Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please recommend me a couple books on the history of the Islamic Caliphates.

Anything by Hugh Kennedy is good- The Great Arab Conquests, the Prophet and the age of the Caliphates, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Are there any good books on late antiquity religious movements? Mazdak, Gnostics, Manchieans, that sort of thing. Super interested in the context they arose from and how they tried to deal with it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was there ever a pre-modern gold rush?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

spain, new world, hilarity ensues

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Unless you're a native

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

spain, new world, hilarity ensues

That isn't premodern!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Didn't Rome accidentally poo poo up their economy by invading Dacia and suddenly having All The Gold?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Mansa Musa distributed so much gold on his pilgrimage to Mecca that he single-handedly hosed up the economies of several countries due to inflation.

I don't think Rome ever ruined their economy with gold. While they had access to tons of it through Dacia and Hispania, mines were almost universally controlled by the state and administered by the army and I think they were careful not to over do it. But, as the title says, I assert this with no evidence.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

While they had access to tons of it through Dacia and Hispania, mines were almost universally controlled by the state and administered by the army and I think they were careful not to over do it. But, as the title says, I assert this with no evidence.

I really doubt this tbh. It's not like they had a modern understanding of macroeconomic policy back then; I suspect emperors would happily dig up all the gold they possibly could, especially in times when they were also debasing the currency they made out of that gold.

Edit: also, depending on period, mostly silver not gold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My guess is that transportation and travel was difficult enough in the ancient world that a "gold rush" was not practically possible due to limitations on the spread of news and the spread of people. Gold rush of the American West type requires a few things -- mass travel, mass news dissemination, open and unclaimed land, etc. -- that I'm not sure existed together in the ancient world in the same way.

I mean maybe if you count something like Alexander's conquest of Persia. "They sure have a lot of money, let's bring an army." I'm sure there were gold booms and busts and so forth though.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

sebzilla posted:

Didn't Rome accidentally poo poo up their economy by invading Dacia and suddenly having All The Gold?

Rome's problem long term was capturing too many slaves after the end of the Second Punic War and onwards, loving up their domestic labour market and dealing with it really, really badly over the next century and a half

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Mansa Musa distributed so much gold on his pilgrimage to Mecca that he single-handedly hosed up the economies of several countries due to inflation.

I don't think Rome ever ruined their economy with gold. While they had access to tons of it through Dacia and Hispania, mines were almost universally controlled by the state and administered by the army and I think they were careful not to over do it. But, as the title says, I assert this with no evidence.

Gold got a bit cheaper over the classical period, but not by much, at least relative to silver. It was 12 x silver in the Republic, and was down to 10 x by the late empire, where seems to have stayed until the late middle ages.

Alchemists got really hung up on that 12 to 1 ratio in the Early Modern period, even though the real ratio was over 15:1 by then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Rome's problem long term was capturing too many robots after the end of the Second Punic War and onwards, loving up their domestic labour market and dealing with it really, really badly over the next century and a half

Uh oh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was also that 100 year period when half the people died of the plague every 20 years .

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A book I read on the early modern period made the claim that the relationship between mining lots of silver and inflation was unknown at the time (though scholars figured it out very quickly once it started happening). It's possible the Romans knew and it was forgotten though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

A book I read on the early modern period made the claim that the relationship between mining lots of silver and inflation was unknown at the time (though scholars figured it out very quickly once it started happening). It's possible the Romans knew and it was forgotten though.

the romans had very little grasp of inflation as a concept let alone its causes. i think they figured out eventually that debasement of coinage could cause problems if taken too far, but that was the extent of it

the early modern period is when europeans start to consider the money supply in isolation from wealth in general

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1799&context=open_access_etds

I'm still reading it, but it seems well put together. Deadwood in Dacia.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

There was also that 100 year period when half the people died of the plague every 20 years .

I just finished The Fate of Rome by Kyle Harper. He does a great job of describing how epidemics and terrible weather helped to throw everything into chaos.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rome fell because they refused to follow Sol Invictus. How else would you explain the plague and other horrible things. :colbert:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ChaseSP posted:

Rome fell because they refused to follow Sol Invictus. How else would you explain the plague and other horrible things. :colbert:

What's interesting is that Augustine wrote City of God specifically to argue against that position.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rome fell because they failed to embrace the monophysite truth.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Epicurius posted:

What's interesting is that Augustine wrote City of God specifically to argue against that position.

That's what you got out of that film?!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mantis42 posted:

It was a very loose adaptation of the original book.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Typical Hollywood system, they don't save much from the original screenplay if the money guys don't like you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone please recommend me a couple books on the history of the Islamic Caliphates.

