Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think 6 isn't all that bad mechanically when you learn it, either, but mercs mode is the only way i play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

I think 6 isn't all that bad mechanically when you learn it, either, but mercs mode is the only way i play it.

They just took away a lot of feeling of teamwork from 2 player. In 5 you could do melee moves off of your teammate's crippling shots. In 6 they they made it to where you could only do "openers" for melee moves on your own shots and you could only combo off of your teammate's first melee attack after their shot.

They also took away options. 5 had Head, Arm front, Arm, Back, Leg Front, Leg Back, and grounded (stomp etc.) whereas 6 only has head and arm and they turned ground kills into simply holding the button. They tried to spruce it up a bit with counters and environmental kills, but the game can only remain exciting for so long when all you're doing it pressing square to counter the same move and shoving an undead hand in a microwave was maybe only half-funny the first time. It's a loving mess and I hate it.

The only good thing 6 had was Jake's melee battle system. That poo poo was fun on a bun ,especially if you played Wesker in 5.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Twelve Batmans posted:

They just took away a lot of feeling of teamwork from 2 player. In 5 you could do melee moves off of your teammate's crippling shots. In 6 they they made it to where you could only do "openers" for melee moves on your own shots and you could only combo off of your teammate's first melee attack after their shot.

They also took away options. 5 had Head, Arm front, Arm, Back, Leg Front, Leg Back, and grounded (stomp etc.) whereas 6 only has head and arm and they turned ground kills into simply holding the button. They tried to spruce it up a bit with counters and environmental kills, but the game can only remain exciting for so long when all you're doing it pressing square to counter the same move and shoving an undead hand in a microwave was maybe only half-funny the first time. It's a loving mess and I hate it.

The only good thing 6 had was Jake's melee battle system. That poo poo was fun on a bun ,especially if you played Wesker in 5.

I don't disagree that five is better but I mostly do mercs solo.

I think the stamina system made 6 a pain in the rear end so you could only do counter-counter-counter type stuff.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

dont even fink about it posted:

It took them til RE 6 to fix this IIRC and 5 received tons of criticism for its 90's controls.

This discussion just happened in another thread (Star Citizen maybe) and I feel like im on the moon here. I dont know what universe all of you ppl who didnt like RE4s controls are coming from. Even if theyre a little outdated 10 years after the fact everyone lumping in how RE4 and 5 controls with 1-3 have to be nuts.

I mean, id say RE4 and 5 controlled great, and I literally have never heard any complaints about the controls in a non-pre rendered RE game until last week or so

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Meme Emulator posted:

This discussion just happened in another thread (Star Citizen maybe) and I feel like im on the moon here. I dont know what universe all of you ppl who didnt like RE4s controls are coming from. Even if theyre a little outdated 10 years after the fact everyone lumping in how RE4 and 5 controls with 1-3 have to be nuts.

I mean, id say RE4 and 5 controlled great, and I literally have never heard any complaints about the controls in a non-pre rendered RE game until last week or so

They're a big step up from the originals, though the control scheme was a bit dated when 5 dropped.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Also to go back to the topic of the thread: Everyone who hates tank controls is silly, theyre intuitive and easy to understand. Up makes you go forward, this isnt rocket science

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If you continue to hold up, you continue to go forward even if there has been a camera change. Thats all there is to it. Thats how it works. Its incredibly simple.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

That's basically what I was saying to that quoted poster. 5 did not have a 90's control scheme, it had a 00's control scheme that was developed for the game before it. And yeah it played perfectly fine, even a little tighter than 4. I mean, presentation/story-wise 5 was kinda terrible but I can't agree with anyone who calls that system difficult to conceive or control. It might have been old by the time 5 dropped, but why fix what ain't broke?

Edit: Also yes I agree- tank controls are perfectly fine and if you can't wrap your ahead around them I'm sorry for your brain disorder.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
6 sucks because they took away weapon upgrading which was one of the most fun systems in 4 and 5

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

It's a control scheme devised in the 90's for games with fixed perspective and gameplay that takes all that into account. It's not good or bad as much as it is very old by the time RE5 rolls around and people have played Gears of War 1 and 2 and know there is a better way.

That 6 fucks up other things doesn't make 5's controls suddenly good.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Meme Emulator posted:

If you continue to hold up, you continue to go forward even if there has been a camera change. Thats all there is to it. Thats how it works. Its incredibly simple.

Tank controls are cool and fun in 2 dimensions but disorienting and clunky for character movement in 3 dimensions. Unless of course you are controlling a literal tank and not a person.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I thought the Shadow the Hedgehog game was fine. Playing with guns and motorcycles and stuff in a Sonic game was goofy as hell and a lot of fun, and the way the game was only a few hours long but still had like 25 different levels you could end up in a la Star Fox '64 was really well done.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

It's a control scheme devised in the 90's

RE5 uses RE4's control scheme. RE4 was released in 2004. Stop saying things that aren't true.

I can be incredibly accurate with my movement and aiming in RE5. I don't see anything wrong the controls.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The only good control scheme ever is the two controller goldeneye setup. One controller is for total plebs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Twelve Batmans posted:

RE5 uses RE4's control scheme. RE4 was released in 2004. Stop saying things that aren't true.

I can be incredibly accurate with my movement and aiming in RE5. I don't see anything wrong the controls.

