Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

No, it doesn't.

Intrinsic value is a perception of true value inherent to an asset. For instance, one aspect of that value is that gold does not oxidize or corrode easily which makes it applicable (or valuable, if you will) to certain commercial and industrial applications.

If you can't understand the term you shouldn't loving use it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You sound like a bitter NoCoiner. Perhaps you can still catch the XRP train, but you're pretty late to the crypto party!

What's to be bitter about? Do you have it? Great! Hope it works out well for you.

That said, I'll tell you to go gently caress yourself in vehemence the moment you try to convince others it's a good idea to "invest".

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

Intrinsic value is a perception of true value inherent to an asset. For instance, one aspect of that value is that gold does not oxidize or corrode easily which makes it applicable (or valuable, if you will) to certain commercial and industrial applications.

If you can't understand the term you shouldn't loving use it.

lol

Gold has historical value because of its usefulness to be used as a currency and that's about it fam no one cared about its electronics applications in 1600 and if the value was solely derived from industrial applications its price would be much closer to the cost of mining.

For someone who says I don't get a term you shouldn't just rephrase the first google result and get all indignant and insulty like you know what you're about.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 8, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

lol

Gold has historical value because of its usefulness to be used as a currency and that's about it fam no one cared about its electronics applications in 1600 and if the value was solely derived from industrial applications its price would be much closer to the cost of mining.

What the gently caress are you talking about. Even in 1600 it held value as a malleable, soft, non-tarnishing rare metal for jewelry. Again, if you don't understand the term, go loving read a book.

Try Tom Nagle

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol jfc this guy

you're not gonna bait me into a huge rear end effort post at 10:30pm on a sunday esp since I'm pretty sure this was already covered earlier in the thread.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

lol jfc this guy

you're not gonna bait me into a huge rear end effort post at 10:30pm on a sunday esp since I'm pretty sure this was already covered earlier in the thread.

Lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how you get all high and mighty while quoting a definition of intrinsic value at me that has nothing to do with a commodity lol

Gold does not have a fundamental intrinsic value (since you can't do a fundamental analysis on it), there's no cash flow or future earnings or expected repayment.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 8, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

lol jfc this guy

techbro west coaster

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

gold has no intrinsic value either

it does, for like electronics purposes and stuff

I mean it's pennies on the dollar but it exists, it has a practical use

also I believe just because it had no intrinsic value during other points of history doesn't mean it that it can't have some now

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that's use value

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
ok if intrinsic value doesn't mean "value something has because it can be used for something and will always be worth something and will never be worth nothing" then I actually don't know what the term means I guess

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I sense we are confusing terms

quote:

In finance, intrinsic value refers to the value of a company, stock, currency or product determined through fundamental analysis without reference to its market value.[1]

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
they use it in electronics for a reason, right? here comes moridin, dying on another hill

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So intrinsic value in the sense you're describing is still self-referential

Like, the intrinsic value of a commodity would be determined by the inputs of the labor and that sort of thing required to produce it, right? It would be like the price that it can't go under because under that price no one would ever produce it?

Is that the definition you're using, when it comes to commodities?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nothing has value or meaning you dummies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm trying to say is that the term "intrinsic value" is not tied to a commodity or a commodity's use in economics thus its use in industry is not "instrinsic value." Intrinsic value is rights to cash flow, rights to future earnings, promises or repayment, or a fundamental value derived from a fundamental analysis which is based on those things previous and a few other specific factors.

Basically intrinsic value in finance = money guaranteed to be in my pocket by owning this asset. The asset has value "in of itself" in this sense. Then with that comes "extrinsic" value, which is the difference between the "intrinsic" value and the market price of the asset. Intrinsic value is when you have gold options in the money.

