Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Same, mainly because I'm poo poo at chariots and would disappoint Settra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
They all look amazing please this is torture.........

Hype Level: IM TRAPPED INSIDE THE TOMB, ALL THE LEVERS HAVE ROTTED AWAY SEND HELP

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any decent Khalida early access streams yet?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Dandywalken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQqWvSAwSzg here's one though I haven't watched it myself!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Eej posted:

Found my first TK lord to play

Gonkish posted:

Seriously, Khalida looks like she's going to be my favorite TK.

Dandywalken posted:

You guys legit had nothing but highelf and darkelf armies full of 80% archers since release and you want more archer spam?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's different though because skeletons.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I'm ok with Khalida being good at archers as a gimmick thing because I like having each army be different if possible and that's cool, but goddamn do I feel like WH2 is pretty archer-heavy. At least the ranged battles in WH1 were varied: you had Empire/Dwarf gunlines that required some more careful positioning than just a line of archers if you wanted to bring AP ranged to bear, you had some generally flexible archers/crossbows across multiple factions who were reliable, and you had Wood Elves who could go really deep on ranged units if you wanted, and in general, ranged was a powerful tool but not dominating. (You also had Vampires who had none, which was another weird twist to that).

WH2 so far has two archer-heavy factions, a faction that can go deep on artillery/skirmish (which is at least somewhat interesting), and a heavy infantry faction. I don't mind archer-heavy factions (I love playing WE) but so far, I think I'd want to play anything else than yet another WH2 faction built around melting people before they get to combat. At least it'll just be Khalida's army instead of all of them if you start with her (I hope).

Also why do all the TKs talk so slowly, goddamn.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You guys legit had nothing but highelf and darkelf armies full of 80% archers since release and you want more archer spam?

A whoooole lot of people play Total War games looking for the optimal gunline because it's usually an efficient and easy way to beat up the AI with minimal losses.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Ravenfood posted:

Also why do all the TKs talk so slowly, goddamn.
They have time on their hands, you see

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

My man Khalida's archers are skeletons and magic robots that have bows made out of swords

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Archer heavy compositions are a little more friendly for novice players because they don't need to be micromanaged as much. The newer red skill lines also give bonus missile resist to a lot of units.

Arrows have slower projectile speeds than bullets which make them easier to dodge especially at max range.

SFO took this a step further by giving a lot of units better missile resist and missile block (and shielded units typically come with 3-5 more armor as well). In contrast, ammo didn't get buffed and few ranged units have fatigue resist. Ranged is still decent but since it takes many more shots for the same effect,and typically missile units that have fired enough to run out of ammo are completely exhausted at that point.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One interesting thing: a full TK stack was able to raid for ~160 on in the 10th turn from a (I think) t3 settlement. Considering that at the time the turn-based income was 90 and there's no upkeep at all on them, that's actually a fairly substantial increase to their income early when any other faction would laugh at that. Finding ways to make money as TK is going to be interesting.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Panfilo posted:

It's different though because skeletons.

Skeletons of the SPOOKY, SCARY variety, at that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
When 50% of your starting races are elves archer dominance is to be expected.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
And even then, Helf Archers kinda suck and they play better if you lean into their strong Cav/Monster/Infantry game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Archer heavy compositions are a little more friendly for novice players because they don't need to be micromanaged as much. The newer red skill lines also give bonus missile resist to a lot of units.

Arrows have slower projectile speeds than bullets which make them easier to dodge especially at max range.

SFO took this a step further by giving a lot of units better missile resist and missile block (and shielded units typically come with 3-5 more armor as well). In contrast, ammo didn't get buffed and few ranged units have fatigue resist. Ranged is still decent but since it takes many more shots for the same effect,and typically missile units that have fired enough to run out of ammo are completely exhausted at that point.

On the flip side on SFO, you could take a full army of dwarven rangers backed by a engineer with 100+ missile damage each and vaporize anything you came in contact with, treemen and other giant targets would just have their healthbar disappear in under 5 seconds, then they would reload.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

One interesting thing: a full TK stack was able to raid for ~160 on in the 10th turn from a (I think) t3 settlement. Considering that at the time the turn-based income was 90 and there's no upkeep at all on them, that's actually a fairly substantial increase to their income early when any other faction would laugh at that. Finding ways to make money as TK is going to be interesting.

