Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Alright OP. Youve convinced me. How do I join your gang of mad max style highway warriors in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Is there a Linux version? :(

Also some forum post said that you can't get the actual SWG client from a torrent because it won't work. I'm assuming that's a lie right?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

high six posted:

Is there a Linux version? :(

Also some forum post said that you can't get the actual SWG client from a torrent because it won't work. I'm assuming that's a lie right?

Lmao fuckin' yes they have no way of telling. The only time they ask for proof is if you want to make multiple accounts.

I think i saw a linux launcher but i'm not 100% as I don't look for linux things.

Hihohe posted:

Alright OP. Youve convinced me. How do I join your gang of mad max style highway warriors in space.

My name is in the OP, add me and we'll figure things out. I'm not online at the moment but right now it's just me and someone else so no mad max style gang yet, just people trying to remember how to play a game that died a decade ago

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I used to love this game. I played basically from launch until after that NGE patch. I remember getting ganked by some rebel scum while doing an imperial mission so I looked up any local imperial faction members, offered them up some credits and formed a posse to get revenge on my killers. It resulted in a huge street fight between dozens of rebels and imperials in some bumfuck town on Naboo. People were jumping into the fight with their AT-ST's and creatures. It was utter chaos. It kicked rear end.

I'm gonna check this out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I was playing this when they made the transition from skills-based highly rpbust economy/crafting to Bad Star WoW.

One of my favorite dipshit moves is they briefly took away the ability to toggle from running to RP walking, forcing everyone to sprint everywhere, and were baffled why anyone in an mmorpg would want to walk when running is faster.

I also started a cool Stormtrooper RP guild. We used an exploit to get faction points at an increased rate to get everyone decked the gently caress out. People thought we were a dev event the first time we rolled in force into Anchorhead.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 13, 2018

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

there was a goon guild on a private vanilla wow server back in 2011 that was the legit most fun i ever had playing a video game, but i tried playing a vanilla wow server a few years ago and the community was absolutely cancer. welp thats my story!

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i actually tried this a couple years back as a weaponsmith, quickly realized no one wanted to buy my crappy weapons because the market is flooded with good ones and the established players have completely dominated the market. this applies to all craftable goods, also to the crafting materials since people hoard the good ones, using packs of bots that flood the material's location and taking samples (which is more efficient than building harvesters).

i remember hearing that bots were not allowed but you could literally walk around outside any city and eventually come to a high quality material hotspot that had dozens of completely unresponsive players surveying constantly until the material ran out

Pitdragon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 14, 2018

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I kinda want to try this but I more liked rping and killing poo poo which I doubt anyone is really doing nowadays. I still have my launch boxed copy and clue book.

I sorta miss my character though. Dairugger the Trandoshan Space Pope. I found this awesome useless white hat with gems in it that was so totally a pope hat. So I declared myself Space Pope and never took that useless rear end hat off again. As I was a scout ranger pokeyman trainer I could make camps and afk to heal 2 out of 3 black bar damage. But I had way more free time then.

How many of the theme parks are in this version? I spent many an hour in and around Jabbas Palace accomplishing fuckall.

Still, there were some good player names I ran into like Tupacca, Choadbacca, and Chronicus Tokesdabong. Very good names for the RP server yes? (My name while being that of the Japanese Vehicle Voltron is obscure and dumb enough to almost be a Star Wars name.)

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
RPing is one thing i think that you'd be fine for in this. the only times i managed to sell anything at a decent profit was when I "RP'd" the sale IE sold to some random joe in a cantina by describing the product and the process of acquiring the materials in flowery language. there were lots of player cities that took RP seriously as well when I was playing.

as far as killing poo poo, I can't really say, I had a friend who played and that's pretty much all he did though, he ended up playing longer than I did

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Theres like 4 servers, which one you on OP?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this is why playing eve with goonswarm is no fun anymore, it’s just a ton of people from reddit playing the game as designed, earnestly and unironically

there is no god but allah and karttoon is his prophet

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Goons would make a formidable force of kamikaze hyperspace pilots

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Hihohe posted:

Theres like 4 servers, which one you on OP?

Swgemu.com the basilisk server

Shoot me a message when you're on, /t kazr to send messages

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I forgot how to play. Every mob on naboo was rated instant death.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wonder if I could patch all the way from the alpha discs I have. I posted on the boards the whole time the game was in development and then never actually bought the game.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Give it a try.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

poverty goat posted:

there is no god but allah and karttoon is his prophet

inshallah, habibi

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I'll try to get ahold of the game in the next couple of days. Wouldn't mind playing

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
Any interest in getting a discord server set up?

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I forgot how to play. Every mob on naboo was rated instant death.

Not sure how game sets this up, but same for me on tatooine. even my speeder says it when i examine it. I've been able to kill lots of things around starter cities with basic weapons.

