Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Agean90 posted:

a snake eating its own tale

There was some thread on reddit a few months ago where people were losing their minds when someone pointed out it was a platypus skeleton. They had no idea.

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Gonna be honest, I didn't realize what it was until WAY later than I would like.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Until just now I always saw it as like this deformed hand/claw thing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Kaza42 posted:

Gonna be honest, I didn't realize what it was until WAY later than I would like.

:same:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I always thought it was a dinosaur

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I thought it was a dinosaur too but platypus makes a lot of sense for "Paradox"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
E: Never mind, I somehow got very confused about what people were talking about :saddowns:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 22, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A Description of the Anatomy of the Ornithorhynchus paradoxus, 1801

I now know more about their logo than I ever wanted.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
how the gently caress do I end this war? it's been going on for two years and it's getting super dull.

This is crisis war over Poland that became a Great War, I'm playing as Germany and I keep destroying all the Russians/Spanish/British in battles to run up my score, I've occupied Poland and Russia all the way to St. Petersburg, etc. The problem is that AI Italy was the crisis leader and keeps adding these stupid war goals so I don't know what is happening?

Is there a way for me to edit the save game so I can take over as war leader?

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 30, 2018

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LinYutang posted:

how the gently caress do I end this war? it's been going on for two years and it's getting super dull.

This is crisis war over Poland that became a Great War, I'm playing as Germany and I keep destroying all the Russians/Spanish/British in battles to run up my score, I've occupied St. Petersburg, etc. The problem is that AI Italy was the crisis leader and keeps adding these stupid war goals so I don't know what is happening?

Mouse over your side's war goal icons to see how much ticking war score you're getting. If most/all of them are ticking up, then all you have to do is sit back, hold the lines wherever they currently are, and let your war score tick up.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Pakled posted:

Mouse over your side's war goal icons to see how much ticking war score you're getting. If most/all of them are ticking up, then all you have to do is sit back, hold the lines wherever they currently are, and let your war score tick up.

If they aren't, well, you're just going to have to keep occupying the boundless steppes until further notice. Sorry.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
They're replacing the mission mechanics in Europa with the National Focus mechanics from Hearts of Iron 4 and it's going to be rad as poo poo

(OK the similarities are skin-deep at best but it's still cool)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The similarities pretty much begin and end with the branching tree layout. The missions are largely the same as how they currently are in EU4 with the same kinds of rewards. You just automatically accept each mission as they become valid, and you unlock more missions by going down the tree. This allows you to work on completing multiple missions at once while providing a more coherent progression and also getting rid of the RNG factor. It seems really cool, and I'm excited by how people will mod it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 30, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The next Immersion pack for England has some industrialisation stuff, ie: finding coal.

So what i'm saying, Vicky 3 confirmed.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Okay, the war ended, thank God. Now Russia can fall to communism :ussr:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

algebra testes posted:

The next Immersion pack for England has some industrialisation stuff, ie: finding coal.

So what i'm saying, Vicky 3 confirmed.

Honestly I feel like EU4 could probably just have an extra 50-100 years or so tacked on to cover the very early industrial revolution era.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
EUIV should be 1453 - 1750, with the game ending at the height of the game's colonial empires. No need to have them pitifully revolt against the late game player. You end in triumph.

Victoria should be 1750 - 1901

Hearts of Iron should be 1901-2001 and more about building your society, where you carve out your evil empire (or try to take them down) in the first half of the game and then tip-toe through an alt-history Cold War with the other major powers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Honestly I feel like EU4 could probably just have an extra 50-100 years or so tacked on to cover the very early industrial revolution era.

It already does though.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

And EU4 is not the geopolitical strategy fix I'm looking for with Vicky 3.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's not as good as last year when Mandate of Heaven/Utopia/Steel Division all released on the same day, but I'll take two Paradox releases within 2 weeks of each other.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Fintilgin posted:

EUIV should be 1453 - 1750, with the game ending at the height of the game's colonial empires. No need to have them pitifully revolt against the late game player. You end in triumph.

Hearts of Iron should be 1901-2001 and more about building your society, where you carve out your evil empire (or try to take them down) in the first half of the game and then tip-toe through an alt-history Cold War with the other major powers.

I don't think this really works, because the eras don't really match up to any major shakeups in the world that Paradox likes to start with. For example, the entire point of Victoria is that you play through the Victorian era in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars with the specter of revolution and liberalism challenging the old order of Europe while society is massively changed by new technologies. The 1700's just don't fit that paradigm and trying to make a game that can somehow do:

1. agrarian/artisan societies
2. colonial revolts of the 18th/19th centuries
3. the French Revolution equivalent and Napoleonic Wars
4. constantly looming threat of liberalism/later on communism
5. rapid industrialization and technological change
6. 19th century colonialism, indirect colonialism like spheres of influence, and global capitalism
7. the rise of nationalism
8. geopolitics in the modern age
9. the leadup to or even igniting of a world war
10. demographic changes that drove all these things

all at the same time and not be utter garbage and/or take 20 years and a billion dollars to make seems impossible. Ditto on trying to somehow effectively simulate WWI, WWII, and the first half of the Cold War, and the second half of the Cold War all in one package. Each one is a vastly different time period that could easily take up an entire game by themselves, you can't just cram everything in one game and expect it to magically work.

