Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Quavers posted:

The gradual walking back of promised features and gameplay continues:

Phew. All those ships bought with real money are a lot safer now. Pay2Win hype!

That sounds like the worst way to do it in existence. That is awful, awful, awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You know Chris is talking poo poo about doing the male models first when you look at the mocap vids from 2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD074Yemlpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUUlU6RvrQE

When both male and female were mocapped at the same time.

Edit: You know, when development didn't 'start' yet.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 28, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Quavers posted:

Wow!

This is extremely major.

Ruined the game, right here.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm going to put 18 billion dollars on them changing their tune the second the game is capable of handling anything other than everything vanishing the second people log out.

Right about the time Kayak takes the stand to testify.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Quavers posted:

The ability to sell something that automatically returns to the victim when the thief logs out is a solid game mechanic and I see no possible way that it can be abused.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hahahahahahaha

That one post wrecks countless space dreams.

I expect that admission to be explained away shortly.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

So much for persistence.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dusty Lens posted:

Oh poo poo you know your Mata from your Nui.

How many Vahki were stationed on Mertu Nui at its height?

One freebie before we hit rock bottom on 3609 and I get perma banned.

Metru-Nui :colbert: and 5,000 Vahki were made in total, most were destroyed when Makuta Teridax sucked up the power grid, and the rest were torn apart when the Visorak invaded.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
if the game is poo poo you must acquit

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not going to go through CIG's latest response as in-depthly as I did Crytek's amendment, because it's such a mess to read it's painful. I feel badly for anyone who has to, but, at least they're getting paid well. Stuff like the donut shop citation. Yeah, I think a commercial retail space rental agreement, where the landlord has to do construction upgrades, has different realities from a software contract.

I just want to drop in on this part, though:

quote:

Crytek refuses to acknowledge clear contract language that the collective definition of “Game” is a “game” (Star Citizen) and a “related game” (Squadron 42).

Clearly, the definition of "Game", singular, is actually two games. It's clear language for a singular noun to be plural. Collective definition.

Wooo

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

BobHoward posted:

This is a bit nobody's excerpted yet, and I love it because it's such badly written English, and it's the first paragraph of the new document. You know, the one you want to make sure sets a good tone for the rest. I know that legalese often departs from standard usage, but I'm pretty sure any decent lawyer working in the US would be embarrassed to file a document which starts with such a confused, badly written sentence, and continues with the awful phrase "crams upon CIG a mandatory duty".

Also, I'd appreciate a comment from any lawgoons. My understanding is that at this stage in a lawsuit, the sides are still establishing which issues will actually be debated during the trial, if any. It isn't until later that things become more locked down and it's severely frowned upon to try to introduce new lines of argument. If I'm not entirely out to sea, it seems absurd that OrtwinFKKS is trying to be so righteously angry about the FAC doing that.

Actually I know nothing about law so I can't speak to that but one of my only skills is composition/speech type things. Some things jump out at me reading the document. This is outside of the arguments themselves and the literal nonsense being put forth by Ortwin but is related to what you are saying.

Remember we are dealing with the most formal setting of writing there is. Expensive proceedings involving complex subjects where the composition represents the person submitting them. "Legalese" is a common term for a reason.

On a pure structural level CIG's response has things like

quote:

Crytek’s construction of the term “exclusively” leads to absurdities....

quote:

....but rather crams upon CIG a mandatory duty....

quote:

....and every common sense notion of exclusive licensing, says otherwise.

quote:

It tries to save its single defective theory.....

quote:

The opposition rambles.....

quote:

...by arguing phantom allegations, by proffering absurd interpretations...

quote:

...seeking remedies that are palpably improper...

quote:

....both efforts at pleading in this case have been an unmanageable, incoherent mess unworthy of proceeding...

quote:

The Court should straighten that mess....

quote:

Crytek cosmetically amended its initial pleading by peppering the FAC with the word “intentionally,” in an apparent attempt to morph its run-of-the-mill breach of contract claim...

quote:

...raising a litany of arguments (many absent from the FAC), hoping that one of them sticks. None of them do.

