Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wandoos is a rare drop in Sky, and an uncommon drop from titans.

You ideally want to be getting all your energy when you feel comfortable, if you want to "set it and forget it" more speed/bars is always going to be good. I used to have it mathed to 3 minutes, but I was doing 15 minute long runs at that time. I'm back to doing hour long runs (they are easier to manage and let you do stuff with Yggdrasil). I currently hit cap at 7 minutes in which feels like a pretty good balance, I wouldn't go for much longer than 10.

You get the max NUMBER time multiplier at 1h, any longer and you are going to be holding yourself back in XP gains.

You also are going to want to math out if power or cap is a better idea. My sheet is kind of a mess at the moment and the old one still has perk calcs in it (actually mine still does). You should still be able to use the last one I posted. I need to find some time to do a cleanup and release a new version.

If you are farming sky you might want to take a look at HSB (the next zone) it's pretty comparable difficulty wise and has a new set. You also unlock the first titan when you unlock HSB, and you should be able to throw energy into advanced training for power and toughness to take him down. Titans have a 1h respawn timer and drop pretty good loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well, I can only do Sky if I am popping all my CDs and actually actively using skills; even still actively using skills I still think I need the Buffs to kill things in Sky. I'll bear it in mind though.

Thanks for the help, btw.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Question about the Adventure mode in NGU, I'm pushing up on boss 36 right now, but I'm still unable to even poke my head into the Forest in Adventure mode without getting torn apart. Is that typical, or is there something I missed?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Orfeo posted:

Question about the Adventure mode in NGU, I'm pushing up on boss 36 right now, but I'm still unable to even poke my head into the Forest in Adventure mode without getting torn apart. Is that typical, or is there something I missed?

It's going to depend on how you have progressed, it's pretty common to need to throw some XP into adventuring stats or grind the gear up to level 90+ and maxed out boosts to get to the next zone.

Money pit can give adventure stats, make sure you are throwing your gold in every hour, and that you are also starting new runs every hour.
You can also do quicker runs. You should probably be able to make really good XP with 30 minute runs where you are. Full 60 minute runs are kind of standard later but early on 7/10/12/15/30 runs usually get you a ton of good XP. I'm actually thinking where I am sub 60m runs might be good again but I don't really want to switch to going that fast right now too much focus.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 23, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orfeo posted:

I've unlocked 2-3 zones past the Forest and still can't idle the Forest.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
once you unlock the time machine you'll be able to get enough gold in a single run to trigger a special one-time boost to all adventure stats at the money pit. i dunno what the threshold is or if it's random whether or not it activates, but i think i got it around 7.5mil thrown in.

the boost is 10 power/toughness, 100 health, and 1 regen, which is more than enough to handle the forest if you have decent sewer equipment

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Venuz Patrol posted:

once you unlock the time machine you'll be able to get enough gold in a single run to trigger a special one-time boost to all adventure stats at the money pit. i dunno what the threshold is or if it's random whether or not it activates, but i think i got it around 7.5mil thrown in.

the boost is 10 power/toughness, 100 health, and 1 regen, which is more than enough to handle the forest if you have decent sewer equipment

Nice. I've been letting blood magic eat my gold whenever it gets to 5mil so I hadn't hit that yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, honestly, the adventure stuff is the weakest part of the game because there's such a gulf between "I can kill a boss every ~45 seconds by blowing everything and spamming all the attacks" and "yeah, I can idle this" and it's really frustrating.

That's by design, though, AFAIK, so. :shrug:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Arbitrary Number posted:

In NGU there's a bug where you can combine away protected items if you have an item of the same type equipped and right-click. I lost the upgrades because I stupidly did this and didn't save before.

RIP my maxed combat cheese.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, honestly, the adventure stuff is the weakest part of the game because there's such a gulf between "I can kill a boss every ~45 seconds by blowing everything and spamming all the attacks" and "yeah, I can idle this" and it's really frustrating.

That's by design, though, AFAIK, so. :shrug:

Well, if it's truly that frustrating, I can add in ways to buff the idle attack or otherwise shorten the gap. But if i make it so idling is 99% as effective as throwing everything you got at something, then it makes active play pointless which is just as bad.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, gold always feels like the thing like I never have enough of, and I don't know if I'm supposed to be dedicating a lot of time to Time Machine Speed or something.