And that's just purely mechanical challenges for a hypothethical megacampaign which most people don't do. For example, most people want to play Hearts of Iron to fight the historical WWII, not continue the timeline of their Victoria game, and starting at any point before 1934 completely defeats the point of that.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 30, 2018

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

There should be a Colonial/French Revolutionary era game. 1763/76-1836, perfect to bridge that gap.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

There should be a Colonial/French Revolutionary era game. 1763/76-1836, perfect to bridge that gap.

March of the Eagles 2

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
March of the Eagles is pretty underappreciated imo. I wish they had supported it more/at all and it had been a little more ambitious.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

da beeper king BABY posted:

March of the Eagles is pretty underappreciated imo. I wish they had supported it more/at all and it had been a little more ambitious.

A smaller-scale HoI4-like (in that that title is the most war-focused Pdox game) that focuses less on industry/production would be a neat concept for Paradox to try out.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Is there a good way to provoke a cycle of revolutions in another country in Vicky 2? I occupied all of continental France for 2 years without seeing a revolt (it's 1900). I peaced out eventually and prevented them from rearming, maybe the lack of troops will make it easier for a revolt to take their capital?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

LinYutang posted:

Is there a good way to provoke a cycle of revolutions in another country in Vicky 2? I occupied all of continental France for 2 years without seeing a revolt (it's 1900). I peaced out eventually and prevented them from rearming, maybe the lack of troops will make it easier for a revolt to take their capital?

vicky 3 feature request: ways to more directly influence unrest in other countries. the button can be a picture of lenin entering a train car

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Someone just released a HoI4 to Stellaris converter. I am pleased and amused.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

idhrendur posted:

Finally, a way to get around Paradox's insane anti-fascist stance on the Workshop!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

EU4 already plays horribly past 1650, don't see why you'd want to make that even worse. If anything it should start in 1402 and the first event you get is "comet sighted". The game is actually fun early on and the mechanics work.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Tahirovic posted:

EU4 already plays horribly past 1650, don't see why you'd want to make that even worse. If anything it should start in 1402 and the first event you get is "comet sighted". The game is actually fun early on and the mechanics work.

If you own a third of the world the performance isn't any issue :hist101: Unless you meant mechanics wise, in which case I'm inclined to agree that it gets kinda boring late on.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AG3 posted:

If you own a third of the world the performance isn't any issue :hist101: Unless you meant mechanics wise, in which case I'm inclined to agree that it gets kinda boring late on.
I think he is indicating mechanics. The game's province count has probably doubled since it was first released because they have done a great job of optimizing it's performance and then adding content to neglected areas. However, that means that micomanaging the occupation of <Insert large, powerful country here> every 15 years gets old quick. They desperately need to add something to allow more limited-scope wars that do not require 100% occupation of six countries, some of whom are on another continent (because allies are 100% invested in wars for FIVE loving YEARS) because every war is a "hellwar". And something to allow me to automate occupying large swaths of land.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

idhrendur posted:

if you go full Stalin and win the war you end up as a Human Hivemind?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

And something to allow me to automate occupying large swaths of land.

Vassals, marches, and colonial nations are amazing for this.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bees everywhere posted:

Vassals, marches, and colonial nations are amazing for this.
They are, I leverage them as often as possible, but it isnt always consistently available as an option. Also the whole argument of "I should not have to play a certain way if I dont want the endgame to be a micromanagey nightmare".

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I mean in theory the capability is already there and programmed since all the AI nations can manage war. We can already set navies to automated exploration missions and armies to automated city searching and rebel suppression. It would be really nice to be able to set armies to an automated war mode, modifiable by the same settings as your vassals (e.g. Automated, seige focus, etc) with designated primary and secondary targets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cantorsdust posted:

I mean in theory the capability is already there and programmed since all the AI nations can manage war. We can already set navies to automated exploration missions and armies to automated city searching and rebel suppression. It would be really nice to be able to set armies to an automated war mode, modifiable by the same settings as your vassals (e.g. Automated, seige focus, etc) with designated primary and secondary targets.
This is part of why I am clamoring for it :v:
We see the AI do it, and sometimes really effectively. I would love it if I could win a big battle or simply march into an area that is empty then click a button that would carpet siege the state and all adjacent states that the army is currently in. I dont want it to fight the war for me, I just dont want to have to micromanage occupying every single province in <large country> every single time. And since every war is a hellwar, carpet sieging like that is often necessary.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Problem is with all QOL stuff like that, then they have to backport it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Just make yourself your own vassal.