Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

There's a fine line IMO between that sort of thing and the people who are driving above the speed limit, in the passing lane, with no traffic in the center, but refuse to move when you come up behind them.

It's less of a fine line and more of a completely different traffic situation than the ones described above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There's a fine line IMO between that sort of thing and the people who are driving above the speed limit, in the passing lane, with no traffic in the center, but refuse to move when you come up behind them.

I've given up on those people. I used to get behind them and flash my lights at them if they didn't move over after 5-10 seconds, now I just blow by them in the middle lane without slowing down. gently caress them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst ones are the fuckers that are clearly doing it deliberately. Like I'll be behind a car during an onramp, they piddle their way up to cruising speed, then cross all the way over to the left most lane. Doesn't matter how full or empty the road is, enough people just want to chill out in the passing lane that I see it a few times a month. I blow by at my cruising speed and try to get away from them.

Best logic I can come up with is that they think it's safer over there, but that's probably giving them too much credit.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

This was not that type of situation.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

xzzy posted:

Best logic I can come up with is that they think it's safer over there, but that's probably giving them too much credit.

It's the furthest lane from where people are merging onto or leaving the highway, so they don't have to pay attention quite as much and therefore have more time to text.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MrLogan posted:

This was not that type of situation.

I know, just sayin'

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been shoulder-passed while chancing fate with a roadside impound because I wanted to see if the Versa could actually utilize the upper third of the speedometer. Apparently my unreasonably high rate of speed wasn't fast enough for the driver of the lifted dodge bro-truck behind me and he blew by on the shoulder and zoomed away. I decided to see just how much faster than me he was going, and after I gained another 40km/h, I was like "yeah, not gonna keep this up" and slowed back down to a much more reasonable 15 over. A few km later, there was the truck with a very unimpressed-looking cop putting the driver in cuffs. I'm very glad he passed me, but the rock chip in my windshield is not.

E: If there was a lesson here, it's that my car needs the valves adjusted, they were tappin' somethin' fierce at 6000rpm. Also, I've never seen a cop on that road before, I may have to adjust my driving habits on the way to my parents' place.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 1, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Apparently my unreasonably high rate of speed wasn't fast enough

If you're in the left lane this logic is never correct. It does not matter how fast you are going, if there's open road in front of you and someone wanting to go faster behind you, you move over at the first reasonable opportunity. Yes, that does occasionally mean slowing down slightly for five seconds to fit in to a gap in the lane next to you. Let them pass, then resume the speed you want, now with bonus rabbit for locating hidden cops.

I don't know why anyone who's speeding *wouldn't* want someone else going faster in front of them, unless they're in a Gumball-style rally where the rear cars are more likely to get pulled over for "driving while stickered".

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As a general rule of thumb, I like to spend most of my time on the highway in the lane adjacent to the left-most lane. I can still pass most of the morons and soccer moms going 10-15 MPH below the speed limit, but it gives the crazies of the world an opportunity to pass even if I'm going 15 over.

Unless it's a 2-lane highway (I'm looking at you, stretch of I-25 between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs). Then it's left lane all the way.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^ 3+ lanes and I'll be in 2nd from left. 2 lanes, always left.

wolrah posted:

If you're in the left lane this logic is never correct. It does not matter how fast you are going, if there's open road in front of you and someone wanting to go faster behind you, you move over at the first reasonable opportunity. Yes, that does occasionally mean slowing down slightly for five seconds to fit in to a gap in the lane next to you. Let them pass, then resume the speed you want, now with bonus rabbit for locating hidden cops.

I don't know why anyone who's speeding *wouldn't* want someone else going faster in front of them, unless they're in a Gumball-style rally where the rear cars are more likely to get pulled over for "driving while stickered".

The road in my story is single lane in each direction with wide shoulders for farm vehicles and horse and buggy users. Guy passed me on the shoulder on the right.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 1, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fermented Tinal posted:

The road in my story is single lane in each direction with wide shoulders for farm vehicles and horse and buggy users. Guy passed me on the shoulder on the right.

Alright, when you said you sped up by 25 MPH on top of already driving fast I assumed we're talking about a highway.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

wolrah posted:

Alright, when you said you sped up by 25 MPH on top of already driving fast I assumed we're talking about a highway.

