Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You got gud parrying Maria, you can parry the Smash Bros too!

I did get it eventually! Took about a solid hour, but I made it. I gave up on parrying them and switched to dodges and backstabs eventually. When I managed to kill the anchor guy my heart was practically pounding out of my chest because I knew if I hosed up on the little brother it'd be another hour before I managed that feat again.

And I didn't actually learn to parry phase three Maria, I backed her into a corner and just hit her over and over and over and over until she was dead. I fully expected to die but I was past the point of caring, I just wanted the catharsis of hitting her a few times instead of failing parries and dying, or failing dodges and dying. But a kill's a kill!

I am the Maria now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

hampig posted:

He's definitely not random, he runs 1 square away in the opposite direction to you (unless that isn't possible - notably the time he runs into the mirror) so you have to use the level layout to move him like a piece in a puzzle game.

That makes the three times in which he turned 180 degrees and got stuck on me briefly before running back the way we'd just come a bit hard to explain.

I'm willing to accept the game broke on me if it really isn't random like you say, my PS4's been acting weird the past week and hitching when trying to load things mid-game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

hampig posted:

He's definitely not random, he runs 1 square away in the opposite direction to you (unless that isn't possible - notably the time he runs into the mirror) so you have to use the level layout to move him like a piece in a puzzle game.

Which is one of the reasons he is easier with co-op help than without

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've been playing through with my ARC build and it's starting to feel a little underwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm offline and can't pick up the best gems, but I really feel like STR/SKL is better for melee and BLT is better for ranged combat. Don't get me wrong, swinging a Fire Saw Cleaver or Tonitrus around is fun, but I'm already at 50 ARC and thinking "this is it?". The Holy Moonlight Sword feels really weak, too. I've socketed good gems in but it only does about the same damage as my other weapons at a much slower speed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I've been playing through with my ARC build and it's starting to feel a little underwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm offline and can't pick up the best gems, but I really feel like STR/SKL is better for melee and BLT is better for ranged combat. Don't get me wrong, swinging a Fire Saw Cleaver or Tonitrus around is fun, but I'm already at 50 ARC and thinking "this is it?". The Holy Moonlight Sword feels really weak, too. I've socketed good gems in but it only does about the same damage as my other weapons at a much slower speed.

50 ARC is not, in fact, it. Tools scale well all the way up to 99. Also, you want to use Nourishing gems on the HMS and have decent STR and SKL as well as ARC.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Any weapon like the HMS with split physical/elemental damage is actually a strength or skill weapon which just benefits from arcane as a bonus, so they're bad with arcane but no investment in the physical stat

With arcane alone, the way to go is a physical-only weapon converted to an element because then 100% of the damage will benefit from your scaling, and for this you definitely are going to suffer if you're offline and don't have the mats to do FRC dungeons, but it won't be garbage. Do push arcane to 99 for max damage tools though.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Digirat posted:

Any weapon like the HMS with split physical/elemental damage is actually a strength or skill weapon which just benefits from arcane as a bonus, so they're bad with arcane but no investment in the physical stat

Really? I knew the Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy were not real ARC weapons, but even the HMS? That A scaling going to waste is so disappointing. I figured it at least had good Arcane damage in transformed mode and the weapon page was misleading :negative:
I actually don't have any qualms with the tool damage right now; that's pretty good. It's my weapons that feel underwhelming. I've got adequate gems I feel (10-15%) for where I am (Forbidden Woods/Research Hall/Layer 3-4), so maybe it's my weapons? I'm using the Saw Cleaver for Fire and the Tonitrus for Bolt. Should I try the Whirligig or Cane instead?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The physical damage gets partly converted to arcane, so the HMS's transformed mode is only good if there's enough physical damage to convert. So you want strength first, arcane second. this also goes for the wheel.

My arcane character rolled with a beast hunter saif mainly. that thing puts out some great damage when transformed and using the right element, and it has a sweepy mode too so there's very little it can't do.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

The physical damage gets partly converted to arcane, so the HMS's transformed mode is only good if there's enough physical damage to convert. So you want strength first, arcane second. this also goes for the wheel

Drop the saw cleaver, it has crap ARC scaling. Saw cleaver is the weapon you use when you don't have stats in anything.

Go 18 STR 12 SKL 50 ARC and use a fire Whirligig saw (0.77 ARC coefficient compared to .55 for saw cleaver) and probably lightning on Ludwig's Holy Sword (0.88 arcane scaling). Use the HMS on things weak to arcane and it will totally wreck them with 50 ARC. If you are wanting to use arcane tools, getting any more STR or SKL is sheer idiocy unless you want to overlevel yourself for the content. You could probably get by with 16 and a fire LHS if you are the parsimonious type.

