Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Intruder posted:

Source your quotes

This board, i only am pointing out the obvious, top stars are worth those contracts by the revenue they generate for the league.
However, if you pay a few top stars, all the stars for each individual team commands the same salary. Also it it creates an inflated salary for each individual class of free agents. Sometimes those free agents aren't worth the pay and sources cry collusion if those free agents do not get paid.(see MLB right now!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hrrrm yeah yeah but. counterpoint: no

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tae posted:

Jose was on the Warriors last season for 2 hours before being released for Matt Barnes

Ugh, that makes the Warriors winning worse, didn't think that was possible

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 24, 2018

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

chilihead posted:

This board, i only am pointing out the obvious, top stars are worth those contracts by the revenue they generate for the league.
However, if you pay a few top stars, all the stars for each individual team commands the same salary. Also it it creates an inflated salary for each individual class of free agents. Sometimes those free agents aren't worth the pay and sources cry collusion if those free agents do not get paid.(see MLB right now!)

:thunk:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

Source your quotes

The point he's trying to make is that if you are paying the maximum contract to someone who isnt one of the absolute best players, you're in hot water. Harrison Barnes
George Hill
Reggie Jackson

If you pay players who aren't good one of allotted large contracts, your team won't be good. Since we're fans of sports we have to sit around and hope some guys make the right decisions. He's not complaining about players being 'overpaid' but about how the existence of a max salary means teams will lock themselves into a hierarchy by overpaying players relative to their talent relative to the value teams get from Lebron, Curry, Durant, excretera.

To win in Basketball you need luck, intelligence, secret doping programs, corporate espionage, paying instagram hos to pass on bacterial infections, etc

Compromise on any part of smart management and only the best player in the world being born 40 minutes from your arena will save you

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 24, 2018

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

OK let me be more clear, the best teams manage the cap and contracts better then most, but i can see problems in almost every league when paying players anywhere from 1/5th to 1/4th of total money they have to spend. Please tell me how i am wrong here?

chilihead fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 24, 2018

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

The point he's trying to make is that if you are paying the maximum contract to someone who isnt one of the absolute best players, you're in hot water. Harrison Barnes
George Hill
Reggie Jackson

If you pay players who aren't good one of allotted large contracts, your team won't be good. Since we're fans of sports we have to sit around and hope some guys make the right decisions. He's not complaining about players being 'overpaid' but about how the existence of a max salary means teams will lock themselves into a hierarchy by overpaying players relative to their talent relative to the value teams get from Lebron, Curry, Durant, excretera.

To win in Basketball you need luck, intelligence, secret doping programs, corporate espionage, paying instagram hos to pass on bacterial infections, etc

Compromise on any part of smart management and only the best player in the world being born 40 minutes from your arena will save you

he seems to think its not a function of a max salary, but cause everyone has to pay their star or something. sprinkled in with a bunch of lovely codewords and it reads pretty bad

but yeah if you are paying someone a max who is worth a max and not drastically over it, you are loving up

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The initial Bad Post said that no one should be getting paid that much

Like yeah in a salary cap situation if you wasted 35m a year on Timofey Mozgod you've made a mistake

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the most deleterious effects of the salary cap are bill simmons columns about bad contracts and anyone using the word "assets"

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

A LeBron tier player is priceless so paying him 35-40m a year is a literal steal

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Basically, you sound like someone who would criss a picket line

Scabs are first against the wall

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The problem isn't that "low-end" stars are overpaid, it's that "top-end" stars are so underpaid that that is what you need to exploit. The solution isn't to try to curb salaries down further, it's to get rid of the maximum contracts so players like Lebron and Durant can command salaries that prohibit other "top end" stars to play next to them.

Remove the max salary, and make the cap hard (or nearly hard). The amount the players as a total receive is the same amount (~50% BRI) whether or not you have 1,000 max contracts or 0 so a hard cap doesn't remove revenue from the players. That'll probably just glut the league with minimum contract guys, but its a choice between that or building teams out of top-15 guys or not being a contender.

Also, are we just giving up on Isaiah Thomas this season?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Kevin Durant is also Anti-Labor, one of his many faults.

Fart huffing softbaby!!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Kevin Durant is also Anti-Labor, one of his many faults.

Fart huffing softbaby!!

it only makes sense. hes far wealthier than joe lacob, who is the real laborer in their arrangement after all

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Trickle down is working!!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

The problem isn't that "low-end" stars are overpaid, it's that "top-end" stars are so underpaid that that is what you need to exploit. The solution isn't to try to curb salaries down further, it's to get rid of the maximum contracts so players like Lebron and Durant can command salaries that prohibit other "top end" stars to play next to them.

Remove the max salary, and make the cap hard (or nearly hard). The amount the players as a total receive is the same amount (~50% BRI) whether or not you have 1,000 max contracts or 0 so a hard cap doesn't remove revenue from the players. That'll probably just glut the league with minimum contract guys, but its a choice between that or building teams out of top-15 guys or not being a contender.

Every single thing about the economics of pro sports is stupid. America pays a cable tax and a beer tax and a ford truck tax and various hotel taxes so that football players can make 15m per year. It's all stupid. Thinking about it puts me in a foul mood

At least boxers earn their money fairly, people push a button to pay to watch the fight, and the two fighters (theoretically) split the money.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Personally I think I should get paid for watching pro sports.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/theshrillest/status/956004171261526017

Its happening for sure

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm the Paul George perfectly legal screen https://twitter.com/UpTheThunder/status/956003476223471618

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

at the time sarah kustok called it "sneaky" but in a highly complimentary sense, well done

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lmao PG trucked Dinwiddie, that was a 90s pick there

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Nikola Mirotic posted:

“[Rajon Rondo] is such a good guy, such a good professional, does everything so right… he is the best teammate I ever had.”

