Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

A blood-red moon bathes the distant castle in an eerie, unholy light. Its tall outer walls obscure your vision, making it impossible to commit the building's general layout to memory. Not that having such information would be of any use to you. The stories of your clan, the only human visitors that place ever gets, say that the castle is a living entity capable of restructuring itself on a whim. Skeptics who have never had an encounter with the supernatural would surely write off the idea as a preposterous folk tale or superstitious nonsense. And you wouldn't blame them. But you've read your grandfather's memoir, and his father's journal. They were serious men of dour disposition, not known for their sense of humor or boastful tales.

Not only are you fully unconcerned with the question of what it looks like on the inside, the question of what you will find there is equally irrelevant. Monsters. Demons. Malevolent creatures with no name that don't belong to this world. All servants of darkness. And, within one chamber located somewhere deep in the castle, an ancient undead being born of malice. A creature with an unending hatred of mankind. Evil incarnate. Dracula.

A slither of the red moon turns dark and disappears as the night's sky shifts to a pale shade of crimson. The lunar eclipse has begun, and the castle's drawbridge begins to lower itself. You know what will happen once the eclipse has passed completely. Dracula will be reborn, and he will send his troops of darkness into the night to wreck havok upon all of humanity. Streets will run red with blood of the innocent, churches will burn, and the unlucky few who aren't eaten by demons will be bound in chains to serve the dark lord as mindless thralls.

On this horrible night, you are humanity's stalwart defender against an undying foe. Your task is to enter the castle, find Dracula's remains and put them to the torch. Though he is eternal, destroying his physical body will keep the world out of his grasp until the next lunar eclipse threatens to resurrect him. Your children, or your children's children, will face the same gauntlet when the time comes. Hardly a future any father or mother would love to pass onto their children, but such is the fate of your clan.

1. Are you male or female, and what is your name?
A. Male. Write-in a male name.
B. Female. Write-in a female name.

With a loud clanging noise the drawbridge locks into place. A blast of frigid air, carrying with it the stench of rot and decay hits your face. A swarm of bats with glowing red eyes rushes past you. Briefly you wonder if the castle is mockingly inviting you to come inside. Instinctively clutching your weapon you set foot on the wooden drawbridge, ready to strike down any monster foolish enough to stand in between you and destiny.

2. What are you armed with?
A. Your whip. A family heirloom, blessed by no fewer than three popes and passed down the ages from father to son. It provides excellent range, but has little defensive capabilities.
B. A sword and shield. Both are of great quality. You know, because you made them yourself. There's value in being able to hide behind a shield, but there's no such thing as safety in this unholy place.
C. A magic tome. It conjures fire in any way or shape you desire. Anything and everything dies when exposed to a sufficient amount of flame, but this weapon is neither subtle nor stealthy.
D. A S&W Model 39 handgun. The specially made silver parabellum rounds will make short work of any human-sized supernatural abomination. As long as you don't run out of ammo.
E. Something else. Write-in.

You find yourself standing in the gatehouse, a structure built into the castle's outer wall. Ahead of you lies the courtyard, which is littered with many dead bodies in various states of decomposition. Any normal person save for the battle-hardened or deeply disturbed would surely retch at the sight, but you find no time to empty your stomach contents. Dracula is around here somewhere, and you must destroy him. You quickly scan the area looking for potential points of entry into the castle, and notice the following:

Pictured: an incomplete side-view map of Dracula's castle. Blue squares represent visited areas. Brown squares are doors/windows/etcetera to other areas of the castle. The red dot is our would-be vampire killer's current location.

* Maybe 100 yards ahead of you, at the end of a cobblestone footpath, you spot a large wooden door that stands about twenty feet tall. Probably the entrance to the castle proper, but because the castle is a living entity capable of re-arranging itself, you cannot know for sure. (Location on map: square C-11)

* You almost missed it, but there seems to be an open - if narrow -window in one of the castle towers. Climbing up to the window will not be an easy task, for it is about 60 feet up in the air and the tower wall appears to have few natural hand holds. (Location on map: B-10)

* Right beside your feet is a trap door. You try to lift it open and find that it is not locked, but looking down the hole you can't readily see where it leads or what is down there. There's no ladder either, so jumping down likely is a one-way trip. (Location on map: A-11).