Muslim Spain And Portugal is pretty awesome, let me check my kindle real quick, it's written by

Lobster God posted:

Anything by Hugh Kennedy is good- The Great Arab Conquests, the Prophet and the age of the Caliphates, etc.

well, poo poo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SlothfulCobra posted:

does ghana/mali cou-

Jamwad Hilder posted:

:mad:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Belgian posted:

That isn't premodern!
but it isn't modern

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Early modern is still modern.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is that transportation and travel was difficult enough in the ancient world that a "gold rush" was not practically possible due to limitations on the spread of news and the spread of people. Gold rush of the American West type requires a few things -- mass travel, mass news dissemination, open and unclaimed land, etc. -- that I'm not sure existed together in the ancient world in the same way.

I mean maybe if you count something like Alexander's conquest of Persia. "They sure have a lot of money, let's bring an army." I'm sure there were gold booms and busts and so forth though.

I agree with you about Persia. All of a sudden a lot of cash hit the Greek world combined with opening up new land to be claimed and a guarantee of steady well-paying employment for anyone who's willing to be a soldier or just get in on the downfall of the Persian system.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
To some extent, there was a "silver rush" in Athens. After they discovered silver mines, anyone with any slaves would sell them to the silver mines and get rich.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Roman gold mining was all about dying in tunnels/dying from poison gas/dying from mercury poisoning so people weren't exactly rushing out to do that themselves. Slave mining changes the equation from the more modern gold rushes.

Jazerus posted:

the romans had very little grasp of inflation as a concept let alone its causes. i think they figured out eventually that debasement of coinage could cause problems if taken too far, but that was the extent of it

the early modern period is when europeans start to consider the money supply in isolation from wealth in general

They did understand debasement was bad. Nothing else I've read suggests they had any real understanding of economics (because no one does lmao!!!) but things like the edict on maximum prices make me think they had some observational awareness of inflation. Like how they figured out a wound was more likely to heal if you clean it with hot wine/vinegar but not understanding the concept behind it.

I also don't know a ton about economics myself so may be pulling things out of my rear end.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

FreudianSlippers posted:

Early modern is still modern.

No, modern is modern and early modern is early modern.

While there's a rise of the merchant classes in the early modern, it's still a world where estate often matters more than your income. Less so after the early 19th century.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Kemper Boyd posted:

No, modern is modern and early modern is early modern.

While there's a rise of the merchant classes in the early modern, it's still a world where estate often matters more than your income. Less so after the early 19th century.

Fun game: you draw two random dates, and then you have to construct an argument for why they are the logical start and end of the early modern period. Another version is to see how early you can place the start of the eighteenth century. Some people reckon 1660 is the limit, but I reckon that if I really put my mind to it I could get back as far as 1603.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The most important definition of the eighteenth century is industrialized power and thus begins with Hero of Alexandria's aeoliple in the 50sish AD.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Roman gold mining was all about dying in tunnels/dying from poison gas/dying from mercury poisoning so people weren't exactly rushing out to do that themselves. Slave mining changes the equation from the more modern gold rushes.

They did understand debasement was bad. Nothing else I've read suggests they had any real understanding of economics (because no one does lmao!!!) but things like the edict on maximum prices make me think they had some observational awareness of inflation. Like how they figured out a wound was more likely to heal if you clean it with hot wine/vinegar but not understanding the concept behind it.

I also don't know a ton about economics myself so may be pulling things out of my rear end.

yeah diocletian's price edict is, i think, around the time inflation had been going fast enough for long enough that they gained an active awareness of it. i haven't seen anything that suggests such an awareness until diocletian tries to grapple with fixing two centuries of emperors semi-routinely debasing when they first get into office to pay the necessary donatives, and afterward they seem to be less cavalier about debasing the solidus than they were about the denarius. for a while, anyway - eventually the byzantines severely debase it, but that took several hundred years even so

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

Fun game: you draw two random dates, and then you have to construct an argument for why they are the logical start and end of the early modern period. Another version is to see how early you can place the start of the eighteenth century. Some people reckon 1660 is the limit, but I reckon that if I really put my mind to it I could get back as far as 1603.

For extra fun, this also tends to depend on which country you're talking about.

Also - 'While there's a rise of the merchant classes in the early modern' I'm sure I remember something my tutor said way back in the day about how literally everyone's period has a 'rise of the middle classes/merchant classes', no matter which century it is.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

feedmegin posted:

For extra fun, this also tends to depend on which country you're talking about.

for an extreme example, early modern japan ends in 1868-ish

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Also - 'While there's a rise of the merchant classes in the early modern' I'm sure I remember something my tutor said way back in the day about how literally everyone's period has a 'rise of the middle classes/merchant classes', no matter which century it is.

Well, you have to separate middle classes and merchant classes. Merchants were always around, but I'd say the growing role of skilled labour in the economy is a distinctive feature of early modern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

Well, you have to separate middle classes and merchant classes. Merchants were always around, but I'd say the growing role of skilled labour in the economy is a distinctive feature of early modern Europe.

I'm not sure that skilled labour is generally classified as middle class, though.