Highway 26. It's single lane exiting the city and only widens to two in areas there are a lot of left turn-offs and most of the time you have to keep right anyways. It's more or less straight and has some nice steep hills. It actually widens to three (leftmost being left-turn only) where I turn off going to my folks' place.

Highways 6 and 10 are combined here and 2 lane south of the city for about 20km before they split into two 1 lane highways. Where they split to the west of the city they also go 1 lane except in areas where there are a large number of turnoffs.

E: Limits are 80 outside the city, and I routinely get passed while doing 95-110. I was being a fair bit more reckless last night.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 2, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wolrah posted:

Highways can have only one lane in each direction sometimes, though?

I would love to live in whatever luxurious place you live in, where highways all have multiple lanes going in each direction all the time. A loving miracle, that would be...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some people :wrong:ly use the term “highway” only for Interstates or comparable controlled‐access highways.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought freeways were those things that encircle cities and urban areas usually with multiple lanes, and highways were part of the highway system no matter how many lanes. Like, up in rural Idaho there aren't any freeways but there are highways and B-roads connecting everything, but those highways are mostly only one lane each way. But the same highway as it approaches Seattle or Las Vegas spreads out into more lanes and also can sometimes be congruent with the local freeways for a span of their run.

Wait I think I just paradoxed my own logic because of course highways aren't always interstates, wait.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The key characteristic of a freeway is that it lacks at‐grade intersections so traffic may flow freely.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Freeway and highway are also localized. When I moved to Colorado I got made fun of for being an obvious transplant because I described the Valley Highway (I-25) as "the freeway". Apparently nobody uses the word freeway here except for out-of-staters.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love how taxi drivers in my city are the absolute worst. Got honked at from one for not passing a cyclist dangerously close, and the I got a high beam honk from another because I was yielding to traffic coming from the right (the most basic rule when driving...).. good times!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
This week was my first back at work for the year which always increases stress levels mixing with the general idiots on the road. One of the onramps I go past everyday tends to get backed up with people trying to enter and everyone else already on the road slows up cause people switch lanes frequently around the onramp. Zipper merging generally works but every now and then there's people already on the road not happy to share. I left enough space for the two cars infront of me to merge but a third car decided they couldn't wait and squeezed themselves into the rapidly closing gap. I honked my horn and got the finger as a return gesture.

Other highlights include all of the people hanging out in the overtaking lane today not quite doing the speed limit and refusing to merge when 3 or 4 people including a truck undertook them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I thought freeways were those things that encircle cities and urban areas usually with multiple lanes

That's a beltway around here(metro DC area)

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I've given up on those people. I used to get behind them and flash my lights at them if they didn't move over after 5-10 seconds, now I just blow by them in the middle lane without slowing down. gently caress them.

Ehhhh I always give people a chance when I'm really booking it. If I'm doing 90+ I'm not going to risk blowing by someone on their right without first giving them the chance--too much opportunity for them to realize I'm there at the last second and start merging right just as I am as well. Better to let off the gas early, put on my left blinker and give a flash after a few seconds of waiting.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some idiot on her phone cut me off (is it still cutting someone off when you are doing the same speed?) and just sit about 6 feet in front of my bumper without accelerating, in 65 mph traffic. She immediately brake checked me and gave me the what'd I do gesture when I flashed my highs and flipped her off. Could I have backed off faster? Yes. Could she have merge about 3 car lengths further up or given it the gas? Yes.

Oh, and she didn't use her blinkers.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had some idiot on her phone cut me off (is it still cutting someone off when you are doing the same speed?) and just sit about 6 feet in front of my bumper without accelerating, in 65 mph traffic. She immediately brake checked me and gave me the what'd I do gesture when I flashed my highs and flipped her off. Could I have backed off faster? Yes. Could she have merge about 3 car lengths further up or given it the gas? Yes.

Oh, and she didn't use her blinkers.

Was this lady my uber driver from the other night? Cut off a truck getting to an exit within a couple of feet of his bumper, then started yelling at him when he flashed his lights. She said "What's your problem did you die? Did you die?!?! No! Leave me alone!"

gently caress.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Platystemon posted:

Some people :wrong:ly use the term “highway” only for Interstates or comparable controlled‐access highways.
Yeah, pretty much. I basically consider "divided" to be implied by the term "highway". Not necessarily controlled access, but 2+ lanes in each direction with some kind of physical separation greater than a suicide lane.

