Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Angry Salami posted:

A Mann's Home is His Castle: As Mann, control 10+ provinces and have a fortress in each.

Missed opportunity for the double pun in "A Mann's Home is His Castile: As Mann, own the Castile region"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Missed opportunity for the double pun in "A Mann's Home is His Castile: As Mann, own the Castile region"

:perfect:

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Behind Every Great Mann is a Great Woman: As Mann, be ruled by a queen and be a Great Power at the same time

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Measure of a Mann: As Mann, achieve 100% war score as an ally in a defensive war.

Mann the Barricades: As Mann, have five forts with 150% defensiveness.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 19, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
What is a Mann?: As Mann, have 100 spy network strength on five other countries at once.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

deathbagel posted:

If a country gets to enforce a PU and there are no other countries that have the same ruling dynasty, then the game defaults to offering their strongest rival to contest that PU. You must be the strongest Rival available to contest the succession.

Ah interesting. I'm still not sure how that works logically but I'm always glad for a chance to kick the crap out of France.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

What is a Mann?: As Mann, have 100 spy network strength on five other countries at once.

dog i'm too lazy to get the three rivals one

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Mann in the High Castle: As Mann, have a level 8 fort in Pawnee.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Mann, that was boring: As Mann, start on the 1444 bookmark, never own more than one province, never be the suzerain of another nation, play until 1821, and never increase the game speed.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Node posted:

Mann, that was boring: As Mann, start on the 1444 bookmark, never own more than one province, never be the suzerain of another nation, play until 1821, and never increase the game speed.

beautiful

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Mann seeking Man: As Mann with a female ruler, gain a male consort through a royal marriage.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 20, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Is Burgundy guaranteed to rival England at game start now? I had thought that once upon a time they didn't.

Edit: And of course right after I post that I get a game start where they don't.

Edit edit: The opacity of why, exactly, my Military Tactics was 0.3 instead of 0.5 for this one battle that smushed half my stack is infuriating.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 20, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Okay Reman, out yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O63oZQpKt_g

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Hey this is another opportunity to pimp one of those "things that work really unintuitively in EU4 and should definitely be reworked". This is all mentioned in the video, but for brevity's sake;

Cavalry are really expensive and don't really dish out that much damage considering the cost, unless you specifically build for maximum cavalry power. Their whole thing which is supposed to make them worth their cost is having extended flanking range over infantry. Up to range 5 at high tech! And this is extremely good when you can actually take advantage of it. Unfortunately outside of the very early game your meaningful major combats will be carried out at max combat width, in which your cavalry can't actually flank. Then they take damage directly because they're getting attacked by the enemy's front line, and cost more to reinforce.

Now, layer on top of this the incredibly bad way that the game decides how to line up your troops vs. the enemy's; all flanking positions are always filled with cavalry first, which artificially inflates the amount of cavalry you actually need to effectively flank, because you now need 2x (cavalry flanking range) units to make your cav flank, instead of 2x (cav flanking range - inf flanking range). Infantry start with 1 flanking range, so this always results in effectively needing extra cavalry in order to be able to flank. So you need a ton of expensive cavalry to actually gain their flanking benefit, but you can only flank weaker armies anyway. Which is a shame because it means that the only time that cavalry is worth really investing in heavily is the extremely early game (where it's prohibitively expensive) and if you're playing Poland or a Horde where you can get gigantic stacked cavalry power bonuses. And so we have the 'meta' where you don't use any cavalry at all after you get big enough to be throwing around max width armies, and makes a whole slew of ideas and bonuses totally useless because why use cavalry at all when you only need infantry and artillery?

This doesn't even get into the awfulness that is having random infantry units slotted into your back line instead of artillery, because the combat started vs. an army which didn't already have a max back line of artillery, and other similar issues.

What makes this extra frustrating is that the solution seems extremely simple; just allow cavalry, up to their flanking range on each flank, to engage the enemy in excess of the normal combat width. If this ends up being broken af then reduce them down to doing 50% damage like back line artillery, or some other similar measure. And let armies dynamically adjust their line of combat when reinforced to avoid absurdities such as artillery being held in reserve because your backline is clogged up with other units.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

cavalry loving suck and it is always really funny to me how bad they are

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The current combat system should be completely overhauled. It's a terrible holdover from EU3 (maybe earlier?)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The current combat system should be completely overhauled. It's a terrible holdover from EU3 (maybe earlier?)

I'd rather they try and tweak it, But keep the base the same. It works mostly okay in the broad strokes. And I'd rather have it then a mess of a system like CKII's.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

the combat is largely fine, it would be nice if manoeuvre was a more useful stat and affected how ideally your units are placed or something, and cav definitely needs a buff, but it works and you can reliably influence how battles will go

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Roadie posted:

Is Burgundy guaranteed to rival England at game start now? I had thought that once upon a time they didn't.

Edit: And of course right after I post that I get a game start where they don't.

Edit edit: The opacity of why, exactly, my Military Tactics was 0.3 instead of 0.5 for this one battle that smushed half my stack is infuriating.

Did you check the tooltip? It will tell you exactly why you only have 0.3.

You probably had more cav than infantry in the battle.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

pog boyfriend posted:

it works and you can reliably influence how battles will go

I think this is the key that elevates it over CK2 combat, and is also why I'm leery of calling for major overhaul.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Wait, wait, cavalry are useless?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cavalry are not useless. Literally nobody has said that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Okay, "Cavalry loving suck" and "Cavalry don't dish out proportional damage unless you heavily build for it", then.

