Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gringostar posted:

there is actually a r ally good argument to be made that ip laws being as strong as they are right now has seriously stifled the development of music since before recording became a thing everyone stole from everyone else and genres of music would start from offshoots of what others did before hand

jungle is pretty much entirely based on a couple second drum break that's been sliced up and used over and over again and instead of suing everyone the creator of that break just gave it away because he thought art was more important than money, which is super rare these days

Yes, but it's not the "strength" of the IP laws, since they are, by design, supposed to allow a temporary monopoly for the creator. The key issue is that the "temporary" monopoly is being lengthened into perpetuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the really terrible thing is that our IP laws aren't even that unusual compared to any other wealthy country's

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

behind every fortune is a crime

ethereal voice on the wind as it rustles thru the trees ] : property is theft

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Gringostar posted:

jungle is pretty much entirely based on a couple second drum break that's been sliced up and used over and over again

Is it that drum break in Smack My Bitch Up perchance?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

hackbunny posted:

Is it that drum break in Smack My Bitch Up perchance?

originally recorded in the song amen, brother by the winstons in 69

nice

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the really terrible thing is that our IP laws aren't even that unusual compared to any other wealthy country's

The unusual part is that ours keep getting amended because of Disney

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's because we've been pushing hard for international treaties to make them match, and of course ip owners everywhere are going along with it because hell yeah, 20 year monopoly on a drug i found in a plant? don't mind if i do!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also jesus loving christ, stop going to disney world, what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
If I went to a Disney property, I feel I would get felt up by the staff plus the usual sloppy sunburned crowds. I've seen Disney World - a sulfurous scar on the pristine wetlands. Build the mousetrap.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

On a similar note I was waiting for friends to visit a museum exhibit near one of those art districts where blighted industrial areas get gentrified. Right at the border of skid row and expensive condos there was a beautiful public park proudly emblazoned with the metropolitan funding measure that built the park. It was well maintained with modern and new swings and play sets. It was also gated with access code controlled doors. You know, so none of the dirty poors would use it or deface the beautiful greenery. It wasn't solely reserved for the rich nearby of course, I'm sure anyone with a residential address from the neighborhood could apply for an access code. Why yes, that was the only residential building nearby, why do you ask?

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Makes me think of the Nashar Sculpture Center situation in Dallas. Basics are that the Museum was built as part of a revitalization project/the land was a bit more affordable. After it was built the area became nicer, development came with luxury condos nearby - including a really tall one right across from the museum that reflects sunlight so strongly it makes the greenspace around the art center to hot to enjoy and actually could damage/destroy the art. The developer (which fittingly is owned by a pension fund for police and firefighter unions) decided it has no responsibility to change the building to not actively destroy the museum that made the location desirable to begin with. article about the mess:

https://www.archdaily.com/773066/search-ends-for-solution-to-museum-towers-glare-problems-at-nasher-sculpture-center

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tower time posted:

Makes me think of the Nashar Sculpture Center situation in Dallas. Basics are that the Museum was built as part of a revitalization project/the land was a bit more affordable. After it was built the area became nicer, development came with luxury condos nearby - including a really tall one right across from the museum that reflects sunlight so strongly it makes the greenspace around the art center to hot to enjoy and actually could damage/destroy the art. The developer (which fittingly is owned by a pension fund for police and firefighter unions) decided it has no responsibility to change the building to not actively destroy the museum that made the location desirable to begin with. article about the mess:

https://www.archdaily.com/773066/search-ends-for-solution-to-museum-towers-glare-problems-at-nasher-sculpture-center

Why the gently caress does a pension fund own a luxury condo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anything Scott Pruitt does counts I'm pretty sure

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Main Paineframe posted:

Investment?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
hahahahahahah

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
When you think about it, the poor are the real privileged class.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
discriminating against the rich is discriminating against a minority :smug:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/FDRLST/status/720616397118636032?s=17

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They did it. They cracked the code

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

Regarding businessmen, for example, we should condemn those who lie, cheat, and steal. But we should condemn them as individuals for their dishonest and predatory actions. By the same token, we should praise individuals who earn their wealth through ingenuity and effort—not make them pay for other people’s sins.