The re4 control setup is literally the re1-3 controls only the camera is different and when you aim you have a stick, I think is what they mean

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

site posted:

The re4 control setup is literally the re1-3 controls only the camera is different and when you aim you have a stick, I think is what they mean

Yes, it turns out when the camera is always facing the same direction that your character is, "press forward to move in the direction your character is facing" makes a lot more sense, you miserable pedant

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is all the whining about control schemes based on using controllers rather than the objectively superior keyboard and mouse?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

feelix posted:

Yes, it turns out when the camera is always facing the same direction that your character is, "press forward to move in the direction your character is facing" makes a lot more sense, you miserable pedant

:rolleyes:

Twelve batmans said that it wasn't true that it was a control scheme from the 90s. All I was saying was that it was. Don't blow your stack over it

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is all the whining about control schemes based on using controllers rather than the objectively superior keyboard and mouse?

yes.

idk if this is unpopular but the vehicle controls in BF1 are unbelievably bad, entering a vehicle is like playing a ps1 game.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

a bone to pick posted:

yes.

idk if this is unpopular but the vehicle controls in BF1 are unbelievably bad, entering a vehicle is like playing a ps1 game.

Would you say they're tank controls? :smug:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
no, I would say they're poo poo controls

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

feelix posted:

Ever played the original Postal?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Game controllers are better than keyboard and mouse for "bullet hell" shooters.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
RE2 on N64 had the option to not use tank controls and was much better for it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

VideoTapir posted:

Ever played the original Postal?

Yeah it was also a bad game. Of course I liked it because it was edgy and I was like 12 but it's a bad game

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

site posted:

Not an in engine thing but the ps2 had a cgi version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Thanks, that was cool.

As an aside, years ago, someone was telling me about this amazing game they were playing through. He kept calling the game "Due Sex" over and over before I figured out what the gently caress he was talking about.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

site posted:

:rolleyes:

Twelve batmans said that it wasn't true that it was a control scheme from the 90s. All I was saying was that it was. Don't blow your stack over it

If you cant see the difference between up to move forward when the camera angle changes and up to move forward when the camera is always at youre back then youre either a moron or being willfully obtuse

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

feelix posted:

Yeah it was also a bad game. Of course I liked it because it was edgy and I was like 12 but it's a bad game

If it had been WASD to move and mouse to point and shoot, or even Smash TV/Robotron style controls, it would have been a good game. It sucked the same way RE 1-3 sucked.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

4K is still not really the standard in that it costs an outrageous amount of money to play games well at that resolution, and it's not an incredible difference in the way throwing out your CRT and getting a flatscreen was.

if they werent giant, heavy pieces of poo poo i'd still prefer a CRT over a flatscreen

better blacks, no/negligible input lag, ability to play lightgun games, hell yeah shoot those electrons into my eyeballs

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Meme Emulator posted:

If you cant see the difference between up to move forward when the camera angle changes and up to move forward when the camera is always at youre back then youre either a moron or being willfully obtuse

The camera change location is so important it changes the games entire genre. I don't know how you could ignore that.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The location of the camera relative to the character changes everything about how you encounter and handle threats and also determines what inputs are optimal when trying to move away from or toward an enemy. I don't know about genre-changing, but to say it's not an inherent part of a control scheme is.. eh. It's not right.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Final Fantasy 8 is actually really good until you get past the first disc. After the first disc it’s all downhill.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Das Butterbrot posted:

if they werent giant, heavy pieces of poo poo i'd still prefer a CRT over a flatscreen

better blacks, no/negligible input lag, ability to play lightgun games, hell yeah shoot those electrons into my eyeballs

Looks like you just gotta spend another $1,000 to get those perfect blacks son

hmmm that's not a great sentence out of context.

My interest in Final Fantasy waned after Final Fantasy II/IV but was killed utterly by 8.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I liked Final Fantasy X. And I mostly hate anime.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Krustic posted:

Final Fantasy 8 is actually really good until you get past the first disc. After the first disc it’s all downhill.

I dunno, it started out pretty bad. I couldn't stomach more than maybe an hour.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I love my perfect blacks

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
On graphics and 4k: I think the problem with modern graphics isn't that they aren't incredible, it's that they aren't loving interesting

Shadow of war is a technical masterpiece but it looks like hot garbage because everything looks like it's covered in dirt/poo poo. The new mario or zelda, on the other hand, look incredible despite a bunch of obvious technical limitations

Other games like asscreed have a different problem where they were beautiful and technically amazing but they've released so many they are boring now

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my friend had a 4k monitor at the same dimensions as my 1080p one and while it did look nice, it was not nice enough for me to feel like i needed it, or even wanted to collect the gear needed to run anything at 4k

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
SD to HD had some real quality of life improvements like being able to display smaller text and still have it be readable(when the Xbox 360 was first out and HDTV was common but not yet ubiquitous, you'd occasionally see people with older TVs complain that with some games they literally couldn't read the text), and make out smaller details like background events in movies. I don't know if HD to 4k would feel like the same jump, but to be fair I'm in no position to find out because I mainly play on a PS4 for which 1080p is asking a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

abigserve posted:

On graphics and 4k: I think the problem with modern graphics isn't that they aren't incredible, it's that they aren't loving interesting

Shadow of war is a technical masterpiece but it looks like hot garbage because everything looks like it's covered in dirt/poo poo. The new mario or zelda, on the other hand, look incredible despite a bunch of obvious technical limitations

Other games like asscreed have a different problem where they were beautiful and technically amazing but they've released so many they are boring now

WipEout Omega Collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD8E5KEd5CU