I acknowledge that technically this road is a highway, US-42, https://goo.gl/maps/1AfLJ4g5Qg12 but I'd be willing to bet that if you stopped any random person anywhere in the square there and asked where the nearest highway was, 100% of them would point you east down OH-18 (also technically a highway) to I-71.

PT6A posted:

I would love to live in whatever luxurious place you live in, where highways all have multiple lanes going in each direction all the time. A loving miracle, that would be...
Every time I travel I'm reminded how nice I have it in this area, where most of the interstate highways and even some of the non-interstate numbered routes have 3+ lanes in each direction. Every time I drive across Indiana it's two lanes per direction pretty much the whole way and inevitably some rear end in a top hat is in no hurry to get anywhere but just has to pass the line of limited trucks at +0.1 MPH.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
From schadenfreude thread

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180131/hit-and-run-leads-to-rollover-but-doesnt-stop-there/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Everyone who does a hit and run should have their car crushed into a cube, IMHO. But chasing them is definitely the wrong way to go about things.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Enjoying the Honda using turn signals when trying to escape. BMW guy needs his license revoked just as much

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if you get in a hit and run and have a dashcam why even fuckin chase the guy down, you have his license plate number already :confused:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

financially racist posted:

if you get in a hit and run and have a dashcam why even fuckin chase the guy down, you have his license plate number already :confused:

Because an Accord dared sully his 7 Series.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Enjoying the Honda using turn signals when trying to escape. BMW guy needs his license revoked just as much

Probably more, in all honesty, especially after the Accord starts driving dangerously to get away.

Even police officers are supposed to discontinue pursuit when it causes that level of risk to other road users.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part is how BMW destroyed his car trying to catch someone who already had their license plate on video.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Best part is how BMW destroyed his car trying to catch someone who already had their license plate on video.

Also they called the cops on the wrong plate number.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wanna see the other 2 clips

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I wonder if the payout for the bumper hit will cover the deductible for the rollover.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Meydey posted:

I wonder if the payout for the bumper hit will cover the deductible for the rollover.

Might be enough to get winter tires.

It's dumb to chase someone you've already filmed. But it's no surprise to me that the BMW 7 series is using Summer tires. No wonder it lost grip.

From the Article:

quote:

Then things really escalate. The BMW driver keeps going in pursuit of the Honda. Likely leaving the Civic driver who stopped to help incredibly confused.

The chase continues while the BMW passenger calls 911.

There were originally three clips, but the last two have been taken down. According to a thread on the VWVortex forum from viewers who saw the other two clips before they got taken down, the chase continued until the BMW spun out again in a parking lot. The driver hit a curb, broke a rear control arm, and the chase ended.

If someone hits you and tries to run, don't chase them. Get a description and a license plate number, and call the police. Because things won't get better. They'll only get worse. Just watch.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I mean, if he hadn't completely run out of talent, he'd probably have been able to keep up with them just fine while calling it in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are his tires completely bald? Did he turn off traction control because he thinks it makes him a better driver?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Meydey posted:

Absolutely not. Two deductibles, both collision. On at fault and the other not at fault. UMPD if he has it could be applied.

FogHelmut posted:

Are his tires completely bald? Did he turn off traction control because he thinks it makes him a better driver?

Article says cold weather and rain. Bet he had bald tires or summers.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

FogHelmut posted:

They're summer tires. Current temperature in that general area is ~ 25 to 30°F. Add bit of moisture on the road and your grip will be bad. Especially considering he has the old Dunlop SP 9000? on his rims. And that's a model which has left production a while ago. So that means old summer tires while driving around in 25 to 30°F on slightly wet roads = poo poo grip.

EDIT
The other picture shows different rims in the front and rear. The front one might be a replacement for damages taken during the chase. He might have mismatched rims/tires though. Which makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Absolutely not. Two deductibles, both collision. On at fault and the other not at fault. UMPD if he has it could be applied.

Article says cold weather and rain. Bet he had bald tires or summers.

I lived in that area for most of my life, no one else was falling off the road, especially the person running from him. He's a huge moron.