For a second you pause to make up your mind on how to proceed. But before you can make a decision, you feel another gust of frigid air and putrescent rot hit your face. But this time it somehow feels different, as if you aren't the intended target.

The wind picks up and begins to howl not unlike the howl of a wolf or other wild predator. Necromantic tendrils of rot and darkness scamper across the courtyard and burrow themselves into the decaying corpses, which promptly start to twitch. Twitches turn into squirms, and squirms turns into violent spasms. A pang of dread suffuses your being when you see a few of the reanimated corpses reach for nearby rusted weapons, shields, rocks and other improvised weapons. The first of the skeletal figures to get on their feet slowly start to shamble towards you.

If you don't do anything now, you will soon find yourself surrounded by approximately a hundred undead beings. There's no time for careful deliberation; whatever your fight-or-flight response tells you to do, you have to act fast.

3. What will you do?
A. Make a run for the large wooden door and hope it isn't locked. I might have to fight a few enemies that are in my way, but I can avoid fighting the majority of them.
B. Climb up to the open tower window. I can get there faster than the wooden door in option A, but this choice involves climbing. If I fall, I'll have an awful lot of enemies to defeat.
C. Open the trap door next to me and jump in. The quickest option, but I won't be able to get back to the courtyard if I take it.
D. I'm a well-trained warrior from a vampire-fighting clan, and I don't run from these pathetic undead thralls! I fight until the last one stops moving.
E. Something else. Write-in your plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Introduction
Hello, and thank you for opening this thread. If you've made it this far, you're probably interesting in playing this game. Allow me to explain the premise of this game before you do, because this CYOA is a bit different from other CYOAs in The Game Room.

What do you mean?
In most create-your-own-adventure games there's a clear division between the gamemaster and players. The players say what the main character(s) should do, and the GM processes these choices to update the story. This relationship is static - the GM is always the same person, and the same goes for the players. But in this game, the players take turns at being the GM.

How does that work?
After the current GM posts his or her update, a 24 hour period called the 'voting phase' begins. During this time period, players can cast votes on what the main character should do. The last person to cast a vote during the voting phase automatically becomes the next GM, who will then tally the votes and write the next update.

I'm the next GM. How much time do I have to write the update, and how long should it be?
Once the voting phase is over you have 48 hours to post the next update. Write as much or as little as you're comfortable with. There's no minimum or maximum word count, but I think this game probably lends itself better for short and sweet updates.

It's been 48 hours since the end of the voting phase, but there hasn't been an update yet. Now what?
Has the GM made a post about when we can expect the next update? If not, then the first post to post in the thread that he or she is writing an update will be the de facto GM.

Does this game have an ending? If so, when should I call it?
I included a map of sorts in the update that I wrote. It shows the castle from a side perspective. Currently it's mostly empty; there's only a few blue squares which show the gatehouse and the path leading to the tower and big wooden door. Whenever the main character enters a new area, the current GM should draw the new area on the map.

The game continues until approximately 75%-90% of the map's squares are filled in. At that point the players have fully explored the castle, and it's time to fight the final boss. Dracula, of course, is preparing himself for the final battle somewhere in the last room that we visit. Once he's dead (again), the game ends.

The main character just entered a new area. But I don't have an image editing program/post from a mobile phone/have lobster claws for hands, and can't update the map.
Use the map's grid numbers to specify the width and height of the area, and the location of any doors. (New rooms can be up to 6 map squares in size). I (or someone else) will edit the map for you.

I'm the GM. The players just voted to do something incredibly stupid/suicidal/both and They Must Be Punished. Can I kill the main character?
Yes, go ahead. But this doesn't end the story. Once you post your update we'll have a laugh, and then we'll rewind the clock to before the bad decision was made. Instead of having a new voting phase, the very next person to post in the thread becomes the GM. That GM is not bound by what the players voted to do, and gets to write an update detailing what the main character obviously should have done to avoid an incredibly stupid/suicidal situation. The story continues from there.

