Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Mass Effect refined them by dropping them and becoming Gears of War.

Wasn't necessarily a bad thing

Re played the entire trilogy before Andromeda came out (and then didn't play Andromeda because lol) and man mass effect 1 was so unfun to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I wonder what the critical and popular reception of Breath of the Wild would've been like if it wasn't a Zelda game. I've seen arguments that the game wouldn't have been praised nearly as highly, but I'm not sure I agree completely.

I suspect it would've been torn to shreds over its combat (awful damage vs. defense balance, HP sponge enemies, hearty food completely annihilating any chance of combat balance) and much fewer people would give it the benefit of the doubt over the weapon durability system. I think there'd be less excitement about it being as wide open and "adventurous" as it is--if it doesn't have the context of several extremely linear 3D Zelda games behind it, the contrast isn't as stark. On the other hand, if it wasn't a Zelda game, there wouldn't have been any expectations about elaborate dungeons, a large arsenal of puzzle-solving items, or puzzle-like boss fights, and probably less disappointment over the lighter narrative and nearly-absent music, too. I don't know that it would've evened out, but I still think it would've been praised for a lot of things.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Endorph posted:

his score is actually way too high that game is like a 6/10 if review scores werent fake. its a very average iteration on ocarina of time with a couple of decent dungeons but some annoying presentational issues.

the wolf part at the start went on wayyyy too loving long and midna was such an off-putting character I could barely get past the first few dungeons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jeff Gerstmann has said before that they do it this way, and show every minute of deliberations, to show how arbitrary and political the editorial lists from sites and magazines really are and that they are really not something to put faith in as gospel

Old Sites and magazines like those have less readers/influence than ever in 2017/2018 so its just where the gb staff poo poo on good games. Nobody even knows or cares if ign even made a top 10 list this year.

On a personality driven site, 35 hrs of podcasts that make you hate the people seems like an idea whos time is up

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 2, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The argument that "This wouldn't be liked if it wasn't the thing it was" is Dumb in my imo. Removing all context from this thing specifically takes away an innate thing about it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

twilight princess is like they decided to make ocarina of time but with a bigger emphasis on story but also with less fun writing. had some cool moments but jesus christ i can't think of a zelda story i care less about and yes i've played phantom hourglass

Phantom Hourglass kicks rear end.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The Colonel posted:

sorry but it's time to hunt down the guy who gave god hand a 3/10

Tattoo a Kick Me sign onto his back

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

The argument that "This wouldn't be liked if it wasn't the thing it was" is Dumb in my imo. Removing all context from this thing specifically takes away an innate thing about it

I'm sorry son you can't play Zelda cause you haven't played the others and you will miss out on the innate something of it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Harrow posted:

Sometimes I wonder what the critical and popular reception of Breath of the Wild would've been like if it wasn't a Zelda game. I've seen arguments that the game wouldn't have been praised nearly as highly, but I'm not sure I agree completely.

I suspect it would've been torn to shreds over its combat (awful damage vs. defense balance, HP sponge enemies, hearty food completely annihilating any chance of combat balance) and much fewer people would give it the benefit of the doubt over the weapon durability system. I think there'd be less excitement about it being as wide open and "adventurous" as it is--if it doesn't have the context of several extremely linear 3D Zelda games behind it, the contrast isn't as stark. On the other hand, if it wasn't a Zelda game, there wouldn't have been any expectations about elaborate dungeons, a large arsenal of puzzle-solving items, or puzzle-like boss fights, and probably less disappointment over the lighter narrative and nearly-absent music, too. I don't know that it would've evened out, but I still think it would've been praised for a lot of things.
It would be considered one of the very best games of all time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

Phantom Hourglass was my first Zelda game.

I loved it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I'm sorry son you can't play Zelda cause you haven't played the others and you will miss out on the innate something of it.

i dont think this is the point being made but okay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It would be considered one of the very best games of all time.

If some game company put the time and money into making a game with the scope and art direction of BOTW without also attaching a recognizable brand to it to ensure a cushion of guaranteed financial success, people would be astounded, yeah

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

It was p.bad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I don't want to even think about how good horizon was and how bad it got ignored

In general Horizon seems to be getting short ended on a ton of goty lists, given how good it was.

