Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The best approach is probably a mixture of "Minimum Effort" and some other plan. Run some recon beforehand, see if there's anyone running SAMs or fighters or anti-aircraft in the area. If so, give 'em the business. If not, gently caress it just show up with a bomb truck and a two-plane CAP, maybe 2-4 more in reserve. No need to overplan and overcommit if we don't really have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Weren't we supposed to hit the cows specifically with napalm?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Whatever we bomb the cows with, we need to do it by overflying the cows at maximum speed and minimum altitude. :hellyeah:
I mean, we aren't getting paid to 'bomb some cows', we're getting paid to make a show out of bombing some cows.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Whatever we bomb the cows with, we need to do it by overflying the cows at maximum speed and minimum altitude. :hellyeah:
I mean, we aren't getting paid to 'bomb some cows', we're getting paid to make a show out of bombing some cows.

I... don't think we're getting paid at all for the cows.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Tevery Best posted:

Weren't we supposed to hit the cows specifically with napalm?

The Top Soar guys are the one dropping snake and nape. But they're probably going to miss...so Mr. Willmott and the other producers want some cows to get blown up so they can get B-roll of the "event" they can edit in later.

Since we can actually hit things, we'd being called in to do that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
So just fling a single SDB in the direction of the cows and problem solved?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

As long as it hits said cow. (Yes, there will be cows on our tactical display.)

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
OPERATION CANNON FODDER

Keep it simple. Bisons keep the garbage away, the Mirage finds things, the AMX blows said things up and the Gripen Gripens about.

Aircraft

JOOLS (CAP)
Orange: 4x MiG-21 Bison w. AA-12s
Blue: 4x MiG-21 Bisons w. AA-12s

STOO (Strike)
AMX Ghibli w. Mavericks

SENSIBLE (Recon, budget AWACS)
Gripen NG w. Medium Intercept (4x Meteors), Mirage w. ASTAC Pod

Rules
- All radars on, all the time.
- Bisons RTB when out of AAMs.
- Gripen may only fire Meteors when all Bisons are out of BVR missiles.
- AMX and Bisons may strafe the truck and/or cows (max. two passes for the cows) if necessary.

Execution
Launch from Banja Luka and follow the grey route towards Zagreb. Launch order: Mirage, Jools, Gripen, Stoo.
All aircraft except the Mirage form up east of Zagreb, near the cows. The Mirage makes a recon pass over Zagreb. Mirage + Gripen orbit Dugo Selo and remain there until all other aircraft are RTB.
Jools moves to CAP zones blue and orange and remains there while Stoo strikes the target.
Stoo engages the truck with Mavericks, one missile at a time.
All aircraft RTB when the truck is destroyed.
AMX + Bisons drop any remaining Mavericks on and/or strafe the cows on their way home if there are no hostile aircraft in the area, otherwise RTB as fast as possible.
Follow the grey route back to Banja Luka.

The biggest issue with this plan is that it really hasn't got any way to deal with SAMs or AAA other than avoiding them, but using the F-117s isn't worth the risk.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 12, 2018

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Bacarruda posted:

The Top Soar guys are the one dropping snake and nape. But they're probably going to miss...so Mr. Willmott and the other producers want some cows to get blown up so they can get B-roll of the "event" they can edit in later.

Since we can actually hit things, we'd being called in to do that.

I know, but you'd think the audience can tell the difference between napalm and high explosive.

Good thing it's not our problem!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'd like to remind everyone that we do have a Reaper available and it can carry bombs. If nothing else you can use it to hit the cows and save the main planes the trouble of strafing them.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
But I like strafing though :saddowns:

I would like to task DT5 with reconnaissance. What kinds of enemy forces are likely to make an appearance: F-5s and Viggens with heaters, or Bisons with Amraamskis? That would tremendously change up our approach to things.

e: not Gripens, Viggens

Also, I think there's definitely some potential in coming in from the north via Hefiz-Batalon.