quote:

...leads to absurdities

quote:

...CIG remains forever shackled to Crytek’s Engine, even if CIG has reason to believe Crytek is a sinking ship....

quote:

....is unfathomable.

quote:

The absurdity of Crytek’s interpretation..

quote:

That is absurd...

quote:

Scrambling to bolster its contrived interpretation...

quote:

Crytek again seeks to mislead the Court...

quote:

Defendants made the common sense point....

quote:

....in Section 2.4, Crytek’s new favorite provision

quote:

.... it appears Crytek cannot keep its own arguments straight.

quote:

....if there were a logical place to restrict CIG from using a competing engine, Section 2.4 would have been the place to do it, but there is no such restriction.

quote:

...If that restriction existed, Section 2.4 would have been the place to do it, but it is not there.

quote:

In its opposition, Crytek tries to run from....

quote:

Crytek also tries to escape the devastating impact....

quote:

Crytek cannot have it both ways...

quote:

Crytek cites no legal authority for this illogical proposition....

quote:

In its opposition, Crytek attempts to paste...

quote:

Crytek attempts to minimize the impropriety of its baseless....

quote:

...as a matter of the blackest of blackletter California law

quote:

...underscores the overall irresponsibility of....

quote:

...misguidedly attempts to equate....

quote:

Plus, every lawyer knows.....

quote:

...is just masquerading as a claim...

quote:

These are new backpedaling arguments that Crytek improperly attempts to raise.....

quote:

...defend its inappropriate inclusion of the immaterial, impertinent, scandalous, and false Offending Allegations...

This is just the tone put forth by the document. A freshman in Composition 101 doing a legal document exercise would get a C for this due to it's overall construction but the language used is extremely crude and antagonistic and makes it seem like an editorial piece rather than a legal document. You can completely delete most of the things I pulled out as examples without changing anything.

We are at an extremely formal setting dealing with extremely important arguments so what does poo poo like "Crytek cannot have it both ways" supposedly add here? What does "In section 2.4, Crytek's new favorite provision," actually say about anything other than come across as a snarky jab meant entirely as an insult that has no technical or structural purpose.

Reading the structure of this you see that Ortwin is incredibly unprofessional and when you combine it with his nonsense arguments you get a clear picture of how stupid this loving rear end in a top hat really is. Backers love this poo poo because it supports them and they don't care that an official legal response in a multi million dollar lawsuit sounds like a first draft youtube rant.

Another telling thing is the use of complex vocabulary alongside such crude syntax. "These arguments are inapposite and the court should cram this axiomatic rambling because it is an impertinent, illogical mess." Not only is this poo poo constructed at the level of a high school paper but it's obviously trying to punch above it's weight in vocabulary.

I'm glad this is now a permanent and official part of the Star Citizen saga and I'm sure it will be studied for years to come.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 28, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SomethingJones posted:

Erris:
Everyone will have noticed that playable female characters are not scheduled until Q4 - the END of Q4

That on its own is BAD but what that means in the larger scheme of things... female characters are required for Squadron 42

Ah the whole thing takes me back... Seems like only yesterday Relay was saying this about Squadron, but it was two years ago...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bofast posted:

Good to know they are taking their security seriously

They take it as seriously as they take their gameplay.

Wuxi posted:

At this point Ortwinn knows as good as everyone here how hosed they are. Everything they write is an appeal to the masses, to get as much money as possible from the backers, paying for the next round of boni for the execs before the court slam dunks CIG into the dirt and the dream ends.

I genuinely think this is the case. There are only three groups of people who will read that response, and only one of those groups is going to be a source of funding for CIG. If you're confident that your company is well and truly hosed then you're going to do everything in your power to appease the group actually paying you.

Quavers posted:

This is amazing.

Star Citizen Litany of Lies
Original Promise: "Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)"
New Truth: Isolated co-op missions outside the campaign.

Original Promise: "Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)"
New Truth: "We will be live and in operation for some time before anybody even looks at private servers."