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 14, 2018

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I used my starting 1000 credits to train my first skill and now i'm broke. I don't remember how to make money.

edit: find players to train skills for you

DoctorJones fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 14, 2018

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Be sure to see player doctors for buffs. They are essential.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The buff system was weird, but maybe I didn't fully understand it. The only time I could wear a decent suit of armor was after spending almost an hour or so having buffs applied. The experience was sort of like being in a salon with occasional chat with the person applying the buff. The thing is, once I put that armor on I didn't dare take it off again unless I wanted to go through that buffing process again. From what I could tell at the time this sort of thing was the norm.

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I remember getting to grandmaster tailor (or something like that) back in the day.

Some guildmaster wanted me to do a bunch of suits for his dudes, and invited me over to his guild house for a consultation with them all.

It turned out they had to go on a raid or some poo poo, so they give me a quick rundown and left me the keys to the place to make it all while they went to pew-pew stuff. Naturally I cleaned them out.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Avicus posted:

I remember getting to grandmaster tailor (or something like that) back in the day.

Some guildmaster wanted me to do a bunch of suits for his dudes, and invited me over to his guild house for a consultation with them all.

It turned out they had to go on a raid or some poo poo, so they give me a quick rundown and left me the keys to the place to make it all while they went to pew-pew stuff. Naturally I cleaned them out.

feel good story of the year

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

The buff system was weird, but maybe I didn't fully understand it. The only time I could wear a decent suit of armor was after spending almost an hour or so having buffs applied. The experience was sort of like being in a salon with occasional chat with the person applying the buff. The thing is, once I put that armor on I didn't dare take it off again unless I wanted to go through that buffing process again. From what I could tell at the time this sort of thing was the norm.

this was common in a lot of MMO's and i'm glad its dead because it was the most obnoxious thing both to do and play against, it was called twinking/gimping in Anarchy Online, and a giant chunk of the game economy in AO revolved around specialized buffers helping you get gear 30 levels above you equipped

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I want to give this a shot, I'll have to eyeball some places for a cheap copy. I just noticed Dark Ages of Camelot is still going strong with official servers, holy hell.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I'm one of the crazy people who like vanilla wow, I like having to slowly level up my character by buying spells for my mage and having to eat and drink to recover hp and sp and level up my defense skill so I can tackle bigger baddies and actually have to face the threat of dying

is this the same?

every modern mmo has gone to instancing where the game actively tries to get rid of you and force you to log out by making mobs and missions piss easy, you could literally beat modern mmo's by just taping your mousebutton down

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
also I play on a free emulated server for a game that this game's release managed to kill

https://www.net-7.org

it's another space based mmo that I love the crafting and mining in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_71oOJ9B8

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hi i made a discord for anyone interested

https://discord.gg/dJW9X4D

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Nuts. I thought I had my discs still, but I guess I don't. I'll see if I can scare some up to come join you all.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I have a cousin that smokes copious amounts of weed and still fawns over runescape.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FYI: Doctor buffs are super necessary. Spend your first moneys on doctor buffs if one will buff you for 1k. It usually goes for 5k-9k depending on who's asking.

Entertainer buffs are very helpful as well but you have to sit around like a jackass and i dunno i don't see them as worth it. At a point where you can make enough money to pay for it, you'll probably want to pay someone to reset your stats to be optimized for what you plan your end game to be. But, I can't even give you a source for what you need. This is an emu for an outdated build of a discontinued game so you're basically in the late 90s of video games. Yeah google and forums will uncover information but youll quickly discover asking people in-game ends up being faster sometimes.

For some reason becoming a punch dude is 100% more viable in the early game and being a shoot-man is absolutely loving pure masochism. You might want to become a brawler and a punch man so you can get a starting bank account just so you don't wanna kill yourself doing the other stuff.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Skypie posted:

Blizzard is actually releasing legacy servers soon and I'm looking forward to seeing the scales fall from people's eyes

half the people are gonna quit after being corpsecamped in stranglethorn vale by hilariously OP vanilla rogues. i'm looking forward to all the salt that will come from this :hellyeah:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

If SWG was done right it was a licence to print money but you know its better to botch it horribly and recreate the dark knight scene where joker burns the big pile of cash.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm just discovering inflation is really hosed on this server. I'm not sure i can buy lovely vibroknuckles for under 300,000

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are you looking at bazaar terminals or player town shops?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Are you looking at bazaar terminals or player town shops?

i checked several town shops around coronet where 99% of corellian businesses are. I'm gonna go off planet to see if the other planets are so hosed soon

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you should check ol' greedo's scrapyard with his rascally slave-child

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Kak posted:

I don't understand what the point of playing a MMO that isn't being worked on anymore. What do you do once you run out of content.

It's like the people clamoring for vanilla WoW servers. All the content has been mapped out and played through. Everyone knows what the best classes/skill trees are. I don't get it/

The answer is autism. Nerds just love when success just means having to follow a long complicated process thats already mapped out for them step by step and doesn't actually require any independent skill development on their own part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

actually a lot of the fun here is that I have no idea what i'm doing which hasn't been true in an MMO since the earliest days of WoW

• Locked thread