Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. I just looked it up and American Beauty won five Oscars. The only thing that stopped it from getting the "Big Five" clean sweep was that Annette Bening didn't win Best Actress (lost to Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was always in the minority in that I never found South Park all that funny past a few episodes (Lord of the Rings, WoW, Nintendo) and never got the fuss about it but, man, that poo poo took off like wild fire. It was almost Simpsons levels for a while but the writing was never clever and certainly not subtle, which is how I prefer my humor.

For a while, I chalked it all up to personal taste and presumed that I was the one out of the loop on what's funny - which I guess I was and still am, really.

There's Something About Mary and Baseketball have held up terribly, while Office Space, KotH, Idiocracy and Beavis & Butthead seem to hold pretty solid ground. Seems to me that Mike Judge has always had the eye for social satire that Matt and Trey always wished they had, where they substituted edgy poo poo designed to offend in place of real satire.

Further, on the subject of animation, I hate Family Guy, American Dad and Bob's Burgers and never got why they're funny.

Have you seen the latest episodes or just the ones from the premiere? Season one of Bob's Burgers is very much "edgy" South Park style humor but starting in Season 3 the humor became much more character driven and they started fleshing out the background characters. They also switched to the more expensive cel-based animation from the pirated version of Flash they were using before. Seasons 1-2 and Seasons 3+ of Bob's Burgers may as well be different shows. Seasons 1 & 2 are probably good candidates for this thread.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Jan 8, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Season 1 of Bob's Burgers: In this episode Bob becomes the pimp of several transgendered sex workers. Do you get it? They're trans prostitutes. See? They're whores AND they're trans. AND BOB'S THEIR PIMP lol.

Season 8 of Bob's Burgers: Our Christmas special is about making sure Christmas celebrations are inclusive of the LGBT community. When will the police stop harassing the gay community?

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

American Beauty is perhaps the worst because instead of finding another cushy gig, he gets a fast food job, which in real life would be soul crushingly awful. How many McDonald’s employees do you see at the grill grinning away? The novelty would soon wear off. But apparently taking a lovely job is really sticking it to the man.

The guy in Fight Club actually had a job that sounded pretty interesting. And he got to travel a lot. But oh no, it’s all so unfulfilling and meaningless.

Fight Club holds up pretty well since it's about toxic masculinity and finding meaningless escapes to embrace it and hold it up as importance, it's like the MRA movement in a nutshell. The problem is those same types of people watch it and see the main character as a hero instead of the pathetic dangerous waste of a person he is

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please dont overlook that in American Beauty he gets a severance package worth $60,000 when he gets fired, about $90,000 today.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reality Bites is probably the worst offender from this era in terms of showcasing utterly dislikeable young leads we're meant to identify with because they're not gonna sell out, mannnnn.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

oldpainless posted:

Racism is bad but I always laugh at “me so solly” and I probably always will
I watched A Christmas Carol for the first time in a couple of years and the "Deck the harrs with boughs of horry" part is both funny and, I've always thought, not insulting. Is it insulting? Am I wrong?

God Hole posted:

The whole psychopath/OCD angle of Julia Roberts' villainous husband in Sleeping With the Enemy is already pretty silly by today's standards, but it's downright hilarious when we come upon a scene that's supposed to be DRIPPING with menace, when Roberts' husband is working out intently in some kind of hate-induced trance, but instead he's just flailing around on some outdated stairmaster.

Now that things like gaslighting and Lundy Bancroft's "Why Does He Do That?" are becoming more well-known, this is a hilariously outdated portrayal of abuse, which is an interesting way of aging badly.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was always in the minority in that I never found South Park all that funny past a few episodes (Lord of the Rings, WoW, Nintendo) and never got the fuss about it but, man, that poo poo took off like wild fire. It was almost Simpsons levels for a while but the writing was never clever and certainly not subtle, which is how I prefer my humor.

For a while, I chalked it all up to personal taste and presumed that I was the one out of the loop on what's funny - which I guess I was and still am, really.

There's Something About Mary and Baseketball have held up terribly, while Office Space, KotH, Idiocracy and Beavis & Butthead seem to hold pretty solid ground. Seems to me that Mike Judge has always had the eye for social satire that Matt and Trey always wished they had, where they substituted edgy poo poo designed to offend in place of real satire.
I should watch BASEketball again, I loved it, along with Orgazmo and Cannibal: the Musical, and whatever episodes of That's My Bush! that were released. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are amazing at parodies and songwriting. South Park is great when it does parodies but that seems to be pretty rare. I never cared for South Park and hated American Beauty when it first came out so it does my heart good to see people being so critical of them both today.

