Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Huh. It's almost like the author had never been on a plane at all!

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I can just imagine the smug look on her face as she marched up and down the length of the plane giving everyone a chance to congratulate such a Hero.

If I was one of the soldiers and I had said I don't want anything to eat I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to eat some lovely sandwich someone bought without asking me first so I don't waste it. Especially when the person who gave me the unwanted gift gets first class food (even though it's usually not really that great, especially the chicken dishes). If the flight attendant and pilot had such a soft spot for Are Troops, why didn't they get first class meals instead?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
poo poo, I'm missing out. Knew a few serviceman and bought them a round whenever they were home. Could've made some serious cash off of them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

poo poo, I'm missing out. Knew a few serviceman and bought them a round whenever they were home. Could've made some serious cash off of them.

Don't forget the tearful thank you from the bartender for your heroism.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Feb 5, 2018

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Kevin Palpatine posted:

nooooo you pay for it with HONOR, you hipster millennials never listen!

What's the current exchange rate for $HONOR to $EXPOSURE?

Stoatbringer has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Feb 5, 2018

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If it was a 20-something person I could believe that is a real thing, but there's no way an old man is that far up his own rear end.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If it was a 20-something person I could believe that is a real thing, but there's no way an old man is that far up his own rear end.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimblasingame/2014/07/25/thank-you-is-golden-no-problem-is-a-problem/#831b9e4340b0
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-problem-yes-its-a-big-problem/
http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/news/a27935/no-problem-thank-you/

Old people actually do get really mad when young people say "no problem." Old people are the worst.

Old people don't carry cards around like that though so that part is stdh.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Stoatbringer posted:

What's the current exchange rate for $HONOR to $EXPOSURE?

50 STARS and 13 STRIPES, son

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Someone once handed me an equally stupid business card about why I shouldn't talk on a cell phone on the train (not in the quiet car, I'm not a barbarian) and I could not stop laughing. I believe that this could happen, whether or not it actually did.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kazil posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimblasingame/2014/07/25/thank-you-is-golden-no-problem-is-a-problem/#831b9e4340b0
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-problem-yes-its-a-big-problem/
http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/news/a27935/no-problem-thank-you/

Old people actually do get really mad when young people say "no problem." Old people are the worst.

Old people don't carry cards around like that though so that part is stdh.

I read a Tumblr post once about how modern vampires can never get into houses because millennials just say "No problem" instead of "You're welcome" after being thanked.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

chitoryu12 posted:

I read a Tumblr post once about how modern vampires can never get into houses because millennials just say "No problem" instead of "You're welcome" after being thanked.

Millenials owning housing, yeah right. Stdh.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The “Not a problem” one at least is a real thing that people get offended about, and there are training programs that specifically tell workers to not use that phrase ever.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Double Punctuation posted:

The “Not a problem” one at least is a real thing that people get offended about, and there are training programs that specifically tell workers to not use that phrase ever.

I had one older man get pissy about saying "Have a good one" but he must've been out of cards at the time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Double Punctuation posted:

I say it all the time on the phone at work. I’d probably laugh out loud if criticized.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I usually give a dismissive "A mere bagatelle" with a slight foppish handwave.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

look buddy you either get 'no problem' or uncontrollable sobbing from me, your choice

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

chitoryu12 posted:

I say it all the time on the phone at work. I’d probably laugh out loud if criticized.

I've trained myself to say "you're welcome" instead of "no problem". Something like "you're welcome" acknowledges the compliment and the work while "no problem" sort of belittles it? I don't know. Corp Psych. Whatever. I just want people to like me.

Edit:

Scenario One:

quote:

Dude: Thanks for your help on that project. Your input really brought it all together.
Me: You're welcome.
Dude: *my compliment was excepted and appreciated validating both of our contributions*

Scenario Two:

quote:

Dude: Thanks for your help on that project. Your input really brought it all together.
Me: No problem.
Dude: "No problem, huh?" Is everything we do over here a joke to you? What, what we do is "no problem" but what you do is so important and hard. Well, gently caress you!