Salt Fish posted:

Nothing has value or meaning you dummies.

but yeah basically "intrinsic value" as used colloquially is a philosophy term and gold def has no value "in of itself"

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 8, 2018

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moridin920 posted:

What I'm trying to say is that the term "intrinsic value" is not tied to a commodity or a commodity's use in economics thus its use in industry is not "instrinsic value." Intrinsic value is rights to cash flow, rights to future earnings, promises or repayment, or a fundamental value derived from a fundamental analysis which is based on those things previous and a few other specific factors.

Basically intrinsic value in finance = money guaranteed to be in my pocket by owning this asset. The asset has value "in of itself" in this sense. Then with that comes "extrinsic" value, which is the difference between the "intrinsic" value and the market price of the asset. Intrinsic value is when you have gold options in the money.

but yeah basically "intrinsic value" as used colloquially is a philosophy term and gold def has no value "in of itself"

Youre using that term ONLY as applied to finance and financial instruments rather than economic theory - which is the basis of our difference.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If gold had been unknown until the 19th century (somehow) it would probably just be an industrial metal, which is I think what y'all are dickering over. There is no inherent quality to gold that makes it somehow the ultimate money other than cultural baggage - it has a couple aspects that make it a reasonable tool for coining money in antiquity situations, of course.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's crypto

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If gold wasn't a historical store of value, its economic use value of it wouldn't be zero...it just would be very low and nowhere close to its current value (maybe close to tin).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

crypto is more like uranium, managing it is a hassle, it gives you ball cancer, and North Korea wants it

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Its not gold you are thinking of, Its food and shelter. Most everything else is "fiat"

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

as your financial advisor I advise you to buy Tether, i've got a good feeling 1 per dollar is just the floor

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Whoops, another little hiccup! Crypto just lost $50b+ in market cap in like 6 hours.

Currency of the future.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Really the only thing that will function as a currency if poo poo really hits the fan are dick pills.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Really dislike the way "market cap" is being thrown around. For currency, money supply is a better term although still flawed.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The "market caps" of multiple cryptos and the "value" of a lot of people's investments dropped a third after korean exchanges got removed from coinmarketcap.com stats due to huge price discrepancies. Butters still try their best to maintain faith in the numbers.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

if you think about it, only heroin is the future currency for when the globalists lose and fiat is (finally) gone forever. invest in heroin today

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I love that each of these very fake currencies get their own version of a fake gold coin in the news.

I hope this goes on long enough for some old person to ask how they can exchange their online bitcoins for real coins. I won't lie, those are actually very sexy looking.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Bitcoin learned a valuable lesson from Star Citizen. It's all about the .jpgs.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Nessus posted:

crypto is more like uranium, managing it is a hassle, it gives you ball cancer, and North Korea wants it
wow i'm standing right here

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

We live in the parody timeline, and there's a big sale on atm. Come get some money that computers had a dream about because gently caress it

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

electrum wallets hacked, china shutting down mining

this is good for bitcoin

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

insulated staircase posted:

electrum wallets hacked, china shutting down mining

this is good for bitcoin

It’s just the free market at work 🤷🏻‍♂️

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Really dislike the way "market cap" is being thrown around. For currency, money supply is a better term although still flawed.

Market cap is actually a great term to use for crypto because it highlights that the only real usage case of crypto is an investment vehicle as opposed to a legitimate currency

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nessus posted:

If gold had been unknown until the 19th century (somehow) it would probably just be an industrial metal, which is I think what y'all are dickering over. There is no inherent quality to gold that makes it somehow the ultimate money other than cultural baggage - it has a couple aspects that make it a reasonable tool for coining money in antiquity situations, of course.
But it's historical value is due to it's limited supply, effort based extraction, and immutability. It wasn't accidentally a currency.

In the modern era even gold can be a poor store of value based on these properties because mining technology constantly devalues it and radiological processes are modern alchemy that can remove it's immutability. I propose we should find a better philosophical ideal store of value. Imagine if you will gold that we know was forged in the first supernovas of the universe. This fixes the supply across all of existence and we use our human rationality to rule other radiological processes as debasing the value of this purestrain gold.

