Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

poptart_fairy posted:

It's cringe when Bond does it too.

Bond is a lesbian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Bond is a lesbian?

How do you think he won over Pussy Galore?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Bond's account of seducing women would belong right in this thread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

You seem confused. I'm merely pointing out that both films use the same tropes and patterns of other films, but are nonetheless considered revolutionary.

Youre also being weirdly defensive and assuming that "it had a standard ending" means "complete horse poo poo".

At this point in time, I really doubt anyone could come up with anything that hasn't been used anywhere else. The revolutionary parts people are enthused about involve female leads that aren't just eye candy. And, especially in the case of Wonder Woman, a female director being chosen to lead a seriously big-ticket property.

I, for one, liked Wonder Woman so much because it was a non-Batman live-action DC film that was genuinely entertaining, and, unlike so much non-Batman live-action DC films, didn't just outright suck.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

How do you think he won over Pussy Galore?
Having read the book, I prefer your take on it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

maswastaken posted:

Having read the book, I prefer your take on it.

:same: That fills me with rage.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Book James Bond was repulsed at the idea of having to seduce someone for state secrets. Ironically he elsewhere criticizes M for being "too victorian" in sexual morality.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I don't know about over there but here those discounts are a whole system where you swipe a card to get the discount and the business then gets some of it back from the government if form of deductions and what not. Not something that the person behind the counter has control over.

Katt has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jan 15, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yeah IDK that sounds believable. It's easy to forgot how much assumed knowledge there is around memes and poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah IDK that sounds believable. It's easy to forgot how much assumed knowledge there is around memes and poo poo.

Yeah but the person is on 4chan, so their meme familiarity would be higher than average.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
This man's memeIQ is through the roof! How could this have happened??

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Also green text stories are fictional, soooo the author admits they made it up

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah but the person is on 4chan, so their meme familiarity would be higher than average.

It's a sex-haver meme, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone on 4chan hasn't heard of it.

Anyway the greentext=fake thing may have been how they started but now people just post like that whether the story is intended to be read as fake or not.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:38 on Jan 15, 2018

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't know what Netflix and chill meant. I shared that with my friends and they didn't know what Netflix and chill meant.

disclaimer: we're all old.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Anyway the greentext=fake thing may have been how they started but now people just post like that whether the story is intended to be read as fake or not.

I thought it started on /r9k/ and was explicitly used for "here's a story which happened to me", unless the joke is that those stories were often STDH.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I made the mistake of glancing at the imgur front page today.

Comments are, of course, eating it up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

belt posted:

I didn't know what Netflix and chill meant. I shared that with my friends and they didn't know what Netflix and chill meant.

disclaimer: we're all old.

Did you call them one by one or did you do a group call?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Book James Bond was repulsed at the idea of having to seduce someone for state secrets. Ironically he elsewhere criticizes M for being "too victorian" in sexual morality.

You can think someone's a bit puritanical and also think it's wrong to seduce someone for state secrets.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Did you call them one by one or did you do a group call?

So old he probably talked to them in person.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 09:30 on Jan 16, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Mr. Belpit posted:

So old he probably talked to them in person.

Wait, that's an option? What app do you use for that?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Katt posted:

I don't know about over there but here those discounts are a whole system where you swipe a card to get the discount and the business then gets some of it back from the government if form of deductions and what not. Not something that the person behind the counter has control over.

Man, I never ask for a veteran discount on any goddamn thing. I don't carry around any proof of that poo poo either. Why would I want to be reminded of the worst time of my life?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Man, I never ask for a veteran discount on any goddamn thing. I don't carry around any proof of that poo poo either. Why would I want to be reminded of the worst time of my life?

Why the gently caress did you serve if you aren't willing to aggressively claim a $.20 discount on a small coffee

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Samizdata posted:

You know, upon reading a quote of this, all you are doing is complaining about established themes no real film can do without. How would you have ended Wonder Woman then? Without, you know, killing the opponent that the character has been told is the source of all evil all of her life on Themascyra.

I know this is from last page, but whatever.

They could have ended Wonder Woman by having her realize that killing one entity won't end war and deciding to save the people she can instead of trying to be an agent of retribution. Like if, say, they made it so that she had to leave Ares behind to go save her squad buddies or something. You know, something that meshes with the point of the movie rather than saying that war is part of human nature, but then having WWI end when she kills Ares.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ElGroucho posted:

To save money.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gambor posted:

They could have ended Wonder Woman by having her realize that killing one entity won't end war and deciding to save the people she can instead of trying to be an agent of retribution. Like if, say, they made it so that she had to leave Ares behind to go save her squad buddies or something. You know, something that meshes with the point of the movie rather than saying that war is part of human nature, but then having WWI end when she kills Ares.

also I don't particularly think PG13 movies and war movies mix together terribly well.

You're doing a movie about the horrors of war and you can't even show any blood.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Having WW cut down a bunch of teenage conscripts but then sparing the war criminal always seemed rear end backward to me.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

I can believe that a golden retriever would be this dumb.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Kevin Palpatine posted:

I can believe that a golden retriever would be this dumb.

there's no way he wrote that himself though

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

there's no way he wrote that himself though

Yeah goldens are super pretentious and always refer to themselves in the third person when they write.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gambor posted:

That was the most ridiculous backstep to me. They make a huge deal about how killing Ares won't stop the war because war is a part of human nature and he just needs to give little nudges here and there to make humanity start blowing itself to smithereens.....and then the very minute Ares is killed, the sun comes out and all the Germans stop fighting and become peaceful.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Has there ever been a good ww1 movie? One that gets into how lovely and terrible it was outside of like paths of glory?

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Having WW cut down a bunch of teenage conscripts but then sparing the war criminal always seemed rear end backward to me.

"I believe in love"
*squish*

E: "Tanks for the memories"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gambor posted:

Okay, see, this is the sort of thing I was encouraging. Instead of just saying "It sucks", I wanted someone to put a little thought into how it could be better.

The Iron Rose posted:

also I don't particularly think PG13 movies and war movies mix together terribly well.

You're doing a movie about the horrors of war and you can't even show any blood.

Well, the studio says it has to be PG-13. Otherwise, no movie. Let me think about it a bit...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

That was the most ridiculous backstep to me. They make a huge deal about how killing Ares won't stop the war because war is a part of human nature and he just needs to give little nudges here and there to make humanity start blowing itself to smithereens.....and then the very minute Ares is killed, the sun comes out and all the Germans stop fighting and become peaceful.

I think it was more like "Heilige Scheiße! If we fight, she's going to kill us all! Yeah, Fritz. Let's drop our guns!"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Samizdata posted:

I think it was more like "Heilige Scheiße! If we fight, she's going to kill us all! Yeah, Fritz. Let's drop our guns!"

Yeah, this. They just saw two gods have a video game boss fight. I'd probably drop my gun, too.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ilmucche posted:

Has there ever been a good ww1 movie? One that gets into how lovely and terrible it was outside of like paths of glory?

All Quiet on the western front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

ilmucche posted:

Saving Private Ryan's Dad