The most annoying thing I saw was an AV Club article that was about how Nintendo had given life to the dying open world genre last year, and it opened by ragging on Horizon, based more on early assumptions then what the game was actually like.

I think part of the problem is Horizon on the surface looks exactly like every by the numbers open world game and that's as far as ,oat game journalists give a poo poo about. Like when you play it you see it actually puts effort into all that stuff so it's good. You might see high up places to unlock the map and bandit camps to clear out and think you know what this is but in actual execution both those things rare oddly amazingin Horizon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nah its cute and fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

If some game company put the time and money into making a game with the scope and art direction of BOTW without also attaching a recognizable brand to it to ensure a cushion of guaranteed financial success, people would be astounded, yeah

I mean that's Horizon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Let's not forget the other open world game of 2017, sniper ghost warrior 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i once watched a "top 10 zelda villains" video and one entry was just a picture of linebeck with windows movie maker text in front of it saying "I HATE THIS GUY HE WAS SUCH A JERK AND THEN HE BECAME THE FINAL BOSS"

at least, i think this happened once

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

That's not at all what I was saying. I'm saying that context naturally affects how people perceive media, and something being a Zelda game carries a ton of expectations and baggage that unavoidably affects an individual's perception of it (and, by extension, the wider perception). Not like, "you can't truly appreciate Breath of the Wild unless you've played other Zelda games," but rather, "I wonder what people who have zero Zelda-related expectations would think of Breath of the Wild."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zelda didnt have enough zelda in it for me

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Phourglass was alright but I was never fully sold on everything being touch controls being necessary (though a few things were neat) and I also didn't really like the repeated dungeon and thought the game made you go there at least two times too many

Still, I'll take is over Skyward Sword any day of the week

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Has Giant Bomb produced any content funnier than the P4 Endurance Run?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Does the thread here count?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

I would have liked it more if I wasn't expecting it to be a Zelda game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

austin walker got a job at waypoint through having worked at giant bomb and then approved an underage crossdressing fetish fic for publication, does that count as content

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I think we're going to be in a bit of a 'video games comedy' downturn until Ubisoft releases a game that lets you hunt and murder religious white folk and then oh boy is there gonna be some comedy coming.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0VbwqG7qs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I think we're going to be in a bit of a 'video games comedy' downturn until Ubisoft releases a game that lets you hunt and murder religious white folk and then oh boy is there gonna be some comedy coming.

No, you see, the cult also has black people in it. They're just crazy, not racist or anything like that and certainly not associated with white nationalism. Also the Christian priest is one of your allies

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No, you see, the cult also has black people in it. They're just crazy, not racist or anything like that and certainly not associated with white nationalism. Also the Christian priest is one of your allies

So much accuracy on ancient Egypt and then they drop the ball on getting modern day Montana correct.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I would have liked it more if I wasn't expecting it to be a Zelda game

Yeah totally. Survival boy in "shrine loading times" would have been much better

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Giant Bomb GOTY podcasts #1 through #4 were a godsend while I was driving 16 hours from New York to Florida this weekend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onr93McYeJ4

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Endorph posted:

when was the last time anyone used 'nerd' unironically

[the matrix loading room scene with the guns but it's all tea's posts]

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God, that Tender Loving Care playdate. I'll never be able to forget it no matter how much I'd like to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

God, that Tender Loving Care playdate. I'll never be able to forget it no matter how much I'd like to.

Welcome to the penis farm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The trials in Danganronpa are wild

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Umineko & Ace Attorney basically ruined Danganronpa for me with regards murder mystery VNs. I played the first two games and couldn't help but feel super ambivalent towards them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm going to put my hand on your shoulder, and say maybe it's time to stop thinking about a twenty year old video game review.

Breath.

Breath again.

and let go.

Begin again

Smash Bros Melee getting a 2.5 out of 10 never forget.

(And I don't even think that Melee is like, the best or anything.)

• Locked thread