Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Well that works both ways. Maybe it was just one dude in the Branch Davidian who had a bunch of guns. You ever think of that?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nothing involving Rob Schneider has aged well, and that includes Rob Schneider

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

purple death ray posted:

Judge Dredd is still good. Of course, it's mostly good in spite of Schneider rather than because of him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

purple death ray posted:

His daughter's has some pretty decent music, I think. That's something.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
making copies

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SpacePig posted:

His daughter's has some pretty decent music, I think. That's something.

Doesn't she try to distance herself from the fact that he's her dad, though? That may help.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

purple death ray posted:

Agreed. He's got a show on Netflix now though, and what little I've caught of it seems to be okay. I'm not going to actually sit and watch to find out though, because gently caress that

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Benchwarmers was kind of funny. Sort of.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsngum posted:

Wow, I now pronounce you chuck and larry is really really bad. Even the "oh look at the opression gay people feel" is just hamfisted.
I'm unsurprised that a film that uses a standard homophobic reaction to gay marriage ("What's to stop me marrying someone just to in some way defraud some organisation?") as it's plot is terrible.

Nutsngum posted:

Yes. It was on in the background whilst playing my mother and sister in scrabble. I won despite the awful obnoxious gay jokes coming thick and fast.

The only thing worst then the ham fisted message was Rob Schneiders awful asian stereotype character. No Rob Schneider, being part Filipno does not give you an open ticket to impersonate Mickey Rooney.

I still remember the terrible day in 2008 when I learned it was Roy Scheider and not Rob Schneider who had died. :(

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Volcott posted:

The Americans need to get on board with using the metric system already. I know doing things the hard way to preserve the unique culture of Shitkick Island is basically their national pastime at this point, but they've got things to measure same as the rest of us.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dang did that post make you drop your monocle into your tea or something

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

I'm unsurprised that a film that uses a standard homophobic reaction to gay marriage ("What's to stop me marrying someone just to in some way defraud some organisation?") as it's plot is terrible.

I still remember the terrible day in 2008 when I learned it was Roy Scheider and not Rob Schneider who had died. :(

We're going to need a bigger boat of copies, Stingalingding

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

funmanguy posted:

making copies

Copyin' this pooost. The funmanguy-ster

Jesus how did that ever catch on? Thank god there was never a movie.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
snl is the biggest example of Not Aging Well

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Hey, we got a BiggerBoat :)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

funmanguy posted:

Which is amazing, considering it changes its cast pretty regularly. But also most of its time is filled up with topical humor, which tends to destroy any replay value.

So it's kinda like South Park. Topical humor is like cheating on your homework. Yeah, you'll get high grades at the time, but don't expect the final to be as kind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about the "making copies" bit was how he got to redo it in a commercial but then blew it by making anti-vax statements.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Which is amazing, considering it changes its cast pretty regularly. But also most of its time is filled up with topical humor, which tends to destroy any replay value.

So it's kinda like South Park. Topical humor is like cheating on your homework. Yeah, you'll get high grades at the time, but don't expect the final to be as kind.

I actually liked their first few seasons. These days, yeah, seems like they age very quickly. Almost immediately this season! :v:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
At least with South Park I can go back to a season and they're a bit like time capsules to what was a relevant topic at that time. SNL just seems like it's even more fleeting than that outside of Weekend Update.

The SNL thing I'm surprised didn't get a movie: The Wiig Cashier Lady. I'm sure they could have spun a 90 minute film out of that if they wanted about how she's been fired or something (or promoted) and she's bringing her same hyper personality to a new job. Call it "SNL Pictures Presents: Checked Out" or something.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

funmanguy posted:

Yeah but it's not supposed to, it's literally a joke-a-week grindmill where they just push out as much as they can each week to entertain the public, then trash it and then start over again the next day. Asking it to 'age well' on top of that is asking it to be the opposite of what it is, and frankly asking too much - the only way it can survive is by constantly flowing.

You should try to make nearly an hour of content each week and see how well you can make it 'age well' before you burn out.

I'm not saying it's great, but it's actually fairly solid for what it is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The digital shorts and commercials age pretty well. But yeah, politics doesn't age well, why would political humor.

Schmitts Gay is timeless.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Wafer posted:

The digital shorts and commercials age pretty well. But yeah, politics doesn't age well, why would political humor.

Counterpoint: "Gerald Ford bumps into things" is evergreen.

As is "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead"

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah but it's not supposed to, it's literally a joke-a-week grindmill where they just push out as much as they can each week to entertain the public, then trash it and then start over again the next day. Asking it to 'age well' on top of that is asking it to be the opposite of what it is, and frankly asking too much - the only way it can survive is by constantly flowing.