Can I be the GM twice in a row?
No. You can be the GM multiple times, but not twice in a row. If you're the GM and happen to be the last person to cast a vote before the end of the voting phase, the player who posted before you gets to GM instead.

I don't want to GM, just vote. Can I do that?
Yes, but make sure to say so in your post. (And you probably should avoid posting during the last few minutes of the voting phase).

I'd like to participate, but I don't know anything about the deep and rich lore of Castlevania
What is this "Castlevania" you speak of?

But seriously. Don't let my first post dictate the tone of this game and feel free to make bold, declarative statements about the game's world. What's to say there isn't a basketball court or indoor swimming pool hiding behind the next door?

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2018

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The story so far...
1. Prologue
2. An early run-in with Dracula by Nyaa
3. Awakening in the Lingering Cells by Bee Bonk
4. Esmeralda, the skeletal nun by Magnusth
5. Beset by an evil doppelgänger/a bad case of food poisoning by MinutePirateBug
6. Of puzzles and punches by Dog Kisser
7. Of treasures and traps by Zybourne Clock
8. The petting zoo from hell by Disproportionate Orphan
9. Pact with the Rat King by Slaan
10. The conservatory by Megane
11. Man-eating plants by WereGoat
12. To the victor go the spoils by DogKisser
13. Knowledge is power by Zybourne Clock
14. He has a librarian, because of course he would by don't be mean to me
15. The pyromancer's key by Prince of Space
16. Kitchen Nightmares by Zybourne Clock
17. Extra crispy by MinutePirateBug
18. A pyrrhic victory by Slaan
19. Vampire: the Masquerade Ball by WereGoat
20. Bat, Vulture and Rabbit by Bee Bonk
21. A challenge has been issued by Lord Zedd-Repulsa
22. Game over #1 - possessed by a ghost by Zybourne Clock
23. Violating the Geneva convention by TheGreatEvilKing
24. An unusual mirror by Zybourne Clock
25. Ceremony of the Knight by TheGreatEvilKing
26. Things that make my blood boil by Zybourne Clock
27. Pest control by Prince of Space
28. Ice to meet you by TheGreatEvilKing

The most recent map of the castle

Blue squares are rooms that we've visited. A brown rectangle on the edge of a room indicates a door/window/other kind of opening. (Note: a door might not always be visible when we first enter a room). Yellow squares are places we know of, but haven't visited yet. Green crosses indicate locations that we know for certain contain treasures/useful items. There might be other items hidden in the castle, but rooms with a green cross are known to have loot for sure. The little red dot (square S-16) is Winifred's current location.

Rooms that we've visited
The courtyard [A-11, B-11, C-11, B-10]
A large open space where Winifred fought an army of skeletal warriors. The castle's drawbridge is controlled from the gatehouse in square A-11. There's also a trap door in that space that leads down. An open window in squar B-10 leads to a room inside a tower. The large door in square C-11 leads directly to Dracula's throne room.

Great Hall [D-10, D-11, E-10, E-11, F-10, F11]
A room shrouded in darkness of seemingly infinite size. This is where we first met Dracula who, instead of outright killing us, decided to strip us of most of our spells, knock us out cold, and dump us in some faraway room of his castle for his entertainment. Other than the doorway in square C-11, we're currently not aware of any other entrances or exits.

Lingering cells [U-12]
A gloomy, damp cell where we met Esmeralda, the skeletal nun. She offered us a bowl of soup, which we gratefully accepted. There's a door leading to an unnamed corridor (square T-12) and a corroded grate going down (square U-13).

Unnamed corridor [T-12]
An otherwise unremarkable long corridor comprised of unworked limestone block walls and mottled granite cobblestones. This is where an evil clone sprang forth from our flesh, which we defeated handily. It has a single door leading to the blood trap room.