“I’ve had some teammates or people that just showed up when something good was happening, not bad. He understood about sticking together and getting guys on the same page. I really love him for who he is. When [the Bulls] cut him [last summer], I was really disappointed because I wanted him on my team at least another year. But this is the NBA, and we’re all moving on.’’

“I learned a lot from Rajon… there’s no doubt that having him as a teammate has helped me [deal] with things, even this year.’’

https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-news-nikola-mirotic-rajon-rondo-best-teammate/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Lmao

https://twitter.com/JamelleMac/status/956002881982869504

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i wonder who niko considers his worst teammate

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

i wonder who niko considers his worst teammate

I'd say Bobby Portis has a puncher's chance, but it's probably Dwyane Wade.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Metapod posted:

Toronto is going to the finals

I actually feel better about the win the east bets than the win the conference bets right now.

And yes, that really probably should have been two bets, but I put 5 bucks on Toronto winning the east and then went back 1 minute later going "Man, that deserves another 5 bucks".

e: Realistically it's probably lost money, but the current odds at Bodog for the Raptors winning the east are +500, so I'm gonna say I got in at the right time.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Q1IpTV2X4

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
News:

https://streamable.com/aexak

Views:

Lol

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

^^ he gone

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Please god no. Don't sic Toronto fans on the interweb that way. Not like that.

Can confirm, am Toronto fan.

I know leafs fans already have 'that' reputation so its only going to be compounded when/if those guys jump on the bandwagon.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Inject the shade in my veins https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/956013941028786176

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

George Hill isn't very good for the Kings right now as either a player or a mentor, so cutting him loose isn't the worse thing in the world. But unless you can move Shump and Frye separately then it kind of sucks that all you get is slightly more cap space this summer and you might be just tempted to see how things work out in the summer or next season

Having to dump a young player, even one as underwhelming as Richardson, to do it is just more insult

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also next year, the Kings don't have their pick so I dunno what the kings are doing other than spiting Boston

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
booo
https://twitter.com/Dennis1SmithJr/status/955871312488083456

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Free throws aren't free

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

In addition to the six 40/20/10 games Wilt had he also had at least six other games of 40/20 and 10+ unofficial blocks.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/955976255618342918

The law of movie posters means LeBron is the bad guy

They forgot Julius Winfield Erving II.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao if they trade rose to the loving kings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YM0Ln7KgrU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Short of a miracle trade, this sure feels like the last year of the Cavs in the Finals

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

LBJ reaches 30K the same night that the Cavaliers go into negative MOV territory.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Sheriff posted:

I’m ashamed of how much I want to see Kawhi leave the Spurs. Not for any basketball reasons, but because of the morbid curiosity of seeing how a fan base whose worst memory of the past 30 years is intentionally tanking two decades ago to land one of the best PFs of all time will handle something like this.

This could be the first season Popovich doesn't have a 60% WP% since 1997. Time to give him the pink slip.

Metapod posted:

Let's go dipo 👏👏👏

Bullshit George didn't make it

PG-13 is the second best 3P shooter this year. Naturally he was left off the roster for the zero defense, 3P chucking game.

Lockback posted:

It's probably going to be a case of too little, too late. For him to be counteract his shortcomings and replace Kyrie he needs to be shooting like the #1 guy in the league. He's not close to that yet.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

big boi posted:

Short of a miracle trade, this sure feels like the last year of the Cavs in the Finals

Maybe? I mostly agree with you but a small part of my brain feels weird betting against Lebron. I won't really believe it till I see it, but Lebron also used to be ridiculously good while still not making the finals ever year so obviously there's a precedent. Kinda weird to think back of the days where the Cavs were getting taken out by the Celtics/Magic/whatever. Obviously it's got to end at some point but it still feels weird. It's been such a constant for so long, I've been conditioned to expect it at this point.

It's kinda pathetic that this is a downgrade worth pointing out, but I don't see the Cavs sweeping anyone at least in the playoffs. It's been years of watching Lebron 4-0 chumps on the way to the conference finals (or in the conference finals in Atlanta's case), but this years Cavs are so defensively lovely and inconsistent that I can't imagine them not dropping games along the way to pretty much anyone, if not losing outright at some point. That shouldn't feel like a notable point, but I don't think I've seen Lebron in a competitive series in the east since the Miami-Indy days. I figure that's probably over this year.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 24, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Maybe? I won't really believe it till I see it, but Lebron also used to be ridiculously good while still not making the finals ever year so obviously there's a precedent. Kinda weird to think back of the days where the Cavs were getting taken out by the Celtics/Magic/whatever. Obviously it's got to end at some point but it still feels weird. It's been such a constant for so long.

Lebron has a much better idea of when to involve others and when to do it himself now, and a better jumper and those two things can carry a team farther than his extra speed and athleticism during that time. I still really don't see a team with him losing the East other than maybe a flukey mega three dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

chilihead posted:

OK let me be more clear, the best teams manage the cap and contracts better then most, but i can see problems in almost every league when paying players anywhere from 1/5th to 1/4th of total money they have to spend. Please tell me how i am wrong here?

I know you're trolling, but rosters are relatively small and an individual player can have a dramatic effect on a team's success and is due commensurate financial compensation.

Also, holy poo poo if the Sixers win a title the city will burn.
https://twitter.com/nicky_robby/status/955986469574926339

• Locked thread