Yet what we hear from today’s inequality critics is across-the-board denunciations of successful businessmen. Sanders contends “the business model of Wall Street”—which employees hundreds of thousands of productive Americans—“is fraud.” A headline for a Sean McElwee article in Salon tells us “Rich white people are ruining the planet.” Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett write in their popular book “The Spirit Level” that “Rather than adopting an attitude of gratitude toward the rich, we need to recognize what a damaging effect they have on the social fabric.” Replace “the rich” with “Hispanics” or “women” or “Jews” in that sentence, and ask yourself: isn’t this precisely the sort of prejudice we object to when it is targeted at other groups?

Ahahahahaha I'm dying

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disney announces they’ll be casting a wealthy person as a sidekick in the next Star Wars movie, in a risky move for diversity and inclusion in Trump’s America

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Rich just aren't people like you and I. We should keep them confined to resorts and Trump hotels with carefully trained staff to keep them docile.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jeffrey Loria not sharing profits with county or city from $1.2 billion Marlins sale

force it at gunpoint

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Big pension funds splash money almost like private equity firms, in fact they frequently co-invest in private equity ventures

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Ahahahahaha I'm dying

if you think about it, admitting that economic class is assigned at birth and impossible to change (just like sexual orientation or ethnicity) is pretty woke

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Replace "Nazis" with "Jews" throughout this passage. Mind blown yet?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Big pension funds splash money almost like private equity firms, in fact they frequently co-invest in private equity ventures

the big public pension funds like Calpers are some of the biggest investors in PE and other big hedge funds

usually its because the pension funds invest in the hedge funds managed by campaign donors

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Taintrunner posted:

Disney announces they’ll be casting a wealthy person as a sidekick in the next Star Wars movie, in a risky move for diversity and inclusion in Trump’s America

Leia may be a general now but don’t kid yourself, she’s literal royalty and the daughter of a senator. She could have financed the rebel army herself before everything she owned got blown up.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

those born into wealth are no more to blame for their affliction than a rabid dog, and it is not with hate in our hearts that we must put them down but rather love and compassion, for by their very nature they must be destroyed regardless of their innocence

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Ahahahahaha I'm dying

quote:

Sanders contends “the business model of Wall Street”—which employees hundreds of thousands of productive Americans—“is fraud.”

Wall Street is not productive. They literally produce nothing. The best thing you can say for their labor is that it is a bureaucratic effort to guide capital allocations for the economy. For once I'd like to see someone make the case that all financial sector profit should be treated as overhead for the economy as a whole.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
disney's not all bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vLrTNKk89Q

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

Leia may be a general now but don’t kid yourself, she’s literal royalty and the daughter of a senator. She could have financed the rebel army herself before everything she owned got blown up.

its the royal familys own fault for not insuring their planet

why does star wars have so many entire planets that are rules by kings

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wall Street is not productive. They literally produce nothing. The best thing you can say for their labor is that it is a bureaucratic effort to guide capital allocations for the economy. For once I'd like to see someone make the case that all financial sector profit should be treated as overhead for the economy as a whole.

their argument is that the financial industry makes the economy more efficient by allocating capital to the most productive opportunities, and that they have expertise that makes them be able to tell where money should go better than the layperson or the government. therefore the gdp is higher than it would be if investors like pension funds or other capitalists had to pick their investments themselves

this argument is of course ridiculous on its face since financial investment is disproportionately invested in rent extraction and racketeering rather than anything productive

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shear Modulus posted:

this argument is of course ridiculous on its face since financial investment is disproportionately invested in rent extraction and racketeering rather than anything productive
Or that very few traders can consistently out perform index funds -without cheating and relying on junk like insider trading or passing around bags of toxic assets.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the finance industry wasnt paying a bunch of quants to pretend to work all day, well, what would be the point of going to Harvard?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Larry Parrish posted:

If the finance industry wasnt paying a bunch of quants to pretend to work all day, well, what would be the point of going to Harvard?

Insular sneering.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Larry Parrish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRJaa1wbzg

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yes their propaganda cartoons are well known, not sure how that is a counter-example, but cool i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

if you think about it, admitting that economic class is assigned at birth and impossible to change (just like sexual orientation or ethnicity) is pretty woke