Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

I'm willing to hang around and discuss other options if people want but that claim is seriously, seriously bad.

:agreed:

Chic can just leave her vote there and I'll help hammer later if folks wanna chat first, I'll be around. I am very concerned about 50 staying silent and refusing to give any specific thoughts on who are the bad guys we need to get to avenge Ilya, and that's worth hashing out if 50 dares show his face in here again. But I don't think I'll ultimately want to abandon the Juch vote to pursue that. It would be good to see where we're at with Juch cause if he IS scum, that would make me feel a lot better about people who were setting up the case on him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Was gonna keep it a secret, but I can only use my ability every other day.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

you could've still kept it a secret! :mad:

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

like honestly that claim sounds fake as heck

also lol @ tobbs waltzing in to case me because i said i was gonna case them

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

this is a weird thing to claim out of nowhere

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

In fact, I'm going to write up a small lorepost to explain why it's bad cause I think that's worth doing for people less familiar!

So, Servants! Servants are Heroic Spirits, famous figures from myth and legend, summoned to do battle! However, not all spirits are created equal, and of course some amount of being a famous hero of myth and legend means your weaknesses can also be well known - the classic example Fate likes to trot out is Achilles. Achilles is really strong if you summon him! But if everyone knows he's Achilles, then you can just aim for the heel of his foot and that's that. So Servants come in and are typically referred to by one of the seven major classes they come in as - Saber, Berserker, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, Lancer.

Servants, however, also draw their power from their mythology in a specific way. Each Servant has what's called a Noble Phantasm. It's effectively an extremely powerful ability that you can use, but the downside is it's an iconic move, so using it effectively gives away your identity.

Cards on the table here: I am a Servant, and my role power ties to my role's Noble Phantasm. TM flipped as Saber with the power of a Strongman Vig - which pretty closely maps to the sheer power of Excalibur.

Lancer in Fate/Stay Night is C Chulainn, his noble phantasm, obviously, is Gae Bolg - a spear that, when loosed, strikes its target without fail. The idea of Juchero having a passive ability that maps to Gae Bolg is why I assumed it would be a PGO - it'd match the flavor accurately (in more than just the way of it being Gae Bolg, but that's not -entirely- important at this juncture) and would be a risky element in play for both Town and Scum alike. Gae Bolg doesn't really... map to any abilities that would redirect powers back on the user. It doesn't really map at all.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

you could've still kept it a secret! :mad:

Well it doesn't really cause any fuckery with Juchero's role, since I can't take any actions the night after I use it anyways. If people are gonna claim Juch is faking his claim because of my ability I feel I need to say something.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Chic Trombone posted:

like honestly that claim sounds fake as heck

also lol @ tobbs waltzing in to case me because i said i was gonna case them

You said you were gonna do it like every day, and AFAIK the only reason is because Quid was pissed at me for thinking Bif was townier than he was.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

originally i meant to do it yesterday but then i got the stomach flu

so

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

also it's for the fact that your d1 interactions with bif look more like scum buddying to a forceful town player than anything else to me

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Chic Trombone posted:

also it's for the fact that your d1 interactions with bif look more like scum buddying to a forceful town player than anything else to me

An interesting take: how do you know for certain Bif is town?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

because i think they are, ive said that at least twice (which you pointed out in your post)

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

do i know for 100% certain no, but it's what the situation reads as to me

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
And as for the apparent "buddying" Quid literally, (and endlessly) tried to play Bif and I off each other.

I had a stronger town read on Bif than Quid. If Bif is scum, bravo, she deserves a win and a medal.

Quid's endless needling just led to me repeating my opinion, which should be obvious. He fell into the trap of thinking everyone casing him is scum. Hell, Quid buddy'd up to Bif far more than I did when he switched his focus from her to me. He still flipped town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I think a lot of the attention on Juchero was due to him coasting, but he's put a lot more opinions out there D2.

Chic's votes are all drive-by's and they haven't cased anyone (despite their best intentions, sorry about the flu!) and we should look at them for the same reason we've been looking at Juchero.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

I was pondering the idea of someone volunteering to target Juch if we execute someone else and something popped into my head. What happens if Tobbs uses his power on Juch - would that trap Tobbs in a loop where he keeps targetting himself with his delay before he can target a new one the next night?

I'm trying to figure out if N20 would put that in this game / if that situation is proof that Juch is lying and so I figured I'd put it out there.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Chic Trombone posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about characterizing Tobbs' information as "out of nowhere" when it was pretty clearly a response to me.

Chic - what exactly is your case on Tobbs? Is he your strongest read after Juch? If not, who?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I think a lot of the attention on Juchero was due to him coasting, but he's put a lot more opinions out there D2.

Chic's votes are all drive-by's and they haven't cased anyone (despite their best intentions, sorry about the flu!) and we should look at them for the same reason we've been looking at Juchero.

I would like to examine Chic when the thread has some downtime - I think there's some strong points being made, but I would really like to see Juchero dunked today.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

I would like to examine Chic when the thread has some downtime - I think there's some strong points being made, but I would really like to see Juchero dunked today.