Original Promise: We have backed Oculus Rift and will support it in Star Citizen / Squadron 42.
New Truth: "I can't answer that." (45:31)

Original Promise: "Star Citizen will launch with 100 star systems."
New Truth: 5-10 Systems at Launch

Original Promise: Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
New Truth: Stolen ships will disappear when you log out.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

VictorianQueerLit posted:

editorial piece rather than a legal document

Yes, it reads like an editorial piece, and not a legal document. Bad look.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Metru-Nui :colbert: and 5,000 Vahki were made in total, most were destroyed when Makuta Teridax sucked up the power grid, and the rest were torn apart when the Visorak invaded.

Forgive me my keystrokes.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

To revisit the quote again:

quote:

a “game” (Star Citizen) and a “related game” (Squadron 42).

In your court filing, you just explicitly stated that Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are two separate games.

Good work, everybody!

Why did you even file this? You could've just waited for Feb. 9th when the judge will obviously deny the motion to dismiss, but you had to dig the hole deeper.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

It's uncanny how people with actual talent are able to tell that Star Citizen is a scam and that Derek Smart was right, I wonder if there is a connection

The game of Star Citizen is out of sight,
And Croberts has been taking you up the pipe.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

CIG's Next Response posted:

I heard Skadden were a bunch of loving bitches. WEST SYDE!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SomethingJones posted:

Reverse The loving Hearse
Jan 26th 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6FpCpt5m4&t=2507s
@ 41:48

Thx. I tried to watch this twice and fell asleep both time within 5 mins. No joke!

SomethingJones posted:

Jared keep giving him rope, you are doing an AWESOME job.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 28, 2018

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
lol imagine being Ortwin Freyermuth right now.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Quavers posted:

Just wow. There should be riots going on all over spectrum right now. Stick a fork in persistence, it's done.

'Squadron 42 is... maybe... going to miss 2018.'
:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

thatguy posted:

CIG's Next Response posted:

I heard Skadden were a bunch of loving bitches. WEST SYDE!

For a skilled goon to shop, with "gently caress The Skaddon":

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

lol imagine being Ortwin Freyermuth right now.

I wonder how much he's paying himself to represent his business interests.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Oh Erris... You poor bastard.

Erris, pleading posted:

"One of the things that always made me most excited about Star Citizen... It is... Chris Roberts answering questions. That's what gave me faith in the game, it's that person in charge of the game willing to sit there and talk for literally hours about his plans, and answer questions. And so, I was really really happy to see Chris on RTV this week for the entire hour he answered questions, I really, really hope that they do this more often and I'm hoping everyone pushes them to do that more often because -- I know Chris is really busy... And I know that his team need him a lot, and he does a lot of work, BUT, when it comes down to it other backers are kind of part of the team, too, and WE need Chris, too. Chris honestly gives faith in the project, in my opinion."

:cripes:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

It's going to be really interesting to see who breaks and who shrugs, washes off the clown makeup and moves on to the next patreon project.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Even GTA lets you keep stolen vehicles. As long as the garage doesn't eat them.

Stolen ships disappearing. That's a fundamental change in so many game mechanics.

It's actually a pretty wild admission. It blows apart persistence.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

XK posted:

Stolen ships disappearing. That's a fundamental change in so many game mechanics.

The :reddit: thread is chock full of varying stages of grief, 400 comments and counting :laffo:

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

I'm sure they'll come up with stolen spaceship insurance or something of that nature. Once you steal something you bribe the space dock to keep it. This gets away from the pay2win model and stays within their pay2pay philosophy.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

XK posted:

I vaguely remember something being said around 2013 along the idea that if you stole a ship you would have to get the "VIN" changed and papers for it otherwise you would be marked by the space cops as having a stolen ship and chased. I can't remember if this was something said by CIG or some dreamer cooking this up. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember something similar? Stolen ships disappearing when logged off would be really lame to a pirate play style. I guess it goes to the theme that Star Citizen can't have fun in the game anywhere.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Nunes posted:

I vaguely remember something being said around 2013 along the idea that if you stole a ship you would have to get the "VIN" changed and papers for it otherwise you would be marked by the space cops as having a stolen ship and chased. I can't remember if this was something said by CIG or some dreamer cooking this up. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember something similar? Stolen ships disappearing when logged off would be really lame to a pirate play style. I guess it goes to the theme that Star Citizen can't have fun in the game anywhere.