If you must buy stats, 25 STR and 25 SKL will do more damage than 50 STR. HMS untransformed is a quality weapon, 0.8 STR 0.6 SKL as opposed to something like the whirligig saw which is 1.1 STR 0.3 SKL.

Choose your own path, this is advice based on knowing the actual numbers and being able to multiply two numbers together and process the results coherently. Google "bloodborne scaling coefficients" if you really want to see behind the curtain but you'll have to stick a finger or two into Reddit. Too much insight can be dangerous...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Araganzar posted:

"bloodborne scaling coefficients"

THANK YOU. It's so nice to know there's hard numbers on scaling. Looks like the Saw Spear is just strictly better for Arcane than the Cleaver, which is good to know. Looks like the Saw Spear, Stake Driver, Whirligig Saw, LHB, Cane, and Tonitrus (w/ buff) work the best under Arcane.

e: About the Tonitrus buff: I've seen some posts that it adds '0.40' arcane scaling. Does that mean it adds 0.40 to the coefficient, up to 0.9? If so that's one hell of a buff.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 5, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quoting the wiki:

quote:

Instead, transforming the Tonitrus charges it with electricity for about 7 seconds, adding Bolt ATK. In other words, the transformation of this weapon is a temporary Bolt Paper.

However, this buff is quite interesting as it is NOT a flat damage boost as other buffs.

This buff, instead, adds a static 40 Bolt damage, then adds a 0.40 Arcane scaling, and finally multiplies all Bolt damage by a whopping 70%.

edit: No word on whether the additional arcane scaling is additive or multiplicative though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is there any particular benefit to keeping my insight high in latter stages of the game? I'm wondering whether to start spending it on bloodstone chunks and such.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not really. Having high insight becomes a huge detriment once the game starts introducing enemies that do Frenzy buildup. Chunks are pretty expensive but if you can afford them it's a fine way to get rid of a lot of it at once. After that it's best to only consume insight giving items when you're going to immediately use it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I'd save it for buying rocks instead of chunks if possible.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Really? I knew the Burial Blade and Blades of Mercy were not real ARC weapons, but even the HMS? That A scaling going to waste is so disappointing. I figured it at least had good Arcane damage in transformed mode and the weapon page was misleading :negative:
I actually don't have any qualms with the tool damage right now; that's pretty good. It's my weapons that feel underwhelming. I've got adequate gems I feel (10-15%) for where I am (Forbidden Woods/Research Hall/Layer 3-4), so maybe it's my weapons? I'm using the Saw Cleaver for Fire and the Tonitrus for Bolt. Should I try the Whirligig or Cane instead?

The A scaling comes in for the transformed version’s projectiles, which are pure Arcane. Again, you want Nourishing gems on the HMS, because it switches damage type and scaling between forms and attacks, and you want a percentage damage bonus on all of them. It’s a very powerful weapon, but only truly shines in late-game/NG+.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Is there any particular benefit to keeping my insight high in latter stages of the game? I'm wondering whether to start spending it on bloodstone chunks and such.

Insight is a currency. The more you save up, the better and more efficiently you can spend it (blood rocks are the most expensive and best things you can use it on) but the more dangerous the world becomes - a few enemies get extra attacks and buffs to their weapons, and Frenzy, the most punishing status effect in the game, becomes more dangerous. Think of it as delving deep into arcane lore in order to uncover great treasures, but at terrible cost to your mind and body.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Something to also keep in mind about the Moonlight Sword is that the charge attack hits twice- once for the actual swing and again for the laser. Depending on your END you can get up to six hits out of one combo: three lasers and the physical swings that come with them. Bosses just totally melt.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
HMS is my main Arc weapon but I gem it for full arcane damage and it slaughters everything in its path.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

THANK YOU. It's so nice to know there's hard numbers on scaling. Looks like the Saw Spear is just strictly better for Arcane than the Cleaver, which is good to know. Looks like the Saw Spear, Stake Driver, Whirligig Saw, LHB, Cane, and Tonitrus (w/ buff) work the best under Arcane.

Yep, that's pretty accurate. The only thing I'd add is put your fire gems on a serrated weapon and your lightning gems on a righteous weapon. Thrust/Lightning weapons may seem weak early on because weakness to fire and/or serration predominates early and mid game bosses and tough enemies.

Among the reasons ARC is bad for an initial playthrough is choosing the right element depends on spoilery knowledge of bosses. Here is a nice list with actual numbers on defenses that shows what bosses are weak to what element as well as to thrust/blunt:
http://guidescroll.com/2015/04/bloodborne-boss-weaknesses-list/

The Tontrinus is truthfully a better lightning weapon than anything with ARC but I hate using it because it has no transformed moveset and the untransformed one is uniform, boring and inelegant. The HMS is just a joy to use.

edit: righteousness is not thrust

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 5, 2018

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Araganzar posted:

lightning gems on a weapon with viable thrusting attacks.

I was under the impression that thrust/lightning don't stack since thrust is physical and changing a weapon removes any damage from the thrust category. Where serrated is a quality of the weapon independent of damage type.

I mean, I use a lightning gemmed Rakuyo just for kicks because its stylish but I didn't think it was benefitting in the same way as serrated/fire stack

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That is correct and it’s why I gem the Church Pick for Lightning, it is both serrated and righteous in Both modes, so it’s my Kin weapon and Flaming Whirligig Saw is my beast weapon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

HMS is my main Arc weapon but I gem it for full arcane damage and it slaughters everything in its path.

I feel this option does rather sell the (excellent) untransformed version short, though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah that mode is fine but it doesn’t glow teen so it can get the FOH, mate

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was under the impression that thrust/lightning don't stack since thrust is physical and changing a weapon removes any damage from the thrust category. Where serrated is a quality of the weapon independent of damage type.

Oops, I was already thinking about both thrust and bolt being weaker early, I meant to say I like bolt on the LHB because it's also righteous. Fixed, my bad, thanks for the catch.

Bust Rodd posted:

That is correct and it’s why I gem the Church Pick for Lightning, it is both serrated and righteous in Both modes

This is one of the many reasons the Church Pick is just So Goddamm Goodd

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I fought Micolash today, and let me tell you I was not pleased to discover that his death animation is so long that you can kill him, then get killed by his spell, and discover it doesn't count.

Second time round, I sniped him from the balcony with the bowblade because gently caress having that happen again.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Araganzar posted:

The Tontrinus is truthfully a better lightning weapon than anything with ARC but I hate using it because it has no transformed moveset and the untransformed one is uniform, boring and inelegant. The HMS is just a joy to use.

I really like it though :kiddo:
I'm going to assume that the 0.40 mentioned is indeed a buff to the scaling coefficient (cause what else would it be, really?), cause the insane damage the Tonitrus puts out is in-line with the high-A scaling that boost would put it at. The +70% buff afterwards is just butter. What I want to know is how do Cold gems work exactly? I know they boost the scaling but how do the in-game numbers translate to the hidden true data numbers?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm rather surprised at how easy the last bosses were. Maybe I shouldn't have been given the last boss of Dark Souls 1 was a similar pushover, but I banged my head against the wall of Dark Souls 3's last boss for ages.

Some final thoughts on the game, I imagine everyone's already discussed these points to death:
This is definitely the best of all the Souls games, I'd say. Everything from the combat to the animations to the atmosphere was brilliantly done. I pretty much bought a PS4 entirely for this game and Horizon Zero Dawn, and I do feel both games justified that cost.
I really do hope that they keep the rally system in future games like this. I don't dare go out in Dark Souls without a shield that blocks at least 90% of damage, so this game really brought be out of my shell. I like the idea of the blood vial system over estus flasks but it was very tedious sometimes to have to go away from a hard boss to go farm them.
Horror isn't about fear and I'm glad the developers recognised this--you can't actually do fear in fiction (jump scares aren't fear, they're cheap unpleasant surprises), horror as a genre is about dread, unease and disturbance, and hats off to this game for being the only piece of "Lovecraftian" fiction that's ever worked as horror for me (the monologue about water from the sack of brains in the rafters of the research hall for some reason intensely disturbed me).
Speaking of hats, why is this like the only game where putting on a hat doesn't replace your hairstyle. I've been wanting this in video games basically since games with hats were invented. Er, games other than monopoly, anyway. More games with hats that don't replace your hair please.
Ending: I got the "true" ending, killing the Moon Presence. It's interesting (but entirely fitting for a Lovecraftian horror) that the true ending is the "bad" ending, at least as far as your character's humanity goes.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It's really funny on a run to go beat the DLC and come back from the high of taking on Maria and Orphan and just windmill dunk on Gehrman like it's nothing.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

I really like it though :kiddo:
I'm going to assume that the 0.40 mentioned is indeed a buff to the scaling coefficient (cause what else would it be, really?), cause the insane damage the Tonitrus puts out is in-line with the high-A scaling that boost would put it at. The +70% buff afterwards is just butter. What I want to know is how do Cold gems work exactly? I know they boost the scaling but how do the in-game numbers translate to the hidden true data numbers?

At the time I was doing ARC cold abyssals came from hard-to-farm rear end in a top hat bosses so I didn't. My understanding is on an ARC build cold abyssal gems significantly outperform +% gems of similar power/curse.

The short answer on how scaling numbers translate into shown attack value is not very well, the long answer is maybe but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. The best answer is to go here:
http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/10/best-blood-gems-setups.html

BB is kind of opaque about that stuff, the biggest example is moveset multipliers not applying to flat damage. This causes flat damage to jack up your attack value but when you hit something with a move with a nice multiplier you're like WHERE IS MY DAMAGE???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today in "holy poo poo they made a videogame" news:

Just noticed you can see the Healing Church Workshop from here in Central Yharnam.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Finishing up my very first play through. I stopped before going to see Gehrman like the doll says and instead finally started the DLC.

Holy poo poo is it a steep curve. I'm 73 and getting punk'd like I'm brand new. Then the environment got me with the guns just before the blood lickers.... I love it!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
The DLC is amazing through and through, including some of the best bosses From has ever done. Enjoy!

Speaking of, I one-shotted Ludwig with my pizza cutter-wielding STR guy the other day, which felt great. I could fight that boss all drat day and not get tired of it, I love it so much.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If I had to choose one boss fight from this game, it would be Ludwig. The music, the arena and boss make up for my favourite. Top three would be Ludwig, Lady Maria and Gascoigne.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If he did like 25% less damage, the Orphan would take 'best fight in the whole Souls series' for me. That fight preys so perfectly on player psychology. The Orphan has a counter-move for every single way you can react to spacing and dodging its attacks. If you take it slow but don't back off, the fight gets easier, but if you listen to the little voice in your head that says to give the Orphan ANY space it becomes much harder. They executed the idea of a boss that attacks mostly by reacting to you and the way you move really really well. It's like you're fighting a souls game protagonist.

edit: But as it stands, Ludwig holds the trophy. That fight is so good.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 6, 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

rotaryfun posted:

Finishing up my very first play through. I stopped before going to see Gehrman like the doll says and instead finally started the DLC.

Holy poo poo is it a steep curve. I'm 73 and getting punk'd like I'm brand new. Then the environment got me with the guns just before the blood lickers.... I love it!

I'm super critical of soulsborne poo poo and the dlc is the best thing from had done by a country mile

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Ludwig is also my favorite because of the incredible soundtrack (if you don't rush Phase 1 and hit the cutscene and the Phase 2 transition just right and it fades in to that blaring brass with him holding up the sword...goosebumps every time), the story behind the boss, the dialogue afterwards with his head, the fight itself...it's awesome.

I would also agree that the Orphan is the best boss fight they've ever made because once you get his moveset down and really figure him out you start to feel like the king of bloodborne, but you still need to be on your toes in phase 2 because he can throw a lot of curveballs. I started out on my first few attempts staying far far away from him which as said above just makes you more likely to get killed. By my final attempt where I beat him the first time I would just roll right up in his face in Phase 1 like "what? come on, hit me bitch! what you got?". But still dodging around like a scared turkey in Phase 2 and getting in my shots when I could. There was a good thirty seconds (an eternity in Souls boss time) on that attempt in Phase 2 where I had him within one hit of death but I had to play it safe and wait for an opening.

This game rules.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Finally got a ps4 after being without for a few years. Love this game so much. Finally doing chalice dungeons this time around, probably my new favorite game because of this alone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Loose Ifer posted:

Finally got a ps4 after being without for a few years. Love this game so much. Finally doing chalice dungeons this time around, probably my new favorite game because of this alone.

Strong recommendation for doing chunks of the storyline bosses in between depth 1-2-3 Dungeons, if only because there are a lot of dungeons and they can feel very samey if you do them back to back

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Strong recommendation for doing chunks of the storyline bosses in between depth 1-2-3 Dungeons, if only because there are a lot of dungeons and they can feel very samey if you do them back to back

I've been mixing them in when i get stuck on the story. The different weapon types i find in the chalice places are just different gem slots right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Loose Ifer posted:

I've been mixing them in when i get stuck on the story. The different weapon types i find in the chalice places are just different gem slots right?

Yeah but there's one actual new weapon in there somewhere, beast claws