:same:

Everything Monathin said in that lorepost is correct, btw

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I think 50 is the worst offender of the lot. He hasn't made any cases or named any scum reads, and he soft-claimed doctor (well, "protector") only to dial it back when the cop died.

When you look at his schtick as a way to go undetected as scum I think it's completely plausible.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Monathin posted:

In fact, I'm going to write up a small lorepost to explain why it's bad cause I think that's worth doing for people less familiar!

So, Servants! Servants are Heroic Spirits, famous figures from myth and legend, summoned to do battle! However, not all spirits are created equal, and of course some amount of being a famous hero of myth and legend means your weaknesses can also be well known - the classic example Fate likes to trot out is Achilles. Achilles is really strong if you summon him! But if everyone knows he's Achilles, then you can just aim for the heel of his foot and that's that. So Servants come in and are typically referred to by one of the seven major classes they come in as - Saber, Berserker, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, Lancer.

Servants, however, also draw their power from their mythology in a specific way. Each Servant has what's called a Noble Phantasm. It's effectively an extremely powerful ability that you can use, but the downside is it's an iconic move, so using it effectively gives away your identity.

Cards on the table here: I am a Servant, and my role power ties to my role's Noble Phantasm. TM flipped as Saber with the power of a Strongman Vig - which pretty closely maps to the sheer power of Excalibur.

Lancer in Fate/Stay Night is C Chulainn, his noble phantasm, obviously, is Gae Bolg - a spear that, when loosed, strikes its target without fail. The idea of Juchero having a passive ability that maps to Gae Bolg is why I assumed it would be a PGO - it'd match the flavor accurately (in more than just the way of it being Gae Bolg, but that's not -entirely- important at this juncture) and would be a risky element in play for both Town and Scum alike. Gae Bolg doesn't really... map to any abilities that would redirect powers back on the user. It doesn't really map at all.

100% correct and I agree

unfortunately for me it's the truth

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about characterizing Tobbs' information as "out of nowhere" when it was pretty clearly a response to me.

Chic - what exactly is your case on Tobbs? Is he your strongest read after Juch? If not, who?

he is my strongest read after juchero but i have not read him fully yet to put my case together so it is largely my feeling that they were buddying + gutfeel at this point

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Chic Trombone posted:

he is my strongest read after juchero but i have not read him fully yet to put my case together so it is largely my feeling that they were buddying + gutfeel at this point

even worse than 50?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Monathin posted:

I'm fine with Juch as well.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

mostly i'm irritated with 50, and after their posting about the gambit they attempted i've cooled on them

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

iirc i posted something to that effect when i unvoted them?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Juchero posted:

notice that both rex and prince loving vanished

Juchero, I really want to believe your claim. I think you have the reflection ability you say you do. I've been thinking about this long and hard, and I even slept on it. That's why I was away.

Your Gae Bolg, as described, is not a very useful ability for town to have on its own. In the hands of scum, however, it's unbelievably strong. It would almost be a service to town just to remove your skill from play, just to be absolutely certain it wasn't being used by the enemy.

I am willing to ##unvote for now, just so we can have more discussion. I feel like all you've done to contribute to the thread, Juchero, is to case my Day 1 voting habits and to point an accusatory finger at KhediveRex and I want to assure you that you're probably not looking at the right people.

I want to believe you, Juchero. So, who else is scum? Right now this is a game of who's contributing the most useful information, and you're not winning.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bifauxnen posted:

oh, you have a podcast? What's it about?

I'm doing an episode by episode recap of the British Comedy series Peep Show

Chic Trombone posted:

gallbladder stuff is no good, my thoughts go out to them

Thank you! She fortunately lives in a country with socialized medicine so she's doing fine, just waiting to have the procedure done.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Monathin posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

:same:

Everything Monathin said in that lorepost is correct, btw

I'd vote Juchero. The only thing making me think he's town is that no one else is defending him, but outside of that nervousness I agree that he's seemed scummy all game and that his claim could easily be faked.

I'd personally like to hear 50 answer my questions but maybe I'm just getting my hopes up?

I'm heading out of the house for awhile soon - I'll be checking the thread when possible.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Prince of Space posted:

Juchero, I really want to believe your claim. I think you have the reflection ability you say you do. I've been thinking about this long and hard, and I even slept on it. That's why I was away.

Your Gae Bolg, as described, is not a very useful ability for town to have on its own. In the hands of scum, however, it's unbelievably strong. It would almost be a service to town just to remove your skill from play, just to be absolutely certain it wasn't being used by the enemy.

I am willing to ##unvote for now, just so we can have more discussion. I feel like all you've done to contribute to the thread, Juchero, is to case my Day 1 voting habits and to point an accusatory finger at KhediveRex and I want to assure you that you're probably not looking at the right people.