Blood trap room [Q-12, R-12, S-12, R-13, R-14]
Initially presenting itself as a puzzle of sorts, this room turned out to be one of the castle's traps. Not long after entering it, the door locked behind us and the place started to fill up with blood from a number of strange rivers which are said to run under the castle. We escaped it by means of a short-range teleportation spell. Considering how it only has a single known entrance and is probably flooded by now, the room is a dead end.

Rat King's jail cell [T-15]
A dark, candle-lit room stocked with cages filled with the remains of animals. In one cage we found the Rat King, a being that offered us aid in exchange for his freedom. After granting him his freedom, the Rat King promised Winifred his subjects would not attack him. In addition to that, she was given some information about a few nearby rooms. There's a rope ladder leading to square T-14, a door to the left leading to square S-15 and a door to the right leading to the spiral staircase. We also found a (quite ancient) ledger of goods moved into the castle in this room. The locations of interesting items are marked with green crosses on our map.

Spiral staircase [U-15, V-11 to V-15]
A spiral staircase leading to several rooms. Each landing on the staircase features large chandeliers with colored candles arranged to form arcane symbols, indicating what can be found behind the door. By going left in square U-15, one would return to the Rat King's jail cell. The chandelier above the door in square V-14 bares a green sigil meaning 'knowledge' or 'corruption', and leads to the conservatory. A violet sigil meaning either 'weaponry' or 'preparation' adorns the ceiling above the door leading to V-13, which leads to the library. The red sigil in square V-12 represents either 'sustenance' or 'slavery'. At the top of the staircase (V-11) is a door that leads to the Ballroom.

The conservatory [W-14, X-14]
As its name implies, Dracula keeps a lot of plants in this room. Of both the medicinal and man-eating variety, the latter of which tried to drown us in a fountain. This room is a dead end and only leads back to the spiral staircase.

The library [W-13, X-13]
Dracula's personal library. It 'employs' a librarian who claims to be called Greeves Whitegraves, which does not sound the least bit suspicious. The library seemingly only connects to the spiral staircase, but Greeves claims that the library's fireplace has a secret passageway that leads to his quarters.

The Room of Sustenance and Slavery [W-11, W-12, X-11, X-12]
The castle's kitchen and slave pen. According to a ledger found in an earlier room, this location houses something important (but it doesn't specify what it is). This is where Winifred was attacked by an undead dragon, made from the reanimated remains of dead slaves. Currently a blazing inferno. A door in square W-12 leads back into the spiral staircase. A hidden servant's passage in square W-11 leads to the Ballroom.

The Ballroom [U-9, U-10, V-9, V-10, W-9, W-10]
A fancy ballroom filled with hundreds of partygoers. Undoubtedly one of the nicest places in Dracula's castle, if it weren't for the fact all those partygoers happen to be vampires. Spelldrinkers make it very difficult to cast magic here, and we don't seem to be able to keep very focused either. A hidden passageway in square W-10 leads to the Room of Sustenance and Slavery. The door in square V-10 leads back to the spiral staircase. There's a balcony in square U-9 that's connected to the Hall of Madness.

Hall of Madness [Q-9, R-9, S-9, T-9]
Mirrors everywhere in this long hallway. Instead of just reflecting her image, they show Winifred in a number of different scenarios. Looking at these mirrors for too long is mentally taxing, except for one large scrying mirror. All mirrors in this room have shattered. The door in T-9 leads to the Ballroom's balcony.

Chapel [V-1, V-2, W-1, W-2, X-1, X-2]
Winifred hasn't been here yet, but knows of this room's existence because she saw it in a scrying mirror.

Boiler Room [S-13, S-14, T-13, T-14, U-13, U-14]
A boiler room that pumps blood around the castle. Connects to the Lingering Cells (U-13) and the Rat King's prison cell (T-14). There's a pipe that leads... somewhere in square S-14.