You should try to make nearly an hour of content each week and see how well you can make it 'age well' before you burn out.

Gilbert Gottfried I think had a good line about SNL being like an ok restaurant in a good location. I think he was specifically talking about old-vs-new-SNL but it's mostly always been true imo. But that's probably the key to appreciating it for what it is.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Its a fine show, it just doesn't age well which is why it's in this thread. I do enjoy weekend updates from old seasons, but only about half of that holds up well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

That ad never fails to amaze me for its time. Like yeah it's a shot for shot remake of a Budweiser ad that ran at the time replacing bikini girls with bikini boys, but at the end of the day, the joke was "what if beer ads targeted gay men the same way they do straight men?" And isn't in the slightest actually mocking homosexuality or judging it. That's incredibly forward for tv of the time...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Krispy Wafer posted:

Documentary film maker is the biggest TV character professional cop-out since lifestyle reporter. That show really was terrible. Wasn't the guy from Spin City in that as an agoraphobic who later found love? The show is slowly coming back to me and I'm not liking what I'm remembering.

I watched a Brady Bunch Christmas and that was just a smorgasbord of poo poo no one does anymore. Like going to travel agents and then travel agents calling your bank to verify your check. Or needed to go out and rent beds for when all the kids come to visit (because inflatable mattresses didn't exist yet). In the end Mike Brady is left to die in a collapsed building until Christmas Carols revive him and he stumbles out to a cheering crowd of reporters, family, bystanders, and rescue workers who were not going to risk their lives going in after him. It was an incredible TV movie.

I'm pretty sure Somalia has more guns per capita. But I could be wrong.

The time between the end of the original run of the Brady Bunch and the 90s Brady Bunch movie lampooning the original show is shorter than the time between now and the 90s Brady Bunch movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, the first time I saw that happen I felt like someone was playing a joke on me.

Stereotypes are usually based on a kernel of truth and some are based on a whole lot of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV6N70GMd_I

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Counterpoint: "Gerald Ford bumps into things" is evergreen.

When I was a kid in like the late 90s there was something on TV about Gerald Ford and it showed a clip of him falling down the steps of air force one and my dad, talking like a stoic sage and like he was making a grand point, said "Gerald Ford was a clumsy man. And that's why they always called him... Clumsy Ford" and it still makes me laugh thinking about what a grandpa simpson moment that was for a man in his late 30s

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I was a kid in like the late 90s there was something on TV about Gerald Ford and it showed a clip of him falling down the steps of air force one and my dad, talking like a stoic sage and like he was making a grand point, said "Gerald Ford was a clumsy man. And that's why they always called him... Clumsy Ford" and it still makes me laugh thinking about what a grandpa simpson moment that was for a man in his late 30s

what, you've never done that to a kid?

pulling the wise old sage routine when you're obviously fairly young confuses the hell out of them, it's fun

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remember that ad. It was for some sort of political bloopers VHS, and I think it opened with that Ford clip with Hail to the Chief playing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
National Lampoon's European Vacation was on the other night and it's hard to find things in it that have aged well.

WampaLord posted:

That's not how gun ownership actually works though.

The vast majority of Americans own 0 guns, then there's another group of people who only own 1 gun, and then there's a tiny tiny amount of people who own 20+ guns each. This throws off the average.

The average American owns no guns.

Up until the mid 90s over 50% of American households had at least one gun, and it's only in the last few years it's dropped below 40%.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

what, you've never done that to a kid?

pulling the wise old sage routine when you're obviously fairly young confuses the hell out of them, it's fun

My dad was not doing this. He legitimately thought he was making an important statement and it was hilarious

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You can see how it does work with Not The Nine O'Clock News. It only ran for 28 half hour episodes made across three years, but almost 40 years on (dear God) it still stands up for the most part. There's a few sketches like General Synod's Life of Christ and Death of a Princess: An Apology that are funnier if you recognise the context - Life of Christ especially requires that you know the furore around Monty Python's Life of Brian - but most of what you miss is not knowing who the politicians in the intercut "audience shots" are. And Conservatives: Realism and Responsibility, Constable Savage and National Wealth Beds could have been made yesterday, sadly.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

WampaLord posted:

then there's a tiny tiny amount of people who own 20+ guns each.
Oh hey, that's me!

WampaLord posted:

The average American owns no guns.
If you are only counting cities, you'll have a much lower number of owners.

Head to a more rural area (including outskirts of some cities) and it'll jump.

This has nothing to do with shows not aging well though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

You can see how it does work with Not The Nine O'Clock News. It only ran for 28 half hour episodes made across three years, but almost 40 years on (dear God) it still stands up for the most part. There's a few sketches like General Synod's Life of Christ and Death of a Princess: An Apology that are funnier if you recognise the context - Life of Christ especially requires that you know the furore around Monty Python's Life of Brian - but most of what you miss is not knowing who the politicians in the intercut "audience shots" are. And Conservatives: Realism and Responsibility, Constable Savage and National Wealth Beds could have been made yesterday, sadly.