I want to believe you, Juchero. So, who else is scum? Right now this is a game of who's contributing the most useful information, and you're not winning.

well, if i'm being honest, and with the assumption i actually have the space to put together a case now, i'd like to take a look at chic, b-minus, and MMT

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

It's funny, I had a town read on 50 when he posted these but on a re-read I can see how

(a) his story "I claimed doctor to draw a NK from the cop but alas the cop died" could be easily faked as scum
(b) his story "Quid and I were confirmed to each other" is both incredibly self-serving and doesn't mesh well with 50 not doing anything to defend Quid in-thread
(c) his in-game persona has allowed him to not make cases - his casework is just "look at who was voting for TM/Quid"
(d) his in-game persona has allowed him to fly under the radar - the hardest part of being scum is lying, and 50's style has stopped him from really taking a hard stance on anything.

50 - who are your two strongest suspects for scum?

##vote 50 - we still have time to talk about stuff. I have to admit that Juch is starting to feel like a patsy case to me, given that no one is really pushing any alternatives.

B) BERZERKER NOT KNOW WHO LITTLE GIRL WAS ONLY THAT SHE PURE HEART

BERZERKER NO THINK GOOD NOT BERZERKER FAULT

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Juchero posted:

if I do die, please look at Prince and Rex as scum kthx

Juchero posted:

well, if i'm being honest, and with the assumption i actually have the space to put together a case now, i'd like to take a look at chic, b-minus, and MMT

What changed?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

50 pounds of bread posted:

B) BERZERKER NOT KNOW WHO LITTLE GIRL WAS ONLY THAT SHE PURE HEART

BERZERKER NO THINK GOOD NOT BERZERKER FAULT

If you had a dayvig and had to shoot it right now, who would you shoot and why?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Murmur Twin posted:

What changed?

nothing, those two are still my top scum picks(and also im pretty certain they're masons together), however now that I have some breathing room, there are some players, like you, who I want to look more closely at

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Juch, do you have any other flavor info you can paraphrase from your PM? Anything in the description of your Gae Bolg ability to explain why you have such a strange form of it?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bifauxnen posted:

Juch, do you have any other flavor info you can paraphrase from your PM? Anything in the description of your Gae Bolg ability to explain why you have such a strange form of it?

nothing about gae bolg, just some flavor about Lancer himself and how he's not out for the grail

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Prince of Space posted:

Prince I am asking you this question seriously: Do you naturally pick up on games fast or do you have a knowledge of game theory or what?

If you showed me this post with no context and asked me how many games of mafia this person played I would tell you this looked like a post from a seasoned player. I'm trying hard not to let it taint my view of you but I just feel like something is off.

A view on what powers are town and scum would seem to me to be the kind of thing that someone who has played both sides would know, taking you at face value you have been town for both games.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Anything that isn't an unstoppable kill isn't gonna make sense for gae bolg.

Does that mean Lancer has to be scum? Flavor arguments are bad, if we're gonna lynch him it will be because he's scummy. He seems interested in putting reads out at least. Him doing that helps us regardless of how he flips.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Alright Mafia, you've got me for the next two and a half hours. There's seven left on the clock. Can we get some consensus going?

Juchero, Space and Bread are the top votes at the moment. I'm happy with my vote on Bread. His greatest contribution to the thread so far has been explaining why he misled us and couldn't have defended the cop. Weird potential gambit aside, his behavior in day 1 doesn't line up with the results of N2. And I find it odd that he keeps wanting to remind us that "BERSERKER NO THINK GOOD!" He's not Berserker, he's the person playing Berserker. And I'm sure he's an intelligent person because he seems to like playing Mafia, a complicated high stakes games of subterfuge. "I'm just not smart." Seems like a convenient way to say "Don't think too much about what I've been doing."

So - Yeah. Rex is happiest with a Bread lunch tonight.

I'd vote for Juchero if the thread decides it's best. He was very suspicious of me while there was a bandwagon going in the thread. And yet once thread momentum moved away from me he conveniently forgot to include me in his list of suspicious people. That inclines me to think he was just jumping on the vote that was popular at the time. I think that's more damning evidence than his flavor being funky. But you do have to say, his flavor is really funky.

So - Yeah. I'm okay with voting Juchero.

And finally my gut read on Space is that he's town. He's new like me (as far as I understand). If his cases have been a little weird, I get that. No one has liked any of my cases so far. Some of his have been well enough recieved. The other big peice of evidence is that he voted for Tobbs during the chaos of day 1. That's more difficult to dismiss. Was he hoping for a no-lunch? What else could he have been looking to accomplish? I think Tobbs is a little suspicious too but, he obviously wasn't gonna win the vote with like an hour left on the clock.

So - I don't know. I understand why people are casing him, but I think there are stronger cases at the moment.

And - Yeah ... That's my summary of things. Bread first, Juchero second.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Murmur Twin posted:

If you had a dayvig and had to shoot it right now, who would you shoot and why?

REX
GOOD ONES LEARN THINGS BY KNOWING HIS GOODNESS OR BADNESS

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

50 pounds of bread posted:

REX
GOOD ONES LEARN THINGS BY KNOWING HIS GOODNESS OR BADNESS

yeah not liking this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Does that mean you think Rex is scum, 50? Have you got any actual reads instead of this "we'll learn the most from this flip" hedging?

• Locked thread