I feel kinda aimless now that I've unlocked Challenges - I've done a basic challenge, and somehow it said I finished in 2 hours (:confused:) so I tried a 24-hour challenge and missed that by like... 2 minutes, but other than that I have no idea where to really go to make more progress. Just keep slogging through bosses? I dunno.

(For perspective, my EXP-based stats are: 25 energy speed, 7 bars, 7 power, 120k cap; 12 magic speed, 1 bar, 1.8 power, 10k cap, and I've bought Auto-Advance and a couple of inventory slots.)

I just hit this area today, and the game went from 'fairly focused' to 'do things, I guess?'. There needs to be something like a visible achievement to point the user to grind power, like a 'get 100k power in 10 minutes' (I have no idea of the actual numbers) to point people to grind out xp. I didn't know my next goal was to grind xp to get better energy until I read this thread.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

something posted:

Well, if it's truly that frustrating, I can add in ways to buff the idle attack or otherwise shorten the gap. But if i make it so idling is 99% as effective as throwing everything you got at something, then it makes active play pointless which is just as bad.

Yeah, no, there should still be some usefulness to being active, I agree, but I feel like the gap is too wide. Like, I can rock Sky/HSB stuff with everything running (all buffs, Charged Piercing, spamming Parry/Block on CD or in response to attacks, etc), but even with still actively using skills, without buffs I get stomped.

Maybe my gear's lacking? But even then it's like... I have upper 40-lower 50s of the Cave gear, a HSB chestpiece, and an Ascended Forest Pendant; it really feels like "80+ and maxed" is the threshold to jump, and that feels way too demanding, IMO.

It just feels like there's a lack of... direction, I guess? about how to bridge the gap without days and days of idling the preceding zone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I thought the benefit to being active was actually making use of your inventory.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i idled forest for 2-3 weeks without being close to idling the next stage, then played active for a day or two and got enough power to idle the next area. i agree that the gap is too much.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
NGU: What are the things impacted by idling while off browsing in another tab or being offline?

I've noticed that the rebirth energy isn't increasing that fast unless i have the game active and things like the augments don't seem to be running at the same speed as they are when i'm watching it.

Kin fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 24, 2018

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kin posted:

NGU: What are the things impacted by idling while off browsing in another tab or being offline?

I've noticed that the rebirth energy isn't increasing unless i have the game active and things like the augments don't seem to be running at the same speed as they are when i'm watching it.

Dunno about the offline report but the other tab thing is browser-related, tabs you aren't browsing in actively are throttled so if you want the game to run at full speed it needs to be in its own window.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

something posted:

What about rewarding active play with cool stuff instead of "punishing" idle play. E.g. if you are active you are guaranteed to get an item drop every kill, if you are idle it has the current drop rates. (which i assume are NOT an item every kill?)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Dunno about the offline report but the other tab thing is browser-related, tabs you aren't browsing in actively are throttled so if you want the game to run at full speed it needs to be in its own window.

Aha, thought that was maybe just an antimatter thing. New window should help that then.

I guess if I'm making 15 energy a second and at 20 a the rebirth energy cap is increased by 1, I expected there to be roughly a 3k cap increase after coming back an hour later. So when coming home from work 8 hours later, for example, the game should have offline idled the cap up by 24k ish. I'm coming back and it's not really budged from when I last looked at it in the morning.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

Don't fall in the trap of thinking that Active Play is something you should do a lot of. I agree it's a cool feature, and it's fun to press all of them once in a while, but if you're doing more than a few times it gets old real quick and is missing the point of an idle game.

I like the fact that if you use Active to fight a couple zones up, you can really boost your gold on the time machine. It's something you do once per run (or maybe a few times if you want to fight a boss, and don't like fleeing/returning), and it's important if you want to be efficient when you're constrained by gold. Maybe adjust the gold reward for higher zones upwards? Or add a Time Machine/other multiplier for number of different adventure boss/monster types killed? Gives another reason to do some active play and really push to see if you can active a zone.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Ineptitude posted:

What about rewarding active play with cool stuff instead of "punishing" idle play. E.g. if you are active you are guaranteed to get an item drop every kill, if you are idle it has the current drop rates. (which i assume are NOT an item every kill?)