I'm hoping there will be constant events to go sack a city on the other side of the map to recover a lost artifact for big cash bonuses.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

She's got skelly archers that poison and her entire existence is that she has a massive hateboner for her cousin who used her vampiric powers to kill her and turn her into a vampire only to be saved from vampiric undeath at the last second by the snake god

so hell yeah i'm hyped

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also as much as I was just grumbling about archer-heavy armies, the TK recruitment system means that you'd have a much harder time spamming those units early compared to other factions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Archer spam factions would imo be less annoying if they were spread more, but the new world factions plus norse are almost all in one giant thunderdome. Tyrion and Malekith starts blows chunks bc of the elf hellwar.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I wanna play as Khatep, the Californian Mummy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
can't believe Khatep's canonical end is that he runs back to Settra with information on potentially how to stop Nagash so he is thanked and then executed for breaking the terms of his exile

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That sounds Settra as gently caress to me.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"there's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law, but the point is that I'm Motherfucking Settra so uh public execution no trials kthanxbai"

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Are the starting locations for the TK lords in Mortal Empires known?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

Are the starting locations for the TK lords in Mortal Empires known?

They're all basically the same except Khalida gets moved to Lybras.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eej posted:

can't believe Khatep's canonical end is that he runs back to Settra with information on potentially how to stop Nagash so he is thanked and then executed for breaking the terms of his exile

In fairness, Settra is an incredibly stupid motherfucker.

Like, dude is cool, great gimmick, but he is not a smart man.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, Settra is an incredibly stupid motherfucker.

"Settra is an incredibly stupid motherfucker" plus "Nagash is a petty tryhard rear end in a top hat" is what drives most of TK lore, tbh. There's a reason why his pyramid was triple double quadruple sealed by the Mortuary Cult, and why Khatep only woke Settra up after all the other options for resolving the situation at hand failed. :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Part of the reason I like Nagash as a villain is because he's a pointlessly edgy try hard who lucked into power by finding a half-dead dark elf sorceress, decided that dark magic wasn't even close to being edgy enough for his liking and invented necromancy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's pretty impressive that they made Khatep into an interesting start choice. He's one of the poster children for GW going "uuuh, we need a unique caster lord for this army so quick, make up their Gelt equivalent: He's the dude in charge of all the wizards. He has a magic, uh, staff. He is super powerful and only Teclis/Mazdamundi/a Lord of Change is better than him. Ok, sweet character."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's pretty impressive that they made Khatep into an interesting start choice. He's one of the poster children for GW going "uuuh, we need a unique caster lord for this army so quick, make up their Gelt equivalent: He's the dude in charge of all the wizards. He has a magic, uh, staff. He is super powerful and only Teclis/Mazdamundi/a Lord of Change is better than him. Ok, sweet character."

Which is super weird because they already had a caster lord with Arkhan

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Its neat how Arkhan can have vampire count units in his army. very unique

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Calling it now: mixed VC-TK armies are a dry run for Ogre Kingdoms/merc and Tilean merc armies in later content.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vlex posted:

Calling it now: mixed VC-TK armies are a dry run for Ogre Kingdoms/merc and Tilean merc armies in later content.

I can buy this. Mods already have a limit of units based on number of buildings which I assume is just stolen from hero limit code.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Vlex posted:

No, that's what rogue armies are but you don't need 'dry run', it's a simple horde-style mechanic. But good prophecy work, Nostradamus

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know if Tomb Kings are able to spam as many RoR as they like?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vlex posted:

You don't actually need to dry run anything you just put the units on their roster and they have those units. It's not complicated.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Does anybody know if Tomb Kings are able to spam as many RoR as they like?

What do you mean exactly? Each RoR is capped at 1 like every other faction, and will be on cooldown if they die. They will be free of cost/upkeep for the Tomb Kings however, only Legions of Legend will locked behind the Mortuary Cult.

They have introduced a new change in that you'll only be able to start recruiting RoR at rank 10 and above.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i thought khatep's lore was less "this guy is super powerful" and more "this guy knows absolutely everything there is to know about the lore of nehekara"

like, no, in a straight power-on-power fight with Arkhan, Mannfred, or even Gelt dude is not going to win, but if this becomes an exercise in competitive skeleton-herding he will proceed to take you to school with his closest nine thousand bony friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys, any idea why I have two allied armies camping out at the Oak of Ages?