I've just always been building cavalry up to my permissible cavalry ratio plus one or two infantry as a loss buffer. I assume that's a terrible idea.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons that's a bad idea. The most obvious one is that cavalry are better than infantry, but not 2.5x better, so you're throwing away a lot of money. But there's one big one that's not intuitive at all due to the opacity of the combat system. The unit deployment algorithm tries to maximize flanking above all else, meaning that it fills the front line with infantry to match the opposing side's front line width, then puts cavalry on the flanks up to the flanking limit, and then puts extra regiments on the sides or in the rear where they do literally nothing except lose morale. The only scenario where the algorithm would deploy more cavalry than 2x your flanking limit is if your number of infantry regiments is smaller than your enemy's front line width. But then your cavalry are taking direct fire, and cavalry regiments usually have glass cannon stats and they cost even more to reinforce. What this means is that 90% of the time, your inf/cav ratio is a meaningless number because you almost never want more than 4 cavalry in combat at a time.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

...huuuuh, so, you basically only want 4 cav battalions per army (or fewer, if you're combining armies)? Is there any relevance to whether or not you have greater cavalry support (like for steppe hordes, muslims, or the age abilities) or is that also basically a trap choice?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I take 6 cav per army, and I think that's pretty effective.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

spectralent posted:

...huuuuh, so, you basically only want 4 cav battalions per army (or fewer, if you're combining armies)? Is there any relevance to whether or not you have greater cavalry support (like for steppe hordes, muslims, or the age abilities) or is that also basically a trap choice?

There is one way that you can get more use out of your cavalry, but it requires some fiddly micromanagement bullshit. Basically you have to detach your cavalry from your infantry, and then have your cavalry arrive to the battle a day before the infantry. That way you get all your cavalry on the front row and you can do massive shock damage. The infantry are mainly just there to keep you from getting insufficient support after the first day. This is mainly only a thing for steppe horde on flat land where they get a bonus to shock damage, though. Also you still have the problem of the cavalry being disproportionately expensive, and money tends to be pretty tight as a steppe horde. Nonetheless, you can use it to stack wipe very effectively in the very early game.

Xinder posted:

I take 6 cav per army, and I think that's pretty effective.

You might think that, but you're wrong. Until you reach MIL 18, you'll have two cavalry regiments that do literally nothing most of the time. And by that point, cavalry are just really expensive infantry.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So if one is making an EUIV mod (just changing country borders, rulers, a few events/national ideas), is it a good idea to hold off until 1.25 comes out? Since it seems to change the map quite a bit, seems like making the mod now would require an overhaul when it comes out to fit in all those new provinces.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
They change the map with basically every patch now, I don't think it's worth holding back unless your mod is going to be based almost entirely around northwest Europe.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Senor Dog posted:

Did you check the tooltip? It will tell you exactly why you only have 0.3.

You probably had more cav than infantry in the battle.

The tooltip just said "Military Tactics: 0.5".

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
I thought I was supposed to be able to convert Centers of Reformation, according to that Reman fellow. Those centers have the -100% missionary strength like all the other newly converted provinces.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

If I remember right, you gotta whittle down the country to 1 province, then force religious conversion on them and it'll convert those centers automatically. They might not even have to be one province large as long as the center of reformation is on their capital and you force convert.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Torgo2727 posted:

I thought I was supposed to be able to convert Centers of Reformation, according to that Reman fellow. Those centers have the -100% missionary strength like all the other newly converted provinces.

The -100% wears off after something like 10 or 20 years.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MuffinsAndPie posted:

If I remember right, you gotta whittle down the country to 1 province, then force religious conversion on them and it'll convert those centers automatically. They might not even have to be one province large as long as the center of reformation is on their capital and you force convert.

Yes, this is why you want to spend the time between reining in Italy and the reformation bashing every HRE minor you can down to OPM status. It’s not the end of the world if you wind up having to wait 20 years for religious zeal to expire, but it makes your job as emperor a lot easier if you can just ignore it with forced conversion.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Fister Roboto posted:

You might think that, but you're wrong. Until you reach MIL 18, you'll have two cavalry regiments that do literally nothing most of the time. And by that point, cavalry are just really expensive infantry.

Reminds me that the Before I Play wiki page still has beginner advice like

quote:

- Cavalry is OP in the early game. Try to get a 1:1 ratio of cavalry to infantry in the early game because the mixed arms bonus doesn't outweigh the sheer power early game cavalry has. Later on in the game you should look at a 2:1:1 infantry:cavalry:artillery distribution of your armies.

I still accept any corrections to the stuff on there from people better at this game than me, it was last updated 4 years ago. :v:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm currently only rocking Art of War and Common Sense as my DLCs (and El Dorado and CoP but whatever). I'm actually fine with these DLCs for now but am I hobbling myself by not having the army drilling or estates DLC or whatever?

edit: eh GMG was having a sale so I picked up Cossacks and Rights of Man, that should scratch the itch without sacrificing too much to the paradox money gods

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 21, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

BeforeIPlay posted:

The Ottomans is a good starting nation for a first game. They have a decent army (but are held somewhat in check by a few of their neighbours), interesting events and some options about which direction to expand in.

Hahahahahaha.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Hahahahahaha.
For a given definition of "somewhat". Kinda like how Novgorod holds Muscovy in check.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the term you're looking for is "speed bump". The Ottomans are surrounded by speed bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
A little bit closer to muscovy's relation to the hordes. Generally they can't beat you, but if you gently caress up victory might cost enough that the vultures swoop in, and the ottomans have more vultures than a lot of countries.