I would argue that using the full set of moves IS the reward. Making a system to automatically use all your moves would inevitably have people still complaining it doesnt use them in the way they want. Not to mention would be a really big undertaking and not what I want to do anyways.

I agree that if you can push to the next zone's bosses when not idle but cant idle the previous zone's mooks then the power gap is too big. I'll do *something* at least with the next build.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
NGU: Let me make sure I understand stat relationships:
  • EnergySpeed: Floor(50/EnergySpeed) is how fast the bar fills, so any value other than 1/2/{a bunch of numbers between 2 and 5)/5/5.6/6.3/7.2/8.4/10/12.5/25/50 is meaningless. Also, it's unclear on what EnergySpeed on gear does here, if anything.
  • Energy Bars: Just straight multiplier for each time a bar fills.
  • Energy Power: Unclear if it works on basic training. I would think that having this at 2 means that it takes half the time to cap a training stat (i.e. if I have full cap allocated to Idle Attack, doubling my Energy Power should halve the time it takes to get to 5k levels and unlock the next attack), but I really can't tell. I also assume that this reduces level up time for Augments/Advanced Training/etc.
  • Advanced Training: This only increases base stats, not stats from gear?
  • Time Machine: The gains from energy/magic reset on rebirth? It is unclear.
  • Iron Pill/Blood Spaghetti: These do not reset on rebirth? It is unclear.
  • Auto-advance: Only affects basic training?

Suggestions/Bugs:
  • Heal ability is displaying as float instead of int.
  • Don't call it "Total Augment Bonus" since it starts at 1. Call it "Total Augment Multiplier", since that's what it really is.
  • Rebirth: Why bother displaying BossFactor/TimeFactor? The calculation for number is complex enough that the actual BossFactor/TimeFactor is meaningless. Why not just display Boss Number (i.e. Boss #50) and time in Hours:Minutes:Seconds? Hell, if there are hard bonuses for 15/30/60 minutes, just add exclamation points after the time to let people know they've hit a bonus.
  • The first rank of Danger Scissors says that it "Multiplies Boost Factor of Safety Scissors by 1". I think I understand the intent of this, but "Boost Factor" isn't used anywhere else and multiplying by 1 isn't actually an increase. This language needs cleaning up. Maybe make it like the Safety Scissors tooltip where you show the base amount and then the amount you are multiplying by.
  • It should be clearer that buying extra inventory space is only 1 space for 30 xp.

Here's an idea for the training screen where you can get more info to the player outside of tooltips:

Just have the bars go green when you've maxxed reduction for rebirth, show the current/cap in the bar. The only thing the tooltip would need to show is what the reduced number for rebirth is.

Unless something changes this later:

The red boxes show that the same information is duplicated 3 times on the page. If so: Get rid of the level column, delete the redundant info from the tooltip, and just use the numbers at the bottom. That gives you space to move the time remaining and cost out of the tooltip and onto the page.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Something (the dev) will have to answer the rest of the post but

NGU: To answer these:
  • EnergySpeed: Floor(50/EnergySpeed) is how fast the bar fills, so any value other than 1/2/{a bunch of numbers between 2 and 5)/5/5.6/6.3/7.2/8.4/10/12.5/25/50 is meaningless. Also, it's unclear on what EnergySpeed on gear does here, if anything.
    You got it 50/1 50/2 50/3 and so on. Energy Speed on gear is a multiplier for your speed so if you have 100% energy speed and 25 energy speed you have 50 energy speed and are at cap

• Energy Bars: Just straight multiplier for each time a bar fills.
    correct

• Energy Power: Unclear if it works on basic training. I would think that having this at 2 means that it takes half the time to cap a training stat (i.e. if I have full cap allocated to Idle Attack, doubling my Energy Power should halve the time it takes to get to 5k levels and unlock the next attack), but I really can't tell. I also assume that this reduces level up time for Augments/Advanced Training/etc.
    I don't think it does anything for the attack/defense it only takes a week or so to get all of the bars to max at 1 so it's not an issue. It's basically for augments, which are the main way you are going to be killing bosses. Advanced training doesn't get the full benefit.

