Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Anyone do their own grips? Any tips/ recommendations?
Yeah, I've regripped my own grips since 2006. It's the simplest process ever. You need:

1) Hooked blade to use with a box cutter

2) Double-sided grip tape

3) Solvent. Lighter fluid works just as well as official grip solvent, though in my experience it dries out slightly quicker giving you less time to align the logo.

Steps:

1) Remove the old grip with the hooked blade and remove the old tape. On a steel shaft, you can use the box cutter's straight blade, but for graphite, you'll need to just use your fingers.

2) Cut a strip of double sided grip tape that's just barely longer than the length of the grip itself. Apply it to the shaft with a little bit extending past the end of the shaft that you can fold over. This softens the edge, creating an on-ramp that helps the new grip slide on. It also helps debris from getting into your shaft since your grip has a hole in the butt. If you play your grips thicker than standard, you would apply build-up tape first (think masking tape) before using the double-sided grip tape. You could use double-sided grip tape to build up thickness, but it's wasteful since it's more expensive and it's also thicker than build-up tape, so depending on what you've used in the past, e.g. 2 layers of build up tape, you won't get the same result.

3) Pour a little solvent into the inside of your grip. This will lubricate the inside as well as remove any rubber particles left over from manufacture. You'll want to plug that hole in the butt, either with your finger or with a tee. Swish it around a little then pour out the solvent over the grip tape. Align the grip logo about where you want it and slide the grip on; it helps to hold the grip by the opening and squeeze it a little. You'll want to have either an extra grip or installed grip on hand to make sure the new grip is installed to the right length. This is because grips stretch when you install them and you don't want it stretch out too much or too little since that affects the grip thickness. You can firmly tap the end of the club on the ground to make sure it's fully on. You'll have a solid minute to adjust the grip so the logo is aligned the way you like.

One note is about what size grips to buy. Historically, .580" core grips were used on .580" butt shafts and similarly .600" core grips were used on .600" butt shafts for "standard" size but nobody has used that for a couple decades. .580 core grips on .600 butt shafts results in a slightly oversized grip but it's the "new standard" which, again, is more than 20 years old. .600 core grips seem to have a larger market share these days, in large part due to the popularity of the Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound which is only sold in .600. My guess is that Golf Pride and Lamkin gravitate to .600 core grips because it uses less rubber so they can save money, and in the case of the NDMC, it's half as many SKUs to only make .600 since they're already dealing with multiple colors.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I'll never leave you again FootJoy. Got a credit for the Nike's and he gave me a discount on the ComfortFIT Boa shoes:

Real comfy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

I'll never leave you again FootJoy. Got a credit for the Nike's and he gave me a discount on the ComfortFIT Boa shoes:

Real comfy.
ContourFIT. And yeah, that's a much higher quality shoe. 2 year waterproof guarantee too.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I stand corrected. But I will call them Comfy Fit :haw:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Halo14 posted:

I stand corrected. But I will call them Comfy Fit :haw:

Footjoy makes great shoes. I’ve had Dryjoy Tours for years now and they’re fantastic. My brother got the Pro/SL and loves them. I really want to get a pair of the ICONs but $299 is a bit steep.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

lighter fluid

I use paint thinner. Don't know if it's cheaper than lighter fluid, but it works great.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Don't forget a bench vise attached to a 1,000 lb iron workbench so you can shove the grips on. Especially watch your rear end trying to put on Superstroke XXL type grips, you have one shot to push those fuckers on and they are very unforgiving.

I just use the solvent Golf Works solvent from Golf Galaxy, it's not expensive or anything but it gets bad reviews for seizing up too quickly. Mineral spirits from the hardware store works the best but is smellier. Also put a paint tray under to catch the extra juice for re-use.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 25, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Decent interview with Tiger about his club testing process, his equipment through the years, and thoughts on equipment limits: https://www.pgatour.com/long-form/2018/01/23/tiger-woods-equipment-taylormade-testing-q-and-a.html

I meant to post this a few days ago. This was such a fascinating reading.

