Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much of The Adventures of Tintin was Moffat and how much was Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Moffat has literally never given a good payoff to his Clever Hints. Like, not even once, in his entire career.

The s5 finale paying off the weirdly out of place scene in one of the angels episodes was good but that’s gotta be the only one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Moffat has literally never given a good payoff to his Clever Hints. Like, not even once, in his entire career.

Don't you have a kiss for Mommy? :v:

That was such a dumb scene. Good idea for the reveal, poorly executed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BioEnchanted posted:

Don't you have a kiss for Mommy? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ghvVizwXc

?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

How much of The Adventures of Tintin was Moffat and how much was Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish?

Not only was Moffat only the third guy to those two, Stephen Speilberg was the director who could and would excise poo poo from a script if he wanted.

So you know, that's about the role Moffat needs. Sandwiched between two even better writers and supervised by a level headed person

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moffat was the one chosen by Jackson and Spielberg to write the script. It was only when he accepted the Who role that he left.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Moffat was the one chosen by Jackson and Spielberg to write the script. It was only when he accepted the Who role that he left.

That doesn't detract from what I said.

Moffat needs supervision and other people helping him. When he's on his own he COULD do some good things, or he could do poo poo like half of his run.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The problem is his “twists” is that they are either telegraphed so hard from the get-go that they’re underwhelming once they do happen, or they’re introduced as a catchphrase out of the blue and become so comically stupid before the nonsensical payoff happens.

Like, every time someone in Series 9 mentioned the word “hybrid”, they might as well have turned to the camera with a “dun dun dun!” musical cue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Not only was Moffat only the third guy to those two, Stephen Speilberg was the director who could and would excise poo poo from a script if he wanted.

So you know, that's about the role Moffat needs. Sandwiched between two even better writers and supervised by a level headed person

I watched it yesterday and there was a lot of dialogue that felt very Moffat. A lot of the speeches Captain Haddock makes feel a lot like stuff he wrote for Capaldi.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Like, every time someone in Series 9 mentioned the word “hybrid”, they might as well have turned to the camera with a “dun dun dun!” musical cue.

That was necessary though, because how could he have the twist that "the hybrid" isn't actually important if people don't understand that "the hybrid" is important?

The problem there was that noone gave a poo poo

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I remember the days when we all loved Moffat

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I was referencing the final twist in Moffat-written series Jeckyll - the twist was that the villain was his mother all along - she also had a Jeckyll/Hyde syndrome. The american redhead that ran the evil organisation was her Hyde.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Unfetered One posted:

We're in the downswing of the cycle. Give it a year or so and we'll all be fondly reminiscing about him

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Unfetered One posted:

What, 2007?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when he had an affectionate nickname? Grand Moff something?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

That was entirely down to Trin

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What, 2007?

I’m pretty sure 2011 was the last time he was universally acclaimed on SA.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I’m pretty sure 2011 was the last time he was universally acclaimed on SA.

Not by me

[edit]

I've liked 2, maybe 3 episodes he's penned since Blink

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhyno posted:

He used to bid us dark greetings. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I liked Moffat until Pandorica/The Big Bang. I’ve never understood the acclaim for those episodes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

look around furtively, and tenses, ready to dive for cover

(whispering) i still like moffat

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Smiths first series and Capaldi’s last were the only ones where Moffat’s series arcs were good and satisfying. The rest of the time they really dragged the rest of the show down. Clara’s character was pretty much ruined by the mystery plots. And I still find River Song very irritating, and he just could not let her go. Amy and Rory hung around for too long too, and the resolution of the “where’s Amy’s baby” plot is incredibly awful. And the Doctors Victorian pals were driven into the ground.

Having said all that he still wrote a good amount of really good episodes. The 50th anniversary episode is still wonderful. Just a shame most of his output as showrunner was tedious poo poo I could never bring myself to care about like the hybrid or the impossible girl or the silence or River or the question or whatever.

The reason I’m apprehensive about Moffat leaving despite my many problems with him, is that I’m really not confident about the new showrunner. Broadchurch series 1 was very good (haven’t watched the rest), and Whittaker was great in it, but it’s so different from Doctor Who it’s hard to compare. And then you look at Chibnalls actual Doctor Who episodes, it’s not good. Better than Moffat at his worst, but nowhere near as good as Moffat at his best.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

docbeard posted:

So do I, grumps gonna grump, dont worry about it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burkion posted:

Moffat needs supervision and other people helping him. When he's on his own he COULD do some good things, or he could do poo poo like half of his run.

I think I agree with this. I wouldn't put every single problem his run had down to him being overwhelmed with showrunning, but I think a significant number of them can be laid at that particular doorstep.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

docbeard posted:

I think I agree with this. I wouldn't put every single problem his run had down to him being overwhelmed with showrunning, but I think a significant number of them can be laid at that particular doorstep.

