Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Lucky. When I was playing TFC I had weird mob lag issues where every so often mobs would pause and then a few seconds later catch up at warp speed, and I'd have to stop when this happened or it'd count as getting far enough away to break the rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Black Pants posted:

Lucky. When I was playing TFC I had weird mob lag issues where every so often mobs would pause and then a few seconds later catch up at warp speed, and I'd have to stop when this happened or it'd count as getting far enough away to break the rope.

Yeah, I actually swam about 600 blocks through one minor ocean before I thought to try the boat and I had at least 3 mass rope breaks. I then went on to travel a further 3000 ish in the boat at full speed with no problems.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Welp, here we go again!

quote:

Modern Skyblock 3 is the sequel to Modern Skyblock 2 (obviously :P). Modern Skyblock 2 was unique for that that it used Sky Resources for obtaining resources instead of Ex Nihilo, but since its release, a few other packs have used, making Modern Skyblock 3 not unique for that. Modern Skyblock 3 is unique for another reason: Unlike almost every other pack that has a progression line, it doesn't have any recipe changes (besides for those fixing exploits and allowing a few mods to work). Instead, it's entire progression line is based around quests, hence it features 1k+ of them. It also features 3 modes:

• Kitchensink mode - You may play through any mod you want at any time, allowing you to become OP in the first few hours. There will still be many quests to complete that will keep you playing for a while.
  • Staged Mode - To progress through one mod you need to progress through another. Even though there are no recipe changes, not being able to use certain items adds a layer of difficulty. However, if you dislike a certain mod, you can usually simply rush through its quests.
  • Gated Mode - just like Staged Mode, but to unlock the next stage you need to hand in certain items from the required stages. That means that you need to progress through every mod and you can't simply rush through them.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

CheetoRamen posted:

Can you slap the new thaumcraft onto an existing world and get by? Are there ores/crystals that'll need a newly-genned area, or is it going to crap out without a brand new world?

It has fairly robust retrogeneration abilities. Stuff like the ores and crystals, and even trees, should be able to retrogen in a lot of the area. You won't get magical forest biomes without new chunks, though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Settling in a magical forest seems really important in the new TC, since they have huge aura values and there's some items you literally can't craft with a low aura value.

Speaking of which, is there any way to manipulate the aura at all? I haven't found any research that improves the aura in a chunk, and despite running my dirty low-tier alchemy setup pretty hard, I haven't seen any taint effects at all. Whenever my research asks me to submit vitium I basically have to take the other option because I haven't found any way to get the stuff.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

I almost typed the exact same thing in response.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

modded_minecraft.rm

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

Settling in a magical forest seems really important in the new TC, since they have huge aura values and there's some items you literally can't craft with a low aura value.

Speaking of which, is there any way to manipulate the aura at all? I haven't found any research that improves the aura in a chunk, and despite running my dirty low-tier alchemy setup pretty hard, I haven't seen any taint effects at all. Whenever my research asks me to submit vitium I basically have to take the other option because I haven't found any way to get the stuff.

Not that I'm aware of, and while you can get make something that allows the arcane crafting table to use all vis from a 3x3 chunk area around it, that doesn't help for crafting (or casting) foci or using the arcane bore or whatever. Which I think is kinda a bummer because your casting ability is predicated on something you can't actually control, and I drained the aura of chunks really quickly testing foci.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Black Pants posted:

Not that I'm aware of, and while you can get make something that allows the arcane crafting table to use all vis from a 3x3 chunk area around it, that doesn't help for crafting (or casting) foci or using the arcane bore or whatever. Which I think is kinda a bummer because your casting ability is predicated on something you can't actually control, and I drained the aura of chunks really quickly testing foci.

Yeah.

New thaumcraft is... ok. It's got dramatically less stuff than thaumcraft 4, not even counting all the addons, which is a shame. It's not unexpected considering it's still in beta I guess, but it still feels like a lot of busywork for not much reward. It's still about as much effort to get an alchemy setup, infusion setup, etc., there's just a lot less stuff to make with them, so going to all the effort to make the infusion altar feels quite a bit like a waste.

There's a few researches which are flat-out inaccessible right now, since I ran for miles and miles and never found a tainted biome, and apparently tainting a biome manually doesn't work yet, or else you need to REALLY try hard. I built the dioptera thing that supposedly displays vis / taint levels and didn't ever see a pixel of purple.

