Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question for TW:1, if I have, say, an Arsenal and Mustering Hall in the Iron Rock region, and then hire infantry via global recruitment somewhere else, will the infantry I hire benefit from the increased recruitment level of the arsenal?

If yes, what if the mustering hall is in a different province from the arsenal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Mzbundifund posted:

Question for TW:1, if I have, say, an Arsenal and Mustering Hall in the Iron Rock region, and then hire infantry via global recruitment somewhere else, will the infantry I hire benefit from the increased recruitment level of the arsenal?

If yes, what if the mustering hall is in a different province from the arsenal?

Nope. Global recruitment doesn't benefit from any experience bonuses except those of characters or specifically factionwide bonuses. Province-specific experience bonuses like the Arsenal only apply to local recruitment in that province.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Soup du Journey posted:

blech, history. ugh. GROSS!!

i turn to the swedes when i want to be dlc-gouged on historical stuff. gimme total war: armageddon empires or something

Panzeh posted:

Good to get away from snorehammer.

Speaking of,

The entire announcement post is minable for salt until the heat-death of the universe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:supaburn: THEY RUINED THE QUOTE AAARGH

It's, "The Empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been." That's one of the most famous first lines in literature and they butchered it.

Still real exited to see what they come up with though. The Three Kingdoms is one of the last epics that has not made it into western culture.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

why does everyone want civil war/Victorian empire/WW1 total war games, they sound miserable

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

why does everyone want civil war/Victorian empire/WW1 total war games, they sound miserable

Because they are poo poo!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

John Charity Spring posted:

Nope. Global recruitment doesn't benefit from any experience bonuses except those of characters or specifically factionwide bonuses. Province-specific experience bonuses like the Arsenal only apply to local recruitment in that province.

Alright, thanks. I won't bother building it if I have to run 20 years to get the benefit of the troops being trained there.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mzbundifund posted:

Alright, thanks. I won't bother building it if I have to run 20 years to get the benefit of the troops being trained there.

This is the solution to that problem

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=920260888

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man they even made Cao Cao look like Chen Jianbin, the actor who played him in the most recent TV adaptation and stole every scene he was in.

I hope they paid him. :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Looks interesting, but all the recent comments for that mod are begging for it to be fixed because it doesn't work since some update.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'll use any excuse to post this Cao Cao gif:

Oh, I have to go, look at the time, it's "The sun is shining directly into your army's eyes" o'clock

:v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 10, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mzbundifund posted:

Looks interesting, but all the recent comments for that mod are begging for it to be fixed because it doesn't work since some update.

Yah just saw that as well. I mean might as well enable out of date mods and give it a shot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe in an expansion pack they'll add the yellow river to the Battle of Guandu scenario.

:sigh:

For those who don't know what I mean, the battle of Guandu is one of those famous historical river battles where the river gets edited out in all the adaptations. Like the Battle of Stirling Bridge in Braveheart that omits the bridge and the river Stirling.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe in an expansion pack they'll add the yellow river to the Battle of Guandu scenario.

Pffft, you don't let silly details like the battle being more of a months long series of sieges, raids, and countersieges of riverside forts get in the way of a nice epic showdown on a featureless plain.

e: ninja-d

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

my dad posted:

I'll use any excuse to post this Cao Cao gif:

Oh, I have to go, look at the time, it's "The sun is shining directly into your army's eyes" o'clock

:v:

What movie was that gif from anyway? Also so hyped for three kingdoms

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

When you think about it, Craventails bonuses for retreat-battles is just a prototype for Lu Bu.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TwatHammer posted:

What movie was that gif from anyway? Also so hyped for three kingdoms

From the 2010 TV show it's all on YouTube.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Oh poo poo really? I'll have to check that out, What's it called?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TwatHammer posted:

Oh poo poo really? I'll have to check that out, What's it called?

Three Kingdoms. :v:

The 2010 series in particular.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Dandywalken posted:

When you think about it, Craventails bonuses for retreat-battles is just a prototype for Lu Bu.

"Do not pursue Craventail" doesn't have the same ring to it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It’s a real good show and Cao Cao rules in it

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I wonder just how salty the history people will be over this not being about the actual three kingdoms period staring the invention of the wheelbarrow.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Stephen9001 posted:

I wonder just how salty the history people will be over this not being about the actual three kingdoms period staring the invention of the wheelbarrow.

UH ACTUALLY,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just on snake lady, I'm excited but I always find ranged lords a bit underwhelming because I don't get to see them cast the earth asunder or hit a man so hard he soars like an eagle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have zero clue how to compare ranged damage and weapon damage on hybrid heroes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

I have zero clue how to compare ranged damage and weapon damage on hybrid heroes.

