Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

financially racist posted:

lmao half a nuclear fuel rod to make a bottle of water what the living hell
No see, this is a hardcore realistic survival game. You should count yourself lucky it takes ONLY 15 minutes for 100 water worth of bottles.

Now excuse me, I'm going to spend 20 energy and 15 seconds to craft a pair of bleach bottles into 120 worth of water.

Seriously though. I'm very glad that for the most part, Subnautica has one of the most forgiving sustenance models ever. It just makes them doubling down on ensuring the sources with the least button presses being inefficient as hell that much more confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I keep thinking about engineering a clipper for maneuverability and shields. It should get over 500 shield with prismatic right? Id have to mess with the power plant.

Its just so fast and pretty. Would a hull tank work better though?

The clipper is never going to be all that manoeuvrable imo, it's a big ship, it just happens to go fast. Also I'd suggest posting in the correct thread for better advice!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Aaaand the game just crashed, everything I've done in the past 4-5 hours is gone. :smith:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Section Z posted:

No see, this is a hardcore realistic survival game. You should count yourself lucky it takes ONLY 15 minutes for 100 water worth of bottles.

Now excuse me, I'm going to spend 20 energy and 15 seconds to craft a pair of bleach bottles into 120 worth of water.

Seriously though. I'm very glad that for the most part, Subnautica has one of the most forgiving sustenance models ever. It just makes them doubling down on ensuring the sources with the least button presses being inefficient as hell that much more confusing.

I always found it funny how the crating station can, according to in game lore, automatically debone and fully cook an alien fish, but somehow can't boil and desalinate some water without a dedicated room sized machine.

also, not letting you take out those magic self recharging power cells from your lifeboat

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I set up my first real base in the jellyshroom cave and I'm very pleased with it. Purple glowing mushrooms and weird crabsnakes darting around just on the other side of the glass. I'm almost done with a second, larger base in the bulb forest. It's big feature is a glass corridor ending in an observatory jutting over a cliff and directly above a lava vent, while ampeels whirl around outside and get into fights with bonesharks.

What are other especially scenic locations worth building a home in with lots of cool things to look at through the glass? Glowing things and bizarre predators are a plus.

As a related aside, I cannot believe how much fun I'm having building bases/habitats in this game. I'm happy to spend most of my time shuttling between my bases hauling materials if it means I can build exactly what I want. I totally bounced off the building portions of games like Minecraft or Fallout, but something about this game really grabs me. I feel like I want to spend a couple weeks hanging out in my submarine home, sipping whisky and looking out the window in between tinkering on projects in the workshop.

I would give my left arm for mod/Steam workshop support in this game. Maybe the last knuckle on a finger for some furniture DLC.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This game gets significantly better when you don't add the hunger/water mechanics.

It's an exploration game, not a survival game.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

The Bramble posted:

As a related aside, I cannot believe how much fun I'm having building bases/habitats in this game. I'm happy to spend most of my time shuttling between my bases hauling materials if it means I can build exactly what I want. I totally bounced off the building portions of games like Minecraft or Fallout, but something about this game really grabs me. I feel like I want to spend a couple weeks hanging out in my submarine home, sipping whisky and looking out the window in between tinkering on projects in the workshop.

I feel the same way, and I think it's because bases feel like such a necessity in this game compared to the others, as a place of restoration and security, and building them offers a break from the constant dread of searching the depths for resources and parts, and provides a reason for doing that searching in the first place.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

That's a good insight. The bases have a practical use (unlike other games), and emotionally they are islands of sanity in this insane alien environment where nothing is remotely familiar. For all the games jankiness and rough edges in its mechanics, they've really built a conceptual world where the player is confronted with all kinds of interesting feelings that gaming should have more of. I felt real anxiety and trepidation jumping into the water for the first time from the lifepod. Scanning a completely empty horizon and coming across audio logs of dead people makes me confront feelings of isolation and loneliness. The game also strikes such a great balance of wonder vs. terror.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also you can build your bases in all kinds of very pretty, cool places. Like, who doesn't secretly dream of having a high tech undersea base amidst an alien mushroom forest, surrounded by pretty fishes?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Bramble posted:

What are other especially scenic locations worth building a home in with lots of cool things to look at through the glass? Glowing things and bizarre predators are a plus.