I spoke to a friend about his conversation with Rory. It seems like a no brainer that "swing harder = ball goes farther," but these guys are optimized to a specific swing speed based on trackman numbers, and unless they change their launch angles, higher swing speed is going to impart more spin, which will rob them of distance.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Guys, Tiger loving Woods is playing in a meaningful tournament today!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

Footjoy makes great shoes. I’ve had Dryjoy Tours for years now and they’re fantastic. My brother got the Pro/SL and loves them. I really want to get a pair of the ICONs but $299 is a bit steep.
I have a pair of modestly used Icons in size 12 I'll sell you for $20 plus shipping if you want to try them out. ;)

The Icons are nice, no doubt, but I'm over "traditional" heavy golf shoes. I want a lightweight, cushioned golf shoe with a 2 year waterproof warranty.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

Guys, Tiger loving Woods is playing in a meaningful tournament today!
Use this stream for the next hour until Golf Channel coverage starts: http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/farmers-insurance-open-live-streaming

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Use this stream for the next hour until Golf Channel coverage starts: http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/farmers-insurance-open-live-streaming

Nice! I was watching a stream on there but it died.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a pair of modestly used Icons in size 12 I'll sell you for $20 plus shipping if you want to try them out. ;)

The Icons are nice, no doubt, but I'm over "traditional" heavy golf shoes. I want a lightweight, cushioned golf shoe with a 2 year waterproof warranty.

I’d take you up on it but alas I’m 2 sizes down from you. Might be worth checking out the Pro/SLs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

I’d take you up on it but alas I’m 2 sizes down from you. Might be worth checking out the Pro/SLs.
I actually bought a pair of the DryJoys Casual, the former name of the Pro/SL before they made them super ugly. Played 1 round with them and really liked them but they were 1/2 size too big and the retailer wouldn't take them back.

Ended up getting 2 pairs of Lunar Control 3's when Burlington Coat Factory had them on clearance for $20. Got them in these colorways, I'm set for years:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 25, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Those are great shoes. I somehow lucked into getting a pair of Lunar Controls and its bloody comfortable. I also love the little instep toe spikes for when you roll your foot over

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger makes the cut assuming something totally bizarre doesn't happen in the next hour.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger's getting some old man/cancer freckles on his nose.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Tiger's getting some old man/cancer freckles on his nose.

Still lipping too from what I saw on 18.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Lipping?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dipping, Skoal, that fun stuff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Dipping, Skoal, that fun stuff.
I thought that's what you meant, but I had never heard it referred to as lipping.

Tiger's a snuff guy? Never knew.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought that's what you meant, but I had never heard it referred to as lipping.

Tiger's a snuff guy? Never knew.

Not snuff, that's taken nasally. Just packing a big old lip full of dip.

It's incredibly common on Tour.

As I'm sure you know nicotine, much like caffeine is a stimulant and can help you focus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Not snuff, that's taken nasally. Just packing a big old lip full of dip.

It's incredibly common on Tour.

As I'm sure you know nicotine, much like caffeine is a stimulant and can help you focus.
Am I thinking of snus then?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger's been known to spit saliva, but he always claimed it was because of allergies. I've never heard of his tobacco usage.

I get why people or other pros would do it on the course, but I don't think Tiger does it. Proof?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Am I thinking of snus then?

Snus would be closer, yes. There are several oral tobacco variants. You have the loose, finely shredded stuff that you stick in your lower lip which is what I was referring to when I mentioned Skoal. The loose shredded stuff that's longer, like Red Man, actual chewing tobacco that I can't imagine many people actually using anymore(remember The Sandlot where the kids get a bag of chaw and then ride the rides at the carnival, puking everywhere?) . They also market snus or the equivalent which is the loose, finely shredded stuff but it's in a little pouch so you don't get flecks of black poo poo in your teeth.

Regardless, it's pretty well documented that Tiger, DJ, Dufner, and a lot of others use smokeless tobacco when they're playing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Tiger's been known to spit saliva, but he always claimed it was because of allergies. I've never heard of his tobacco usage.

I get why people or other pros would do it on the course, but I don't think Tiger does it. Proof?