There's so few researches that cause warp by the time I maxed out my thaumonomicon my warp meter was about 5% full. I only ever experienced two warp effects, and both of them were just the brief heartbeat sound with no further effects.

The new research game is neat, although the description of it in the thaumonomicon was pretty opaque. I had to just open it up and mess around to try to figure it out.

I like the new focus crafting, but vis costs are way too high right now considering there's no way to create vis or affect the aura. It's just a hard cap that you'll probably slam into a lot if you actually try to use the things the mod gives you. Making the casting glove is an ENORMOUS pain in the rear end, requiring four bunny skins, which are infuriatingly rare if you aren't lucky enough to get a desert (I wasn't) I kind of miss getting different wands. The flavor text on the casting glove says there's probably way to improve it, but that must be planned content since it isn't in yet. All the items in the mod that might help with exploration (which is basically just the boots of the traveller and the new double-jump ring) are gated behind the glove so you can't use the mod itself to help find the things.

All in all I think Thaumcraft 6 is still as stylish and clever as it always was, it's just clear that it isn't finished yet. The thaumonomicon makes a lot of references to things that don't exist yet or aren't unlockable. Tainted biomes either need to be more common (if they exist at all), or it needs to give you a research to find them, or polluting yourself needs to actually do something. The aura system is less complex. It's much more convenient early on, since you don't have to worry about aura nodes, but a great nuisance later on, when you have to run around moving your crafting table in order to make things or operate your cool stuff.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

modded_minecraft.rm

A pixie winged heavy armor with a crown, with a chunk of metal for a shield, and a monicle. It's missing square boobs, monster girls, and a laser sword fight in the background.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

A pixie winged heavy armor with a crown, with a chunk of metal for a shield, and a monicle. It's missing square boobs, monster girls, and a laser sword fight in the background.

Well, I can give you that last one -- that sword definitely shoots a (slow) laser.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can definitely tell it's a modpack because the least ugly scenery he had to record that gif was a lovely oak stair roof. I guarantee you just off frame is a giant disorganized mess of generators and chests and pipes and grinders and poo poo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

You can definitely tell it's a modpack because the least ugly scenery he had to record that gif was a lovely oak stair roof. I guarantee you just off frame is a giant disorganized mess of generators and chests and pipes and grinders and poo poo.

That's actually the roof of a Roguelike Dungeons house that I've co-opted into my base. And, rude, I at least bury all my disorganized wire rat's nest poo poo. :colbert:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

There's a few researches which are flat-out inaccessible right now, since I ran for miles and miles and never found a tainted biome, and apparently tainting a biome manually doesn't work yet, or else you need to REALLY try hard. I built the dioptera thing that supposedly displays vis / taint levels and didn't ever see a pixel of purple.

There's so few researches that cause warp by the time I maxed out my thaumonomicon my warp meter was about 5% full. I only ever experienced two warp effects, and both of them were just the brief heartbeat sound with no further effects.

..actually, after voiding a stupid amount of essentia from my crucible making things wastefully, and then adding even more flux to the chunk by putting 32 salis mundus through the basic, unaugmented essentia furnace, I managed to taint my home and spawned a giant taint slimething which had way too much health. So it's doable.

And I've gotten the heartbeats, but also spontaneous explosions heard behind me.

As for less stuff, it certainly feels that way, but mostly because the research system in TC4 made everything feel like work to get to while this one is probably on the 'faster than it's eventually going to be' side since 2 Theories are the maximum you need for anything. There isn't actually much less - there's no more wands/staves/rods, so that's obviously removed, and things that helped with the TC4 research system - it's just that everything's been condensed. There's more alchemy things to work with, and the same goes for focus components and golem parts, it's just that all the elemental tools, the infusion enchantments, the ore clumps, Thaumium Fortress helm augments etc have all become singular researches rather than a node for each individual one of them.

The focus crafting and vis costs vs the chunk-based aura is a particular problem to me though, I agree. All vis costs are up-front and ridiculously high, despite being quite underpowered. I made a projectile-magic-potency focus and it was about as powerful as hitting mobs with a stone sword, and cost slightly under the maximum amount of vis I was able to find, in a magic forest biome. But even with balancing I'm annoyed by the idea that my casting ability is relegated to something I don't control and I can't upgrade.

I'm confident a lot of issues will be solved through the beta, it's just the concept of available vis being dependent on what chunk I am standing in is worrying.

