding, whatever works, it's your show.

A) "Is not having me around for the deal about protecting the deal, or me, or you, or something else?"

B) "Festival of Souls seems like it leaves a lot out. What are they commemorating and what else do they do for it besides parades and carnivals?"

C) "What food would you recommend here? Yeah, I know, something that builds me up for training, but I'm thinking more something that I'd miss if I didn't take the chance to eat or drink it while I was here."

D) "They're not going to sense the magic in me, are they?"

E) "When do children start working in this place?" Are we going to even be able to relate to children our age, when the company we keep is spirits and a man who talks about the ancient world apparently first-hand? Or possibly young adults our age. ... Uh-oh.

F) Neat is relative. Anything we'd want to buy would have to travel well. So what's here that travelers from a foreign tradition would want to buy and then keep with them?

K) (Sorting!) "The games aren't going to eat all my money, are they?"

Not a lot to say about training, magic here is a bad idea, and sleeping here is also probably a bad idea, unless we have lodging.

Not related to an option: Did we ever ask about what sundar means? sejin calls us by it like a term of endearment, not a name.

Also a pillar four miles wide, drat. That thing would embarrass most mountains and how did we even breathe up there? (Would this even be a question we would think to ask?)

Anyway.

Provisionally C (actually we can probably do B at the same time), and if time allows D.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 29, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
J, go find another magic user, see how they compare to Sejin. Find out about blood magic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

E, let's develop social skills.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

F

I approve of the tea party, though I personally would be scared of having it on top of an ancient pillar.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

A) "Is not having me around for the deal about protecting the deal, or me, or you, or something else?"
"It is going to be a very boring talk, and you should enjoy things like this while you can." perhaps there's another reason, but you get the feeling that the Sejin feels a little like he owes you a piece of a normal life while you can get it.

B) "Festival of Souls seems like it leaves a lot out. What are they commemorating and what else do they do for it besides parades and carnivals?"
"When the sun goes down they mourn all that have died that year, and pray for a less harsh winter. I'm sure one of the locals would be happy to give you more details" it seems like this isn't a topic the Sejin really wants to talk about? Or maybe he doesn't know that much about it?

C) "What food would you recommend here? Yeah, I know, something that builds me up for training, but I'm thinking more something that I'd miss if I didn't take the chance to eat or drink it while I was here."
The Sejin's taste in food is very... plain, nutritionally balanced, but boring, whenever you've asked him about food, he hasn't had much to say on the topic. Its the same here. "Whatever you think will taste good? I'm afraid I don't know that much about the local cuisine Sundar."

D) "They're not going to sense the magic in me, are they?"
"With the amount of magic you do, they will certainly not catch any traces of magic on you, if that's even in their power, which I doubt. Your only concern would be your spear, just keep it in amulet form, and don't let anyone handle it, and you will be fine Sundar" he gives you a comforting smile, and then adds "Obviously, don't do any magic"

E) "When do children start working in this place?" Are we going to even be able to relate to children our age, when the company we keep is spirits and a man who talks about the ancient world apparently first-hand? Or possibly young adults our age. ... Uh-oh.
Children start helping out around the farm and homestead as soon as they are able, and many of them become apprentices as young as 9-10, but they still have days like this, where they momentarily get to be children for a while. Young adulthood begins at 15-16, when you might have enough responsibility to earn money.

F) Neat is relative. Anything we'd want to buy would have to travel well. So what's here that travelers from a foreign tradition would want to buy and then keep with them?
That's for you to decide. Without seeing what wares are available you don't have a good idea.

K) (Sorting!) "The games aren't going to eat all my money, are they?"
"Spend wisely, and they won't, but if you're foolish with your spending, Sundar, then you have no one to blame but yourself" the Sejin gives you a gentle smile, to indicate that he's mostly poking fun, not assigning blame.

Not related to an option: Did we ever ask about what sundar means? sejin calls us by it like a term of endearment, not a name.
You did!

TheCog posted:

"Its a type of flower that only grows in places with little water and lots of wind. Its quite pretty. I use it as a sign of affection."

Also a pillar four miles wide, drat. That thing would embarrass most mountains and how did we even breathe up there? (Would this even be a question we would think to ask?)

Fun fact that Clarissa is not aware of, but that as the narrator I can tell you: the pillars are not visible from nearly as far away as they should be. You should have been able to spot them weeks before you did.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 29, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
E is basically a mix of all other ones, isn't it? do e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
That tea party was great. Slice of life is the best, and I'm happy that the Sejin is so pleased to hear us speaking his native language. Side benefit of being able to read more of his stuff is also neat.

So something bad happened in the Sejin's home country and he hasn't been back in ages? I suspect that if we ever run into someone else who speaks Eurbaa they're going to tell us that we speak a dated dialect of it.

Have we tried talking to Alnaar with our extremely limited Ignian?
What's the level of technology in Cloister? How do the lights work in the city? Have we ever seen something like them?
What's the general level of technology in the world? In my head I was kind of guessing Medieval but Cloister looks more modern than that.

For the Sejin:
Should I be worried that Alnaar is getting restless for a fight?
What is Solitude? Is it the name for the place you go when you use your traveler's dagger?

F Maybe there will be something to buy that isn't a silly tchotchke!