Rirse posted:

Loved watching the Doctor Who episode "The Long Game" which has a subplot of one of the companions (who is from the year 2012 at the time of the episode aired in 2005) who uses a flipphone that been enhanced to dial at any point in history to their house to call his answering machine to store it.
In Romy and Michele's High school Reunion the two title characters are all excited because "You got a flip phone!" Twenty-one years later I use a flip phone and apparently this makes me a Luddite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be really interesting to get a sequel to Reality Bites which had some degree of self-awareness about the first one being "I Wish I Had Your Problems: The Movie".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Have you seen the latest episodes or just the ones from the premiere? Season one of Bob's Burgers is very much "edgy" South Park style humor but starting in Season 3 the humor became much more character driven and they started fleshing out the background characters. They also switched to the more expensive cel-based animation from the pirated version of Flash they were using before. Seasons 1-2 and Seasons 3+ of Bob's Burgers may as well be different shows. Seasons 1 & 2 are probably good candidates for this thread.

this explains why people with good taste seem to be enjoying a show i found intolerable on its release!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

trickybiscuits posted:

I watched A Christmas Carol for the first time in a couple of years and the "Deck the harrs with boughs of horry" part is both funny and, I've always thought, not insulting. Is it insulting? Am I wrong?

Now that things like gaslighting and Lundy Bancroft's "Why Does He Do That?" are becoming more well-known, this is a hilariously outdated portrayal of abuse, which is an interesting way of aging badly.

I should watch BASEketball again, I loved it, along with Orgazmo and Cannibal: the Musical, and whatever episodes of That's My Bush! that were released. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are amazing at parodies and songwriting. South Park is great when it does parodies but that seems to be pretty rare. I never cared for South Park and hated American Beauty when it first came out so it does my heart good to see people being so critical of them both today.

In Romy and Michele's High school Reunion the two title characters are all excited because "You got a flip phone!" Twenty-one years later I use a flip phone and apparently this makes me a Luddite.

My sister and her two friends used to know how to do the dance from near the end of Romy and Michele's Highschool Musical

I invented post-its

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TmyPiCwJhQ[/videos]

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jan 8, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wow. I just looked it up and American Beauty won five Oscars. The only thing that stopped it from getting the "Big Five" clean sweep was that Annette Bening didn't win Best Actress (lost to Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry).

What was Thora Birch’s role in that movie anyway? I thought it was something about Spacey as an older man seducing his daughter’s friend or whatever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cannibal: The Musical is still the best thing those two have ever made

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sarcopenia posted:

@Big Breasted Women

A LUST for BUST

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

e X posted:

That is literally every procedural ever. Even something as light hearted as Brooklyn 99 has lines about how evil defense attorneys are and subjects being routinely questioned without their lawyer present.

Sure, but SVU is particularly bad about it, with Stabler beating the poo poo out of suspects on a regular basis, not just bitching about attorneys.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

exquisite tea posted:

Reality Bites is probably the worst offender from this era in terms of showcasing utterly dislikeable young leads we're meant to identify with because they're not gonna sell out, mannnnn.

I firmly believe we are supposed to sympathize with Ben Stiller's corporate exec character since he also directed it. Might have been his way of subverting the lovely script.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arivia posted:

What was Thora Birch’s role in that movie anyway? I thought it was something about Spacey as an older man seducing his daughter’s friend or whatever.

She was the daughter. Mena Suvari was the friend.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Sure, but SVU is particularly bad about it, with Stabler beating the poo poo out of suspects on a regular basis, not just bitching about attorneys.

SVU always seemed particularly skeevy to me anyway. i'd cringe whenever an ad for SVU came on because it always felt like they were consciously promoting the horror of the featured crimes as a selling point of the show

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Fight Club more like White Club

Jazerus posted:

SVU always seemed particularly skeevy to me anyway. i'd cringe whenever an ad for SVU came on because it always felt like they were consciously promoting the horror of the featured crimes as a selling point of the show

Yeah, "Law & Order except every episode is about rape" never really appealed to me. Not judging, it's just a weird concept.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 18:13 on Jan 8, 2018

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

purple death ray posted:

Cannibal: The Musical is still the best thing those two have ever made

Close, the actual best thing they ever made is the drunk audio commentary for Cannibal

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

Almost all police procedurals end up focusing on the "How hosed up can we make the criminal this week?" element if they go on long enough.

See also: Criminal Minds.

Though in the case of SVU, it did give us the line, "Can you think of any reason why someone would want to sodomise your husband with a banana?"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I take it you've never had a job that involves frequently traveling for work.

It's not a perk unless you really love waiting around in airports and sitting in hotels in the middle of nowhere eating crappy takeout, all while barely seeing your friends, family, and significant other for weeks and weeks at a time.

I spend 2-3 months away per year, either at sea or working remotely on other projects. It's not for everyone. Much easier these days than it was in the past, though, with (relatively) cheap satellite phone and internet. But I wouldn't do an A/B rotation like some of our people do. That poo poo takes a toll on you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

Almost all police procedurals end up focusing on the "How hosed up can we make the criminal this week?" element if they go on long enough.

Though in the case of SVU, it did give us the line, "Can you think of any reason why someone would want to sodomise your husband with a banana?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was she married to the Amazing Atheist or something

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only thing I remember about law and order is the character who suddenly claimed she was being picked on due to being a lesbian. This was the first and only time up until that point her sexuality came up anywhere.

