Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably a helpful thread for future show discussion - long story short, Trigger isn’t heavily involved in this show outside of design and animation, and all the writing is from A1’s end. So at the very least, predicting how this will go based on Trigger’s past output is unlikely to be too useful.

https://twitter.com/vermillionair3/status/955077081414668289

We still have Gridman and Promare left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably a helpful thread for future show discussion - long story short, Trigger isn’t heavily involved in this show outside of design and animation, and all the writing is from A1’s end. So at the very least, predicting how this will go based on Trigger’s past output is unlikely to be too useful.

https://twitter.com/vermillionair3/status/955077081414668289

1) In what way is this twitter person a reliable source?
2) The tweet itself contradicts what you said, regarding design.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i have more followers than that guy and i follow way less people

so i say Trigger did EVERYTHING

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Yeah, somewhat poor phrasing on my part. The mechanical design is by someone who works with Trigger, but isn’t a Trigger employee.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I barely saw Trigger when I watched it, it looked all A-1 to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

but it has boobs so it's trigger

RME
Feb 20, 2012

people are way too concerned what’s trigger and what’s not

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

the 'A' in A-1 stands for rear end

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Given Hiro looks like an extra from Birdy:Decode, there's hardly any evolution to who they got doing character designs. At least for him, the rest of the cast looks better IMO

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

weird that people tripped over themselves to defend the fanservice in KLK yet treat the stuff here like the most heinous crime imaginable...general internet discourse observation

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

People can argue the reason for the fanservice in KLK, FRANXX can't do that yet.

But given what we have, I hope it's a good one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Good god that entire second episode was cringe-worthy on so many levels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

weird that people tripped over themselves to defend the fanservice in KLK yet treat the stuff here like the most heinous crime imaginable...general internet discourse observation

Of course, it could simply be that KLK burnt a whole bunch of goodwill - though that’s not hugely relevant, of course, because Imaishi’s just the animation guy this time round.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

klk was about lesbians and satsuki had that one speech about how she doesn't care if people look at her, that makes me an ally when I masturbate to it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Understanding posted:

People can argue the reason for the fanservice in KLK, FRANXX can't do that yet.

But given what we have, I hope it's a good one.

The society they live in is ultra utilitaryism focused and heavily oppressive and controlling. The main group of characters are dominated by the thought and need to be useful and contributing, either from instilled sense of value or the fact that the threat seems to be a thinly veiled death sentence.

To that end the society doesn’t even view sex the way we see it, it’s purely a means of preserving the human race (because it defeats giant sound dinosaurs, much like in real life of course). All the acts are fully practical. Despite the fact that characters have crushes on other people they don’t understand shows of affection, like kissing and flirting (explicitly they don’t know what kissing is and are confused by what the word dealing could even mean). The fanservice to us is juxtaposed against this because of how contrasting the viewer would see it

Altnernatively and also, they want to make a horny show, and that’s fine too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

darealkooky posted:

klk was about lesbians and satsuki had that one speech about how she doesn't care if people look at her, that makes me an ally when I masturbate to it

:thunk:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kill la kill wasn't even the good anime about lesbians that aired in 2013

anyway i think people should actually wait to see where this show goes before being super judgy about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Regardless of whether or not that guy is accurate, you can literally pop over to any staff listing site and look at the guy who's both directing the series and wrote the plot outline, atsushi nishigori.

Has he worked on any trigger shows? No.

He wrote The Idolm@ster, did character design for panty and stocking and gurren lagann, and did storyboarding on the first rebuild of evangelion film. None of those are trigger. He's a mid-era Gainax guy who had a huge hand in rounding up the ex-Gainax crew that did Idolm@ster, and has since mostly done storyboarding for OPs.

Another writer on the project who's also credited with the plot outlines, as well as scripts, is Naotaka Hayashi, who wrote the original Steins;Gate VN as well as Plastic Memories. You'll note those also aren't Trigger anime, and he's never had any work involving Trigger in his entire life.

Regardless of the extent of Trigger's involvement, their involvement on the actual writing is literally zero. You don't need inside industry knowledge to know that, you can just look at the credits.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 22, 2018

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

Finally. Someone gets it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best girl in klk (nonon) was the one who had the least amount of fanservice relative to all the other female characters. thoughts?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Endorph posted:

the best girl in klk (nonon) was the one who had the least amount of fanservice relative to all the other female characters. thoughts?

