Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They should've kept cinema banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

If anything E.T. was too ambitious. Spielberg suggested they make something nice and simple like Pacman but the developer, Howard Scott Warshaw, had big ideas about making the biggest most complex game Atari had ever made even with the insanely tight schedule.

I remember the BBC did a feature on the E.T. game which included an interview with the developer and he said he was quite gratified to have developed both a game many people considered the worst (E.T.) and one that has been described as one of the best (Yars' Revenge).

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the BBC did a feature on the E.T. game which included an interview with the developer and he said he was quite gratified to have developed both a game many people considered the worst (E.T.) and one that has been described as one of the best (Yars' Revenge).

I have never heard of Yars' Revenge and I am pretty sure that it is significantly lesser-known than the E.T. game. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

21 Muns posted:

I have never heard of Yars' Revenge and I am pretty sure that it is significantly lesser-known than the E.T. game. :v:

Me neither, but it was apparently the best-selling original title on the Atari 2600.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of horrifically bad 00s western films, I had the "pleasure" of getting roped into seeing this in theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8NCp10Dqc

Was this caught in some kind of production hell? I swear I saw its preview in theaters for like a year.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yars Revenge sold a ton on account of its cover art being 100% dope as poo poo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yars Revenge sold a ton on account of its cover art being 100% dope as poo poo

Yes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe that explains where title/cover art came from.

Saw that the first time we went into the school library in 1st grade and checked it out.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Look at these nubs who don't know what Yars' Revenge was. Yars' Revenge even came with a comic book. It was the best Atari 2600 game, even stuff like Adventure, the Empire Strikes Back game, or Kaboom! don't stack up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yar's Revenge had both a tie in comic book and this record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHZKPc0z30

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Look at these nubs who don't know what Yars' Revenge was. Yars' Revenge even came with a comic book. It was the best Atari 2600 game, even stuff like Adventure, the Empire Strikes Back game, or Kaboom! don't stack up.

In my experience the best Atari game was DragonStomper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonstomper

I think y'all should read about it because it fuckin' melted my mind that somebody put a full-on RPG (with stats, inventory, an overworld, traps, and hiring soldiers) on the Atari in 1982.

It also has dope box art (not Yars Revenge calibur tho).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Yars' Revenge ruled and I played the poo poo out of it as a kid

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Who wouldn't want to be a Yar?

Fuckin' nobody, that's who.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dragonstomper looks like a blast, will have to check it out. Sadly it's not on archive.org so I'll see if I have it through other means.

There was a rare game sold only door to door in Canada discovered a few years back that uses the ET sprite, they eventually made new copies of it after located a working copy (donated by the programmer) The museum site put up the rom http://www.pcmuseum.ca/story_etfollowup.asp

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Star Wars doesn't go over great in China pretty much because the nostalgia empire from the original movies just doesn't exist there, people often can't tell the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek. So not surprising that they like the most standalone and unusual of the movies and have trouble getting into the latest series of sequels that they have little to no context for.

Apparently Transformers is/was quite popular in China, enough that they had a lot of coproduction with some of the Bayformers movies, and somewhere in there there is/was an unauthorised huge Optimus Prime statue.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Monster Hunt 2 will probably knock Wolf Warrior 2 out of the top spot in Chinese box office unless it turns out to be really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDXxWPQd7M

There is also Detective Chinatown 2, The Monkey King 3, and Operation Red Sea dropping this New Year, with all of them being sequels (Red Sea is a sequel to Operation Mekong, another prior highest grossing film)

I know my local theater will get Monster Hunt 2 as they are already selling tickets but I'm not sure which of the others will show up, usually I don't find out until like the day before they open, and occasionally they open two Chinese films at a time in the same theater so one only plays in the afternoon while the other at the evenings.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The solution to Something Awful money problem is find a way to get Doomhouse to premire in China, as it a new property to them and they would love it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

The solution to Something Awful money problem is find a way to get Doomhouse to premire in China, as it a new property to them and they would love it.

Tony Tango got a starring role in a Chinese blockbuster because he was a fat white guy with scuba experience so he got the last laugh in the end.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

None of these China box office records are remotely reliable, they're all fake and pointless.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Guy Mann posted:

Tony Tango got a starring role in a Chinese blockbuster because he was a fat white guy with scuba experience so he got the last laugh in the end.

That film still hasn't been released lol

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Phanatic posted:

Who wouldn't want to be a Yar?

Fuckin' nobody, that's who.

Explore the galaxy. Eat pipes. Shoot lasers. Be your best you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vegetable posted:

None of these China box office records are remotely reliable, they're all fake and pointless.

Was there ever an actual article or reserch or something that established this or is it still fallout from people refusing to believe Warcraft did well there? Because any time I see a credible source talking about this it's along the lines of Chinese theaters/etc. underreporting their box office so they can keep some more money from Hollywood.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Was there ever an actual article or reserch or something that established this or is it still fallout from people refusing to believe Warcraft did well there? Because any time I see a credible source talking about this it's along the lines of Chinese theaters/etc. underreporting their box office so they can keep some more money from Hollywood.