SVU just annoys me because of the aforementioned "we suspect someone of being a paedophile so everything we do is justified", which has frequently hosed over an innocent person's life, but never results in any actual consequences against the main cast.

Brooklyn 99 gets away with goofy accusations because nobody in that show is a rapist, and the cops are almost always shown as dumb and in the wrong when it happens.

Captain Holt could be wrong on everything and I'd still love him though. :allears:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

The only thing I remember about law and order is the character who suddenly claimed she was being picked on due to being a lesbian. This was the first and only time up until that point her sexuality came up anywhere.

SVU just annoys me because of the aforementioned "we suspect someone of being a paedophile so everything we do is justified", which has frequently hosed over an innocent person's life, but never results in any actual consequences against the main cast.

Brooklyn 99 gets away with goofy accusations because nobody in that show is a rapist, and the cops are almost always shown as dumb and in the wrong when it happens.

Captain Holt could be wrong on everything and I'd still love him though. :allears:

"oh sorry we thought you were a policewoman because of the short haircut and gun, we'll stop texting you crime scene photos"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, B99 gets a pass on a lot of stuff due to Holt. His sexuality is a strong part of the character informing his character, but its never the butt of a joke. Even when people are freaking out over his sex life it's because they equate it to imagining parents having sex, not because it's two dudes. :v:

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

maskenfreiheit posted:

"oh sorry we thought you were a policewoman because of the short haircut and gun, we'll stop texting you crime scene photos"

Is that really a quote from Brooklyn 99? That's really good. Which episode?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The Orville

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Wheat Loaf posted:

The criminals are all really hosed up and the detectives are all filled with self righteous anger so that the audience can be titillated without feeling guilty.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

poptart_fairy posted:

That was Serena Something-or-other on the original L&O. She was an assistant DA.

Original L&O rules, as long as we're talking about the episodes up until Briscoe's departure. SVU is too overwrought and stuck up its own rear end. CI is okay; I love Vincent D'Onofrio but there again, the episodes with his character are too centered on the character's eccentricities, and I was happy to see them bring Mike Logan in (Logan supremacy 4 lyfe, yo).

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jan 8, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Original L&O rules, as long as we're talking about the episodes up until Briscoe's departure. SVU is too overwrought and stuck up its own rear end. CI is okay; I love Vincent D'Onofrio but there again, the episodes with his character are too centered on the character's eccentricities, and I was happy to see them bring Mike Logan in (Logan supremacy 4 lyfe, yo).

How about when they brought in Jeff Goldblum as the lead for a couple of seasons?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Criminal Intent ran into the problem of D'Onofrio's character being such an effortless deductive genius that they had to make the crimes increasingly convoluted and bizarre to punch up the ca-razy twists.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

That was Serena Something-or-other on the original L&O. She was an assistant DA.

It was her last scene on the show if I recall, like she brought it up in response to her getting fired for shaky reasons. There were some good post-Brisco episodes. Dennis Farina was decent but he only lasted a couple seasons. I'd say some other episodes that definitely don't hold up are the forced "cross-brand promotion" episodes where for no reason the suspect also molested an elk in Baltimore and they suddenly have to team up with the cops from Homicide: Life on the Streets. It's just so forced even if it does (speaking of Brooklyn 99), mean screen time for a young Andre Braugher.

The few episodes of SVU I've seen suck more because it's all the cops and there's no interplay between the police and lawyers. Ice-T just sits down the suspect and tells him he's a pussy unless he confesses to three rapes. Then the guy confesses to five and the episode just ends. It's not a good L&O episode unless Jack has to convince an uncooperative wife to testify against her husband by threatening to charge her with some trumped up charge of Zeppelin Hijacking or Grave Robbing or something, if she doesn't.

Mr Luxury Yacht has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jan 8, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ice T never looks as if he understands the script.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

https://twitter.com/icetsvu/status/950321213653639168

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

https://youtu.be/H4pQBYg1vfA

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Exactly what I was hoping for.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super low effort. 0.5/10

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It was her last scene on the show if I recall, like she brought it up in response to her getting fired for shaky reasons. There were some good post-Brisco episodes. Dennis Farina was decent but he only lasted a couple seasons

I really liked the cast from the last few seasons but then they ended the show and now all that’s left is SVU where Benson is crazier than Stabler ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally getting around to continuing my rewatch of Rocko's Modern Life, after taking a break after the Christmas special. It's aged really well due to most of the jokes being about Capitalism Run Rampant, so while some of the tech is outdated, the imagery is still on point.

I especially like that they use the 2 parter Cruisin' to explore the nature of old age and just why Ira Wolfe is such an rear end in a top hat. It gives a peek at a past regret with a character he fell in love with years ago who didn't much care for him and still doesn't, and could have ended there, but just when Rocko's growing impatient with him and grumbling about Ira's behaviour an old guy at the bow of the ship feeding ducks simply and bluntly states that maybe dealing with years of loss, from memories to loved ones, results in people not being as cheerful as they used to be in their youth. It's a surprisingly sad moment.