I was just going to post this. I also remember something about forging VINs and such.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/Insurance-FAQ

quote:

What will you do to combat insurance fraud?

A ship cannot be sold without a legitimate hull id code. Claiming on the insurance policy invalidates the hull code on your previous ship, so if it was captured or stolen the new owner will be unable to sell the ship at a regular ship dealer. Additionally if you have claimed on a policy and someone is flying the stolen ship in a well policed system, the hull id will mark it as a stolen ship, the law will be after you and landing privileges will be denied on any lawful planet. You will be able to fly a “hot” ship to the less savory parts of the Star Citizen universe, where you will probably be able to land and may be able to purchase a fake hull id code, but it will take effort and not necessarily be cheap.

I'm pretty sure it's also in one of their videos somewhere, probably accompanied by a bunch of hand waving.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nunes posted:

That is definitely some BDSSE bullshit crobbler/cig mumbled into the dream amplifier and this is a huge walkback of mechanics they likely owe tens of millions of dollars of sales to

XK
Jul 9, 2001

None of that sounds like a "Whoops, despawned" mechanic.

Add it to the tracker!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

What will you do to combat insurance fraud?

A ship cannot be sold without a legitimate hull id code. Claiming on the insurance policy invalidates the hull code on your previous ship, so if it was captured or stolen the new owner will be unable to sell the ship at a regular ship dealer. Additionally if you have claimed on a policy and someone is flying the stolen ship in a well policed system, the hull id will mark it as a stolen ship, the law will be after you and landing privileges will be denied on any lawful planet. You will be able to fly a “hot” ship to the less savory parts of the Star Citizen universe, where you will probably be able to land and may be able to purchase a fake hull id code, but it will take effort and not necessarily be cheap.

Finally the Advocacy takes insurance fraud very seriously. If it can be proven that a player has colluded with another player to defraud the insurance company, that hull’s lifetime insurance will be invalidated and the player may have to pay a large amount of credits to keep their record clean and not be marked as a wanted criminal.

Since at least before Nov 2014: http://archive.is/https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/Insurance-FAQ

e: fb by XK :argh:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

CIG saying you can't do something in a game they'll never release seems like a really bad idea unless the plan is to release a statement informing that due to feedback everything will magically be a different way best community best game keep pledging.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Nunes posted:

I found where I read that. It was from the CIG Insurance FAQ

Edit: HAH you all beat me to the link. Thanks!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know why the devs even bother saying anything anymore. Every possible thing they could state has a counter promise.

lol, it was so obvious everyone here found it, but their devs didn't know about it.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

G0RF posted:

Oh Erris... You poor bastard.

Erris posted:

"One of the things that always made me most excited about Star Citizen... It is... Chris Roberts answering questions. That's what gave me faith in the game, it's that person in charge of the game willing to sit there and talk for literally hours about his plans, and answer questions. And so, I was really really happy to see Chris on RTV this week for the entire hour he answered questions, I really, really hope that they do this more often and I'm hoping everyone pushes them to do that more often because -- I know Chris is really busy... And I know that his team need him a lot, and he does a lot of work, BUT, when it comes down to it other backers are kind of part of the team, too, and WE need Chris, too. Chris honestly gives faith in the project, in my opinion."

:cripes:

Never forget that someone actually posted this in earnest and called the thread "Every Time I Listen to Chris Roberts Talk for 20+ Minutes":

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

Ah good. We can remove one role and replace it with another.

Pirate is now Borrower

The inevitable consequence of piracy it turns out, in SC, isn’t much at all after all. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

This thread is so much better when you enter through page 1 and get to watch that happy hollidays gif for a second or two before zooming off to read some new post about people debating if Squadron 42 is coming out in a few weeks or if persistence is right around the corner.

Nothing like watching a couple of T posing models with dead eyes staring off into the horizon to really set the tone.