In both of my runs, I've built a base in the Inactive Lava Zone. I can't remember off the top of my head which direction it is from the Lava Castle. it's directly below an entrance, next to a bunch of lava falls. There are plenty of Magmarangs, Lava Lizards and Warpers around, as well as a Leviathan off in the distance making noise*.

*It's only came to my base once, when it was chasing my Prawn suit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Do solar panels work deep down? What's the best way to power bases generally? I'm still fairly early game but I'm getting rather tired of my whole base going to sleep every night

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The Bramble posted:

That big tree in the blue lost river section

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Do solar panels work deep down? What's the best way to power bases generally? I'm still fairly early game but I'm getting rather tired of my whole base going to sleep every night

No, they should be near surface or above water. Solar panels are ok low effort mode, just add more of them for a buffer to last through night time. Bioreactor is good, just shove any organic crap in and get power. Nuclear is pretty expensive, but who cares, thermal is great if you have a geyser nearby and can put it somewhere where it's above 50 degrees.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 29, 2018

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Near the surface, solar panels are still great and basically provide free energy forever. Having more will increase your overall power storage, helping it to get through the night.

The efficiency of solar panels (in per-time energy produced) heavily decreases with depth. Going by the wiki, it gets to about 50% output ~120 meters down. At around 200 meters down, solar panels are just about useless.*

Thermal plants are your best bet when solar panels are a no-go. This restricts your base placements a bit, though a Scanner Room can find you heat sources easily enough, and Power Transmitters can be daisy-chained pretty far. You'll probably need at least one transmitter just so you're not cooking in your base.

Bioreactors and nuclear power are best for infrequently used bases, such as those mostly used to hunt down resource deposits in remote locations. Since these reactors consume resources, they aren't the best as a permanent home. Farming and/or fish husbandry can offset bioreactors' costs and allow some longevity, but require a bit more setup and maintenance.

*Do keep in mind that power transmitters do work for solar panels. A solar farm poking above water will do your base good.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 29, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A single interior garden bed filled with melon seeds is plenty to keep a bioreactor running. Reginalds and other fish are more efficient but sometimes you don't want to mess with an alien tank in a base you don't live out of.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reginalds are the classiest of fishes, though.

Just look at the name.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
It never bothered me until reading it from someone here but it really is bullshit that you can't draw from nearby lockers to build stuff, instead having to put it all in your (super tiny) inventory. And now I can't stop thinking about how convenient that would be.

I wouldn't be as frugal about base building if it didn't entail 500 times going back and forth because I left item/resource X in locker Y at Base A and I need it in Base B

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That bothered me instantly because terraria perfected it several years ago and also had a bigger inventory to begin with. It's v cumbersome

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a reliable place to find the Vehicle Upgrade Console? I now have the blueprints for 3-4 Prawn arms but can't make a single one of them... I checked all 3 wrecks listed on the wiki and either it's outdated or I managed to miss it :\

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Goblin posted:

Is there a reliable place to find the Vehicle Upgrade Console? I now have the blueprints for 3-4 Prawn arms but can't make a single one of them... I checked all 3 wrecks listed on the wiki and either it's outdated or I managed to miss it :\

You checked all the databoxes you could find? Kinda sounds like you're running into the same bug that i did with the Cyclops Engine Fragments, where they had flat out been deleted from the game. I had to use the console to unlock it.

Say if you want to know how and i'll write it up.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

You checked all the databoxes you could find? Kinda sounds like you're running into the same bug that i did with the Cyclops Engine Fragments, where they had flat out been deleted from the game. I had to use the console to unlock it.

Say if you want to know how and i'll write it up.

Sure, I may as well at this point since I already used the console when my Prawn got stuck in terrain and another time when I managed to swim through a wall in the Aurora haha. I'm pretty sure that at each of those wrecks I found at least 1-2 databoxes, and in one or two cases they were duplicates of something I already had. Not having the drill and grapple hook for the prawn is making it a hassle to get out of some of the deeper areas since I really hate navigating with the Cyclops.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Where should I make a base?

Where do I find lithium

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Where do I find lithium

You can make bases wherever - they're not too expensive. In my post 1.0 run I only made one in the shallows, then once I was in the depths (<900m) I pretty much just used my cyclops as a mobile base. With the thermal generator it essentially had infinite power down there as the ambient temperature was warm enough to always be charging. I did make sure to take all the poo poo I needed though, like the accessible materials required for the thermal generator mod, which I built down there. It would have been a major hassle to keep going up and down in that thing. I also fitted my mod station to the cyclops so I could craft the mk2+ depth mods for cyclops and prawn.

There was a poo poo-ton of lithium nodes in the caves on the island with the QEP (the big gun) for me. Plenty of shale outcrops for other rare-ish materials like diamond too.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Goblin posted:

Sure, I may as well at this point since I already used the console when my Prawn got stuck in terrain and another time when I managed to swim through a wall in the Aurora haha. I'm pretty sure that at each of those wrecks I found at least 1-2 databoxes, and in one or two cases they were duplicates of something I already had. Not having the drill and grapple hook for the prawn is making it a hassle to get out of some of the deeper areas since I really hate navigating with the Cyclops.

If you know how to unlock the console you probably already know the command to unlock it, but here it is anyway unlock baseupgradeconsole. Doing this disables achivements, but just saving, quitting and reloading the save enables them again.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Where do I find lithium

Jellyshroom caves are great, not too far from the lifepod, and you're directed there from a lifepod distress signal, and as part of the DeGasi story if you go to the floating island first. The cave is full of lithium and magnetite, and above the cave system is lots of limestone, sandstone, and quartz. Set your scanner room for what you're looking for.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a scanner room or any vehicles

The jellyshroom cave is scary and I had to use like 30 pipes to get air down there

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah it is scary and building there can be a pain. If possible, try to get yourself a seamoth to help out. It can't go to the bottom of the cave without upgrades, but it's a good way to get air quickly in between expeditions. Better than going to the surface or using air pumps, at least.

Edit: if you're building a base before you have the multi-purpose room to house a bioreactor, then build on the surface above a cave opening. Less scary and you'll need the solar power.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Phi230 posted:

I don't have a scanner room or any vehicles

The jellyshroom cave is scary and I had to use like 30 pipes to get air down there

I'd suggest building a starting base near the surface where you can easily place solar panels without much infrastructure. I like next to the area with vines because both the resources are 4x4 so you don't want to have to store too many. You can always build others later if you want.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is the end-game content still prawn suit-only?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

double nine posted:

is the end-game content still prawn suit-only?

You'll want it to harvest the large nodes, but I can't think of anything that absolutely requires it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

..btt posted:

You'll want it to harvest the large nodes, but I can't think of anything that absolutely requires it.

It is kinda hard to get to some of the lava zones in a Cyclops, at least the way I routed it. I'd consider the Prawn as the best thing just as a mobile air supply.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I managed alright - there were some tight spots, but the external cameras got me through.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Going all the way in the cyclops was the absolute best way imo. So cinematic and emotion-heightening being in your submarine HQ, walking around, looking for heat vents to power up, managing power/base building and going out on Prawn excursions.

Would kind of love a game that expanded on that. Make a bigger sub, bigger area and keep everything on your mobile base as it slowly ventures forth.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Has anyone tried building a base on land? I read somewhere that you can put a moon pool in the central water pool of the floating island, which sounds pretty cool but I don't know if it'd be very useful.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Comrade Koba posted:

Has anyone tried building a base on land? I read somewhere that you can put a moon pool in the central water pool of the floating island, which sounds pretty cool but I don't know if it'd be very useful.

Several folks, myself included, have built bases down in the Grand Reef with a tunnel and ladder leading up to the little lagoon on the floating island, some 200ish meters up. Building on land can be fun, though you have some limits since you can't fly up above the base to build higher rooms and such.

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

If you know how to unlock the console you probably already know the command to unlock it, but here it is anyway unlock baseupgradeconsole. Doing this disables achivements, but just saving, quitting and reloading the save enables them again.

That did the trick, thanks. Now I'm swinging through caves like Tarzan in my Prawn suit!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Where do I find lithium

Anywhere you want.

Best place to find lithium early on is the mushroom caves. Check the edges of the sandy areas with red grass.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Lager posted:

Building on land can be fun, though you have some limits since you can't fly up above the base to build higher rooms and such.

You can spam platforms from the mountains and just not build them fully or put those air pumps on the sides and jump on them or just build a tunnel on the side and a hatch on the roof of that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my scanner room is weird, I set it to detect data boxes and now i can’t interact with it to change what it’s detecting

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

my scanner room is weird, I set it to detect data boxes and now i can’t interact with it to change what it’s detecting

There's a tiny x on the screen where you select what to detect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Gameplay-wise, the best place to build your main base is above and to the center of Lifepod 2.