Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

That end train scene is dope as hell though. It’s almost kind of worth it for that.

But not really.

I was going to say "I have no idea how the could gently caress up a Lone Ranger movie so badly" but I went and googled and discovered that there was also a 1981 film which was a terrible flop and a 2003 TV movie which no one liked. Apparently it's really easy to gently caress up a Lone Ranger movie??? :shrug:

The 1981 movie was doomed to fail because they decided to sue the original Lone Ranger actor Clayton Moore to stop him from appearing in public wearing a mask (he used to visit kids in hospital and poo poo like that) which of course made everyone hate their loving guts months before the film even came out. Clayton Moore just shrugged and started wearing wraparound sunglasses that were shaped somewhat similar to the eye mask (and even made some money on the side appearing in sunglasses ads) and the dumb cunts who were making the film decided to include a scene where a character in the old west who has invented wraparound sunglasses gets shot, which prompts another character to mutter "So much for American opportunity!" which no doubt made everyone hate their guts even more.
They also decided to dub the main actor's voice and did a really, really terrible job. Just jump to any random moment in the movie and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: holy poo poo I found the 2003 TV movie on youtube. Just watch the first minute and you'll know why it failed. Holy poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I... I like Wild Wild West :negative:

It’s just so absurd that it becomes entertaining

There's one really odd scene where Will Smith and Kenneth Branagh are swapping insults in a way which amounts to, "Haha, you're black!" vs "Haha, you're disabled!" and I remember when I watched it again more recently, all I could think was, "It's like if Quentin Tarantino made a PG movie."

Jim West as a black lawman trying to investigate former Confederate aristocrats in the Deep South at the height of Reconstruction is one of those things that I'm not sure how to feel about. The movie is clearly aware of the implications but, because it's a light action movie for kids, doesn't really know how to engage with it.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was going to say "I have no idea how the could gently caress up a Lone Ranger movie so badly" but I went and googled and discovered that there was also a 1981 film which was a terrible flop and a 2003 TV movie which no one liked. Apparently it's really easy to gently caress up a Lone Ranger movie??? :shrug:

Yeah, it was the one-two punch of Legend of the Lone Ranger and Raise the Titanic that wrecked what until then had been an almost exclusively successful career for Lew Grade as a producer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

Best original superhero movie: Darkman.

Hell yeah! Also on the topic: saying only major studios can make Superhero movies because of Mar-vell is like saying only Sci Fi movies can be Star Trek.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Hell yeah! Also on the topic: saying only major studios can make Superhero movies because of Mar-vell is like saying only Sci Fi movies can be Star Trek.

I'm trying to parse this and am really confused.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PJOmega posted:

I'm trying to parse this and am really confused.

Marvel movies are just one brand of superheroes just like Star Trek is one brand of scifi. Some guy up thread was saying only major congolmerates could make Superhero movies because his entire experience with them was DC and Marvel movies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is bone tomahawk a western or a horror?

Yes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Plus if that was true one of the best comic book movies of all time wouldn't still be Barbarella.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Some people here seem to be falling into the trap that super hero movies can only be gigantic budget films with giant action pieces. Super hero films can be anything. Look at something like My Super Ex-Girlfriend (stay with me here, I know it isn't that good), it's a romantic comedy that just happens to be a super hero movie, but the super heroics don't build to a gigantic battle of good and evil, it's basically people defining their relationships with each other instead of using the super heroics as a backdrop. Defender was one of several films that came out over a short period about people who dressed up as heroes and tried to fight crime, their black and white views of good and evil crashing into the grey of reality in various ways. The Specials went with a different approach, a super hero team movie about the team dynamics and features zero action scenes. None of these movies needed gigantic confrontations, they just had characters who were super heroes and then just did whatever. In the Philippines there is a long tradition of super hero comedy movies, many featuring original characters (some are more spoofy of Western or Filipino heroes than others) and the point is to just have some goofy fun featuring whichever comedians the star or the star's agency are friends with. Turkey has a lot of rip off heroes that rarely wear their costumes, as their super hero films are more inspired by the old serials where characters punch each other for ten minutes and then there is a cliffhanger. Many martial arts films are basically super hero films without the costumes (and occasionally they got masks anyway!) but the characters still have names like Golden Hair Mouse thanks to a history of those stories having characters with memorable names.

I'd guess it's related to the people confused on if certain films are Westerns, Westerns are another thing that can be more than just the template. You can have Westerns that don't take place in the old west, that are modern day, set in the far future, facing against aliens, dinosaurs, Dracula, weird monsters, all sorts of things. There isn't defined genres at all with film, and some of them blur the lines all over the place. Wild Wild West was weird as heck, but so was the tv show it was based on, where a giant spider wouldn't be that out of place. Will Smith being black was obviously written in after the basic outline was set and was never going to delve deep into it, for risk of alienating a good chunk of the potential audience due to studios being a business and not an art gallery. And, yes, the giant spider is the best part. It only took a movie so ridiculous as Wild Wild West for a giant mechanical spider to be the best part, and even then they almost screwed it up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Crow is another one, featuring a character who is mechanically a superhero but it's a revenge action movie first and foremost.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

The Crow is another one, featuring a character who is mechanically a superhero but it's a revenge action movie first and foremost.