VVVVV
I like the gauntlet it just doesn't feel very useful, and needs upgrade options.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 31, 2018

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I miss wands. <:mad:>

Maybe the gauntlet will win me over but at the moment I'm looking forward to the inevitable addon mod that brings wands back.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's actually the roof of a Roguelike Dungeons house that I've co-opted into my base. And, rude, I at least bury all my disorganized wire rat's nest poo poo. :colbert:
How has taking over a roguelike dungeon worked out in practice? I took a few shots at it and eventually was disappointed in the time I succeeded the best. To do it, I needed Ars Magic 2 and a remote dig spell so I could remotely whack all the hidden spawners you get once you hit the catacombs layer. I never saw a modpack scale the loot to match the modded monster buffs, and it would become a real slog at that level otherwise if infernal mobs was installed.

Then all I could really do is line the walls with all my machines and toys and such because there weren't sufficient side rooms of large enough size to do things like host a reactor.

In an earlier Minecraft version where attack recovery times wasn't a problem, it would have been far less of a deal. It would have been even more manageable with a Tinkers Construct scythe. But come 1.12, the place is just making mobs faster than I'm getting them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How has taking over a roguelike dungeon worked out in practice? I took a few shots at it and eventually was disappointed in the time I succeeded the best. To do it, I needed Ars Magic 2 and a remote dig spell so I could remotely whack all the hidden spawners you get once you hit the catacombs layer. I never saw a modpack scale the loot to match the modded monster buffs, and it would become a real slog at that level otherwise if infernal mobs was installed.

Then all I could really do is line the walls with all my machines and toys and such because there weren't sufficient side rooms of large enough size to do things like host a reactor.

In an earlier Minecraft version where attack recovery times wasn't a problem, it would have been far less of a deal. It would have been even more manageable with a Tinkers Construct scythe. But come 1.12, the place is just making mobs faster than I'm getting them.

I haven't cracked the dungeon yet at all, actually. I just used the house because it was shelter on the moderately harsh environment of the current Progress server. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I haven't cracked the dungeon yet at all, actually. I just used the house because it was shelter on the moderately harsh environment of the current Progress server. :v:

Okay I'll admit to having done this too and I just plugged up the stairway. The only problem was I'd keep digging into the dungeon while mining.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I've always wondered if it would be possible to clear a dungeon using glowstone florbs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

I've always wondered if it would be possible to clear a dungeon using glowstone florbs.

Assuming you're talking something more intricate than the vanilla mossy cobblestone rooms, it would still be a pain in the rear end. Lighting up sections would reduce some of the spawning, but the rooms tend to get intricate and don't block away all the places something could spawn easily.

I just realized in my roguelike experience that I also had an Ars Magica 2 spell to remotely place lights too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Assuming you're talking something more intricate than the vanilla mossy cobblestone rooms, it would still be a pain in the rear end. Lighting up sections would reduce some of the spawning, but the rooms tend to get intricate and don't block away all the places something could spawn easily.

I just realized in my roguelike experience that I also had an Ars Magica 2 spell to remotely place lights too.

I wonder how well the Astral Sorcery item (I think?) that lights up cave systems below it would work on that type of dungeon. It might have been another mod, but I swear I remember reading something about that.

There's also another one that had a cool block that you shoved torches in, and it auto-placed them to eliminate dark spots on the surface. That one had a warning that it didn't handle weird geometry well, so probably less good for using in a dungeon. I think this one was from some small stand-alone torchy mod

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For automatically lighting up caves or other things, there's the Glowing modifier from Tinker's Construct, which will use some of the tool's durability to place a light. This only works if you're standing on or near a dark block with the tool in your hand, however (maybe it works in offhand?)

There's also the Lantern of Paranoia from Reliquary, which will automatically place torches, along with the Sojourner's Staff, which is basically a torch battery.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

I wonder how well the Astral Sorcery item (I think?) that lights up cave systems below it would work on that type of dungeon. It might have been another mod, but I swear I remember reading something about that.

There's also another one that had a cool block that you shoved torches in, and it auto-placed them to eliminate dark spots on the surface. That one had a warning that it didn't handle weird geometry well, so probably less good for using in a dungeon. I think this one was from some small stand-alone torchy mod

Astral Sorcery Cave Illuminator will fix one of them right up, yep.

Not sure it'll stop the spawners embedded in the walls though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I see from the monocle you have botania, you can use the mana blaster with the lens that creates light sources to shoot light everywhere for the cost of a little mana.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

I see from the monocle you have botania, you can use the mana blaster with the lens that creates light sources to shoot light everywhere for the cost of a little mana.