That's right

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-mpaa-audit-china-box-office20171003-story.html

There was actually an audit which found that US films released there were underreported by about 9%. I have to assume any talk about the numbers being 100% fake and pointless is from someone talking 100% out of their rear end

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

Best original superhero movie: Darkman.

The Incredibles

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Monster Hunt 2 will probably knock Wolf Warrior 2 out of the top spot in Chinese box office unless it turns out to be really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zDXxWPQd7M

There is also Detective Chinatown 2, The Monkey King 3, and Operation Red Sea dropping this New Year, with all of them being sequels (Red Sea is a sequel to Operation Mekong, another prior highest grossing film)

I know my local theater will get Monster Hunt 2 as they are already selling tickets but I'm not sure which of the others will show up, usually I don't find out until like the day before they open, and occasionally they open two Chinese films at a time in the same theater so one only plays in the afternoon while the other at the evenings.

Operation Mekong is my surprise legit good movie of 2017. it's absolutely chinese propoganda but the action is really well done (and almost F&F ridiculous), i've shown it to at least 5 skeptical people and they were hooked as soon as the first action setpiece was done

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

21 Muns posted:

Well everyone knows about ET because of the landfill thing (and probably also because of Seanbaby who I think really started the "ET worst game" trope). But Yars Revenge did indeed own a lot and was one of my favorite 2600 games, and honestly I could think of quite a few games that were worse than ET.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 17, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

That's right

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-mpaa-audit-china-box-office20171003-story.html

There was actually an audit which found that US films released there were underreported by about 9%. I have to assume any talk about the numbers being 100% fake and pointless is from someone talking 100% out of their rear end
Are you reading what you're writing? In the same breath you've given an example of blatant box-office fraud and dismissed its existence. Underreporting and overreporting are both number-rigging, you know.

Also I'm not surprised if they underreport the box office of Hollywood films, but it's well known that distributors inflate the ticket sales of Chinese films to create the impression of a hit movie:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-punishes-326-cinemas-box-office-fraud-988205

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/china-box-office-fraud-mpaa-phony-ticket-sales-film-industry-1201847763/

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/money-wealth/article/1937434/blockbuster-monster-hunts-box-office-takings-more-reel-real

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

literally no statistics that come out of china are credible.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TetsuoTW posted:

literally no statistics are credible.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Are you reading what you're writing? In the same breath you've given an example of blatant box-office fraud and dismissed its existence. Underreporting and overreporting are both number-rigging, you know.

Also I'm not surprised if they underreport the box office of Hollywood films, but it's well known that distributors inflate the ticket sales of Chinese films to create the impression of a hit movie:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-punishes-326-cinemas-box-office-fraud-988205

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/china-box-office-fraud-mpaa-phony-ticket-sales-film-industry-1201847763/

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/money-wealth/article/1937434/blockbuster-monster-hunts-box-office-takings-more-reel-real

I did not dismiss the existence of fraud, only the claim it's all 100% made up which you have helpfully provided some additional evidence that that's not the case. It seems that inflation or under reporting (which is now well known to occur by the authorities and action is being taken against it) can affect a film's gross by roughly about 10%. Maybe you have some other proof that the numbers are all 100% made up but I doubt that's what happens.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Shageletic posted:

There's been some great sci literature coming out of there recently, I've heard great things about the Three Body Problem.

man...u gotta get some1 to help pick avatars for you or somethin smh always a mess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

I did not dismiss the existence of fraud, only the claim it's all 100% made up which you have helpfully provided some additional evidence that that's not the case. It seems that inflation or under reporting (which is now well known to occur by the authorities and action is being taken against it) can affect a film's gross by roughly about 10%. Maybe you have some other proof that the numbers are all 100% made up but I doubt that's what happens.
The point is that box office records in China are not trustworthy because there's a significant problem of ticket fraud. I don't know what else to say to you bud.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All numbers are lies. Think about it, have you ever actually seen a number? Touched a number? Didn't think so.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

man...u gotta get some1 to help pick avatars for you or somethin smh always a mess

haha I think that's the point

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

All numbers are lies. Think about it, have you ever actually seen a number? Touched a number? Didn't think so.
-Jayden Smith

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

[jazz sax intensifies]

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TetsuoTW posted:

literally no statistics that come out of china are credible.

What else do we really have to go on, though? It's either assume those statistics have at least a grain of truth, or just completely take wild guesses at what's going on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I saw that movie on an aeroplane. I don't know if it's the first time I watched a movie and thought "This is a bad movie" (ordinarily, I enjoy most movies when I see them, then come to dislike them after the fact) but only because I don't remember if I saw it before or after The Golden Compass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remember that new Kickboxer sequel that no one saw, let alone barely heard about?

It's got a sequel!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5208950...e&ref_=hm_cs_t4