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 12, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Get DT5 to booby trap the cows

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Davin Valkri posted:

I'd like to remind everyone that we do have a Reaper available and it can carry bombs. If nothing else you can use it to hit the cows and save the main planes the trouble of strafing them.

Unfortunately, the other Reaper is the one that has experience firing on wildlife. You may have to first get Grand Soar to place the cows in a warehouse, and then ask MEAT to blow up something near, but not in, said warehouse.

Or maybe unlike the brimstones the bombs actually work worth a drat. That’d be neat.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Planning scenario inbound tonight or tomorrow.

The mission will be daytime. Weather will be light, high, clouds. No rain. OPFOR Radar will range from civilian air traffic radars to cold war radar sets operated by national interests who share data on a mercenary basis with the Wild Willie crew.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Now you're being sensible Davin. We don't work that way :v:
(Seriously though, the Brimstones are the best weapon that we have for hitting the truck, but I think that the Reaper is too slow and that it would be too risky to use it for this operation.)

Yooper: Could we buy some radar coverage for at least a part of the operation?

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 13, 2018

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
You know, I am beginning to believe we should buy both ground based radar, and a few AA to set up a curtain around our airfields...

I am not the only one that thinks we are going to have a nice airfield accident one of these days right? I mean, it's not like we hide where we are flying from or anything...
Besides, being able to lure enemy planes into a prepared ambush could be useful...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Zebrin posted:

You know, I am beginning to believe we should buy both ground based radar, and a few AA to set up a curtain around our airfields...

I am not the only one that thinks we are going to have a nice airfield accident one of these days right? I mean, it's not like we hide where we are flying from or anything...
Besides, being able to lure enemy planes into a prepared ambush could be useful...

We do have a Groundmaster Radar, Pantsir, and I-Hawk battery along with some ZSU-23-4.

Working on the scenario and we have...

Cows.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Do the pilots get to put a silhouette of a cow on their aircraft if they kill one?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yooper posted:

We do have a Groundmaster Radar, Pantsir, and I-Hawk battery along with some ZSU-23-4.

Working on the scenario and we have...

Cows.

Is that just in the game as a unit, or did you have to hack that in?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Is that just in the game as a unit, or did you have to hack that in?

Deleted the picture of "Civilians" and replaced it with a cow. Civilians are the meatiest thing in the land based section. If this were a whale cooking contest now...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Don't be silly, we already had our whale cooking contest in the Bering Sea.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Don't be silly, we already had our whale cooking contest in the Bering Sea.

Yeah, and we lost. Hard. We might’ve gotten the sunshine out, but we still got the short end when it came to the poo poo we lost.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

HereticMIND posted:

Yeah, and we lost. Hard. We might’ve gotten the sunshine out, but we still got the short end when it came to the poo poo we lost.

Well we didn't cook any whales, so of course we lost the whale-cooking contest. I blame the ANGERpeace lobby.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Photo near Sarajevo showing the aftermath of a dogfight in February 2024

The Balkans have a problem. Actually they have a lot of problems, but this is one that concerns us.

The proliferation of 3d Printed airframes coupled with the resurgence of mercenary bands has brought a new scale of mercenary militarism and destruction not seen in Europe since the Thirty Years War. (hi hey gal) On top of our two conflicts, the largest two, there are other fights with auto dealerships, fast food restaurants, municipalities, soccer teams and even between universities. Bands of mercs who are outfitted with just a handful of planes seek to make a living. At most times just a few are functioning. Sometimes these groups coalesce into tenuous teams, other times they outright fight in the skies. The combined construction of the 20th century is now a target list.

How do we handle them as a group?

A > Ignore them, only fire if they violate the ROE.
B > Engage any unknown target.
C > Pay them to clear the skies or else B.

