Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I completed a Dark Elf playthrough and grabbed all their achievements and lordy it was boring as poo poo. I pretty much used just spears and darkshards my entire game. Outside of being overwhelmed by cavalry I pretty much beat everyone with next to no problems. Even the autoresolve understands how good darkshards are. If I didn't use darkshards, I was still just a better version of VCs that hotswapped monstrous infantry for Hydras. It just made me realize that they really need to revamp the roster for old factions (really they just need to re-do greenskins and VCs).

Dark elfs are the best faction and it is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any kind of "Total War for Idiots" guide I can watch/read?
I primarily need help having combat explained to me because I don't understand anything that's going on in the combat phase or what I should be doing other than just sending all my units forward.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

Tomb Kings are awesome, and if I am going to a mortal empires game, it is going to be "Khalida: The Turbomurder of Vampires" for proper justice

(also did I just read that right she gives poison to ALL her archers?)

Her lord trait is Poison Damage to all units in her army, but she does have a lot of archer buffs in addition, including a lot of ammo increases. Notably she has a passive aura which can be upgraded that gives out huge ranged unit buffs (+Ranged Damage, + Ranged AP damage, + Reload Skill) in a 40m radius around her at all times.

She also looks really strong on her Snake Mount, it basically gives her good speed/AP Damage without nerfing her very high attack/defense stats at all, and it should also work as an elevated platform to use her magic missiles from. She also seems to start the game with a free 3 use Poison Explosion attack, and really she just looks really good. All of the Tomb King Lords look great, actually.

Anyway, Khalida is interesting. It looks like they've done a good job capturing her odd TT niche of being a strong melee fighter who mostly just kinda hangs out in the backline handing out archer buffs and maybe chucking some magic missiles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any kind of "Total War for Idiots" guide I can watch/read?
I primarily need help having combat explained to me because I don't understand anything that's going on in the combat phase or what I should be doing other than just sending all my units forward.

Actually, yes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I can't wait to play Khatep and rummage through the burning ruins of Naggarond to try to find a book that will make Settra love me again.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

All her units, not just archers.

madmac posted:

Her lord trait is Poison Damage to all units in her army, but she does have a lot of archer buffs in addition, including a lot of ammo increases. Notably she has a passive aura which can be upgraded that gives out huge ranged unit buffs (+Ranged Damage, + Ranged AP damage, + Reload Skill) in a 40m radius around her at all times.

JFC :stare:

continuing at this rate, Valkia will probably solo 3 stacks on her own by the next game

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

I can't wait to play Khatep and rummage through the burning ruins of Naggarond to try to find a book that will make Settra love me again.

He was originally near the bottom of my play-me list even though I like caster lords, but I really am tempted to play the lonely Skellyman who upgrades into a death cannon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

That is always quite the concern as Settra is loving terrifying.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

madmac posted:

He was originally near the bottom of my play-me list even though I like caster lords, but I really am tempted to play the lonely Skellyman who upgrades into a death cannon.

He's also genuinely just a good person who wants to fix all this.

If the 4 TKs have different endings after finding the books, his will probably be the most optimistic/best.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4D42vMUSIM

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That's one of the reason Hams Undead rule compared to Chaos. Vampires, Tomb Kings, whatevs, they all get to make actual choices about what they want to do and why even as they deal with being some flavor of corpse. They've got real personality and aren't just puppets of a bunch of micromanaging douchebag gods.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

All my boners

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Three Kingdoms seems like the perfect opportunity to use legendary lords in a history game.

Just finished watching the trailer and I guess it's basically confirmed that they and/or heroes will be used.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wait a second this isn't the historical thread. :thunk:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yeah, can't wait for them to be ported over to Warhammer and be given dragons and jade statues and poo poo. :getin:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 10, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Yeah, can't wait for them to be ported over to Warhammer and be given dragons and jade statues and poo poo. :getin:

They were working on Thrones of Britannia and then we got Norsca. Cathay confirmed.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh, there's the Cathay expansion ya'll wanted. :hehe:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 10, 2018

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

ZearothK posted:

They were working on Thrones of Britannia and then we got Norsca. Cathay confirmed.

gently caress yea, I'd love a properly fleshed-out Cathay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Three Kingdoms seems like the perfect opportunity to use legendary lords in a history game.

Just finished watching the trailer and I guess it's basically confirmed that they and/or heroes will be used.

If Lu Bu won't be able to slaughter thousands of grunts on his own then I'll be disappointing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonna 100% pretend it's Cathay until someone ports magic into TW:TK or ports TW:TK units into TW:WH2.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

If Lu Bu won't be able to slaughter thousands of grunts on his own then I'll be disappointing.

I dunno what Guan Yu and Zhang Fei were thinking in that trailer, you do not pursue Lu Bu!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

jokes posted:

Gonna 100% pretend it's Cathay until someone ports magic into TW:TK or ports TW:TK units into TW:WH2.

I will learn modding to make kongming a wizard

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

madmac posted:

All of the Tomb King Lords look great, actually.
while this is true, i find it v triggering that the horses on the chariot of the gods are in a line and not in a box. how the heck are the chariot's scythes supposed to cut through infantry if they're occluded by a skeleton pony?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Senor Dog posted:

I will learn modding to make kongming a wizard

Inexplicably capable of casting foot of Gork.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Inexplicably capable of casting foot of Gork.

:getin:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder if Nagash as a unit will show up in any capacity for a final quest battle or to high-five Arkhan the Black after he opens the pyramid, or if he will just be relegated to a short cutscene, if that.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

blech, history. ugh. GROSS!!

i turn to the swedes when i want to be dlc-gouged on historical stuff. gimme total war: armageddon empires or something

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Soup du Journey posted:

blech, history. ugh. GROSS!!

i turn to the swedes when i want to be dlc-gouged on historical stuff. gimme total war: armageddon empires or something

bad opinion

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wonder if Nagash as a unit will show up in any capacity for a final quest battle or to high-five Arkhan the Black after he opens the pyramid, or if he will just be relegated to a short cutscene, if that.

For the final fight/cutscene there has to be at least a mention of Nagash.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Historical nerds are probably gonna be super pissed that Three Kingdoms will likely combine history with fantasy. The salt will be delightful.

I wonder who would win in a fight between Lu Bu and Grimgor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

KnoxZone posted:

Historical nerds are probably gonna be super pissed that Three Kingdoms will likely combine history with fantasy. The salt will be delightful.

I wonder who would win in a fight between Lu Bu and Grimgor.

We'll find out in Mortal Empires 2 when they do a crossover between Warhammer and historical.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hell.
Yes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited to see the political party additions of rome II, the loyalty of skaven / helfs, the food problems of skaven, and all the hero units in three kingdoms.

This is all just speculation, but they are probably going to put some of the poo poo they were testing into this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Good to get away from snorehammer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Jesus, I might be buying all three incoming pieces of Total War content so far. CA is really knocking it out of the park despite the Norsca gently caress-up, it's kinda amazing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

He's going to show up in some way, shape or form because his fortress of ultimate evil was added to the Mortal Empires campaign map.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Good to get away from snorehammer.

I've some concerns regarding the Three kingdoms setting being incompatible with the Rats meme, personally.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Christ, so much Total War this year.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
unlike armageddon empires (and much like rome), china did not have robots. or mutants. or cthulhus.

check and mate. i eagerly await your apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I still bust that game out for a couple hours every so often. Criminally underused setting. I should set an rpg there sometime.