Winifred's inventory
Winifred's Grimoire - A spellbook which allows her to wield the power of fire in any way she sees fit, only limited by her imagination. Alas, Dracula shredded most of it to pieces and our vampire hunter now only has two three five spells left:
* The Remembered Flame Avenges, which lets her summon fiery wraiths to fight or otherwise serve her
* The Ember Ignites a Thousand Flames, which empowers the effect of other spells or magical effects.
* Hyrr Logi, the Flame Knight's steed, a short-range teleportation spell constrained by a peculiar set of rules. She recovered this spell from one of the castle's traps.
* Ignition, a basic short-range fireball spell used for lighting torches, fuses, and enemies on fire. An orb of intense flame is projected a short distance from the user's palm that either burns, ignites, or melts anything it touches. This spell was given to her by the castle's librarian.
* Eldritch Flame, also known as Will-O-The-Wisp. It creates a floating blue-green flame that follows Winifred around and lights things of interest with a harmless cool light. Not one of her original starting spells, it was taught to her by the castle's librarian.

Rusted chain - Pried from the walls of the Lingering Halls, these chains are rusted but can still pack a punch if swung.

Strange Dagger - Made of an unidentified material, this weapon is both razor sharp and incredibly well-balanced - perhaps supernaturally so. Winifred found this in the castle's conservatory while fighting a man-eating plant.

Spectral Espadrilles - A pretty nice pair of shoes that allow Winifred to walk on air as if it were solid ground. That, and anyone who sees her dancing in them will have the irresistable urge to join in.

Bag of exploding vampire poison - rat poison and extremely volatile kelo nuts mixed together in a bag. Will ruin a vampire's day if it ingests it.

Alchemical components
Carnivorous vine - In a pinch, you could use it as a rope. You were certain that if you treated it you could enchant it to entangle things on its own. Harvested from dead man-eating plants in the conservatory.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 30, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Name: Marmaduke Wiffleton III
Weapon: Whip

Use our trusty whip to help us Climb to B.

Also I never want to GM. There's always a good chance of me being somewhere without data coverage and I can only post from my phone.

But Im looking forward to this. Sounds like fun.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This is incredibly fascinating! I'll sink my teeth into this later!

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

1. B
2. C
3. D

This collection of kindling will be a good warm-up, and a chance for Winifred Whitegraves to put her latest transcription of Solomon's Scorching Scythes to the test.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Bee Bonk posted:

1. B
2. C
3. D

This collection of kindling will be a good warm-up, and a chance for Winifred Whitegraves to put her latest transcription of Solomon's Scorching Scythes to the test.

Oh I like the sound of this.

BCD, Winifred Whitegraves

I'm not comfortable committing to a GM spot for now so I'm just a wrongvoter

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 4, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bee Bonk posted:

1. B
2. C
3. D

Fine, bandwagon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bee Bonk posted:

1. B
2. C
3. D

Fire wielding book toting lady nerds are hot. bandwagoning

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Outrail posted:

Fire wielding book toting lady nerds are hot. bandwagoning
Bandwagon it is

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I'll hop on the bandwagon and vote 1B, 2C, 3D.

As a reminder, people can't be the GM twice in a row. In about three hours the voting phase will end. If this is the last post before that happens, the person to vote before me becomes the GM. In this case, that would be Nyaa.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The voting phase has ended and the results are in. 1B, 2C and 3D have won, and Nyaa gets to write the next update.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Having been following his Isekai thread and remembering his Trump one, we're in for a wild ride early on lads. Buckle up, this is gonna be good.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The first foe to meet Winifred the Red Specter of Whitegraves clan, is a a mere skeleton of a fallen victim. Drap of meats and pieces of organs hung around the fouly-aged rib cage, tightly cling to the bone and refused to return to earth.

The skeleton bangs its rusted sword on its shield, mimicking a pitiful imitation of intimidation of its past memories. It seem the owner’s soul is still trapped within to feed ‘experience’ to grostest act against God. Yet, the almighty have turned its eyes to this darkness, and thus it is up to the Whitegraves clan to deal with what the priest should have done.

Incomprehensible whispers of noise and sound mutter on the lips of the white-haired vampire hunter, its lyric and prayers dances towards the burning book in her left hand. As if reacts to the burning text, her white hair gradually glow into a soft burning scarlet color that which can’t be found on earth. Even Her eyes shine with crimson whiteness of a bloodied snow field. It is dark magic this hunter have pursued. For God have chosen not to intervene in this battle of man and monster for millennium. What the past sin of man to receive such unforgiving treatment from heaven has long been forgotten, followed by slaughters of mankind by monsters of the night.

Advancing bravely- Or rather, by the command of its dark master, the skeleton approaches without a care for the now burning sorcerer, whom have become an embodiment of the flame. Yet, it is merely a small bon fire desperately trying to lit the darkness of the tall and might castle. It is unimpressed.

Crackling from the knees of the skeleton warrior signals its charges towards the intruder who dares to be a bother to its dark master of the castle. Rasing its rusty sword up high, the skeleton jaw expand wide as if it was yelling its battlecry, or begging to be free of its trapped torment of eternity.

Retaliation came to those fool who would charge under the attention of a chanting sorcerer, a ball of flame is all it needed to be release from the right hand and flew at great speed like a propelled projectile into the skeleton. If this is a normal fire, the fireball would have flew pass the empty ribcage and leave its trace of flame upon the skeleton who would feel no pain, and so not afraid of such useless attack. However, it was not useless. The fireball blasted something in the center emptiness of the skeleton, a shape of man form from the expanding flame that already envelope the poor skeleton who is now motion in pain of agony and that of suffering. It drops to its knee hugging its outlined chest of flame until the flame being to invade into the invisible body until the shape is gone. The soul have become the price of the dark power. God would surely not miss him.

Rustling and numerous footstep quickly approaches from the darkness of the left entrance and right trap door. More skeletons have come, seeking for the sinner who made their comrade cries with such undeserving sorrows.

The scarlet hunter’s expression remain uncaring as she continues to stares towards the front castle door that leads to the immortal foe that she prey. The only merciful responds to the cries of the charging skeletons of dozen, no, even more, hundreds follows to the crude mistress whom’s flatten palms sends roaring jets of flame to engulf more victim of the dark magic. All of them scream their unheard pain from their soul. Even hell would not have the rights to claim them when all become dust. For there’s nothing to claim.

Fire continues to burn unceasingly, as if having a will of its own, the flame continues its caress and greedy consumptions every speck of lifeforce that is left in this hall of hell and pit of fire.

1) Winifred muttered something more before her steps towards the front door, but no spell manifest. It is…
A) A prayer for their soul that are no more
B) A personal mantra to steel her heart. Write-in
C) A sneeze and nothing more
D) An insult to the dead
E) An incantation to keep the fire going forevermore

The large wood door swings open into the grand hall of the castle. Strange. The wall doesn’t not match the wooden wall, but there’s no need to investigate the oddity as it close behind the flaming witch. What is surprising, was the sudden change of her expression.

“It can’t be.” She muttered to no one but the one true foe sitting on the throne.

A sly smile open slowly as the well dressed gentleman in elegant black coat, its color darker than black, unseeable texture yet memorizing to the eyes to dare to stares. The abyss within its coat stares back unfalteringly, and hungrily.

“Dracula.” Winifred’s voiced the name of her immortal enemy.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
E

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Evocation of the fire within to bring it without and manifest it as a purifying force!

vvvv ok yeah that's pretty awesome. F

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 5, 2018

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

F, the 44th mantra of forgotten flames; which gathers and subsumes all flames in our soul, including the soul-flame of the spirits, that we can keep ther memories and names forevermore.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Magnusth posted:

F, the 44th mantra of forgotten flames; which gathers and subsumes all flames in our soul, including the soul-flame of the spirits, that we can keep ther memories and names forevermore.

Paying respects to this

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

dont be mean to me posted:

Paying respects to this

:five: :vince: that reference :vince: :five:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Three score and seven minutes from now, henxenritter will become the new GM if no one cockblock him.

As current GM, i change the rule to allow my permenent Unrevoltable Platinum membership of Goonhood.

*Platnium Goonhood can cancel someone’s vote instead of voting.

** Also known as Gerrymandering.

*** I actually don’t give a drat about it.

**** I am bored in a car.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

henxenritter is now god GM. His minimum word count is set to 3000.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Nyaa posted:

henxenritter is now god GM.

Where I live, you posted at around one in the morning. The voting phase won't end for a few more hours (7 PM EST). Also, as funny as stumbling upon Dracula in the second room of the castle is, I'm going to go ahead and limit the maximum size of new rooms to 6 squares.

Other than that the next GM gets to decide on how to handle Dracula's early appearance. He wouldn't be the first villain to do that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I didn’t know ex-gm can still make rules.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I'm down to be a GM when my turn comes! For now, voting plan Magnusth

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Zybourne Clock posted:

Where I live, you posted at around one in the morning. The voting phase won't end for a few more hours (7 PM EST). Also, as funny as stumbling upon Dracula in the second room of the castle is, I'm going to go ahead and limit the maximum size of new rooms to 6 squares.

Other than that the next GM gets to decide on how to handle Dracula's early appearance. He wouldn't be the first villain to do that.

It wouldn't be the first Castlevania to go "Hi, I'm Dracula, welcome to my castle. You hosed up." *Real Castlevania Starts Here*

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

As current GM i declare removal of the room size limitation. It cull creativity of the newer gm and restrict them to the original rule, which is going against the spirit of the thread letting the next game master decides what he want to do.

More importantly, it takes 8 blocks to be able to draw a dick!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Nyaa posted:

As current GM i declare removal of the room size limitation. It cull creativity of the newer gm and restrict them to the original rule, which is going against the spirit of the thread letting the next game master decides what he want to do.

More importantly, it takes 8 blocks to be able to draw a dick!

First and most importantly, you can draw a dick with 6 blocks just as easily. Second, don't be a butt.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I got dickbutted

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Nyaa posted:

I didn’t know ex-gm can still make rules.

I think that if you check page 382 of this third party source book, you'll find that I totally can!

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Down for The Magnusth Agenda.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I absolve myself of all writing duties for now because :stonk:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hexenritter posted:

I absolve myself of all writing duties for now because :stonk:

Yeah I can't compete with a Nyaa update. Seconded.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

So, uh, by the rules, who is actually next to write the update? Beebonk? DK?

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Magnusth posted:

So, uh, by the rules, who is actually next to write the update? Beebonk? DK?

The last person to cast a vote before the voting phase ends will be the next GM. The voting phase immediately starts the moment an update is posted and always lasts 24 hours. So right now, Bee Bonk is slated to be next. Unless someone else casts a new vote before 7:04 PM EST/12:04 AM GMT.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

As the spectral flames of Solomon scourge the last of the infernal unlife from the rickety reanimates, leaving only charred bone and drifts of dust and ash, You mutter with long practice the 44th Mantra of Forgotten Flames, naming and subsuming the shades of the departed within the crucible of your soul. These wretched victims of Dracula's cruelty, damned though they may be, will not be forgotten, and may perhaps gain a measure of the rest denied them here, in the belly of Chaos.

Compassion for the lost is quickly forgotten, however, as the you enter the Great Hall, striding though the great doors that seem to open just for you, and come face to face with the ancient foe, lounging upon his throne.

The room is immense, cavernous; far larger than it should be, or even has any right to be, in the creation of any mindful god. Eternal night stretches off in all directions not merely absence of light, but an oppressive, all-too-present darkness, teeming with beady pinpricks of scarlet light. The eyes of Dracula's armies of the night, awaiting his order to rend you asunder? Or perhaps the dim stars of whatever hell spawned the Lord of this Estate.
Either way, you feel the rising of primal terror within you, and you silently intone the Hammer of Svarog, steeling your resolve and kindling your righteous fury.

"Dracula," you utter, no mere syllables capable of containing your hatred.

The elder vampire regards you with icy disdain, gaze seeming to instantly dismiss you as a crawling insect, beneath notice. But after a moment, his eyes, utterly bereft of mercy and gleaming with infernal radiance, seem to narrow in recognition.