Should we start flinging missiles all over the Balkans we could both waste ordnance and draw people into a fight that might not be our enemies but that just happen to be bombing the local Burger King.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ignore, but if it comes to it then bribe

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Don’t fire unless fired upon. We aren’t getting paid to deal with these people.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
We have an obligation to local civilians, if only because the drinks companies all want happy customers. C.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
A - I'd vote C if the alternative was we ignore them instead of shooting, btw.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A Professionals Don't do poo poo if they don't get paid.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
A. We don't care if we don't get fired upon or, as mentioned above, get paid to care at the moment.
Bribe them or sue them if they interfere with our or our employers' operations though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
B own the skies

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
A means the odd risk of someone trying to pull a fast one on us.
B means a lot of potential extra ordnance cost, might imperil missions by having us spend too much ammo on incidentals and carries the risk of all these freelancers eventually getting together to gang up on us.
C spends money to mitigate the risks inherent in B to some degree.

Go with A for now. If someone trying to be funny becomes a trend, we can switch over to C. Option B is just a really bad idea all around.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kings of the Loud Table.

B... But use it to negotiate for other people to pay us to not be engaged, OR as a negotiating point to swap to C/A later.

This goes back to 'how do you know who's an enemy?'. Best case scenario is all the merc teams in the region agree to flag their missions with transponders and ignore each other - but reaching that point takes a few misunderstandings before people settle down and say 'lets stop loving each other'.

Surprise dogfight option though.

Yooper posted:

Bands of mercs who are outfitted with just a handful of planes seek to make a living. At most times just a few are functioning. Sometimes these groups coalesce into tenuous teams, other times they outright fight in the skies. The combined construction of the 20th century is now a target list.

Would I be correct in assuming that most of these teams are smaller than the hired guns/have not made it big-ish time yet? 5-10 planes is a lot less than us.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Would I be correct in assuming that most of these teams are smaller than the hired guns/have not made it big-ish time yet? 5-10 planes is a lot less than us.

Yes, in some cases a single pair of crap planes dropping iron bombs.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
C > Pay them to clear the skies or else B.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

C -They get one chance.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
I'd say we do B but with an emphasis on the unknown part. Post a hotline/e-mail/whatever where other PMCs can call in for deconfliction, stating their makeup, location, timetable, intent, whatever. Make it known that we will engage anyone unknown to us if we need to, and it is in their interest to make themselves known to us.

Hell, do this and offer a deconfliction service for all the tiny outfits flying around. For a modest subscription fee of course. Let Bumfuck PMC know that Hootn' & Hollrn' PMC is operating in the same area as them, but are no threat. For a slightly bigger fee, we might even let slip that Two Men & A Bomb-Truck PMC is also operating there and are a threat. Unless TM&ABT pay us the non-slipping fee of course.

Also, deal with any other well-outfitted neutral PMCs through back-channels.

e: Basically we position ourselves as a sort of deconfliction clearing-house, backed by the thinly veiled threat of surprise Meteor for anyone who neglected to sign up.

Anta fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 15, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:catdrugs: VOTE FOR 2 :catdrugs:

If you've got a plan and need a day please let me know! Otherwise vote early and vote often.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
A Because this sounds like a good choice in this complicated AO.
Operation Dairy Queen And Nazareth for the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

Anta posted:

I'd say we do B but with an emphasis on the unknown part. Post a hotline/e-mail/whatever where other PMCs can call in for deconfliction, stating their makeup, location, timetable, intent, whatever. Make it known that we will engage anyone unknown to us if we need to, and it is in their interest to make themselves known to us.

Hell, do this and offer a deconfliction service for all the tiny outfits flying around. For a modest subscription fee of course. Let Bumfuck PMC know that Hootn' & Hollrn' PMC is operating in the same area as them, but are no threat. For a slightly bigger fee, we might even let slip that Two Men & A Bomb-Truck PMC is also operating there and are a threat. Unless TM&ABT pay us the non-slipping fee of course.

Also, deal with any other well-outfitted neutral PMCs through back-channels.

e: Basically we position ourselves as a sort of deconfliction clearing-house, backed by the thinly veiled threat of surprise Meteor for anyone who neglected to sign up.

We're becoming a goddamned arbiter and this sounds wonderful. Hayard Gunnes is all grown up and doing responsible adult things in the world :3: