Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
HODLing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7h6oWYYius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/956053106516688898

So Bitfinex's accountants have dropped them as a client. No audit for you!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

remember kids, don't get rekt!

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
lmao

two quality updates, thank you. Dane Cook fan whoever that is

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm all in on MJX

My man

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Jesus Christ

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

paternity suitor posted:

Lol, my man, you are in dangerous violation of BFC protocol. Please hand in your badge and gun

I don't want to spend all day splitting long, fine hairs about this but DCF or whatever "fair valuation" model you want to employ deviates pretty wildly from the Shiller PE ratio as it exists in 2018.

Markets are exuberant, and whether or not you believe it for equities as an asset class, it's pretty decidedly modeling in a lot of optimism.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy crap this is the first time I've heard of Bitconnect. What a loving glorious disaster.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It'd be awesome if a company could go bankrupt and then pull a bitconnect and pay off their outstanding debts by giving people their worthless stock at the market rate from before they went bankrupt.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Salt Fish posted:

It'd be awesome if a company could go bankrupt and then pull a bitconnect and pay off their outstanding debts by giving people their worthless stock at the market rate from before they went bankrupt.

The true innovation of Bitcoin will be the enshrinement of even shittier investment policies like this, and investment capital doesn't buy ownership stake but TF2 hats coins.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I bet Josh Garza is kicking himself in prison right now.

"gently caress, why did i say $20, i could have been a billionaire if i just said $1"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Are they able to arrest the owner of Bitconnect, or did he word the terms and conditions so perfectly he didn't do anything illegal?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Contracts don't protect you from illegal acts you do anyway. Like it might save you in civil court maaaybe but if you violated the law the contract doesn't matter.

That's why stuff like non-competes are very difficult to enforce - the contract doesn't supersede the actual law.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 24, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Over There posted:

Are they able to arrest the owner of Bitconnect, or did he word the terms and conditions so perfectly he didn't do anything illegal?

The SEC has pretty solid regulations and you can't pull the same sort of scam that would be illegal in traditional markets just because you're calling it something else in some new paradigm bs. You can't say you're not committing securities fraud because you're not calling what you're using securities, for example.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/researchers-one-person-caused-bitcoin-144100582.html

this is good for bitcoin because

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

univbee posted:

The SEC has pretty solid regulations and you can't pull the same sort of scam that would be illegal in traditional markets just because you're calling it something else in some new paradigm bs. You can't say you're not committing securities fraud because you're not calling what you're using securities, for example.

But what if it is opposite day?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

There might be as many as two people involved this time

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zil posted:

But what if it is opposite day?

"We find you not guilty. Too bad it's opposite day :smug:"

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They've probably even been convicted before for the same crime, these guys are always happy to try again.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I am saving all of my money to invest in the SAbuttcoin. Lowtax, make my profits grow.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Doobcoin profits going up uP UP!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

joats posted:

I am saving all of my money to invest in the SAbuttcoin. Lowtax, make my profits grow.

The number of coins in circulation should track to each post made on the forums.

The coins are the posts on the forums. Owning a coin/post gives the ability to edit it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Doobcoin profits going up uP UP!

You might say they’re “Piled high”!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

joats posted:

*Only redeemable for mangosteen juice, which still makes it more inherently valuable than every other buttcoin

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The best part of any crypto scam is that the buttcoin populations reaction isn't "Oh, wow, there are flaws in the system that we need to fix" but instead "Oh man, should have thought of that first"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

*jerks it to bitcoin*

Ahhh I’m so closeeeee

*instead of sperm, satoshi comes out*

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

joats posted:

Imagine - a modern forum built on blockchain technology. It's the future! Each post is confirmed and verified by the whole network and incurs only a small transaction fee to ensure that Buttcoin miners are compensated. Before being able to make a new post, every client also has to download the full history of all the posts since the SA founding - all part of the design behind the ButtWallet. It should only take 30-40 minutes for your post to be confirmed, depending on current buttnetwork traffic. Also, all posts are final, no "edit post" abuse like with current tech!

Lowtax is estimating 100 billion market cap within 2-4 weeks of the ICO.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 24, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

Imagine - a modern forum built on blockchain technology. It's the future! Each post is confirmed and verified by the whole network and incurs only a small transaction fee to ensure that Buttcoins miners are compensated. Before being able to make a new post, every client also has to download the full history of all the posts since the SA founding - all part of the design behind the ButtWallet. Also, all posts are final, no "edit post" abuse like with current tech!

Lowtax is estimating 100 billion market cap within 2-4 weeks of the ICO.

Don’t be silly

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Helldump, but with Bitcoin!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In regards to some legal talk a few posts back:

I worked for a domain registrar about 12 years ago. There was a glaring security flaw that could allow a person to have a domain switched over to their ownership by forging a notary form which was easy as anything.

I asked how this is allowed under company policy and the explanation was that under law, our policies and contracts only have to protect our customers from legal acts. Forging a notary form is illegal and as such we don't have to protect ourselves from it.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

joats posted:

Something Awful Tokens, send one satoshi to a throwaway address and receive one SAT. 1 sat = 1 SAT

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Ottawa police have arrested one suspect and are looking for two others after employees at a bitcoin financial institution were held up at gunpoint Tuesday.

The attempted robbery happened on Concourse Gate off Colonnade Road just before 11 a.m., police said in a media release issued Wednesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/robbery-ottawa-search-bitcoin-1.4501719

uh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I am currently living on $22 dollars a day, and now 2 weeks behind on rent. This is the story of how I ended up where I am. I first heard of Bitconnect through a friend, we'll call him Jim. Jim was making hundreds of dollars daily through the platform and crypto in general. I had been given 20k for living costs/partial tuition payments by my family. Life was good. Although I knew I'd plunge into debts because of tuition fees, things aren't as bad as they are now. Perhaps the most crippling thing about this scam was it's aggressive affiliate marketing strategy. While Jim was out making hundreds, my money sat in the bank doing nothing whilst I worked as a waiter part time. So I decided to ask him about it. Jim told me about the trading bot and all. Now I know you guys are going to be like " It's was so obvious that it was a scam, It was too good to be true". There was no hard evidence it was a scam, there were general statements that it was a scam however it was devoid of ANY evidence that it was a ponzi scheme because they made us made us believe it was a legitimate company with all these events in Asia, and the mass promotion of the site by affiliates that made the dream seem deal. IT WAS FEASIBLE , if you consider the volatility of bitcoin, the mass amount that was traded ( even with slippage) it could still work. It was feasible that it could produce such large sums of money daily, maybe not forever, but in the current market it seemed possible. He was actually getting paid out and highly recommended the site. Thats the problem with these sites, they don't promote the platform by themselves through adverts ... Its the people closest to you who was telling you and your peers to invest. Users of the site are doing the marketing. Its a spineless strategy that hurts entire communities. All promotors have to do is convince one person. And that one person who believes tells the people who trust him and they all invest. And thats exactly what I did. I admit I got greedy... On Dec 7 I put in 16k, everything I had. The lock-in period wasn't too long and I intended to perform the 60/60 strategy to maximise profit. I was earning an Average of $200 daily and I was living the dream. I could afford to spend more and I didn't have to work part-time because I took out enough from my daily interest to sustain me as I reinvested( not exactly 60/60 but The best thing I could afford). It was a month of Bliss. I had referred others. I felt like I was helping people be more financially independent. In total I had only referred 2 people, however each person took out a 10k loan. One sold their car to go into this. by the time I had my second referral put in It was 2018 already. The was about 2 weeks were they were earning some money and we all went out a lot because we thought we could afford it. Me, Jim and my other two friends were living the high life we were worry free and we maintained a positive attitude because the sponsorship system brought us together and we were able to ignore the FUD as a group. During the cease and desist and Ddos attack we had faith that the platform would pull through like they always did. The night before the shutdown we were out partying. I met probably the hottest girl I had seen in my entire existence, I was telling her how I was a crypto entrepreneur and stuff( yes I was acting like a wanker), but she seemed impressed. Bitconnect gave me so much belief in myself, I had the courage to speak to this beautiful woman knowing I was financially able to support another person as well as myself. We exchanged contact details during the party then parted ways after a night of meaningful talks, hookups and talks about the future. I woke up the next morning with that smug look on my face. The kind of look you give when you feel at your best in a super cocky way. I felt like the Leo Decaprio, in The Wolf of Wall Street. Here was this cheeky kid meeting beautiful women, partying hard, succeeding and having his friends succeed alongside him. As i did routinely, I'd check my lending wallet balance so I could withdraw some and put it in the bank. Halfway through loading the webpage, the groupchat goes off. An article from one of my friends. The end of lending had come. Worried and but reluctant that I was reimbursed in my wallet I proceeded to send them to an exchange. But I was late to the party. Within hours the price had dropped from $400 to $12. Not only had I been screwed by Bitconnect. I was screwed by the market. But more importantly I was screwed by Jim, my close friend. And I had convinced others to lend over 20k in total. I haven't seen or heard from Jim since, He decided to dropout after his girlfriend broke up with him and go work fulltime instead. Am I as guilty as those who promoted to the masses online? My friends feel cheated, Like I had deceived them for commissions. In the end Bitconnect was able to steal over 1 billion dollars in investor's money as well as ruin the lives of 1.5 million of it's users. Were we all simply a tool to allure others into getting scammed. I'm working two jobs now, one for rent and food. And other for tuition. There are many people suffering out there because of the damage Bitconnect has done. But there are many In this very community that have profited massively from the shortcomings of people like myself and my peers. I'm on a major budget, $5 bucks is enough for a box of noodles that could feed the 3 of us for about 2 days. I know begging is not allowed in this subreddit, so I won't. But if you have profited substantially from this ponzi scheme I urge you to do the right thing and reimburse the newer investors( the people) whose money that was stolen and given to you by the platform due to the nature of the ponzi scheme. It doesn't have to be me, but if you wish to do so please indicate in the comments below. I hope you all learn from the mistake I made. NEVER put all your eggs in one basket. and NEVER tell your friends to place their eggs in the same basket as your own. My last hope is for BCC to moon.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

jonathan posted:

In regards to some legal talk a few posts back:

I worked for a domain registrar about 12 years ago. There was a glaring security flaw that could allow a person to have a domain switched over to their ownership by forging a notary form which was easy as anything.

I asked how this is allowed under company policy and the explanation was that under law, our policies and contracts only have to protect our customers from legal acts. Forging a notary form is illegal and as such we don't have to protect ourselves from it.

lol what the gently caress?!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The ol’ Bitconnect Disconnect

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Lost all his parents money, still calls the warnings FUD. :bitcoin:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I hope you all learn from the mistake I made. NEVER put all your eggs in one basket.
If I could do it all over again knowing what I do now, I’d be wise enough to only put half of my money into this very obvious scam

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Everyone was saying it was a scam, but no one provided hard evidence it was a scam.

So imagine my surprise when I learned it was indeed a scam--there's no way I could have known!

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lime Tonics posted:

Ottawa police have arrested one suspect and are looking for two others after employees at a bitcoin financial institution were held up at gunpoint Tuesday.

The attempted robbery happened on Concourse Gate off Colonnade Road just before 11 a.m., police said in a media release issued Wednesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/robbery-ottawa-search-bitcoin-1.4501719

uh.

my god it's the beginning of the plot of every cyberpunk book