It got three horrible sequels but they've still been desperately trying to reboot it these last 10 years. It went through a whole slew of developments but it was announced in Aug/Sept 2016 that Jason Momoa was going to star in it but then in Nov 2016 the film rights changed hands and the whole project was up in the air again, and just a few months ago it was announced that Sony will be distributing it if it ever comes out.

It's kinda sorta fitting that they just won't let it die

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Edit: holy poo poo I found the 2003 TV movie on youtube. Just watch the first minute and you'll know why it failed. Holy poo poo.

The most 2003 thing. Amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It got three horrible sequels

And a TV series!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The best thing about Wild Wild West is Kevin Smith's story about Jon Peters

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Alvarez IV posted:

Whenever someone brings up the superheroes as Westerns comparison, I ask how many independent studios can go out and shoot their own Batman movies to light a fire under the bloated tentpole asses of the world. Superheroes are tied with intellectual properties in a way that negates any that aren't preexisting as illegitimate in the eyes of the buying public. The only successful modern exception (unless you want to go obtusely broad and say that Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker and all the Campbell protagonists are superheroes like a pedant) is The Incredibles, which was successful on the backs of being a Disney/Pixar film. Dreamworks tried making The Incredibles years later and you got Megamind and everyone knew it was cut-rate before they saw it which is why it... gently caress, it didn't lose money, but I think my argument still holds up that you can't really proliferate the superhero genre without writing a check for beaucoup dollars unless you want to go shoot Nigerian Batman, which we should be so blessed as to have.

Indie superhero movies came and went when we got Defendor and Super and Boy Wonder within like the span of a year, turns out that "what if the superhero is actually an idiot and/or insane and top of not actually being super" is about as much insight as independent film was willing to give on the idea of superheroes. At least revisionist westerns had a lot more interesting things to say and do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It got three horrible sequels but they've still been desperately trying to reboot it these last 10 years. It went through a whole slew of developments but it was announced in Aug/Sept 2016 that Jason Momoa was going to star in it but then in Nov 2016 the film rights changed hands and the whole project was up in the air again, and just a few months ago it was announced that Sony will be distributing it if it ever comes out.

It's kinda sorta fitting that they just won't let it die

I'm still hoping Nick Cave's script for that surfaces.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What the hell is going on with the movie that is formerly known as "The God Particle"? Delayed until April, the third delay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Super is an all timer for me. It hits me hard emotionally. James Gunn can get in my soul.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Professor Shark posted:

What the hell is going on with the movie that is formerly known as "The God Particle"? Delayed until April, the third delay.

That's the third Cloverfield movie, right? I think they finished shooting on that in the summer of 2016, so my only thought is substantial re-editing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The weirdest thing is that there is about Wild Wild West is that there is a dude in my town that, every so often, will go to the local cons cosplaying as Kenneth Branagh's character. Even now, closing in on 20 years of that film being a punch line, he still dresses up as him.

I don't really know the story. I think it might be that he bought the original prop, maybe he's lost both his legs and found a major character he could relate to, or maybe he's just really into steampunk.

It's always a little surreal, but a little comforting to know that weirdo is still out there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stink Billyums posted:

The best thing about Wild Wild West is Kevin Smith's story about Jon Peters

My favourite part of the Superman Lives story isn't the giant spider; it's Jon Peters seeing Dead Man Walking and recommending Sean Penn as a good candidate to play Superman on the basis that he had "the eyes of a loving killer" which is obviously the first priority when it comes to casting Superman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Mann posted:

Indie superhero movies came and went when we got Defendor and Super and Boy Wonder within like the span of a year, turns out that "what if the superhero is actually an idiot and/or insane and top of not actually being super" is about as much insight as independent film was willing to give on the idea of superheroes. At least revisionist westerns had a lot more interesting things to say and do.

There's a shitload more smaller superhero films on their way, Wikipedia's list of upcoming American superhero films shows that there's at least 60 films currently in some stage of production. Many of them probably won't get made but you can bet that a lot of them will, even if they end up being direct-to-DVD or VOD.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

There's a shitload more smaller superhero films on their way, Wikipedia's list of upcoming American superhero films shows that there's at least 60 films currently in some stage of production. Many of them probably won't get made but you can bet that a lot of them will, even if they end up being direct-to-DVD or VOD.

A loving Turok movie is coming out? Holy poo poo. I hope they take inspiration from The Mummy (Brendan Fraser version) and the first two games. They could do some wild poo poo with that.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

A loving Turok movie is coming out? Holy poo poo. I hope they take inspiration from The Mummy (Brendan Fraser version) and the first two games. They could do some wild poo poo with that.