..the armor AND sword are Botania.

And then some riot shield.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Taffer posted:

Progress is back! New pack, new version, new shiny server box to run everything with great performance (hopefully). Huge thanks to everyone who helped.

Pack: (Twitch launcher) https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/progress
Server IP: 136.33.144.178
Discord: https://discord.gg/xawPyXT
Dynmap: http://136.33.144.178:8123

I'll make a real thread once I've stress tested some gameplay changes and tweaked things to my liking. No whitelist, anyone is welcome. Standard server rules apply.

E: oops i broke something, fixing momentarily

Is this still around?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

..the armor AND sword are Botania.

And then some riot shield.

I think the shield is from Immersive Engineering.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the shield is from Immersive Engineering.

Yeah, it's the steel shield from IE. It looks cool and has a window in the front, so you can actually see while you're blocking. However, when I enchanted it with Unbreaking, it became a stroboscopic anime nightmare. After I took that GIF, I wiped the enchant off. 6 steel isn't exactly expensive.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is this still around?

Yep. There'll be a world reset soon-ish, I've been using this to iron out rough spots in the pack, but it's close to a state where I'm done making big changes. But feel free to get on and build stuff anyway, or just look around. People have built some cool poo poo already.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Super early MSB3 Trip Report

Honestly kind of reminds me of Agrarian Skies/etc in a good way so far. There's a kitchen sink mode which is basically just skyblock + quests, and then two levels of gating - either Gated or Staged, which either is just 'do quests to get to the next round of recipes/etc' or 'do quests AND turn in items to unlock the next round'. Going through gated right now and so far it's fun, but I'm still super early.

It's a WAY less hardcore approach than MSB2 though, so I appreciate that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I downloaded MSB3 last night and am looking forward to starting it. I skipped MSB2 because I usually burn out on grindy skyblocks but #3 sounds much better.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's quite a bit more polished than MS2, although it's entirely possible he might still ruin it by expanding the modlist to death, given Pixel's history. Here's hoping.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Taffer posted:

Progress is back! New pack, new version, new shiny server box to run everything with great performance (hopefully). Huge thanks to everyone who helped.

Pack: (Twitch launcher) https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/progress
Server IP: 136.33.144.178
Discord: https://discord.gg/xawPyXT
Dynmap: http://136.33.144.178:8123

I'll make a real thread once I've stress tested some gameplay changes and tweaked things to my liking. No whitelist, anyone is welcome. Standard server rules apply.

E: oops i broke something, fixing momentarily

Hell yeah, Progress! Gonna make some dumb/cool poo poo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I am currently the MAX ANIME on Progress, having conquered the Botania tech tree.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

It's quite a bit more polished than MS2, although it's entirely possible he might still ruin it by expanding the modlist to death, given Pixel's history. Here's hoping.

So, im currently waiting on awakened draconium to get to chaos infusing in msb2

Should i try the gated msb3?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm having trouble with the Starlight Infuser from Astral Sorcery. Is there any way to determine what the problem with the multiblock is? I'm fairly sure I have it built properly, and I've laboriously ensured that the liquid starlight reservoirs are filled properly.

edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. You have to activate it with the resonating wand. :doh:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 1, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
im playing modern skyblock 3 and i made a mob spawner, why wont anything spawn in it? Its an enclosed space about 5 x 5 x 3 of open space inside, when I was building it a bunch of endermen and skeletons spawned on my main platform, why won't poo poo spawn in my spawner and die?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

im playing modern skyblock 3 and i made a mob spawner, why wont anything spawn in it? Its an enclosed space about 5 x 5 x 3 of open space inside, when I was building it a bunch of endermen and skeletons spawned on my main platform, why won't poo poo spawn in my spawner and die?

How far away from where you spend most of your time is your dark room? Is it dark? (Use F7 to see a light overlay; you want red Xes on the ground.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How far away from where you spend most of your time is your dark room? Is it dark? (Use F7 to see a light overlay; you want red Xes on the ground.)

its enclosed with red Xs and its about 11 blocks from my main platform and 45 blocks up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Doorknob Slobber posted:

its enclosed with red Xs and its about 11 blocks from my main platform and 45 blocks up

I think you're too close; If I recall the mob spawning rules are like 25 blocks X/Y away from you, and height doesn't matter.