• Advanced Training: This only increases base stats, not stats from gear?
    It increases everything but goes away when you rebirth, it's not very useful for short runs until you have a lot of energy power. It is very useful for pushing another zone or first few kills for a titan on an overnight run
  • Time Machine: The gains from energy/magic reset on rebirth? It is unclear.
    yes this resets on rebirth, you will be able to get some really nice numbers when you get more energy power. It's not useful to level it when you first unlock it, but even the base gold it gives is a massive boost.

• Iron Pill/Blood Spaghetti: These do not reset on rebirth? It is unclear.
    Iron Pill is perm stats, the other 2 (loot and gold) are for that birth only

• Auto-advance: Only affects basic training?
    Correct, it is the only thing that caps out and unlocks new things on a per run basis. You will be doing this a lot later on. It's very nice to just right click the plus and have 6 energy in both attack and defense and it just does it's thing.

The game is pretty confusing as a newbie most of the issues are easy to figure out by experimenting. They should be spelled out better and I believe that is what the help section Something is implementing for next patch will do. Nothing is terribly hard to figure out just not always worded the best as you point out.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 24, 2018

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Thats the #1 focus in the near future yeah. Its been easy to just make all these widgets and doodads and understand them cause i made them myself. And its easy enough for anyone familiar with something like itrtg to grok it too. But a brand new idle game player is probably way more confused and I want to do everything I can to ease them into the game and understand the impact of each feature. But I know some explanations still fall flat and some UI rework is needed before release.

E: Though for some things like all the factors for number I DO want to show all the raw base number because if I just say " 15 minute bonus unlocked" or "you killed boss 42" (which is something you can clearly see on the boss menu anyways) it isnt giving much context for how it impacts your number. I can definitely display the numbers better than just the raw double though.

something fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 24, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

something posted:

Thats the #1 focus in the near future yeah. Its been easy to just make all these widgets and doodads and understand them cause i made them myself. And its easy enough for anyone familiar with something like itrtg to grok it too. But a brand new idle game player is probably way more confused and I want to do everything I can to ease them into the game and understand the impact of each feature. But I know some explanations still fall flat and some UI rework is needed before release.

Can you confirm whether Energy Power affects basic training, then before I dump xp into it?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Toshimo posted:

Can you confirm whether Energy Power affects basic training, then before I dump xp into it?

Energy Power has no bearing on Train Attack/Defense.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Current plan for idle mode is, I'll lock all moves when idle mode is on, and also cancel any current buffs ( this is just to prevent exploity stuff), and in return, idle mode will have a 1.5 damage factor attack and probably a slight hp regen multiplier that kicks in after 15 seconds ( again, to prevent abuse). We'll see how it goes.

As for all that display stuff, I was playing with the UI and honestly didn't the way it presented the information. I appreciate the suggestions, but I feel it's just changing one set of issues for another.

edit: VV Done.

something fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 25, 2018

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Any chance of getting Wandoos to respond to d-click autocombining? i leave the game on tree when i go to sleep and i come back to like six copies lol

e: yay!

neongrey fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2018

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Toshimo posted:

The red boxes show that the same information is duplicated 3 times on the page. If so: Get rid of the level column, delete the redundant info from the tooltip, and just use the numbers at the bottom. That gives you space to move the time remaining and cost out of the tooltip and onto the page.
That's actually three different numbers. Bar fills per second from the first 50 levels of the green energy section (like energy speed but for the time machine bar), Gold Multiplier from the yellow magic bar section, and the part in the tooltip that could use some explanation: you get ANOTHER bonus multiplier that starts at 51 = 2 from the energy section after it reaches 50. The total gold multiplier is the product of all these various numbers.