Being showrunner for 8 years and only managing 6 series being the most obvious one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

Me too, the show was far better and more consistent under him than RTD (though RTD's dizzying highs and disastrous lows had their own wonderful charm) and it is sad to see him go - it did feel like it was definitely time for him to move on though, and even if Chibnall's own contributions to Who have been fairly ho-hum to date, he's done so well elsewhere that I'm really hopeful it was only because he was trying to ape RTD and Moffat's style and NOW he'll finally be able to produce quality. He certainly started well with,"Aw, brilliant!"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

remusclaw posted:

The last lesson Doctor Who should ever teach is that humans are too fragile to do good and that you should leave the heroism to the immortal space wizards.

I think there's a difference between "don't try to do good" and "don't be completely reckless with your life while doing good because you're not an immortal space wizard"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I enjoyed this Christmas episode, it's also one of those ones where I've instantly forgotten the overall plot. I will say, if I was the Doctor, it would get old having an epic William Shatner-esque Shakespearean death thing every few years or so (in TV time). Would've been funny if for a change of pace, Capaldi's Doctor was just casual about the whole thing instead.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Remember in 2009 when we were all up in arms about only getting 4 specials and not a full series?

Ah, the memories.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

docbeard posted:

Jerusalem posted:

Me too, the show was far better and more consistent under him than RTD
f... friends :unsmith:

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing with Clara.

Like, honestly.

Clara was only a character in season 8. She had the school, she had Danny, she had aspirations beyond the Doctor and a character arc

Before season 8 she's a glorified plot device that wildly changes from episode to episode to fit whatever is needed

After season 8 she's just a confused mess because Moffat got so wrapped up in his SET UP THINGS THAT DON'T MATTER IN THE BLUNTEST WAY POSSIBLE gimmick of the season that she didn't actually get a proper character arc.

The signs were pointing to her dying and being suicidal from early on but then that didn't actually happen but then it did but not in the way it was building up to and all of the build up of the Doctor traveling with her not always being the same chronologically was just kind of tossed

And she as a character regressed hard with only flashes of her actual personality she found in 8. She went back to The Every Companion, Buy One Today

And then she gets an overwrought and overblown death scene that is just comical and not at all appropriate only for the solid three minutes of her dying to get undone the episode after we spend an entire episode mourning her.

Basically the idea of Clara is great.

The reality of Clara is flawed, confused and kind of a mess.

I disagree with most of this but I will never deny that S7 Clara was a nightmare. S8-9 Clara was tops.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvK6KsLkPUs

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Soothing Vapors posted:

f... friends :unsmith:

I disagree with most of this but I will never deny that S7 Clara was a nightmare. S8-9 Clara was tops.

S7 Clara is also good, just not as good as she could have been. Part of that was by design but using the Doctor's myopia as a lens for the program ultimately did Clara a disservice.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Clara is best.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So this:

had a follow up:

https://twitter.com/BriggsNicholas/status/946804943050199045

https://twitter.com/ManningOfficial/status/946844487241801728

https://twitter.com/ManningOfficial/status/946832019882774528

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

marktheando posted:

Being showrunner for 8 years and only managing 6 series being the most obvious one.

"I've been denied two years of Who!" was a frequent refrain of Ian Levine, as I remember. On that basis I'm happy to have forfeited two dozen episodes just to annoy him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

"I've been denied two years of Who!" was a frequent refrain of Ian Levine, as I remember. On that basis I'm happy to have forfeited two dozen episodes just to annoy him.

There was the one time he cried that Moffat had lied to him when he told him one year we were going to get 13 eps and X-mas ep, and it turned out to be 12 eps and a X-Mas ep.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

docbeard posted:

He lost me with Let's Kill Hitler, then won me back a bit with the 50th, then I was up and down for a bit and was won back properly with Last Christmas. Some other stuff improved on a rewatch as well. Who knows, maybe this Christmas special will too

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I forgot about Let's Kill Hitler

I think my brain tries to protect me from how bad Who is most of the time

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I super love Let's Kill Hitler and don't understand why you all hate it. I suspect part of this is that my first exposure to Who was the 50th and I got to marathon everything leading up to it after, so I didn't wait months and speculate endlessly and build up expectations. I got to just plow on through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Hi again everyone!

I just finished with Capaldi's run. I'm taking a look now at the OP's list of classic Doctor serials and will check them out.

On the whole, I'm probably not as super down on Moffat as the lot of you. He reads better when you binge i think. His little mystery boxes get dealt with quickly and seem less random. That said, he falls into the same patterns and they get tedious. Capaldi was able to elevate a lot of drek into watchability. He's definitely my favorite modern doctor (Tennant is a close second, and I'm very upset about only having one series of Eccleston. I never fully warmed up to Smith, even though he got Moffat's best efforts - series 5 was really good)

• Locked thread