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Feb 6, 2018

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Did their grandparents complain when told "Oh, it was nothing at all." or "Think nothing of it!"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
When people thank me I fall to my knees and insist that I am not worthy of their gratitude before falling forward and sobbingly begging for forgiveness.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

When people thank me I tell them to gently caress off, I don't need their charity gratitude.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
They're all dumb as hell reactions but the anger at "have a good one" is my favourite. I'm just imagining this enraged old man sitting over two empty whiskey bottles going "have a good what?! HAVE A GOOD WHAT?! WHAT DID HE MEAN?!". The only appropriate response to someone getting mad at any of those phrases is "eat my entire rear end in a top hat"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I use both you're welcome and no problem :shrug: they have different implications imo. You're welcome is sort of formal and gracious, while no problem is more of a friendly "I was happy to do it!"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Danaru posted:

They're all dumb as hell reactions but the anger at "have a good one" is my favourite. I'm just imagining this enraged old man sitting over two empty whiskey bottles going "have a good what?! HAVE A GOOD WHAT?! WHAT DID HE MEAN?!". The only appropriate response to someone getting mad at any of those phrases is "eat my entire rear end in a top hat"
The proper response(once you're done telling them to gently caress off) is pity for them having such a hollow life that they have an opinion, any opinion, on which stock reactions to "thank you" are appropriate.

At least most of the other "kids these days :bahgawd:" stuff olds complain about is about something meaningful, like buying houses or avocado toast.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I use both you're welcome and no problem :shrug: they have different implications imo. You're welcome is sort of formal and gracious, while no problem is more of a friendly "I was happy to do it!"

That's the same way I see it, and I am a little notorious for being rather informal whenever possible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They're informal shorthand for "Please, have a nice day" and "Not a problem at all (to fix)" or "Not a problem for me to do for you"

If someone ever hands me one of those cards, I'll say, "Think nothing"*

We have a guy at work who will lose his loving mind at people if they say "Really?" to him. So, that's always fun to do.

*STWon'tH.txt

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Occasionally I'll tell a departing person to take care. I am now in fear of retribution from the olds.

Is this the same in-your-face demographic as the merry-christmas-not-happy-holidays people?

I never know what to say in December anyway, may as well use a blank stare.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Don't tickle the old peoples hang ups. Go for the throat

Instead of "No problem" "nemas problemas"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've just appropriated the Australian "No worries" and given myself a new problem.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
She'll be right.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Katt posted:

Don't tickle the old peoples hang ups. Go for the throat

Instead of "No problem" "nemas problemas"

Eeehhhh, it's no skin off my back, gramps.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Danaru posted:

It's like saying "Who's a good boy?" to a dog, and then instead of getting all excited and being petted he spends the rest of his life in existential terror because it is not sure if he is, in fact, a good boy or if his master - who he loves dearly - considers somebody else to be a good boy.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We only have to coddle the boomers for a few more years before those FEMA death camps get up to speed.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

How about some saccharine and schmaltz backed up by the world's neatest handwriting from a 7-yo boy?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thanks a lot for the diabetes, dylan.

also lol at celebrating being 4 hours smoke free. That's like an alcoholic saying he's working on his addiction because he's sober between the time he runs out of liquor and the time he goes to the liquor store for more.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

yeah I eat rear end posted:

thanks a lot for the diabetes, dylan.

also lol at celebrating being 4 hours smoke free. That's like an alcoholic saying he's working on his addiction because he's sober between the time he runs out of liquor and the time he goes to the liquor store for more.

I had an unfortunate acquaintance who celebrated 24 hours drug free. A few days later he stopped counting and then never talked about it again.

It reminds me of this third party situation you can get into. When someone (most commonly) quits smoking, and you're trying to be all supportive and then when they start smoking again. You have to act like nothing but still somehow be able to channel enthusiasm the next year when they quit smoking again.

Like psychological second hand smoke.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

24 hours is at least the first meaningful step if you're trying to break a daily habit. But yeah I've known people like what you described, whether it's quitting smoking, losing weight/starting a specific diet, or even starting a hobby. Outside you have to be supportive, but inside you're just like "this is going to be future stdh.txt".

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

How about some saccharine and schmaltz backed up by the world's neatest handwriting from a 7-yo boy?

Dear mom, ganked a pack of smokes from you.

YOLO, Dylan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I never realized how harmful it was to ignore all common knowledge of cigarettes and fill my house with a choking fume of noxious gases 24/7 until a literal child told me so."