I remember thinking for years that "I Like Trucking" was just a silly song, and I was quite amused when my dad informed me, "Actually, that was a parody of ads for Yorkie bars."

I think the Question Time one will be evergreen.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Krispy Wafer posted:

The only way you redeem Apu is by getting an Indian man to voice him. The character itself isn't that bad considering for the bulk of his run he's been probably the most three dimensional Indian character on television.

If you can't see what the problem is with Apu, a cartoon man in a world of stereotype people, being the most three dimensional Indian character on television, I'm not sure what to say. That's what The Problem With Apu talks about, it's that Apu was one of the only representations of Indian folks on TV for a while, and he was written and voiced by white dudes who mostly made 'lol Indian people are different/cheap/tacky' jokes. It unintentionally defined how Indian folks are to a lot of Americans, and it led to a whole generation of white Americans thinking it was funny calling their Indian friends/neighbors 'Apu' and then calling them overly sensitive if they didn't like it. When it was popular, it unfortunately set a certain tone and defined interactions for white and Indian Americans culturally, which Indian folks have spent years getting over and trying to redefine.

And then you get pages of people arguing that he's not so bad because he owned the drat Kwik-E-Mart, so he's an entrepeneur! I mean drat guys, way to Miss The Point and be obtuse. It's about how even media that 'doesn't seem so bad' can have a cultural effect, even when you're just being casually ignorant instead of maliciously so.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Dec 29, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

If you can't see what the problem is with Apu, a cartoon man in a world of stereotype people, being the most three dimensional Indian character on television, I'm not sure what to say. That's what The Problem With Apu talks about, it's that Apu was one of the only representations of Indian folks on TV for a while, and he was written and voiced by white dudes who mostly made 'lol Indian people are different/cheap/tacky' jokes. It unintentionally defined how Indian folks are to a lot of Americans, and it led to a whole generation of white Americans thinking it was funny calling their Indian friends/neighbors 'Apu' and then calling them overly sensitive if they didn't like it. When it was popular, it unfortunately set a certain tone and defined interactions for white and Indian Americans culturally, which Indian folks have spent years getting over and trying to redefine.

And then you get pages of people arguing that he's not so bad because he owned the drat Kwik-E-Mart, so he's an entrepeneur! I mean drat guys, way to Miss The Point and be obtuse. It's about how even media that 'doesn't seem so bad' can have a cultural effect when you're just being casually ignorant instead of maliciously so.

I get what you're saying, but the show is full of stereotypically awful people of multiple races. Ironically the only race that doesn't have an awful character is Black. Which could be by design since there might actually be consequences for writing such a stereotype for African-Americans. Obviously that also implies the writers didn't care if they offended Indians.

It's a tricky subject. The show's writers are definitely responsible for the stereotype they helped perpetuate, but the show is full of stupid White stereotypes as well. They need to be graded on some kind of curve over the fact they were the only show with a regular Indian character for decades. But for that to happen the character needs to change.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Dec 29, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The show's even made fun of white American ignorance on the topic. 'Are you sure you don't want to come? It's a Civil War re-enactment, we're gonna need lots of Indians to shoot!'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember thinking for years that "I Like Trucking" was just a silly song, and I was quite amused when my dad informed me, "Actually, that was a parody of ads for Yorkie bars."

Nearly all the songs are like that - funny by themselves, much funnier with the context. Nice Video, Shame About The Song is ripping on New Wave and especially Krautrock videos like this; Supa Dupa is of course ABBA; and I'm A Headbanger and I Like Bouncing are archetypal TV performances by heavy metal and punk bands. The only two I can think of that aren't are Oh Bosanquet, which is obscure these days in a way the Ayatollah Song isn't, and Kinda Lingers which was an excuse to say a prohibited word as many times as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Nearly all the songs are like that - funny by themselves, much funnier with the context. Nice Video, Shame About The Song is ripping on New Wave and especially Krautrock videos like this; Supa Dupa is of course ABBA; and I'm A Headbanger and I Like Bouncing are archetypal TV performances by heavy metal and punk bands. The only two I can think of that aren't are Oh Bosanquet, which is obscure these days in a way the Ayatollah Song isn't, and Kinda Lingers which was an excuse to say a prohibited word as many times as possible.

"Gob On You" was the punk parody (the first time I saw it, I thought the bit where it zooms out and there's a string quartet in evening dress playing with them was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen); "I Like Bouncing" was the Specials/Madness parody.