Coincidental.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i want nonon to gather an entire orchestra and blare instruments into my ears, rendering me deaf

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

RME posted:

Altnernatively and also, they want to make a horny show, and that’s fine too.

I like the idea of a society so far removed from human sexuality that they don't see their bondage room mech cockpits the same way we do.

But then we have the scene in ep1 where Dr. FranXX just straight up grabs Nana's rear end. Creepy as it was, it could show it's not that ultra utilitarian, but the parasites live ultra controlled lives instead. They're already shown to be disposable.

I'm still wrapping my head around how the female partner is the interface/control console for the mechs. Their hoods are instrument clusters, their controls on their hips. They have heels (why?) Rewatching ep1 right now 0ni is wearing the appropriate suit for her mech.

I don't know, I'm going to watch it with my brain off until I can make more sense of it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

kill la kill wasn't even the good anime about lesbians that aired in 2013

Wasn't the only gay stuff in klk the butt slap meme scenes that broke everyone's brains wrt trigger forever anyway

but also

quote:

anyway i think people should actually wait to see where this show goes before being super judgy about it

The binge model wins again :smuggo:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakuga Blog did a rundown of FRANXX, which does a good job of saying who did what. The director is best known for Idolmaster.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

Wasn't the only gay stuff in klk the butt slap meme scenes that broke everyone's brains wrt trigger forever anyway

right at the end there's a sort of vaguely implied thing with mako asking ryuko out on a date and when ryuko is brainwashed in the second half she kisses nui on the lips. otherwise it's just rapemom yeah

meanwhile symphogear g aired in the same year

hell sasami-san aired the same year as kill la kill and the lesbian relationship in that was a monumentally bigger part of its plot

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 22, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm certain klk already had takes defending the nudity as empowering/subversive within the first two eps so yeah this show inspiring such strong disgust elsewhere online seems pretty weird to me, and the only thing i can really chalk it up to is the Trigger association bringing that bad blood? or maybe in a short few years the bar of tolerance has drastically dropped to where something like this is incredibly offensive idk

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

afaik most of the people I've seen not be into franxx didn't like KLK either.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

We counting the Nudist Beach stuff later on?

dogsicle posted:

i'm certain klk already had takes defending the nudity as empowering/subversive within the first two eps so yeah this show inspiring such strong disgust elsewhere online seems pretty weird to me, and the only thing i can really chalk it up to is the Trigger association bringing that bad blood? or maybe in a short few years the bar of tolerance has drastically dropped to where something like this is incredibly offensive idk

It got pretty hard to defend the repeated incestuous rape as empowering and subversive.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It got pretty hard to defend the repeated incestuous rape as empowering and subversive.

*cracks knuckles wickedhatedly* watch and learn

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the anime discourse has definitely changed in the intervening 5 years, but also everyone was trying to make themselves like trigger

Darth Walrus posted:

nudist beach
I said relative to all the other female characters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Her final Symphony Regalia consists of a heart-shaped maebari. But before that one, I'd agree with you.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

the anime discourse has definitely changed in the intervening 5 years, but also everyone was trying to make themselves like trigger

I said relative to all the other female characters.

There actually were female nudist beach grunts, but they never amounted to anything. Also there's tenis girl in the second episode, she was good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so we're doing this? What's next, Zorak coming back to ADTRW?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Sakuga Blog did a rundown of FRANXX, which does a good job of saying who did what. The director is best known for Idolmaster.

This is much better than the random twitter person, thank you.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I think internet discussion about sexuality in entertainment is hard to do, especially intentionally fetishy sexuality.

What if we had A Thread About Kill La Kill?

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 22, 2018

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's right people, this ain't a thread about lesbian incest and sexual clothing. This is the butt handles thread. Limit your discussion to butt handles and butt handle handling.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Subtlety is dead.
RIP

I will say this: This would've been a bit more interesting and entertaining and less misleading if it didn't have the giant robots in it and just was a normal show about the sex lives and relationship troubles of these couples. At least I wouldn't be as confused about the direction of this if it was just a regular slice of life. Like, I figured, "Oh hey, I haven't seen robots in a while" and went in blind and I now I'm just baffled.

I'm not sure why these things needed to be combined.

Like, just make a horny show about horny people. That's perfectly legit.

Why does it need the robots?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe this is the first anime, ever, to combine hosed up sexual dynamics and mecha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the robots should gently caress

• Locked thread