Regarding adventure progression:
Cave->Sky/High Security is definitely the most awkward part of the game, for several reasons:
  • It's about the worst point in the game in terms of inventory management, requiring 8(+7 equipped) slots for the cheese and magitech sets, plus 3-4 for forest drops. So you can't really afk and deal with your drops every 15 minutes without spending a bunch of XP on inventory slots.
  • You don't really have enough energy to use advanced training, which is used for all the future progression leaps (boost adv training in a long run so you can idle the next zone until you have everything to a decent +x, then farm sky for boosts until the new equipment is usable.)
  • You're probably unlocking Sky, HSB, GRB, and Clockwork via 'boss fight' progression, whereas before you were at most 1 zone behind. So it feels like you're stalled and way behind in adventure progression. (You can solve this by spending XP in adventure power, but that may not be obvious. Maybe adjusting the intro tutorial (look, you can't kill the training boss! let's buy some stats so you can!) and adding another "special offer" for power and health regen would get players used to buying some stats to get to the next zone?).
  • Unless one has been added, there's no real pointer to new players that says 'sky is this weird side zone not really in the main progression and you need to go to high security for the next set of gear.'

pixaal posted:

I'm actually thinking where I am sub 60m runs might be good again but I don't really want to switch to going that fast right now too much focus.
With your stats you'll probably find 15 minute runs give about 2x the xp/hr of 1 hour runs, but they do take so much micro...
edit: What's your 1 hour run look like? I'm doing 15 minutes of time machine, then 15 minutes of augment/blood magic, then 15 minutes of adv. training -
wandoos/blood magic, then 15 minutes of wandoos. I kill the tree with gold find gear then harvest fruit of gold and dump it all into the augment multiplier at the end.

Also, a really important but non-obvious interaction for the new players: because of the way the NUMBER is calculated, 2x blood magic production is worth 10x augment (or other attack/defense modifiers) bonus.

cyrn fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 25, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Stupid Antimatter Galaxies question: Does the "earn IP at 10% of your fastest rate" upgrade not work online? Or is Firefox just loving with me or something?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
It's been working for me. Check Statistics -> Past Infinities to see what your last 10 look like and how it's pulling the average, an especially long run can drag it down quite a bit.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

something posted:

I would argue that using the full set of moves IS the reward. Making a system to automatically use all your moves would inevitably have people still complaining it doesnt use them in the way they want. Not to mention would be a really big undertaking and not what I want to do anyways.

I agree that if you can push to the next zone's bosses when not idle but cant idle the previous zone's mooks then the power gap is too big. I'll do *something* at least with the next build.

I didn't mean that the abilities themselves should be used auto

"Fully idle, like idle adventure is now" = Drop rates like they are now

"Manually clicking buttons, e.g. active play" = Better drop rates than now

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

As a general new player strat should I be dumping my exp into the energy boosting areas?

I'm only at a 50k cap on energy at the minute and it's taking ages to get up to it because it's only generating about 20 a sec. My aim was to just use my exp on the energy generation upgrade that says it caps at 50 before then putting it into other things.

Is there a better use for my exp at the beginning?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I like being able to keep [Idle Mode] on but still able to manually trigger the defensive buffs.
It doesn't require 100% attention like triggering every single skill.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

NGU: Something, would it be possible to make the dropdown for Adventure Mode take you to that zone regardless of it's the zone with a checkbox already? It's vaguely annoying to have to select a zone one ahead/behind and then use the arrow after getting defeated, for example.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Um... What? If you select zone X it should be taking you to zone X. Is there a bug?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

something posted:

Um... What? If you select zone X it should be taking you to zone X. Is there a bug?

Yeah, if the last zone I picked was The Sky (and that's what shows up in the dropdown), and I click the dropdown and click The Sky again, I don't move from where I am. Picture example:

When it looks like this, if I click the list and click The Sky, I go nowhere. I have to either click Cave or HSB and go forward/backward to get to Sky.

If it's on something else, like this:

I can click on The Sky and it works normally.

E: for disclosure, I'm playing in Chrome; no sure if this effects it or not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NGU: Sometimes a message is taking up the tooltip and I want to see my equipment stats or some other tooltip. Can you add a clear tooltip key? Maybe shift, or if you want it to be unique End or something? I still think a system log of the last 10 or so system tooltips would be useful.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

The pics really helped me understand thanks. I'll try to fix it this afternoon and probably just release all these changes as the next build.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

something posted:

The pics really helped me understand thanks. I'll try to fix it this afternoon and probably just release all these changes as the next build.

Awesome! Would it also be possible to get the Safe Zone added as a fast-travel destination for ease of healing if nothing else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Er, yeah! Thinking back I have no clue why i didnt add it in to begin with.