I think that ranged damage is damage over ten seconds.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Er, what? Ranged damage is damage per shot, same as melee is damage per hit.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Zore posted:

Er, what? Ranged damage is damage per shot, same as melee is damage per hit.

Er... actually, if you hover over the ranged damage value in the stat window, it tells you that the listed number is damage over 10 seconds, and also gives you a breakdown of the reload time and damage per shot.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I thought we were talking about the hover values, my bad.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I wish melee damage was presented the same way since there is no easy in game way to determine attack speed that I know of.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KPC_Mammon posted:

I wish melee damage was presented the same way since there is no easy in game way to determine attack speed that I know of.

I'm actually not sure if that number is showing the time between shots or the time between reload animations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fellblade posted:

I dunno what Guan Yu and Zhang Fei were thinking in that trailer, you do not pursue Lu Bu!

Looks like someone never read the book :smug:

I love that everyone's color coded the same as they are in DW. There probably some historical backing and Shu Han actually did use green for their banners and uniforms, but I prefer to believe CA just said "yo, you can't copyright dyes, lets stick to what everyone knows"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 11, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I think that ranged damage is damage over ten seconds.

Still lost tho.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Looks like someone never read the book :smug:

I love that everyone's color coded the same as they are in DW. There probably some historical backing and Shu Han actually did use green for their banners and uniforms, but I prefer to believe CA just said "yo, you can't copyright dyes, lets just stick to what everyone knows"

I mean everyone looks VERY SIMILAR to their DW counterparts, and it ends with them pursuing Lu Bu, which is the #1 catchphrase from that series.

I think CA drat well knows what they are doing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

Still lost tho.

When it says a unit's missile damage is x, that's the amount of damage that unit will deal over the span of 10 seconds of continuous fire. You can hover over the missile damage to get a breakdown of regular, AP, etc. and how many seconds it will take to reload. The damage per individual projectile and the reload speed is shown as the missile damage stat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but what does the weapon damage stat mean? How fast do they do that damage?

Gotta say I am loving the haberdashery in the graphics overhaul mods. Everybody gets new hats!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

I'm sure CA has the potential to do a decent 40k game, but I'd be less confident about it. A lot of what made Warhammer Fantasy work in Total War was that the TW games were already pretty close to a WHFB video game. Similar scale, similar mechanics, etc. Magic and flying units were major features missing from Total War, but the core of the game was already in there.

I think it would work fine for old Epic 40k, with the the Titans and all, the scale would sort of fit a Total War game better. Titans and other large war machines being the equivalent of Lords (they're big, tough, and poo poo all over smaller things) mobs of infantry and tank squadrons being the equivalent of units.

Maybe its just me being hopefull, hasn't been a decent Epic scale game since Final Liberation. I'd love to see huge Titans stomping about, all beautifully rendered in the Total War engine, frying huge swathes of enemy infantry at a time, it'd be god drat glorious.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 11, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah but what does the weapon damage stat mean? How fast do they do that damage?

Gotta say I am loving the haberdashery in the graphics overhaul mods. Everybody gets new hats!

The weapon strength stat is how much damage a unit will deal each time the unit lands a hit. The melee attack stat is their chance of hitting, and is checked against melee defense. If a unit fails its melee attack then it just doesn't do damage. Because of the chance of weapon strength dealing damage varies wildly depending on the attack and defense stats they can't really show how much damage it will do per second. I think that the only reason that they can show DPS with the missile units is because missiles have a 100% chance of dealing damage on contact and they don't directly interact with the units they're attacking. Shields are the only complication in this, but I believe that shields just provide a flat damage reduction, so it's still not quite as messy.

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4m9sdw/how_melee_attack_and_defense_armor_and_damage/

Here's a pretty in depth thread about combat calculations from around a year ago. If it's still correct, most one handed melee weapon infantry have a 3.8 second interval between the beginning of one attack animation and the beginning of their next. The interval is generally longer for two handed/AP weapons and cav units. The longest attack window is roughly 5 seconds.

In the grand scheme of things, it means that a Chaos Warrior with a shield and a Chaos Warrior with a great axe both deal the same amount of damage per second against something like, say, a Skavenslave with no armor. The great axe will do more damage against armored targets, and the shield will have much better survivability against ranged units.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 11, 2018

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Liu Bei's unit better have an animation for baby punting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I just confederated with the von Carsteins and I got a popup saying Vlad had been executed and I needed to replace him as leader of his army, and he's not showing up in the lord recruit menu. What the hell? Is this a mod?