"God," Dracula sneers. "God? Precisely where do you think you are, child? You have stumbled, or perhaps been sent by your elders, a sacrificial offering, into the very heart of my power. God?

"I̼̩̘̳̫̖ ͉̖A̪̻̭M͎̰̬ ̘̞̙̯G̦̻̬̹̖͍͎Ọ̻̠̦̝D͈͚ ̤̻̜̳̫̙̺̯̣H̭̦͙̺̥̮Ẹ̹͍̹͖̦̥R̩͎̹͇̟̼̩E͎̻͖͍̘͙.̹̜̗̼͈."

Dracula does not rise, at least not in any way you can see...In the blinking of an eye, he is simply before you, his presence effortlessly swamping you in waves of choking terror. He seems to grow, filling every corner of your awareness, leaving no crevice safe for the tiny, screaming thing to which your mind has been utterly reduced.

And then...

Darkness.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

You awaken. Or live again...you couldn't say. Brackish water drips upon your face, and you pull away, wiping at your eyes with hands that seem sluggish. You find yourself sprawled upon a stone bier in a gloomy chamber of greenish fitted stone, not restrained in any way you can see, and seemingly whole of body, if lethargic. You quickly take stock of your possessions...all present, except...

"Where is my book?!"

"I beg your pardon, my child," echoes a hollow voice from the gloom. You whirl, hands already flying into the invocation of a Flame Arrow, and find yourself facing a skeletal figure in a nun's habit, holding what appears to be...a bowl of soup?

"My grimoire," you demand, feeling desperately unequipped without it, but maintaining a tough facade.

"I'm sorry," the skeleton replies, "I don't know anything about that...I did find this clutched in your hand, though...does that help?" Offered gingerly between bony fingers is what you immediately recognize as two pages from your book.
1. But which ones? (Select two)
A. A spell to summon a fiery whip, to scourge your foes.
B. A spell to erect a burning shield, protecting you from attacks both physical and magical.
C. A spell to embody the flickering of flame, making yourself incredibly agile and evasive.
D. A spell to fire a tiny, but lethal star of flame at a distance.
E. A spell to purge ills from the flesh, sealing wounds and boiling away ailments.
F. Another worthy invocation, capable of:________________.

"You're quite blessed to be alive and whole," the skeleton continues, "after confronting the Master like that."

"Where am I," you demand, feeling slightly better after tucking the grimoire pages into your gauntlet.

"In the Lingering Cells," the skeleton replies. "Durance of the Wasting Legion. But don't get the wrong idea, my child. You're free to go."

"You're just going to let me go," you challenge, already mentally scanning the words of your solitary incantation in anticipation of battle and scanning the room.

"Of course. Only...you seem quite weak. If you insist on exploring the castle, you'll need your strength." The skeleton gently offers the bowl of soup. "It will do you no harm, I assure you, and it will do you a world of good." The spoon clinks against the rim of the bowl, invitingly. A chunk of what looks like mutton briefly surfaces, before sinking beneath the surface of the savory-smelling broth. Even in this place, after your ordeal, your stomach gurgles.

You are alone in a gloomy cell with a skeleton offering you soup.
There is a single door, warped and slimy with moisture. It has a bar, but it is not engaged.
There is a corroded grate in the floor large enough to admit you, but it gurgles unwholesomely.

2. What do you do now?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

AE eat the soup

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

CE, eat up, see if there's anything in here we can use as a makeshift weapon, take no action which harms our caretaker

EDIT: Powers vote changed!

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 7, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CE, let's try the soylent soup that's obviously not made of people. Caretaker was once a nun and she doesn't seem to want to die so we should afford her the courtesy of not ashing her.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
That was an awesome update. Did you draw those images yourself? I can't imagine that 'skeletal nun offering a bowl of soup' is an easy picture to just find somewhere.

1. A (because of course we need a whip) and B
2. Greedily eat that soup and, if it's good, ask her what's in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yes, Bee Bonk does all his own artwork. See his other threads Wrecking Crew and Outlaws of Thoon for more.

• Locked thread