I don't have any smoking gun proof, just stuff I've heard in the past and various stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2XSS28vRpk

Here's a lovely youtube video of him putting a "can of dip" in his bag that could very easily have been one of those rolls of medical tape that a lot of people, myself included keep in their bag for blisters and whatnot.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Snus would be closer, yes. There are several oral tobacco variants. You have the loose, finely shredded stuff that you stick in your lower lip which is what I was referring to when I mentioned Skoal. The loose shredded stuff that's longer, like Red Man, actual chewing tobacco that I can't imagine many people actually using anymore(remember The Sandlot where the kids get a bag of chaw and then ride the rides at the carnival, puking everywhere?) . They also market snus or the equivalent which is the loose, finely shredded stuff but it's in a little pouch so you don't get flecks of black poo poo in your teeth.

Regardless, it's pretty well documented that Tiger, DJ, Dufner, and a lot of others use smokeless tobacco when they're playing.

Dufner AND DJ both openly spit brown poo poo on the course. Duff daddy rocks the brown line down the middle of his lip.

I've never heard Tiger's name in the mixture. I'm finding articles that he secretly (formerly?) smokes, but aside from a shaky YouTube video where he slides what MIGHT be a skoal can into his bag, I don't see proof.

BS.

Edit: yeah, that's the video. Could be man. As much as he's grown the tour, he's entitled to do whatever the heck he wants on the course, as far as I'm concerned.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I understand trying to find substitutes if you can't smoke cigarettes during a tournament, but would nicotine gum be a cleaner alternative?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I understand trying to find substitutes if you can't smoke cigarettes during a tournament, but would nicotine gum be a cleaner alternative?

Technically you can still smoke in tournaments but what would Nike/Under Armour/Adidas/Callaway think if you were lighting up heaters like John Daly every other hole?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Nicklaus was a smoker, but he didn't smoke on the course.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wish the Euro Tour would do a hostile takeover of PGA Tour coverage. Much better presentation, less bullshit.

Oh and go Rory.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I played baseball throughout highschool / college and I swear there are more people that chew in golf than there are in baseball. I will say the golfer dip is quiet a bit smaller, but still really caught me off guard when I got invited to a country club when I was 20 and everyone there was spitting all over the course.

The general rule of thumb that I've heard is if you're chewing keep it off the greens, and fairways where you can.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Tiger hit three fairways and nine greens and still went -2 today. The putting is still ridiculous.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

spamman posted:

Tiger hit three fairways and nine greens and still went -2 today. The putting is still ridiculous.

His putting was fantastic today, even with the missed 6 footer on the last.

What's keeping him in this, and truly what kept him inside the cut, is his short game. Not a case to be made of the yips.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Frustrating to watch him try and smash the driver. Just slow down and keep it in play old man!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twist Face is the biggest scam since the SLDR.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

You're just trading one bad shot shape for another bad shot shape imo

meeler09
May 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

As a master of the two way miss I can say no face will help us

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I have no idea what this Twist Face thing is supposed to be, but the first time I saw the ad on TV I assumed it must be some sort of meaningless gimmick.

Speaking of drivers, I played with my sister’s 72-year-old father-in-law this past week and as usual was slicing most of my drives. At the turn he offered some unsolicited advice: “Rotate your left foot outward when you’re at address; that will allow you to open your hips during your swing and follow-through, which you’re not doing.”

Small sample size, but I hit one drive to the right the rest of the day. Everything else was arrow-straight. I’ve gone through two young instructors and half a dozen lessons exclusively to get rid of my driver slice, to no avail. I’m never listening to a 22-year-old again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

pmac posted:

Have an impromptu golf trip to Vegas in the works, spending 4 days there in mid February with a buddy and we’re planning to play at least once per day. A 36-hole day at Paiute is on our list so far.

Recommendations for courses that aren’t crazy expensive? We’ll have a car so anywhere is fair game.

Thinking we’ll try to stay on the strip though, anyone have hotel preferences that are easy to get in and out / have parking? Probably trying to keep it below $150/night.

It's a bit of a hike, but Wolf Creek in Mesquite is one of the coolest golf courses on the planet