Please stay tuned for my ICO on purestrain coin.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Moridin920 posted:

gold has no intrinsic value either

You could fill a sock with gold bars and turn it into a flail to bludgeon bandits with when the apocalypse comes. I like that application of it :peanut:

Also reminds me of this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gold is a bit of a special case in that it does carry a lot of historical value from being used as a currency for so long and yeah that's because it has some special properties such as rarity, malleability, non-oxidation, etc. It was useful for coinage.

The point is still that it only is valued so highly because of perception so if your argument is that fiat is worthless because there's nothing intrinsic behind it other than people all agreeing it has value well gold is the exact same.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

wide stance posted:

The desperate, envious rancor in this thread is a sign that it's not a bubble.

If it was a bubble then there wouldn't be an obsessed animosity against it, it'd just simply take care of itself like anything that is wholly true. There has been plenty of doomsday news posted, which should have have popped it long ago.

That's a terrible post, but some perspective on why someone poops on buttcoins.

I love hunting for bubbles that are on the verge of a collapse trying to find an opportunity for short-term investments. That's why I'm watching these retarded buttcoins. If I just wanted to make money for money's sake, I would be putting a few bucks into every coin launch the moment they go live and then cashing out before the people running it mysteriously disappear into the night. For some reason I'm retarded so instead of making a lot of money putting cash into every new cryptocoin IPO and then shorting immediately before they disappear, I'm looking for the swings. But that's what I do.

There were a metric fuckton of people who were against the housing bubble for years, so don't pretend that people weren't all over that one too. I know I called that one hard, lots of people did. Sadly I didn't have the money to make side bets at that time. Terrible poorly sourced infographic: Housing beats inflation by like 1% per decade, and that's if you ignore utility bills and maintenance. Hot commodity, bro.

The problem is that there's no limit to human stupidity, so you really need some poo poo to go down before anyone starts taking notice. All the people mortgaging their houses to buy buttcoins are exactly that. You know that scene in The Big Short when the guys are going out to find that the supposed AAA-backed mortgages have all foreclosed so the securities are actually running on fumes, and there are goddamn ghost towns where the investments are supposed to be?

quote:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/study-22-of-bitcoin-investors-used-borrowed-money-for-trading-not-recommended
According to LendEDU, a personal loan research firm, more than 18 percent of Bitcoin investors have used borrowed money to trade the cryptocurrency.
[...]
But 22 percent of traders revealed that they have not paid off their credit and debit cards after purchasing Bitcoin, effectively investing in the cryptocurrency with borrowed money.

I'd be gearing up my whole life savings to invest in the next dip with every goddamn cent I could blow someone for.... if not for the fact that Bitcoin could become practically worthless at any moment. Wallets might get cracked, there could be another MtGox that finally shatters confidence, government regulation is increasing, and this tax season is going to be a motherfucker by the looks of it.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

Gold is a bit of a special case in that it does carry a lot of historical value from being used as a currency for so long and yeah that's because it has some special properties such as rarity, malleability, non-oxidation, etc. It was useful for coinage.

The point is still that it only is valued so highly because of perception so if your argument is that fiat is worthless because there's nothing intrinsic behind it other than people all agreeing it has value well gold is the exact same.

Diamonds are a better example. Something to the effect of, if not for the international crime monopoly governing them, diamonds would be mounted to the tips of every drill bit and chisel because they're very useful for cutting but also very common. Blue diamonds were at one time a contender as transistors in computers, as seen in the documentary movie Congo. No, like, for serious. Except for the mutant ape part.

And silver, a great conductor used widely today. Copper is already in use everywhere since it isn't too valuable as a currency to be removed from usage.

And, and, and...

There is a real and important difference between say precious metal and green slips of paper denoting currency. You're right that it's not enough to explain the Gold Stardard Liber-Tards, but it is worth acknowledging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can't we make like actual diamonds in the lab now? Why aren't drill bits covered in those?

Is it still really expensive to do?