Given that the announcement was made in 2008 I have my doubts that it's being made.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That reminds me: there's that Tomb Raider movie coming out this year and as I recall there was talk a couple of years ago that it could be the launchpad for (you guessed it!) a shared cinematic universe involving Just Cause, Hitman, Deus Ex, and Thief. Granted, that was in 2015 when everyone was chasing the shared universe dragon, but I bet they'll give it a go if Tomb Raider does well.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure about Tomb Raider's prospects. It just looks like one of those ones you get that ends up being a hit, but maybe not the hit it needed to be (see also: Amazing Spider-Man 2). Granted, I don't really play video games, so I don't know what the Tomb Raider franchise's stock is at the moment.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Eh, you can all beat up on me, but I just feel like there is usually more to a 'western' than being set in that time and place. I guess it was such a large set of movies that it came in many forms, but because I've only seen a handful of the best ones the tone of the trailers just doesn't strike me as like the westerns I've seen.

Zorro or Back to the Future 3 aren't the first movies that come to mind when I'm thinking westerns either.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 14, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

That reminds me: there's that Tomb Raider movie coming out this year and as I recall there was talk a couple of years ago that it could be the launchpad for (you guessed it!) a shared cinematic universe involving Just Cause, Hitman, Deus Ex, and Thief. Granted, that was in 2015 when everyone was chasing the shared universe dragon, but I bet they'll give it a go if Tomb Raider does well.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure about Tomb Raider's prospects. It just looks like one of those ones you get that ends up being a hit, but maybe not the hit it needed to be (see also: Amazing Spider-Man 2). Granted, I don't really play video games, so I don't know what the Tomb Raider franchise's stock is at the moment.

The Tomb Raider game that came out in 2013 was a tremendous critical and commercial success that suffered a fair amount of backlash from gamers because, as part of the game's explicit overarching themes about the struggle of survival, a lot of the deaths were horrifying and the players decided to cope with that by blaming it on the devs being some kind of weirdo sadists instead of acknowledging that they had succeeded in being emotionally effected. The sequel didn't do nearly as well because it was an exclusive for a console that crashed and burned and also the story was pretty dumb on top of it so who knows how well the movie will do considering it's been like half a decade since the last game most people played.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

starkebn posted:

Eh, you can all beat up on me, but I just feel like there is usually more to a 'western' than being set in that time and place. I guess it was such a large set of movies that it came in many forms, but because I've only seen a handful of the best ones the tone of the trailers just doesn't strike me as like the westerns I've seen.

Zorro or Back to the Future 3 aren't the first movies that come to mind when I'm thinking westerns either.

I never saw it, but it was definitely marketed as an action-adventure movie, and those aren’t necessarily westerns, even if it has most of the trappings and tropes of the genre. Kill Bill is a western, Yojimbo is a western, BTTF3 is not. I get what you’re saying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

starkebn posted:

But they are though. At least Back to the Future 3.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Both Hitman movies have been flops and total garbage at that, is there really appetite for more?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Okay, we'll have to agree to disagree how important the discussion is

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

I'm still hoping Nick Cave's script for that surfaces.

Was this the one Steve Norrington was briefly attached to or was that a more recent attempts?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite part of the Superman Lives story isn't the giant spider; it's Jon Peters seeing Dead Man Walking and recommending Sean Penn as a good candidate to play Superman on the basis that he had "the eyes of a loving killer" which is obviously the first priority when it comes to casting Superman.

Try saying that to Zod's snapped neck.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Was this the one Steve Norrington was briefly attached to or was that a more recent attempts?

It was, yeah. Cave was brought aboard to rewrite Norrington's script.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Wild Wild West is a western horrible movie.

"What if we made Men In Black, but instead of aliens, just a shitload of racism? Get Burger King on the line. We've got cups to sell!"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

I don't really buy the comparison with westerns. Not only were they a certain genre but they also had a particular setting and era and technology, etc. When people are talking about the superhero trend or bubble nowadays they're really only referring to Marvel and DC dominance. But those characters can make for all kinds of different movies. And not only have we had comic book movies for far longer than the post-X-Men era, we've had movies about characters with superhuman abilities for even longer than that.

Well, no. It's an imperfect comparison. It was very specifically a reaction to the idea that Marvel is its own genre and genres don't fade in popularity. Westerns and martial arts movies show that they absolutely do wax and wane.

The Revenant made half a billion dollars, Django Unchained made $400m and The Lone Ranger made a quarter billion dollars. They're not dominating the box office but they've still got a sizable audience when the studios can be bothered putting the effort in.

Lone Ranger lost a lot of money. Like...a lot.

Also, the other two were sold as atypical westerns made by auteurs. They didn't make money because they were Westerns. They're also three films (throw in hateful 8, which did well too) spread over three years. Westerns used to be the most dominant genre.

That Johnny Depp couldn't sell enough tickets for a Western in 2013 should tell you where the genre is at.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 15, 2018

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Get James Wan to direct a Just Cause movie and I will be at every screening on opening day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of horrifically bad 00s western films, I had the "pleasure" of getting roped into seeing this in theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8NCp10Dqc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of horrifically bad 00s western films, I had the "pleasure" of getting roped into seeing this in theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8NCp10Dqc

I don't remember how, but I've seen that trailer a lot. It's just such an amazing misunderstanding of everything that makes Westerns work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwLLnBbot0 this might be worse, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That really does look a lot worse, impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I liked the 3:10 to Yuma remake.